Some time ago, I gave my son my BlackBerry Q10. But he found the screen too small and gave it back to me. But now, I want to give it to someone else. I don't know my son's password and he's not sure exactly what it was. I have 6 unsuccessful tries already. If I reach the maximum of 10 fails, it will delete my data. I'm not too concerned about that because I have no personal info left on it. QUESTION: If I get to 10 fails, will I be able to use it again by setting up a new password? ...or is the phone lost? Thanks, John
    Last edited by BigBadWulf; 12-16-18 at 09:28 PM. Reason: deleted email
    12-16-18 07:20 PM
    Depends on if BlackBerry Protect is enabled and what OS it's on. If it's on 10.3+ and Protect is enabled, you'll have to enter the password, which you don't know, in order to gain access. If Protect is off, or you're not on 10.3, then you'll just be able to set it up again w/ a new password.
    12-16-18 09:46 PM
    Thanks... I think it's the same as my Z10 as far as I remember, which is 10.3.3.1463. As far as protect is concerned, I really don't know. I assume it's off since I don't know where to find this toggle on my Z10. So am I out of the Q10 permanently? Thanks.
    12-17-18 11:23 AM
    As far as protect is concerned, I really don't know. I assume it's off since I don't know where to find this toggle on my Z10.
    It's under Settings>BlackBerry Protect, but even if it's there it won't do you much good. In order to disable it, you need to know the password. As for it being permanent, that's the intent as the password was forgotten. There's no way to reset it, however, there was some ways to byapss it previously available that involved loading an older OS, but I'm not sure that even works anymore.
    12-17-18 01:22 PM
    I checked on my Z10 where it's ON. So I most likely enabled it also on the Q10. I have 4 more attempts available... Maybe my son will remember his p/w by then... I therefore assume that your answer to my question would be "Yes", I am locked out permanently. I do wish to thank you very much though for your assistance. Best regards, John
    12-17-18 01:30 PM
    Ah... I had missed the last part of your message about the older OS. Then I'll go to CPR where I bought it and see if they can help. Regards, John
    12-17-18 01:59 PM
    Hold on, do you know the BBID username? The password it's asking for is a device password, not? Or is it the BBID password?
    12-17-18 04:17 PM
    Hi Ben, I don't think it's the BBID P/W... It's the P/W to be entered on the lock screen after booting or after the phone has gone dormant. I told my son what mine was, and he then changed it to one of his own. Then he gave it back to me and told me his P/W which he and I forgot. (Like father like son!) It is quite frustrating, which is why your help is greatly appreciated. Thanks, John
    12-17-18 07:00 PM
    Ah... I had missed the last part of your message about the older OS. Then I'll go to CPR where I bought it and see if they can help. Regards, John
    Nothing anyone can do - not even BlackBerry.

After 10 tries, the phone will wipe, at which point you will need the original BBID to set the phone up again.
    12-18-18 07:15 AM
    Hi Ben, I don't think it's the BBID P/W... It's the P/W to be entered on the lock screen after booting or after the phone has gone dormant. I told my son what mine was, and he then changed it to one of his own. Then he gave it back to me and told me his P/W which he and I forgot. (Like father like son!) It is quite frustrating, which is why your help is greatly appreciated. Thanks, John
    For clarification here John: Bla1ze and Co. are right about the device password, but if you think you know the BBID password you can go to protect.blackberry.com , log in to Blackberry Protect from there, and disable that functionality on the Q10. That way if and when you are locked out you can use an autoloader, reload the OS, and set it up again.

I'd suggest that route were I you, as it's highly unlikely any vendor will be able to assist you with Blackberry problems these days. (Many of them would just tell you to "upgrade" to an Android or iOS device.)
    12-18-18 09:45 AM
    Um...
    Would an autoloader work maybe just inputting a new software might work.
    just maybe not guaranteed
    Sorry if I was of no help

Posted via CB10
    12-18-18 10:08 AM
    Um...
    Would an autoloader work maybe just inputting a new software might work.
    just maybe not guaranteed
    Sorry if I was of no help

Posted via CB10
    Good try bb92, but without disabling Blackberry Protect an autoloader would simply install properly and then not permit setup of the device. John is going to need to disable that before using an autoloader or otherwise resetting the device. It's a theft-prevention measure.
    12-18-18 10:23 AM
    So, John, the question now is; do you know the BBID username the phone is set up with? (probably one of your sons' email addresses) if you do know but don't know the password you can reset it here» https://blackberryid.blackberry.com/...coverpassword/
    FYI, this must be a still valid address that someone who is willing to help you has access to.
    Read and follow the steps carefully. Then follow TrumpetTigers' steps to turn off BlackBerry Protect.
    Last edited by Ben xfg; 12-18-18 at 08:50 PM.
    12-18-18 08:16 PM
    Thanks very much Ben, and thanks to TrumpetTiger also... I think I remember my BBID. I'll try my best to get back on this tomorrow. But one other question if you don't mind: Where do I get an autoloader??? I'd really like to keep this phone going because it works perfectly well in spite of its age, just like me I guess :-). Thank you and best regards, John
    12-18-18 08:28 PM
    Where do I get an autoloader?
    The latest autoloader for BB10 devices are here: https://mega.nz/#F!fA0URRLL!P-4nDqc5...5LyhA!uUEXFISb

Make sure you pick the 1.46 Gb zipped file for the Q10, download it to your PC desktop, unzip the file, then attach your Q10 to PC and run the autoloader .exe file. Takes about 15 minutes or so, then takes a few minutes to reboot and you can set it up as if new with your BBID and password.
    12-18-18 09:52 PM
    Aaaah! Splendid! Thanks very much brookie229! John
    12-18-18 09:57 PM
    Hi again TrumpetTiger! I'm back, and apologise that I could not follow-up earlier. Here's where I stand. I have downloaded an autoloader, and am now in my BlackBerry account at "protect.blackberry.com" as you suggested above. BUT... I see a little raised hand with a check mark on it that says: Anti-theft protection: On. Clicking on it does nothing. But I find no other link where I could disable BB Protect, not even in options. So, what am I missing???
    12-29-18 01:31 PM
    Hi again TrumpetTiger! I'm back, and apologise that I could not follow-up earlier. Here's where I stand. I have downloaded an autoloader, and am now in my BlackBerry account at "protect.blackberry.com" as you suggested above. BUT... I see a little raised hand with a check mark on it that says: Anti-theft protection: On. Clicking on it does nothing. But I find no other link where I could disable BB Protect, not even in options. So, what am I missing???
    I don't think you're missing anything. I'm pretty sure that BlackBerry Protect has to be turned off from the device unless your device is on an Enterprise account with an Admin who can do it for you. So,, without the device password, you can't turn it off.

But I think you're still in good shape for resetting the phone, so long as you have your BBID and your BBID Password. That's what BlackBerry will require after a restore, either from a security wipe or an autoloader.

My understanding is that you'll need the device password to login or recover your data, but only your BBID credentials to restore the phone.

I can't confirm all of that today, but that's my recollection.

Posted with my trusty Z10
    12-29-18 02:06 PM
    PS. After you restore the phone and set up a new device password you will be able to use it normally and turn off BlackBerry Protect if you want to give or sell the phone to someone else.

12-29-18 02:08 PM
    Thanks Adopter... I'm not sure I fully understand. I don't have any data to recover; I have no personal info left on it. Everything is now on my Z10. But ultimately, I want to change the password so that I can transfer it to someone else. I have someone now interested in buying it. BUT NOW I NOTICE SOMETHING FISHY... I was at 6 failed attempts. I have since tried 3 other possibilities and I'm virtually certain that one was correct. But it still shows that I've made 6 failed attempts, not 9. And when I turn it on, I immediately get a message telling me that I've made 5 failed attempts. I don't get it.
    12-29-18 02:20 PM
    Just curious, why do you want to run the autoloader? If you use up the remaining tries for the password it will do the same thing, or am I wrong? And further, are you sure you are using the correct BBID (the one that is currently logged in on the Q10 so probably your sons'?) If you have all the information for the BBID that is CURRENTLY LOGGED INTO THE PHONE , I don't see why you wouldn't be able to simply use up your last attempts, let it do the wipe, set up with the old BBID then turn off BlackBerry Protect and do another wipe. I'm not sure if you can turn BB Protect off on the device if it isn't connected to a network. Good luck!
    12-29-18 02:29 PM
    Thanks Adopter... I'm not sure I fully understand. I don't have any data to recover; I have no personal info left on it. Everything is now on my Z10. But ultimately, I want to change the password so that I can transfer it to someone else. I have someone now interested in buying it. BUT NOW I NOTICE SOMETHING FISHY... I was at 6 failed attempts. I have since tried 3 other possibilities and I'm virtually certain that one was correct. But it still shows that I've made 6 failed attempts, not 9. And when I turn it on, I immediately get a message telling me that I've made 5 failed attempts. I don't get it.
    I can't speak to the number of times your device shows a password attempt.

What I'm saying is that, if you have the correct BlackBerry ID and BlackBerry ID p/w you can do the following:

1) Use an autoloader or enter the wrong PW until your phone starts a security wipe.

2) Go through the set up process again, entering your BBID credentials and settling up a new device password.

3) Turn off BlackBerry Protect on the device in settings.

4) Wait a few minutes, then log in to BlackBerry Protect on the Web to confirm that BlackBerry Protect is off.

5) Perform a factory reset or use an autoloader one more time. Don't set up the phone.

At that point, you can sell the phone to your buyer, who can start it up and set it up as new.

Please leave the phone on WiFi and plugged in to power throughout this process.

Last edited by bb10adopter111; 12-29-18 at 03:07 PM.
    12-29-18 02:45 PM
    Thanks Adopter, and also thanks to Ben above. On the BBProtect site, under "Wipe", I found this explanation: "... If your device is running BlackBerry 7.1 or earlier (Mine is at 10.3...), some data can’t be backed up using BlackBerry Protect. Data that can’t be backed up includes apps, photos, and email messages. Wiping your device permanently deletes this data from your device. IF YOUR DEVICE HAS THE ANTI-THEFT FEATURE TURNED ON, AFTER WIPING YOUR DEVICE, SOMEONE ELSE CAN'T SET UP THE DEVICE WITHOUT KNOWING YOUR BlackBerry ID. IF YOU WANT TO GIVE THIS DEVICE TO SOMEONE ELSE TO SET UP AND USE, REMOVE THIS DEVICE FROM THE BlackBerry Protect WEBSITE..... I capitalized the part that I find more interesting. This seems to imply that if I wipe it (I think that would make any further security pointless) and remove it from the BBProtect site, it could then be re-setup and re-used. What's your opinion? THANKS AGAIN GUYS!!!!!!!
    12-29-18 03:02 PM
    Thanks Adopter, and also thanks to Ben above. On the BBProtect site, under "Wipe", I found this explanation: "... If your device is running BlackBerry 7.1 or earlier (Mine is at 10.3...), some data can’t be backed up using BlackBerry Protect. Data that can’t be backed up includes apps, photos, and email messages. Wiping your device permanently deletes this data from your device. IF YOUR DEVICE HAS THE ANTI-THEFT FEATURE TURNED ON, AFTER WIPING YOUR DEVICE, SOMEONE ELSE CAN'T SET UP THE DEVICE WITHOUT KNOWING YOUR BlackBerry ID. IF YOU WANT TO GIVE THIS DEVICE TO SOMEONE ELSE TO SET UP AND USE, REMOVE THIS DEVICE FROM THE BlackBerry Protect WEBSITE..... I capitalized the part that I find more interesting. This seems to imply that if I wipe it (I think that would make any further security pointless) and remove it from the BBProtect site, it could then be re-setup and re-used. What's your opinion? THANKS AGAIN GUYS!!!!!!!
    I mean, you can try, but I think the phone has to be connected to a network for you to be able to turn off the protect feature. You could try to stick your Sim into the Q10 and see if you can get it connected to a network...
    12-29-18 03:10 PM
    Yes. After a security wipe, factory reset, or use of an autoloader, the device password is lost, but a device with BlackBerry Protect enabled will require the correct BBID credentials during set up. So, if you don't have the device password, then in order to turn off BlackBerry Protect to sell the device, you will need to first wipe it, set it up with the assigned BBID, turn off BlackBerry Protect and then restore it again!

12-29-18 03:11 PM
34 12