Hello CrackBerry brain trust,

Let's start with the big question. Does BlackBerry still do data compression on consumer devices using BB10? I have a Z10 on the Rogers network and they charge a premium for data usage on BlackBerry devices. They do this, the nice lady explained, because BlackBerry compresses data which means that even though I'm paying more than my friends on iPhones and Android devices, I'm actually paying less because of the incredible data compression I enjoy. The following post on the BlackBerry support forums would indicate that we BB10 users do not enjoy said data compression.

https://supportforums.blackberry.com...n/td-p/2836764

If this is true, then Rogers is scamming us by charging for a service we don't actually get? Here's an example of the difference. Consider their Flex data plan. The bottom tier is 100MB for $10 a month if you don't own a BlackBerry, but $15 for the same 100 MB if you are on a Z10.

Over to you, CrackBerry.

--
    Marcel Gagn�
    Note: This massagee wos nat speel or gramer-checkered.
    05-15-15 09:38 AM
    Sounds like a scam.

Posted via CB10
    05-15-15 09:39 AM
    Totally wrong.

All bb10 phones use the same data that every other smartphone uses. Plain, ordinary, data.

What the nice person at Rogers is confused about us the old BBOS phones that required a BIS data line. That did use compression, and was an added cost for most carriers. The US carriers, somehow avoided passing on that cost to US customers, but it was an added cost for everyone else in the world.

BB10 did away with that, and if you're still paying for it, you're getting hosed.

Posted via CB10
    05-15-15 09:50 AM
    There is "some" data compression on BB10 : BBM, BES connected devices (internally, cloud, or provider hosted), along with MMS (providers do this on their own mind you with any device)

Posted by BlackBerry accept no compromise!
    05-15-15 09:53 AM
    Any compression you might get out of an individual application is NOT the same as the old BIS compression.

OP needs to tell Rogers to get him on a standard data plan. You no longer need a special BlackBerry BIS plan.

The only reason I kept my old BB plan was because I was getting 6GB for $30.
    05-16-15 02:28 AM
    Sounds like a scam.

Posted via CB10
    It's Rogers, I'm not surprised.

Posted via CB10
    SubCamp likes this.
    05-16-15 02:31 AM
    I'm pretty sure it's not a scam. It's a misinformed/improperly trained sales agent.

Being an ex-bb employee who went through all the bb10 training they taught us the differences between BBOS and BB10.
    One of them being the same as everyone else mentions.... BBOS uses BIS for consumer which BIS does data compression. BB10 does not use BIS, it CAN'T use BIS, therefore no compression.
    Keeping in mind that is from the consumer side(which is all the carrier needs to know.
    Enterprise side has compression.... for anything that goes through the BES. If you browse on work perimeter browser... compressed. If you browse on personal perimeter browser.... not compressed. But.... still no BIS and no carrier involvement.

Bottom line.... go to another sales agent. If you get same BS. Ask for manager and ask for them to be properly trained.

 Z30STA100-5/10.3.2.500 
    MobileMadness002 likes this.
    05-16-15 06:06 AM
    Could the OP somehow be on a BES plan?

Is that still a thing from the carrier side?

Posted via CB10
    05-16-15 07:29 AM
    Could the OP somehow be on a BES plan?

Is that still a thing from the carrier side?

Posted via CB10
    Bell is the only Canadian provider that tags a BES data plan for reasons of stupidity I guess.

There is no need for a designated BES plan as data is data is data now. BES connects directly to noc and devices use encryption to connect to the NIC using carrier regular APNs that route data traffic.

Posted by BlackBerry accept no compromise!
    05-16-15 03:19 PM
    You're being scammed, but most likely the salesperson is a dumbass
    05-16-15 04:29 PM
    That sounds odd, I don't pay this myself on my Passport, though it's a ShareEverything plan with a couple other people with 10GB data...

Praise be unto our Lord, Squircle | Passport SQW100-1/10.3.1.2708
    05-16-15 06:23 PM
    Yes... a clear scam. There is no such thing as BIS with BlackBerry 10.

Posted via CB10
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    05-16-15 06:51 PM