My Passport had been running for 9 months or more and suddenly froze.

I have carried out about 100 soft resets using the volume buttons together.

Once the screen goes black I re-set my stopwatch to zero.

It takes about 55 seconds for the 'verifying and securing device' circle.

Then opening the Hub it says 'Preparing Blackberry Hub'.

It is even possible to open apps such as CrackBerry!

At around 3 1/2 minutes the screen freezes and the top right corner is hot.

I cannot back up my data in that time using BlackBerry Link.

Is there a way to stop this happening or back up my data?

I do not want to do a hard reset until I have my contacts and texts safe.

Please help!
    11-22-15 05:25 PM
    Remove your SD Card if you have one and remove your SIM card + knock it into flight mode if you can; then reboot and try, seems like it's busy doing something (check the device monitor as well in case it's a headless App)
    11-22-15 05:55 PM
    Hi Paul

I pulled the SIM card and the SD card and I did a soft reset.

I set the Passport to Airplane Mode with all radios off and did another soft reset.

Once the home screen is alive the Device Monitor is blank for about 1 minute.

Then the Device Monitor for Storage shows:

System 10.83GB
    Apps 3.4GB
    Free 13.65GB

I know the system should only use about 2.4GB. When I had this happen on my Q10 I found that a hard reset fixed that and Hub lag was cured. Battery life, which had been only from 6 to 8 hours jumped to 2 to 3 days.

The Device Monitor for CPU on the Passport then shows:

System between 33% and 56%
    Hub between 10% and 29%
    PIM Services between 7% and 13%
    Android Player about 5%

Finally, after about 1 further minute everything is at Idle except System which shows something between 5% to 10%.

At this point the screen freezes . . . . I have done 5 or 6 more soft resets and always the same.

Once I had a frozen Bold and I found a tool that let me backup the data in that state.

Is there anything like that for BB10?

Philip
    11-23-15 07:18 AM
    As PaulWallace1234 stated, you probably have an app on launch that need either the network to be up, either the device to be located (look at the pin in the status bar during the freeze). Why ? Because of the hot area you described.

You have to know that the device gives you access early to the basic functionality of the phone, but there are still processes to be run afterward (including the HUB, the files indexing, the Android player,...). You will have full access minutes after the Home screen is displayed.

First, I don't know how often you reboot your phone, but mine is every 20 days or so.

Next, concerning your System storage issue, I assume that you have still this result the first 5 minutes after boot ? If so, download and use CCleaner from the Amazon Appstore.
    11-23-15 04:03 PM
    I would try to back up data and do a autoloader.
    11-23-15 04:05 PM
    Hi Deremi

That problem is that the Passport freezes within 2 minutes of the Home Screen coming on.

I have just enough time to post this.

I do not have enough time to do a back-up!

Posted via CB10
    Last edited by PhilipGC; 11-24-15 at 11:13 AM.
    11-24-15 08:09 AM
    As PaulWallace1234 stated, you probably have an app on launch that need either the network to be up, either the device to be located (look at the pin in the status bar during the freeze). Why ? Because of the hot area you described.

You have to know that the device gives you access early to the basic functionality of the phone, but there are still processes to be run afterward (including the HUB, the files indexing, the Android player,...). You will have full access minutes after the Home screen is displayed.

First, I don't know how often you reboot your phone, but mine is every 20 days or so.

Next, concerning your System storage issue, I assume that you have still this result the first 5 minutes after boot ? If so, download and use CCleaner from the Amazon Appstore.
    Hi Paul

I just want to be able to back up my contacts and texts before the phone freezes and/or delay the freeze to allow this.

Can you please explain what you mean by 'look at the pin the the status bar during the freeze'. I am afraid that I do not know what the 'pin' or the 'status bar' is. Once the screen freezes there is nothing that you can do except for a reset.

The Passport always used to get hot (say 30C) in the top corner when charging and/or during heavy use but it now gets hotter even after just a couple of soft resets from cold ie after just 6 minutes.

I have not rebooted my Passport as a matter of habit but probably did so once every month if the battery became completely flat or something stopped working. Since the handset froze just over a week ago I have rebooted it more than 100 times.

I have tried to open Amazon AppStore but this takes at least 1 minute of the 2 minutes before the phone freezes. So far, I have tried this 6 or 7 times without success and have had messages like:

AppStore isn't responding.
    Do you want to close it?

Activity QNX Launcher is not responding.

Could not connect to Amazon.

Please remember, once I get as far as the Home Screen, the phone freezes within about 2 minutes. So there is no time to download and install and new application like CCleaner.

The 2 minute to freeze is the problem because I cannot back up the phone in that time.
    11-24-15 11:24 AM
    I guess you meant to aim that post to Josh, status bar is the top bar on your Homescreen where the Clock and battery ect is.

The device is certainly doing something, the CPU is located in that corner and will be why it's getting hot.

Personally I'd try backup your calendar and run an Autoloader, you'll loose your installed Apps and Settings but it's a completely clean slate.

If it still persists after that it's a hardware fault

Posted via CB10 v....not telling
    11-24-15 12:13 PM