There is a package out there written in Python (quite OS-independent) called Radicale that interoperates well with BB10 devices, including no duplicate contact or calendar problems.

The web site for the distribution is at Radicale - CalDAV and CardDAV Server - A Simple Calendar and Contact Server

I have this running here and it works perfectly well, with the following caveats:

1. For contacts you must use SSL (and you darn well should for calendars as otherwise passwords are transmitted in the clear!) Fortunately Radicale can do so easily.

2. When you first set up the contacts database the phone will refuse. Go into the data storage directory you have specified and assuming you called the contact database "mydomain.com/username/contacts/" there will be a directory "username" under "collections", and under that will be a file called "contacts.props" In there you will find a line that says {"tag": "VCALENDAR"}. Change the "VCALENDAR" to "VADDRESSBOOK" -- the phone will then connect to it.

Note that the nice thing about using Radicale is that unlike most of the other potential solutions the actual file storage format (by default) remains fully-compatible. That is, the contact database is an actual ".vcf" file in format (you can name it that if you want) which means its portable. In addition the Calendar file is also portable.

Needless to say this is extremely useful if you wish to transport an existing contact or calendar database into Radicale, especially considering that BB10 devices utterly refuse to import any other than the first contact in a VCF file you have on your SD card or which is emailed to you. (By the way BlackBerry, that's a nasty bug you should fix.) It also means that if in the future you need to export OUT of Radicale it's simply a matter of copying the file over. Radicale can also use a database backend instead of simple files but doing so will obviously break the cross-system compatibility feature.

The authentication options include using a co-hosted IMAP server (which is really nice if you have multiple users) or a simple .htaccess file. See the documentation.

I have looked at all the other "answers" to this problem that I can find for a Unix-style host such as "owncloud" and similar; this is much simpler to set up and does not suffer from any of the bugs. It is, however, just a server.

It also interoperates properly with Thunderbird's Lightning extension for calendars if you want a multi-platform solution. It should work for pretty much anything else that handles calendars and contacts.

The only "gotcha" I've found is that an emailed event invite cannot be automatically saved to your calendar, which is rather odd because manual additions and changes to the calendar work just fine. I'm looking into whether they're missing capability that is not being advertised in that regard.

Enjoy -- and break the tie to the NSA-spyware-infested cloud services such as Google (along with their propensity to duplicate contact entries!)
    10-08-13 01:07 PM
    Spiffy!

Trusted Member Genius
    10-08-13 02:23 PM
    when in doubt,put in cloud
    10-08-13 02:26 PM
    that's very interesting
    10-08-13 02:26 PM
    BTW if you are only syncing contacts against your phone turn the time way down. It defaults to 30 minutes; set it to 2 or 4 hours.

The reason is that the phone will instantly push changes made on the phone to the repository -- it does not wait for the time to expire (yes, I looked), so the only reason to have the sync time at all is to pick up changes from somewhere else.

If there is nowhere else why are you spending the battery power to perform a sync against a data set that is not changing?

The same is true for calendars, incidentally, but with a calendar you are far more likely to have multiple "things" interacting with it (e.g. your desktop computer, etc.) so the sync there is far more useful.
    10-08-13 03:02 PM