Tomorrow marks the first week of me owning my BlackBerry Q10. As much as I love the device, the auto brightness built into the phone, which you can't turn off, drives me nuts. In dim conditions, the screen is too dark, and I enjoy using my phone at full brightness (colours just look better). In BB10, you aren't given the choice whether you want auto brightness turned on or off, and I strongly believe this is a feature BlackBerry needs to include in their next update. Below you will be able to find the link to a petition I started, and I hope majority of members can sign it so BlackBerry finally adds the option back. Even if you don't care about auto brightness, do us all a favor and help get this feature back on the platform, because it'll only make BB10 that much better. Thank you all, and be sure to share the link so we can raise awareness to BlackBerry.

Petition: https://www.change.org/petitions/bla...-blackberry-10
    05-07-13 09:18 PM
    Welcome to CrackBerry. Hopefully someone can shed some light on your questions...
    05-07-13 09:24 PM
    I actually love the way the auto brightness works in bb10. Feels like it always adjust perfectly to my situation.

Posted via CB10
    05-08-13 05:24 AM
    I, too, am quite impressed with the auto brightness on the z10. It is the ONLY electronic device on which I have NOT had to adjust the brightness with varying ambient light. In particular, in dark conditions, the z10 is the only device that isn't blindingly bright when set to auto brightness.

Posted via CB10
    05-08-13 04:07 PM
    I find the auto brightness very good in varying daylight conditions but too dim in dark conditions.

Posted via CB10
    05-08-13 04:16 PM
    Auto brightness option is on my list of things I want added. I find the constant adjusting annoying. Especially in the evening it keeps going to dim depending on how it catches room lighting. Always been one of the first things I disabled on a new phone

Posted via Z10
    05-08-13 04:50 PM
    I'm pretty sure I read they use a certain type of software for the auto brightness, that scans and adjusts the brightness depending on the lighting. I can't confirm but don't they can just add it, without doing a lot of additional code that is.

Posted via CB10
    05-08-13 06:47 PM
    To be fair, the auto screen brightness works very well. But why don't you just create your own options?! Jeez, everyone always relies on BlackBerry to spoon feed them, just put some black tape along the top of your phone. Who cares if it blocks the camera! It's totally worth it, and you'll find it sexy after a while. Just leave the screen brightness on full setting and it will never auto adjust again!
    / sarcasm.

On second thought, I can't argue having an option to just enable it or not.. lol. Seems simpler that way.

Posted via CB10
    05-08-13 07:26 PM
    We've had other threads on this issue, and I still have the impression that there are some significant hardware differences from one Z10 (or Q10 too, I guess) to the next. Some people say that they keep their brightness at the lowest setting and it's fine. I used to do that on my 9900 and it was, in fact, fine. On my Z10, it's not fine. In normal indoor lighting conditions, it's okay; outdoors in sunlight, also okay. But if it's at night and I'm watching TV in a mostly darkened room and I pick up the Z10 to do something, it's way too dim. I can't imagine anyone thinking it's fine, so I suspect hardware (screen or sensor) variations.

Lately, I've been keeping the brightness slider right under the 'S' in "Brightness settings". This is pretty good for normal indoor and outdoor use. In the darkened room scenario, I still think it gets a bit dim, but at that setting it's acceptable.

Being able to turn auto-brightness off would be okay, but I think I'd prefer another slider that lets the user adjust the way it works: maybe a minimum brightness setting, so the GLO algorithm couldn't push it any lower than that.
    05-09-13 08:09 AM
    To be fair, the auto screen brightness works very well. But why don't you just create your own options?! Jeez, everyone always relies on BlackBerry to spoon feed them, just put some black tape along the top of your phone. Who cares if it blocks the camera! It's totally worth it, and you'll find it sexy after a while. Just leave the screen brightness on full setting and it will never auto adjust again!
    / sarcasm.

On second thought, I can't argue having an option to just enable it or not.. lol. Seems simpler that way.

Posted via CB10
    That was good I thought you were completely serious until I read the "sarcasm"
    05-09-13 09:57 AM
    You know, the other thing to keep in mind is that we all have different eyeballs. One brightness level might not work for someone else.

If you've spent you childhood staring at the sun, well then perhaps you'll need a much brighter screen

Is it possible for an app developer to make an app for you? With all respect in the world, maybe this is such a small problem for BB that they won't ever get to it. They have get some other things working perfectly, first. I don't know though, just thinking. I'll sign your petition if it helps
    05-09-13 10:02 AM