Give it a year, all new BlackBerry devices will run Android. Just my opinion.

Now, taking that as potentially true, I have a question.

On current Android / iPhone can you disable specific permissions on apps the way you can on Blackberry?

If Blackberry require me to have a Google account by next year then I'll be ending my 10-year relationship with BlackBerry in a heartbeat (as will my organisation) and iPhone will win my business by default, but the question still interests me.

Anyone?

Posted via CB10
    09-02-15 01:04 PM
    The newest Android finally has the ability to change permissions, not sure how similar it is though.

IOS it tells you what's needed but you cannot change them
    09-02-15 01:11 PM
    Thanks Paul. Hopefully this means that it will work on Blackberry when it uses Android. I wonder could BlackBerry find a way to run Android without requiring you to stay logged in to a Google account. Probably not possible?

Posted via CB10
    09-02-15 01:28 PM
    On current Android / iPhone can you disable specific permissions on apps the way you can on Blackberry?
    On Android, there are two ways. Both suck, but one sucks more than the other.

Crappy method: There's this thing in the OS called App Ops. It only shows you the most superficial permissions that an app may require, such as Location if it's a location-centric app.

Less crappy method: Use an app like Advanced Permissions Manager. Unlike App Ops, this shows you all the permissions in detail, and allows you to enable/disable them straight out of the raw APK files before installation. And that is good, right? HOWEVER.. due to the fact that Android OS wasn't designed around giving you much of a choice when it comes to privacy, disabling certain permissions can cause the apps to crash on startup, or act weird during use, unlike BB10 which simply disables the functionality related to the permission you disabled without getting mad at you for doing so.
    09-06-15 04:39 AM
    Thanks Paul. Hopefully this means that it will work on Blackberry when it uses Android. I wonder could BlackBerry find a way to run Android without requiring you to stay logged in to a Google account. Probably not possible?

Posted via CB10
    Yes you can run Android without logging into your Google account. But you can't use apps that require google services then. And you can't download from play store. So you pretty much have a Android phone then which is quite similiar to the Android runtime in current bb10 devices.

A classic post via CB10 app
    09-06-15 06:14 AM
    To make it short:

Apple wants to know everything. Google Wants to know more. And both are getting what they want. Either way, even when you turn off the permissions your Android phone will call to its mother ship. When you actually read the terms and conditions, you'll get scared. That's one of the reasons why they're so long, they don't want people to read it.
    And it works. Windows 10 is the most recent example.

Old_Mil likes this.
    09-06-15 06:20 AM
    "One account. All of Google.
    Sign in to continue to Google+"

"One Ring to rule them all,
    One ring to find them;
    One ring to bring them all.
    and in the darkness bind them."
    David Tyler likes this.
    09-06-15 09:13 AM