Hi all,

Given the fact that BlackBerry 10's final days of support is upon us fairly soon, I am wondering a couple of things.

Is it hard or possible to pair a BlackBerry 10 phone with a tablet and have the internet and all available tablet apps??

Depending on my future needs for both personal and work, I may continue to use a BB10 phone for things like calls, texts, emails etc. I do enjoy some of the modern situations of a smartphone or tablet like GPS, internet and some basic apps. I don't have a serious issue with the lack of the latter on BB10 now but I may in the future. The pairing might assist and might prevent me for buying another device for a little while. The amount of tech that I have that is still usable and continues to pile up is starting to bother me a bit.

I might be looking at a cheap Android tablet from Costco or something for like $200 Canadian. I don't mind the data as I have unlimited data via my Freedom Mobile carrier.

Thanks and sorry about the long post!

Posted via CB10
    01-22-19 07:54 PM
    If you mean double carrying a tablet and a BB10 phone it works great, but there are some apps that require a phone number validation. Considering using your phone as a Hotspot for cellular data.

Posted with my trusty Z10
    01-22-19 08:04 PM
    If you mean double carrying a tablet and a BB10 phone it works great, but there are some apps that require a phone number validation. Considering using your phone as a Hotspot for cellular data.

I think I might have used the wrong terminology. I'm trying to use the Internet connection with my mobile phone carrier and than use it on my tablet whenever I need it. Hotspot is probably what I am referring to.

I used to do it with BlackBerry Bridge on the Playbook all the time and it worked amazing.

Either way, thanks for the quick and helpful responses as always.

Posted via CB10
    01-22-19 08:15 PM
    I think I might have used the wrong terminology. I'm trying to use the Internet connection with my mobile phone carrier and than use it on my tablet whenever I need it. Hotspot is probably what I am referring to.

I used to do it with BlackBerry Bridge on the Playbook all the time and it worked amazing.

Either way, thanks for the quick and helpful responses as always.

Posted via CB10
    Got it. You won't be able to pair a tablet seamlessly like we could with the PlayBook, but you will have plenty of apps available. The only tricky thing, as I said, are apps that require a mobile phone for some functions.

01-22-19 08:21 PM
    Got it. You won't be able to pair a tablet seamlessly like we could with the PlayBook, but you will have plenty of apps available. The only tricky thing, as I said, are apps that require a mobile phone for some functions.

Thanks for your help. I guess the apps I probably would need the most would be the GPS apps like Google Maps perhaps and maybe the odd banking app and maybe, maybe WhatsApp in the future. If enough of my friends keep busting my chops about sending them sms text messages as opposed to WhatsApp, I might have to switch. Sms texting has some limitations and it's becoming more and more apparent for me.

Posted via CB10
    01-22-19 08:54 PM
    Thanks for your help. I guess the apps I probably would need the most would be the GPS apps like Google Maps perhaps and maybe the odd banking app and maybe, maybe WhatsApp in the future. If enough of my friends keep busting my chops about sending them sms text messages as opposed to WhatsApp, I might have to switch. Sms texting has some limitations and it's becoming more and more apparent for me.

Posted via CB10
    See if you can't get your friends onto Signal instead of WhatsApp. It's much more respectful of your privacy.

01-22-19 08:58 PM
    See if you can't get your friends onto Signal instead of WhatsApp. It's much more respectful of your privacy.

I am all about the privacy and staying away from everything Facebook related but it's getting hard.

Friends who travel overseas and want to WhatsApp call, almost all the friends are on WhatsApp. Some user iMessage, some like myself use BBM but than again BBM for BB10 may be limited in terms of life so that means I either need to switch to BBM Android.

I will definitely look into Signal but I can't say I have ever heard of it. I've heard of What'sApp, Line, WeChat, Snap Chat, iMessage, FB Messanger.

I remember the simpler days!

Posted via CB10
    01-22-19 09:23 PM
    Signal is a major app used by businesses, lawyers and other professionals. It's hot great features and millions of users. Available for both iOS and Android.

01-22-19 10:15 PM
    Signal is a major app used by businesses, lawyers and other professionals. It's hot great features and millions of users. Available for both iOS and Android.

Too bad BBM Enterprise never took off to the level expected by BlackBerry. There's a lot of room for a secured messaging service amongst business with strict privacy such as health, banking, law and others.

Thanks for the suggestions and your help!

Posted via CB10
    01-22-19 11:30 PM
    If your phone plan includes hotspot (some don't) then using your BlackBerry with an android tablet is pretty simple. I use a Passport to hotspot to a Samsung tablet for things like Amazon music.
    01-23-19 09:09 AM
    Too bad BBM Enterprise never took off to the level expected by BlackBerry. There's a lot of room for a secured messaging service amongst business with strict privacy such as health, banking, law and others.

Thanks for the suggestions and your help!

Posted via CB10
    +1 for dbq's post curves. The short answer is yes, you can absolutely do this and use whatever tablet apps you want.
    01-23-19 11:07 PM
    OP the concept that you are describing is part of THE future and not just for BB10 users. I have already witnessed many, many professional people doing it this way.

In addition a lot of business people have two phones, which has multiple advantages.

It is much easier and SAFER to make calls while you work on the other phone. By SAFER I mean you don't have to worry that you are going to be disconnected in the middle of an important phone call because you did something on your phone or for other technical issues that might arise from fiddleing with your phone.

Two screens may be also helpful in some instances.

Also some may run two different type of IT policies with different levels of security.
    01-24-19 09:39 AM
    Thanks for all the help and all the suggestions everyone!

Posted via CB10
    01-24-19 02:03 PM
    Hi all,

Given the fact that BlackBerry 10's final days of support is upon us fairly soon, I am wondering a couple of things.

Is it hard or possible to pair a BlackBerry 10 phone with a tablet and have the internet and all available tablet apps??

Depending on my future needs for both personal and work, I may continue to use a BB10 phone for things like calls, texts, emails etc. I do enjoy some of the modern situations of a smartphone or tablet like GPS, internet and some basic apps. I don't have a serious issue with the lack of the latter on BB10 now but I may in the future. The pairing might assist and might prevent me for buying another device for a little while. The amount of tech that I have that is still usable and continues to pile up is starting to bother me a bit.

I might be looking at a cheap Android tablet from Costco or something for like $200 Canadian. I don't mind the data as I have unlimited data via my Freedom Mobile carrier.

Thanks and sorry about the long post!

Posted via CB10
    Hi
    I am actively using my passport as a modem for my other devices (a Samsung note 8 and surface PRO 5 and old HP pavilion laptop and some other mini computer and boards)
    What you want is totally possible and easy to do, so no worries at all!
    My usage is exactly like what you have been described here (passport for call and text and mails and couple of apps other devices for media consumption and heavy app usage and all work and university related stuff)
    The only thing bothers me is lack of usable hot spot which lead to either use of cable or Bluetooth for me!(the things seems don't want to be activated! )

Send by PassPort Silver Edition
    01-24-19 03:16 PM