Like most people, i'm anxiously waiting for 10.3.1 to be pushed to my device, but after reading multiple cases of people having a flickering screen after the update - is it worth updating? Or should I wait until they address this issue?

Has anyone successfully updated their Passport WITHOUT the issue of the flickering screen?
    02-19-15 01:57 PM
    Like most people, i'm anxiously waiting for 10.3.1 to be pushed to my device, but after reading multiple cases of people having a flickering screen after the update - is it worth updating? Or should I wait until they address this issue?

Has anyone successfully updated their Passport WITHOUT the issue of the flickering screen?
    Keep waiting, and waiting and waiting and waiting. Meanwhile, others will be excited over the bug fixes and you will still be waiting.
    02-19-15 01:59 PM
    I suspect that the vast majority of people experience either no flickering, or the occasional flicker which could be described as a minor annoyance.

That said, a few people have it rough. Some people say a security wipe resolves or almost resolves the issue under those circumstances.

Z30STA100-5/10.3.1.2267
    02-19-15 02:03 PM
    Keep waiting, and waiting and waiting and waiting. Meanwhile, others will be excited over the bug fixes and you will still be waiting.
    This makes no sense at all. I asked about a single bug that I would find VERY annoying to deal with, and whether anyone had successfully updated without this bug. Then, I would make my decision to upgrade or not, based on that answer. This also may be helpful for other people who are wondering the same thing. Is that an issue for you? When I had my z10, I installed multiple 10.3.1 leaks, so am very aware of potential bugs that can be there. With the leaks, I ALSO did the research to weigh the pros and cons of installing them.

Apparently, my pragmatic way of upgrading my phone's OS somehow annoyed you, and forced you to post a jack-assy response, instead of contributing anything useful. I hope that your other 7,000+ posts were more helpful than this one.

Mods can close this thread if you want - I'll keep an eye in the forums on what people say.
    KingRohan likes this.
    02-19-15 02:11 PM
    I suspect that the vast majority of people experience either no flickering, or the occasional flicker which could be described as a minor annoyance.

That said, a few people have it rough. Some people say a security wipe resolves or almost resolves the issue under those circumstances.

Z30STA100-5/10.3.1.2267
    Thanks, conite. I'll hold off until there's a good sample size to use to make a decision Hopefully BlackBerry issues a small update quickly. I can deal with a lot of the other bugs that I have in the past, but a flickering, I would find really irritating.
    02-19-15 02:15 PM

The flickering issue is not a gamebreaker issue. I have been using .2267 for quite a while now and the flickering is sporadic. For me, it occurs maybe once every 4-5 days and is not difficult to get rid of. I definitely would not worry about it. It is worrisome that BB has not fixed this problem but the benefits of 10.3.1.2267 outweigh the flickering issue. Remember, if it really bugs you, you can always go back to a previous version of the OS, but I doubt very much that you will do that once you use it. Again, it is not that bothersome.
    02-19-15 02:19 PM
    I've just updated, no flickering on my passport, do you want me to try anything or need any other details? Software 10.3.1.1565

After 30 years in the waiting.......GMT IIc
    02-19-15 02:19 PM
    Thanks, conite. I'll hold off until there's a good sample size to use to make a decision Hopefully BlackBerry issues a small update quickly. I can deal with a lot of the other bugs that I have in the past, but a flickering, I would find really irritating.
    You'll never get a good appreciation for the percentage of affected users here, as you will generally only see the complaints.

You can always downgrade if you are one of the unlucky ones to be affected in a big way.

Z30STA100-5/10.3.1.2267
    02-19-15 02:20 PM
    The flickering issue is not a gamebreaker issue. I have been using .2267 for quite a while now and the flickering is sporadic. For me, it occurs maybe once every 4-5 days and is not difficult to get rid of. I definitely would not worry about it. It is worrisome that BB has not fixed this problem but the benefits of 10.3.1.2267 outweigh the flickering issue. Remember, if it really bugs you, you can always go back to a previous version of the OS, but I doubt very much that you will do that once you use it. Again, it is not that bothersome.
    Oh, ok. I can deal with once a week. Definitely weird that they haven't addressed it yet, I agree. Thanks for the insight. Hopefully i'll be one of the lucky ones who upgrades.
    brookie229 likes this.
    02-19-15 02:27 PM
    I've just updated, no flickering on my passport, do you want me to try anything or need any other details? Software 10.3.1.1565
    Thanks, philt32. Nothing in particular - it helps to know that there are some people out there who don't have any issues at all with the new OS. Maybe report back in a couple days, whether that has remained the same or not

I guess the simplest solution is try it out, and then downgrade if it's a big issue. Thanks all for the help.
    02-19-15 02:29 PM
    It goes to show how much blackberry cares for the customer by not fixing flickering issue
    02-19-15 02:31 PM
    I never know what this flickering is... Knock on wood! Anyway. I got the update, and I still haven't experienced this flickering yet. So, when you didn't have it before, it might be safe to assume that you also won't have it after updating. Just my guess. :-D
    02-19-15 02:34 PM

Open and keep open several apps including CB10 and the camera app, then invoke the share menu, and try to scroll up and down the share screen.

Posted via CB10
    02-19-15 02:38 PM
    Open and keep open several apps including CB10 and the camera app, then invoke the share menu, and try to scroll up and down the share screen.

Posted via CB10
    Opened up 6 apps , then opened weather app 'share' and scrolled no problem, no flickering, however when I 'shared' a video with my tv over wifi the screen flickered on my passport, not the video, just the controls on the screen. Hope that makes sense.

AnimalPak200 likes this.
    02-19-15 02:55 PM
    No flickering here after update on passport

Posted via CB10
    02-19-15 03:37 PM
    Been using 10.3.1.2243 for a couple of weeks and have had no flickering at all on my passport. Just put it through a heavy weekend in amsterdam constantly running maps,browser and camera and it did not flicker once and no green screen in camera.

I did a security wipe before updating OTA.

Wonder what those who have the flickering issue also have in common.

Via CB10 from Scotland using PassportSQW100-1/10.3.1.2243.
    02-19-15 04:56 PM
    It's not a big deal to me. Happened once and I mean once in the past 2 weeks and it was very minor. Exited the app. Then reopened and it hasn't happened since. Wait if you want. I love my PassportSQW100-1/10.3.1.2267

Via CB Running Gold Candidate PassportSQW100-1/10.3.1.2267
    02-19-15 05:03 PM
    Told BlackBerry about the screen flickering in the beta, nothing came of it. What a shame.

Posted via CB10
    02-19-15 05:03 PM
    It's not a big deal to me. Happened once and I mean once in the past 2 weeks and it was very minor. Exited the app. Then reopened and it hasn't happened since. Wait if you want. I love my PassportSQW100-1/10.3.1.2267

If you leave the browser open for 15-20 minutes with a few tabs you'll notice some apps will start to flicker.

Posted via CB10
    02-19-15 05:04 PM
    If you leave the browser open for 15-20 minutes with a few tabs you'll notice some apps will start to flicker.

Posted via CB10
    Well that's not how I use my device. We're all different. I'm just stating how it's happening to me. And it's very infrequent.

Last edited by Pdinos3; 02-19-15 at 05:39 PM.
    02-19-15 05:26 PM
    Not worth it friends my life has become miserable due to flickering.

Posted via CB10
    02-19-15 06:23 PM
    Well that's not how I use my device. We're all different. I'm just stating how it's happening to me. And it's very infrequent.

I was explaining a situation that would cause flickering. I wasn't suggesting that you use your device wrong. My apologies.

Posted via CB10
    02-19-15 11:46 PM