My kid is version 3.0 of me. This is horrible news because I was trouble. Yes, I know: "what goes around comes around".

What paid or free apps or techniques will allow me to accomplish both of the following:

1) Restrict the browser to 4 specific websites only. No outside navigation.

2) restrict incoming and outgoing sms/text messages.

All the above without confiscating the device.

Thanks for your help.

Posted via CB10
    02-05-15 08:14 AM
    A BES10/12 server lol. That would give you complete rule of the device in whatever way you see fit.

Let me get the Z30 and fiddle with Parental Controls, see if it can be set the way you need it....

1) Restrict the browser to 4 specific websites only. No outside navigation.

2) restrict incoming and outgoing sms/text messages.
    1) The native settings will allow you to lock the browser away, but not restrict which sites. It's all or nothing.

2) You can set it for contacts only. No calls or SMS to or from anyone not on the contact list will be allowed.
    02-05-15 08:56 AM
    Thanks for the follow up.

That's the issue:

She will need to browse school specific site but I'd like to restrict almost everything else. So.the parental control feature won't work.

I wish there was a way to keep address book entries but exclude sms messages from selected users. A privileged category for sms as opposed to the entire address book.

Does the HUB browser offer any of these features?

Posted via CB10
    02-05-15 10:15 AM
    The HUB is a central messaging station, not a multi purpose filter client.

I fully understand what you are trying to do, but that is the sort of control only a BES will give.

I think proper education is better that wasting money on a BES just for your kid. (sorry about the honesty)

What can be done right now is edit her contact list so only the OK people are there and then set parental controls on with contacts only enabled.

As for the browser, you either find another browser that can do what you want; disable browsing altogether or trust your kid not to look for bad stuff online.

Posted via CB10
    02-05-15 01:45 PM
    In my personal opinion, if you want that much control over what your kids are doing, a smartphone is not a good idea. You're better off letting your child use your smartphone or a computer with internet filters installed.

Posted via CB10
    02-05-15 02:52 PM
    Try safe browse. It's in the BlackBerry world and you can block all sites except those the admin (in this case you) allow

Posted via CB10
    diegonei and ehroberts like this.
    02-08-15 06:45 PM
    Try safe browse. It's in the BlackBerry world and you can block all sites except those the admin (in this case you) allow

Posted via CB10
    Wouldn't it be easily removed though? I mean it is just software.

Posted via CB10
    02-08-15 09:11 PM
    Yes but if it is deleted then there is zero access to the browser. Keep in mind the built in browser should be locked from parental controls.

Posted via CB10
    diegonei likes this.
    02-08-15 09:19 PM