07-31-17 08:46 AM
    Any government not looking at options is wasting tax payers dollars.

You can say it's about supporting local business and the jobs they bring, but at this point BlackBerry isn't much of a job or tax sources.
    07-31-17 08:53 AM
    It will be interesting to watch how SSC runs through the deployment, considering their history, which devices end up deployed in which organizations, and if any BlackDroids make the cut.
    07-31-17 09:12 AM
    I am surprised that Android in general is even considered.
    07-31-17 09:25 AM
    Just a bit of extra information, Blackberry UEM will continue to be used as the backbone, and BlackBerry Android will also be considered when it is finished testing.

The only news here, is that the exclusivity of BB10 and BBOS is over. Hardly a surprise when the Leap and Classic are two and three years old respectively.
    07-31-17 09:28 AM
    The article also quotes BlackBerry as stating that their version of Android still doesn't equal the security of the last update of BB10.

LeapSTR100-2/10.3.3.2205
    07-31-17 11:44 AM
    The article also quotes BlackBerry as stating that their version of Android still doesn't equal the security of the last update of BB10.

LeapSTR100-2/10.3.3.2205
    It's hard to tell if they meant via certifications or actual capabilities.
    07-31-17 11:55 AM
    It's hard to tell if they meant via certifications or actual capabilities.
    I work for DND and my CO has a Samsung that he uses. I don't know if it was issued or not but I don't see him being allowed to use it at work otherwise it's an Active.
    07-31-17 01:41 PM

LeapSTR100-2/10.3.3.2205
    They did go quiet on the claim that their version of Nougat would be as secure as BlackBerry 10.

Posted via CB10
    07-31-17 02:34 PM
    They did go quiet on the claim that their version of Nougat would be as secure as BlackBerry 10.

Posted via CB10
    The problem is there's no real way to answer that question. Security is the combination of about 100 independent measures, where one can excel in certain areas and another in other areas.

It is therefore the number of certifications that have been received that allow some type of quantitative measure of security. In this regard, Blackberry Android is lagging behind, as many of the certifications are still in process.
    Last edited by conite; 07-31-17 at 03:17 PM.
    app_Developer likes this.
    07-31-17 02:38 PM
    The department section I'm in does not have land lines. Employees who require mobile email and data are issued BB10 BlackBerries, everyone else now gets a non-flagship Samsung.

Posted via CB10
    07-31-17 03:15 PM
    The department section I'm in does not have land lines. Employees who require mobile email and data are issued BB10 BlackBerries, everyone else now gets a non-flagship Samsung.

Posted via CB10
    And this article states that BB10 units will remain available until they run out, but Samsung Knox devices will be offered for the same function as well.

Hopefully BlackBerry Android will join Knox shortly.

All managed by BlackBerry UEM of course.
    07-31-17 03:19 PM
    A well deserved kick in the teeth for John Chen. BB10 was selling with government yet he abandoned it for Crapdroid.
    07-31-17 03:29 PM
    A well deserved kick in the teeth for John Chen. BB10 was selling with government yet he abandoned it for Crapdroid.
    I think Chen understands that if you stop making BB10 phones, then your BB10 customers will eventually have to find other options.

Hopefully those other options in this case include KEYone and whatever other new devices BlackBerry Mobile will introduce.

None of this should be surprising to Chen. He made a business decision and it's one that I agree with. There may have been a few government buyers of BB10, but my guess would be there are very few and most of the actual sales were probably just in Canada.

All of this represented very little revenue and not enough to make a viable business out of it.
    07-31-17 03:51 PM
    There was barely any uptake in either government or enterprise with BB10. The Canadian government was one of the small exceptions, but nowhere near making BB10 remotely self-sufficient.

Chen was hired specifically to soft-land BB10. He just did the job mandated by Prem and the BoD. It was clearly the right move.
    07-31-17 04:02 PM
    The problem is there's no real way to answer that question. Security is the combination of about 100 independent measures, where one can excel in certain areas and another in other areas.

It is therefore the number of certifications that have been received that allow some type of quantitative measure of security. In this regard, Blackberry Android is lagging behind, as many of the certifications are still in process.
    Unless you are familiar with the code in question. If you are familiar with the requirements of safe coding it doesn't take much walking around in code to find out if the people who wrote it were also familiar or if code safety was on their priority list. From there it doesn't take much time to come up with a back of the envelope estimate of of what it would take to fix it. The silence speaks volumes.

Ottawa to move towards Samsung over Blackberry-security_is_important.jpg
    07-31-17 04:22 PM
    Chen destroyed the true BlackBerry brand...

Posted via CB10
    07-31-17 05:42 PM
    Chen destroyed the true BlackBerry brand...

Posted via CB10
    Chen did what he was hired to do, and ultimately saved the company.
    07-31-17 06:10 PM
    I think you meant "Mike" where you said "Chen".
    07-31-17 06:57 PM