....and he (Jim Basillie) has surveillance capitalism on his mind, and muses about Canadian IP strategy on TV Ontario ...just wished he asked (and was asked by the host) for the Gov to cough up the 1 Billion (as claimed ) to resuscitate the former modest IP producer in BlackBerry, by relaunching a really privacy oriented BB10 Smartphone on the 64bit platform.

https://www.tvo.org/video/programs/t...e-21st-century
    rarsen and elfabio80 like this.
    02-09-19 06:46 AM
    if it is true, wonderful oppotuniety to launch new 5G handset - possibly no app needed (or at least not the one currently on market). gutsy move. with his track record to fish a boat out of artic, if he focus on it, BB10 might just be a phoenix.
    02-09-19 08:34 PM
    I doubt it. They spoke about accumulating innovative IP that they could commercialize; nothing about pouring money into building legacy handsets that didn't / won't sell.
    02-10-19 05:15 PM
    I doubt it. They spoke about accumulating innovative IP that they could commercialize; nothing about pouring money into building legacy handsets that didn't / won't sell.
    Well like Nortel, without something to build, the IP innovation is a bit more of a challenge. Not sure how much you can IP software alone, let alone figure out who has copied snippets of it. So the IP conversation indirectly points to the need to innovate/build somethin'.

Didn't sell? Sure it did. Did it sell enough? Well....did they have as deep a booster as Tesla has had for what now? How many years? What a whole decade already and yet to crack a profit, with serious annual losses. And heck who needs another car company? Isn't it in an already very crowded field, in a supposedly slow growth market? Nothing against Tesla here (keep plugging away I say, GM will eventually buy you (maybe)), but this didn't stop Tesla. Don't know why Blackberry got stopped. Guess their backers didn't play chicken on their Bicycles when they were young(lol).
    02-10-19 10:03 PM
    okay clarification....chicken was played on the fields and bike trails back then, but these guys in their videos take it to a whole 'nother level of irresponsible danger (good skills though)....
    (at 48second mark).....skateboardin' move over, these kids are old school (only 2 wheels, not 4).
    02-11-19 01:12 AM
    if Jim can get apple to fund new venture, it would be awesome. https://forums.appleinsider.com/disc...-action#latest
    Personally, TCL is not focus enough on China market even Key seris are branded as their own BBMo. (may be KB is not chinese thing - writing is better input as character in china). BB still sold 13 million dollar of devices (hand held devices, not radar) in 9 month (of FY2019). plus 9 million dollar of SAF fee just in last 3 month, the legacy still holds on. If Jim set his heart to it, there are enough sparks to lit a fire if he play his card correctly.
    02-12-19 05:11 PM