I have 2x had my Blackberry unlocked by randomly swiping

1st - when I was pulling my phone out to use it and touched the screen and moved it just enough to line up properly somehow.
    2nd - when I challenged my GF to figure it out she actually got it by moving the numbers around and she did not have a clue where my secret number / spot was.

Im wondering if this picture password has some flaws which can make it less secure. Anybody else experience this ?

I'm thinking BB needs to make a default amount of distance you move the numbers mandatory first to be moved to avoid these accidents. Cant be having people randomly figuring it out.
    11-24-13 06:49 PM
    That's weird...sounds more like a lucky guess by your GF. I dnt use the pic password as I feel it's more for looks than security.

Magically appeared using the Mind Control app on my BerryLeaks Z10 STL100-4/10.2.1.1055 while being the Greatest
    00stryder likes this.
    11-24-13 07:19 PM

1st - when I was pulling my phone out to use it and touched the screen and moved it just enough to line up properly somehow.
    2nd - when I challenged my GF to figure it out she actually got it by moving the numbers around and she did not have a clue where my secret number / spot was.

Im wondering if this picture password has some flaws which can make it less secure. Anybody else experience this ?

I'm thinking BB needs to make a default amount of distance you move the numbers mandatory first to be moved to avoid these accidents. Cant be having people randomly figuring it out.
    I'm very curious about this for a couple of reasons.
    1. If your secret number is close to the secret location when you go to unlock your phone then it won't unlock the phone and you have to use a different number that's further away from the secret location. So I'm not sure how it would accidentally unlock your phone.
    2. How many tries did your girlfriend use to unlock your phone? I ask this because I have shown people several times my unlock (without telling them the number and location of course), and then challenge them to unlock my phone and they couldn't after several tries.

Posted via CB10
    11-24-13 07:22 PM
    1. If your secret number is close to the secret location when you go to unlock your phone then it won't unlock the phone and you have to use a different number that's further away from the secret location. So I'm not sure how it would accidentally unlock your phone.
    2. How many tries did your girlfriend use to unlock your phone? I ask this because I have shown people several times my unlock (without telling them the number and location of course), and then challenge them to unlock my phone and they couldn't after several tries.

Posted via CB10
    I know it's all luck for sure but it was unlocked 2x without trying and guessing.
    One by myself not paying attention and other by the GF fast enough that she didn't require putting in the password manually.

All luck i understand but 2x bothers me ... I do still use it but needs some more protection features i think into it. it's Beta so never know i guess
    11-24-13 07:34 PM

same here... works fine.

Posted via CB10
    11-24-13 07:37 PM
    It's not anymore secure as the other options available for device lock on BB10, especially not the extended password option, but there are likely more variables involved with this scenario.

For one, if your "secret place" is near any of the edges of the screen, it'd certainly be easier for an accidental brush or swipe from when you remove the password from your pocket to inadvertently activate the lock. I don't know if that's what happened in your case, but it's plausible. Regardless, the number grid is randomized every time it's rendered in screen, so even if you accidentally unlocked your phone once or twice because of this, it'd likely be very difficult to reproduce regularly.

Second, although your girlfriend may not have known your actual "secret place" or number, if she's ever watched you use the picture password before then it's possible for her to have "a good guess" of both by watching your eyes and gestures. I think the intuitive thing to do is to hold your finger over the number and move it onto the correct location on the screen. Unfortunately, doing so around others can make it possible for them to emulate your actions even if they don't know for sure.

What I've trained myself to do (just from being paranoid) is to know my number and "area" in my head, find the right number on the screen, and manipulate the number grid to allow the two to intersect without directly interacting with either. It's not as difficult as it sounds, and it doesn't really add much time to the unlocking process.

Either way, the process isn't perfect, and I think it's just BlackBerry playing around with different graphical interfaces to potentially give users another option in the future (if the feature remains in the next official build).

Posted via CB10
    11-24-13 07:46 PM
    I never hold the secret number with my finger for the following reasons.

1) It's easy to see what your secret # is.
    2) It's hard to place the # in the right place when your finger is covering it.

Just the way I use it.

Posted via CB10
    11-24-13 08:09 PM
    I never hold the secret number with my finger for the following reasons.

1) It's easy to see what your secret # is.
    2) It's hard to place the # in the right place when your finger is covering it.

Just the way I use it.

Posted via CB10
    This is how I use mine too. It also lets anyone watching believe you are using the number under your finger to unlock when you're actually using a totally different number. I think this adds to the security because someone would have to watch really carefully to figure out which number you're using and where you're putting that number. I think this is a very secure unlock feature and if someone can guess it in less than 10 tries then they should seriously buy the lottery. Plus the placement of the correct number has to be within a couple millimeters for it to work.

Posted via CB10
    Last edited by SilkySunshine; 11-24-13 at 09:54 PM.
    11-24-13 09:10 PM
    If anything I find it too fussy about the placement of the number. I have had to go past 5 times twice now even when taking care to put the right number into the right spot.
    11-24-13 11:17 PM

#2...she hypnotized you and learned ALL your secrets...lol

Trusted Member Genius
    11-25-13 12:55 AM
    I wish I could use. My stupid exchange account being active disables it. Security policies I guess.

Posted via CB10
    11-25-13 03:50 AM
    #2...she hypnotized you and learned ALL your secrets...lol

Trusted Member Genius
    Hahahah I was starting to question her talents when she did it ...

And my fingers are too big to use my finger directly on the number I then can't see the damn spot on the picture ... plus i would think that would be common sense.. lol
    11-25-13 05:08 AM