Built for Business - Learn more about BlackBerry KEY2
    Hi all,

So I am looking at what the future may hold with the EOL of BlackBerry 10 in the next 6 months and I am looking at making arrangements.

I may just continue to use my devices for what I normally just do, calls, texts, emails and some light web surfing. If I do need any additional apps, I might just pair it with a small Samsung tablet I won in a tournament.

The question I have, what are the steps or the procedure in terms of creating a hot spot or tethering or just using the Internet data from my mobile phone onto the tablet? I might not be using the proper terms here but I want to have my tablet connected to the phone for using the Internet and Android apps? The old BlackBerry bridge style combo that worked well with the Playbook is what I'm looking for.

Many thanks in advance

Posted via CB10
    07-06-19 04:13 PM
    The only thing you need to do is create the mobile hotspot and then your Z10 will appear just like a wifi point to your tablet
    Last edited by howarmat; 07-06-19 at 04:32 PM.
    07-06-19 04:22 PM
    The only thing you need to do is create the mobile hotspot and then your Z10 will appear just like a wifi point to your tablet

Thanks for that. Quick question, can I have it connected as a mobile Hotspot all the time and or does that drain the data really quickly??

I'm just thinking about the odd time when I need GPS driving around somewhere different. Currently the BlackBerry Maps app works no problem when I am in Canada and the US but I've had some issues when I have traveled to Greece and a few other countries .

Thanks again

Posted via CB10
    07-06-19 04:27 PM
    it will use data yes, just like your phone would doing the similar task. The battery drain was always a much bigger issue especially with the craptastic battery life of a z10
    07-06-19 04:33 PM
    Even with BB services shutting down, I can't see the mobile hotspot feature ceasing to work. In fact, I'm pretty sure my old Curve 9360 on OS 7.1 still has mobile hotspot.
    07-06-19 05:17 PM
    Even with BB services shutting down, I can't see the mobile hotspot feature ceasing to work. In fact, I'm pretty sure my old Curve 9360 on OS 7.1 still has mobile hotspot.
    Doesn't that depend on the carrier anyway?

I've only got it because my AT&T plan allows it. It also forces my phone off its own Wi-Fi (and it has to be turned off) so I'm only on mobile data while the phone is a hotspot for other devices.

Using a Galaxy S9.
    07-06-19 06:36 PM
    It also forces my phone off its own Wi-Fi (and it has to be turned off) so I'm only on mobile data while the phone is a hotspot for other devices.
    That's the way it works for all phones (that support Mobile HotSpot) - the phone's WiFi radio can only be configured for one network at a time, so if it's acting as a hotspot, it can't simultaneously connect to another network. You'd need a second WiFi radio for that, and that would have lots of implications (cost, battery consumption, radio interference, etc.)
    07-06-19 10:22 PM
    Thanks for that. Quick question, can I have it connected as a mobile Hotspot all the time and or does that drain the data really quickly??

I'm just thinking about the odd time when I need GPS driving around somewhere different. Currently the BlackBerry Maps app works no problem when I am in Canada and the US but I've had some issues when I have traveled to Greece and a few other countries .

Thanks again

Posted via CB10
    Hey curves,

As others have mentioned you can have it as a hotspot all the time yes. It will use mobile data, but if you have unlimited data for your device that shouldn't be an issue. Battery will drain faster with Mobile Hotspot on all the time but it should be all right as long as you're able to charge the BB10 device from time to time during the day.

As a side note, BB10's forthcoming EOL will only affect Blackberry World, so anything else that doesn't involve downloading new native apps should continue to work with no problem.
    07-06-19 10:50 PM
    Thanks for all your help everyone! I'll try testing it out and see how it works, in the end I should probably support BlackBerry Mobile and purchase a Key 2 or a Key 3 hopefully!

I'm just thinking how I can extend the use of my BlackBerry 10 devices, I have a Q10, Classic and a SE Passport that are all in mint condition and no signs of slowing down.

It's just a waste to have so much quality hardware not doing a whole lot for someone such as myself with fairly basic needs.

I figure if I use the dual carry combo of a small tablet and BlackBerry 10 for as long as it's possible and for the apps I may need such as GPS, banking, browser etc.

Thanks again!

Posted via CB10
    07-07-19 01:12 AM