I've seen a lot of questions about the "Other Data" section under Storage and Access -> Media Card Details and wanted to share one answer that I believe I have found.

While taking advantage of the 99c movie deals from BlackBerry, I began getting prompts that my 32 GB Micro SD card was nearly full. This didn't make sense, as I keep close tabs on how much data I have on the card. Before getting these prompts, I began getting download failures labeled only as "error" on the last few movies in my download queue. I had had errors on some of the first movies I downloaded as well, but I knew this was because I had moved from my home Wi-Fi to a cell tower, and the files "exceeded the limit for mobile data". When I got to work, some of these movies resumed download and finished. Others however, did not successfully resume, but failed. Later in the day, I was able to troubleshoot more and here is what I found.

Each download failure had left behind a partial video file, orphaned and now counting toward the size of "Other Data". As a movie (possibly other download types, but I haven't tested this theory) downloads from BlackBerry World, it is first placed into some hidden area, which gets counted as "Other Data", that acts like a staging area/cache. I had had enough failures and restarts that now my card was deemed "full", when it should have had about 18GB free. I put the SD card into my laptop, copied all visible files (turned on hidden files), formatted the card in my Z10, then copied the files back. Sure enough, I now had 18GB free space now according to the Storage and Access applet.

To further prove my theory, I then monitored my last download, and as the transfer screen went to 300MB, the Other Data bucket was 325MB and so on, up to ~1.39GB. At this point the movie download was shown as "Completed" and the status went to "Installing". After "Installing", the Other Data section went down to ~24MB and the Videos section had incremented upwards by 1.39GB.

It appears that if you pause a movie, this does not cause the issue. But in certain download failure cases, the OS neither resumes where it left off with the previous file in its cache, nor does it clean-up the data, leaving it orphaned.

The way these downloads are handled is somewhat unfortunate in and of itself, something like how IE8 and earlier acted, by placing downloads into the Temporary Internet Files cache, then copying them to their intended destinations. IE9 and higher now download directly to the user's specified destination, into a .partial file which is renamed when the download completes.
    Last edited by Carterbits; 12-09-13 at 05:25 PM. Reason: clarifications
    12-04-13 10:50 AM
    Thats interesting, thanx. I hope BlackBerry will look into it in next updates

My other data is a little less than 10 GB (all my music and photos are located on sd card) so I was thinking about what can it be.
    rai187 likes this.
    12-04-13 12:42 PM
    Good work. I would just caution about using the term "Other Data Bucket". This might lead people to believe that there is some place they can look for this data. It is in fact simple arithmetic. The OS can find out how much total data is used, and free on the device. They subtract music, videos, documents from the total used and the remainder is "Other Data". I agree that BlackBerry World should be cleaning up, or at least offering to re-start these temporary files to keep the file system clean.
    Carterbits likes this.
    12-04-13 01:17 PM
    Not only that, but it has to do with deleted files as well. (at least on memory cards) try adding a bunch of files, then delete them. pay attention to the other data size. Sometimes I found that it went up by the amount that was deleted.

Posted via CB10
    Carterbits likes this.
    12-04-13 04:50 PM
    I have the same problem. My phone is almost full
    A couple weeks ago I was away from home and DL'd a few shows & movies. I have since deleted them, but I nevr got that space back on my phone
    & I can't find where this data is that's taking up all my space

Posted via CB10
    12-04-13 05:30 PM
    I was suspecting the same thing a few days ago when my sd card filled up. The work around of dumping the card to a computer, formatting the card, and then reloading the data works...but it is a pain. Also, that only works for the sd card. I believe the same thing happens with the device memory. I don't know how to clear out that "other data" other than a security wipe...big pain.

BlackBerry needs to have an easy and efficient way to clear out the cache on both the sd card and the device memory.

Posted via CB10
    12-05-13 12:23 PM
    See my errors and corresponding "other data." This was starting from a freshly formatted sd card.

"Other Data", one explanation-img_00000391.png
    "Other Data", one explanation-img_00000392.png

Posted via CB10
    12-07-13 02:51 PM
    See my errors and corresponding "other data." This was starting from a freshly formatted sd card.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_00000391.png 
Views:	1920 
Size:	87.9 KB 
ID:	227848
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_00000392.png 
Views:	1909 
Size:	28.7 KB 
ID:	227850

Posted via CB10
    I only see transfer history while I'm downloading something, but is there a way to see it ? Like an app that shows your transfer history ?

Posted via CB10
    12-09-13 03:28 AM
    That was the only way I could pull it up as well...

Posted via CB10
    olivier721 likes this.
    12-09-13 08:05 AM
    Because of this exact problem, I stopped buying movies. Even when plugged into a Windows machine, I could not find where the data was located. I got tired of reformatting my card, so I stopped downloading movies from BlackBerry World.

I also made the switch in BlackBerry World options to download movies and music to the device instead of the SD card. No idea of it will work better or not. Too scared to test.

Posted via CB10
    12-09-13 08:32 AM
    I think BlackBerry needs a tool like the Windows Disk Cleanup utility that can clear these bogus "temp" files for us.

Download Noted, a 5-star rated, native BB10 memo pad app.
    12-09-13 09:08 AM
    Also afraid of jamming the memory on my device by downloading the videos directly there. Before I realized what the problem was...I think I had seen this happen on my device storage, but the device had cleared out the other data. I don't remember exactly, and I don't want to have to do a security wipe to get my phone memory back in case a test didn't work. Maybe I'll test it out before loading the next beta since I'll have to back everything up and wipe the memory then.

Anyone know I'd you can hot swap sd cards? I may use one card just for downloads (like overnight) and then swap the movies to my primary card via a computer. If I have to turn off the phone every time to pull the sd card that is more if a pain. Not to bad if I can just pop the cards in and out.

Posted via CB10
    12-09-13 03:57 PM
    Anyone know I'd you can hot swap sd cards? I may use one card just for downloads (like overnight) and then swap the movies to my primary card via a computer. If I have to turn off the phone every time to pull the sd card that is more if a pain. Not to bad if I can just pop the cards in and out.

Posted via CB10
    SD cards are hot-swappable. Good luck.
    12-09-13 04:04 PM
    You should def report this to BlackBerry, or your carrier at least, to get a ticket opened. This is a major issue IMO.

Posted via CB10
    rai187 likes this.
    12-09-13 04:31 PM
    Ok...so I learned tonight to just download the movies to the device and then move them to the card. I tried to download two movies to my sd card and both were causing errors, failing to download, and filling up the other data again on my sd card. I finally gave up...and was thinking of doing a wipe to see if that would make a difference. I then figured since I was planning on doing a wipe anyway, I could try and download a movie to the device. If it jammed up my device memory, no big deal since I was wiping anyway. Well...the movie downloaded with no issues. I then moved it via file manager to the sd card with no issues. A second movie download went equally as smooth.

Problem solved!

Posted via CB10
    DOCTOREVIL8 and anon1727506 like this.
    12-13-13 03:52 AM
    How do you change setting to "download to device"? I knew at I time but cannot remember or find it on the forums right now.
    12-14-13 11:44 AM
    NVM, just remembered to "pull down" to get to settings...
    12-14-13 11:51 AM
    I also started experiencing this issue when I started downloading movies and it has become extremely annoying!! Does anyone know if this issue is related to a specific OS version. My Z30 is running 10.2.0.262.
    12-14-13 10:07 PM
    I don't even download movies.. and I have this ridiculous issue of 11GB taken up in "other data".. I barely have any apps.. it's ridiculous and I think it's the reason behind my now slow and laggy z10.

I am getting very frustrated with it..

Is there any device cleaners in app world that are good for things like other data..

Posted via CB10 on the Z10
    12-15-13 01:57 PM