It's weird to see Phone at the top of the list for memory usage. Explains the laggy behavior of phone while making or receiving calls or even selecting name of the person to call from the contact list.

I'm so frustrated with the lag in contact list, phone, broken box/onedrive connection (as i'm struggling to attach files on emails since OS update) , that it's forcing me to think about other platforms.

I hope BlackBerry updates the OS soon.

Is anyone else facing similar issues? If yes, please share any work around for the problems.

Thanks!
    Phone using massive amount of memory on Z30!-img_20150519_220732.png

CB10 on Z30
    05-19-15 11:43 AM
    Love my Z30 and I doubt you are the only one. As an old BlackBerry habit, I reboot mine every morning at 04:30 while I do my tai chi. Also, not sure a new OS will fix your problem. Check the apps you're using.
    anon(5799362) likes this.
    05-19-15 11:58 AM
    How many phone calls do you make and receive daily? My phone app only uses about 50MB, but I ask because we all have different use cases. It's possible to clear your call logs? As for your email attachments, I couldn't explain that since my experience with that has been fine and has not changed.

Posted via CB10
    05-19-15 11:59 AM
    It's weird to see Phone at the top of the list for memory usage. Explains the laggy behavior of phone while making or receiving calls or even selecting name of the person to call from the contact list.

I'm so frustrated with the lag in contact list, phone, broken box/onedrive connection (as i'm struggling to attach files on emails since OS update) , that it's forcing me to think about other platforms.

I hope BlackBerry updates the OS soon.

Is anyone else facing similar issues? If yes, please share any work around for the problems.

Thanks!
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20150519_220732.png 
Views:	1360 
Size:	76.4 KB 
ID:	353572

CB10 on Z30
    I've been having a similar problem on my Passport... Recently, the battery is training super fast due to memory usage. I figured out that my issue was related to the last Amazon Appstore update. Apps don't seem to install properly now on my device, and they seem to be stuck in an unpackaging mode that was killing my battery. I ended up clearing the data out on the Appstore and it solved the issue instantly.

Similar to your picture, the Amazon Appstore was not listed as a major consumer of memory... But it definitely was.
    methodinsane likes this.
    05-19-15 12:11 PM
    How many phone calls do you make and receive daily? My phone app only uses about 50MB, but I ask because we all have different use cases. It's possible to clear your call logs? As for your email attachments, I couldn't explain that since my experience with that has been fine and has not changed.

Posted via CB10
    Thanks. I am a heavy user of phone. Make about 30 to 40 calls a day, and, receive a similar number of calls. It's my primary phone for business use. Haven't really timed it, but i suppose, 3 to 4 hours of phone calls each day.
    05-19-15 08:15 PM
    I've been having a similar problem on my Passport... Recently, the battery is training super fast due to memory usage. I figured out that my issue was related to the last Amazon Appstore update. Apps don't seem to install properly now on my device, and they seem to be stuck in an unpackaging mode that was killing my battery. I ended up clearing the data out on the Appstore and it solved the issue instantly.

Similar to your picture, the Amazon Appstore was not listed as a major consumer of memory... But it definitely was.
    Thanks. Will try this.
    05-19-15 08:16 PM
    Mine looks similar to both of yours......and I've only utilized the latest (leaked) OS on any of my BlackBerries.

Still seeing the same results. Even without any apps, I would be surprised to see the numbers significantly change. JMHO.

Posted from my Z30: OS 10.3.2.680. (~_*)
    Last edited by Blacklatino; 05-21-15 at 08:20 PM.
    05-20-15 05:48 PM
    You're not the only one OP

Z30STA100-2/10.3.1.2744
    05-22-15 01:22 PM
    I've seen this issue in Z3 and Z30 both.

Posted using BlackBerry Z30 on 10.3.1.2558
    05-22-15 02:07 PM
    Luckily RAM or Memory usage is volatile, meaning that every time you shut down you device (not reboot) all memory will be reset back to zero.

So my short term solution would be to shut down you device every couple days and see if this helps

There should normally be around 900mb - 1GB free RAM at all times to ensure smooth running of your device.

Posted via BlackBerry Q5 on 10.3.1.2576
    Blacklatino and ldd0414 like this.
    05-22-15 03:07 PM
    I've also been having this issue on my Z10 and Z30 after upgrading to 10.3.1. It seems like a memory leak in the phone app and restarting the OS once a day or so helps.

Although the Amazon app store comment is pretty interesting. How can the app store cause the phone app to consume more memory? If so what do I need to do in order to the clear out the Amazon App Store As was suggested?

Posted via CB10
    05-23-15 08:33 AM
    LOL.Nothing major here. Reinstalled the OS (a few days ago) and gained 1 Gig......before adding any apps.

After a few days, back to normal. This will be an ongoing battle.

Posted from my Z30; 10.3.2.680 OS.
    05-23-15 08:58 AM
    Luckily RAM or Memory usage is volatile, meaning that every time you shut down you device (not reboot) all memory will be reset back to zero.

So my short term solution would be to shut down you device every couple days and see if this helps

There should normally be around 900mb - 1GB free RAM at all times to ensure smooth running of your device.

You are the second person that says this. I laughed really heard at the first guy but now I am starting to be suspicious. My Q10 boots up with 1GB of memory already utilized. Starting browser, opening a few tabs, a few searches and I am already at 1.5 GB.

I only have 3 email accounts, no social networks of any kind, not even skype installed. Only 1 android app and pretty mush using mostly build in apps. Box and Dropbox as well but I don't think this matters much.

Can a few of you post RAM screen after reboot and 2-3 minutes wait period?

Posted via CB10
    05-23-15 11:06 AM
    BlackBerry browser takes up a lot of memory while you are browsing but it releases all the memory taken as soon as it is closed.

Other than that, there is a memory leak issue with the phone app which many people including me have been facing.

Adding my 2 days usage memory chart since last reboot.

Attachment 354148

Posted using BlackBerry Z30
    05-23-15 11:22 AM
    After a reboot.

Unfortunately, I don't get this "every time I reboot" or when I've installed more apps.
    05-23-15 12:43 PM
    After my Q5 has been re-booted (nothing opened yet)

Memory goes up to 1GB usage when I've opened the browser, bbm, crackberry and e-mails ect. But never normally goes above that.

Phone using massive amount of memory on Z30!-img_20150523_214424.png

05-23-15 02:52 PM

Thanks.

Tried this. Free RAM has stabilised at 840MB, 12 hours since shut down. Reboot, while freed the memory temporarily, didn't ever give me this much free RAM after a few hours. Will update in a day to see how it's performed.

Having said this, i was hoping the lag in Phone and Contacts goes away, but, nope! No change whatsoever. Looks like an OS update will be the only solution, which means we are on tenter hooks till BB releases the next major update.
    05-24-15 10:25 PM
    After my Q5 has been re-booted (nothing opened yet)

Memory goes up to 1GB usage when I've opened the browser, bbm, crackberry and e-mails ect. But never normally goes above that.

Name:	IMG_20150523_214424.png 
Views:	253 
Size:	52.4 KB 
ID:	354179

You definitely have something to show us there.

Could you post post more screenshots to show the entire list?

Also, how many email/social accounts do you have? Have you done any tweaks?

Posted via CB10
    05-25-15 08:12 AM
    I might be wrong about this. I cannot swear about what I am about to say but still if it helps..

I read on one of the forum about same problem and it was created by CALL RECORDING app.. are you using any call recording app.. if you're then try removing and see if that helps..

Posted via my awesome Passport
    05-25-15 11:09 AM
    I'm not using any call recording app. The issue is still there.

Posted using BlackBerry Z30 on 10.3.1.2558
    05-25-15 12:21 PM
    Update!

Restarting post a shutting down (not rebooting) seems to have made some difference to free memory, but is still nowhere close to what I was hoping for.

Memory usage by Phone has reduced but the laggy behaviour (delay in making & receiving calls, delay in selecting contacts from Phone app) has persisted. Contact app is equally, if not more, laggy. And, it keeps messing around with my contact details, duplicating them. These functions are critical for me to work efficiently, and are starting to really hurt.

I'm seriously starting to contemplate a move away from BB10, having been a loyal user for 15 years.

And, it's not just because of the laggy behavior or memory leak, but also broken performance with cloud services, inability to print over wifi (I have the print hand app), broken music player, general lack of support for the ecosystem, especially by relevant companies, poorly executed OS update (10.3.1) and a poorly updated calendar (another critical function for me).

Only thing going for BB10 is battery life, and the hub, both of which I'm a sucker for. Security, many will argue, is critical. Which, it is. And BlackBerry is great at it. But, I have started to lose patience, and am starting to weigh trade-offs.

Phone using massive amount of memory on Z30!-img_20150526_221905.png

CB10 on Z30
    05-26-15 12:39 PM
    Update!

Restarting post a shutting down (not rebooting) seems to have made some difference to free memory, but is still nowhere close to what I was hoping for.

Memory usage by Phone has reduced but the laggy behaviour (delay in making & receiving calls, delay in selecting contacts from Phone app) has persisted. Contact app is equally, if not more, laggy. And, it keeps messing around with my contact details, duplicating them. These functions are critical for me to work efficiently, and are starting to really hurt.

I'm seriously starting to contemplate a move away from BB10, having been a loyal user for 15 years.

And, it's not just because of the laggy behavior or memory leak, but also broken performance with cloud services, inability to print over wifi (I have the print hand app), broken music player, general lack of support for the ecosystem, especially by relevant companies, poorly executed OS update (10.3.1) and a poorly updated calendar (another critical function for me).

Only thing going for BB10 is battery life, and the hub, both of which I'm a sucker for. Security, many will argue, is critical. Which, it is. And BlackBerry is great at it. But, I have started to lose patience, and am starting to weigh trade-offs.

Name:	IMG_20150526_221905.png 
Views:	363 
Size:	77.3 KB 
ID:	354619

CB10 on Z30
    There is indeed a slight delay while making and receiving calls... that delay had been "introduced" in the official 10.3.1 update. Not sure where it comes from but it's not related to memory usage.

As for the rest, remember that it's a duo core phone and I find it pretty snappy compared to quad core android phones out there, especially the S4 and S5.

As for battery, the Z30 is stellar. Nothing much comes close to the performance of the Z30 in the all touch phones available out there.

Posted via CB10
    05-26-15 12:49 PM
    I don't want to drive anyone away from BlackBerry, but loyalty for loyalty's sake does not make sense. If the device is causing you a significant hindrance, then maybe it is indeed time to try something else. At worst you may leave BlackBerry for good, which would be unfortunate, but it would allow you a look over the fence and you may also start to appreciate your old device's qualities in a new light.

BlackBerry offer a real alternative in the market and people need to support it to give it a chance of survival, that's part of the reason why I will stick with BlackBerry for the moment. OTOH, BlackBerry's current strategy is eroding the key features that make their devices special, so at some point I may have to throw in the towel too.
    05-26-15 01:01 PM
    Mine looks similar to both of yours......and I've only utilized the latest (leaked) OS on any of my BlackBerries.

http://i276.photobucket.com/albums/k...pscd10b0ca.png

Still seeing the same results. Even without any apps, I would be surprised to see the numbers significantly change. JMHO.

Posted from my Z30: OS 10.3.2.680. (~_*)
    Turn off the feature RUN WHEN MINIMIZED and check it .
    How can I turn on the black coloured theme ?
    Z3STJ100-1/10.3.1.2576

Posted via CB10
    05-26-15 05:52 PM
    The memory is going to change- in some cases depending on the app selection. Some are memory hogs. Let's face it, you may not want many, but you want certain apps. Otherwise, if all anyone wanted to do was make phone calls and receive emails, I have an old Dell and Palm Handhelds, or several Motorola Razrs that still work.

As far as the black screen, you need to check your BlackBerry to see if it is an option. I have a Z30.
    Last edited by Blacklatino; 05-27-15 at 08:07 AM.
    05-26-15 08:38 PM
28 12