Hi, sorry for this post if there is anyone offended. Trust me, I didn't mean that. But I just want to share my opinion and some question about BlackBerry Priv with Android OS. I just thought that :
    1. Are there no longer BlackBerry device with OS10 no more ?
    2. Is the best way for BlackBerry to finally using Android on their next device ?
    Because for my personal opinion that developing OS10 is more important than using other platform (no offence Android users) such as developing OS10 with Google service + play store than getting amazon apps store on Passport instead.
    Thank you for the time, and sorry for my mistaken grammar because English is note my native language. Peace ^^
    10-02-15 10:28 AM
    Hi, sorry for this post if there is anyone offended. Trust me, I didn't mean that. But I just want to share my opinion and some question about BlackBerry Priv with Android OS. I just thought that :
    1. Are there no longer BlackBerry device with OS10 no more ?
    BlackBerry has given no indication that they will stop updating BB10 to my knowledge. I suppose it is possible that this might happen if they manage to take Android and make it so much better than stock Android (via addition of Hub, Peek/Flow, privacy, etc) that there is no longer any need for BB10. But we simply don't know and won't know until it actually happens one way or the other.
    2. Is the best way for BlackBerry to finally using Android on their next device ?
    We don't know. There are advantages and disadvantages to both sides. With as well as BlackBerry did in actually creating BB10 (no one can realistically deny the OS is amazing, even if developer support is not) I would suspect that they did sufficient planning and research to determine that it was the right move, but only time will tell.
    Because for my personal opinion that developing OS10 is more important than using other platform (no offence Android users) such as developing OS10 with Google service + play store than getting amazon apps store on Passport instead.
    Thank you for the time, and sorry for my mistaken grammar because English is note my native language. Peace ^^
    Everyone is entitled to their own opinion. However, it's worth noting that Google might not have agreed to allow BlackBerry to put Google Play Services on a device running BB10, which would make it impossible for BlackBerry to legally do so.
    pkcable likes this.
    10-02-15 10:49 AM
    Currently all bb devices out there are bb10 and won't be changed to Android. The Priv will be the only Android BB and it will be November before release

As for bb10 dev it's virtually stopped and will be maintained only mode with no major upgrades. No one is buying devices so it's not a money making business. they can't just add Google services to bb10 either so it's a dead end route
    Laura Knotek, howards and pkcable like this.
    10-02-15 10:53 AM
    As for bb10 dev it's virtually stopped and will be maintained only mode with no major upgrades. No one is buying devices so it's not a money making business. they can't just add Google services to bb10 either so it's a dead end route
    Yes, I agree with that. But the basic purposes of BlackBerry devices up until now is for business, either we want to admit that or not. And by that mean is that the devices is purely for working and little entertaining. So what I'm said with OS10 devices with Google services is just one other way to add the entertaining side of the devices itself, or maybe developing OS10 for more entertaining. But from what I saw is that BlackBerry is taking a more extreme step by using Android to its newest device, which is I'm hoping for the best result. But honestly, OS10 is still pretty solid and one of the best OS in the world and for what I'm thinking need some more development for better result
    pkcable and igor10000 like this.
    10-02-15 11:04 AM
    A combination of factors has forced changes a lot of people don't want, but facts have forced reality down our tubes. I've seen more people who were staunch BB supporters forced by their companies to use iPhone and Android. Some, more than a year later miss their BB devices, but have learned to live within their ecosystems. Some have (gasp) learned to enjoy and willingly live with the changes.

My carrier abandoned BlackBerry, and forced changes. I adapt, because that is the main way to move forward, despite what I would want to do. BlackBerry has apparently felt the same push, from carriers, from developers, from the purveyors of applications. When the companies you need to carry your product don't, what choices do you have? When people want apps, where do they turn?

BlackBerry gave it the best ride they could. They will be around, but different. That is the reality of today. You can tear out your hair, gnash your teeth, scream, protest, whatever, but at this point, the path is diverging. Some will choose the rocky path, others will choose the dark one. Some will sit down and stay until they get hungry, tired, or bored.

But the days will march onward, no matter what we choose. Tide and time stops for no man or woman, that's just the way it is.
    Last edited by BergerKing; 10-02-15 at 08:50 PM.
    10-02-15 11:53 AM
    Too many Android OS users don't know what smart dialling is. It means they never experienced a proper smartphone in their lives. Just take a look into their Contacts app. You will be surprised to see the full phone number with area code saved. It's an old fashioned approach used in rotary type land lines 2 generations ago.

Too many Android OS users don't know that IMEI block is national while PIN block is global.

BlackBerry is not another Nortel.

Curve 8520 ~> skipped OS 6 ~> skipped OS 7 ~> Z3 (STJ100-1 / 10.3.2.2639)
    igor10000 likes this.
    10-02-15 09:45 PM
    Yes, I agree with that. But the basic purposes of BlackBerry devices up until now is for business, either we want to admit that or not. And by that mean is that the devices is purely for working and little entertaining. So what I'm said with OS10 devices with Google services is just one other way to add the entertaining side of the devices itself, or maybe developing OS10 for more entertaining. But from what I saw is that BlackBerry is taking a more extreme step by using Android to its newest device, which is I'm hoping for the best result. But honestly, OS10 is still pretty solid and one of the best OS in the world and for what I'm thinking need some more development for better result
    I agree completely. I think BlackBerry 's real error was to mistake the business market and the value of security. If business valued security, then BlackBerry should be able to charge a premium for it. They couldn't. If they had made as much profit per unit as Apple for this security, they would be fine with bb10. Earnings report shows they sold phones for only 220 USD per unit. You can't make money on that. They are selling the Priv on the basis of security. It's the same problem. They need to identify the price it's users will pay for security, and work from there. So far I don't think BlackBerry gets it.

Posted via CB10
    10-03-15 12:37 AM
    What site is so important to be used as App?

Even maps.google.com work fine on the phone browser. Just log in and go on. You even have your links and favourites saved!!

You can save the page to your homepage and get an App icon!

Workhorse: BlackBerry|Q10, SQN100-3, OS 10.3.2.2639; Power Workhorse: BlackBerry|Passport, SQW100-1, OS 10.3.2.2639 ; Germany.
    elfabio80 likes this.
    10-03-15 03:37 AM
    10-03-15 03:39 AM
    I adapt, because that is the main way to move forward, despite what I would want to do. BlackBerry has apparently felt the same push, from carriers, from developers, from the purveyors of applications. When the companies you need to carry your product don't, what choices do you have? When people want apps, where do they turn?
    Eloquently stated and free of the hubris of some non-BB users who post with impunity on these forums.

We need more posts like this one, to calmly explain the situation.

Q10/10.3.2
    BergerKing likes this.
    10-03-15 04:29 AM

Even maps.google.com work fine on the phone browser. Just log in and go on. You even have your links and favourites saved!!

So, would you do that even if you had a functional app available?

To your first question, I'd say "plenty." Take a banking app with mobile deposit, for instance. No web shortcut helps there.

Google Maps works better as as app that interfaces with other maps in a cohesive way. Such is the benefit of an app: customer service personified... a company meeting a customer's needs on the customer's terms.
    10-03-15 06:32 AM
    I guess you are from a Chinese speaking country.
    So far,there isn't any new BlackBerry 10 device. No,nope,none.
    I do hope, but I don't think BlackBerry 10 with Google service is likely to happen.

Posted via CB10
    10-03-15 10:19 AM

Workhorse: BlackBerry|Q10, SQN100-3, OS 10.3.2.2639; Power Workhorse: BlackBerry|Passport, SQW100-1, OS 10.3.2.2639 ; Germany.
    That's the one app I had to hack in was Google Maps. The browser works but at a crippling state. I could not create new favorites from there. Also it won't save the data so you can still use your planed rout when crossing borders or if data is unavailable. Google Maps is a must have but would love it if MS made Bing Maps or Nokia Maps for us.

Posted via CB10
    10-03-15 03:11 PM

Icon limit - 210

 Curve 8520 ~> skipped OS6 ~> skipped OS7 ~>  Z3 (STJ100-1 / 10.3.2.2639)
    10-04-15 12:38 PM
    Icon limit - 210

 Curve 8520 ~> skipped OS6 ~> skipped OS7 ~>  Z3 (STJ100-1 / 10.3.2.2639)
    Combine into folders
    10-04-15 12:58 PM
    So, would you do that even if you had a functional app available?

To your first question, I'd say "plenty." Take a banking app with mobile deposit, for instance. No web shortcut helps there.
    Just wanted to interject a thought here. The OP has one world view and post showing Web work around is another. As for the mobile banking apps, I ignore the lack as a quick perusal of terms on them show them as neither private or secure. The large number of ways the bank has to avoid responsibility make it clear. Sheeple who favor convenience over privacy or security drive the proliferation of these apps. My bank constantly sends me enticements to "be modern" with their app and other banks try to use their app as a selling point to get people to switch. Don't care. I will use online banking from my PC with both firewall and antivirus updated regularly. Nothing will ever entice me to use any device that can be easily stolen or lost.

So I suppose what I'm saying is that some of us are looking for ways to get usable work arounds like what you derided as a simplistic answer. Yes, some apps would give a better user experience. But without the security BB10 OS gives you in selecting what permissions each app gets you're stuck with the blanket total loss of privacy that's by DESIGN a part of Google's business model. I get that BlackBerry is unlikely to get direct access to Google play with a pure BB10 device. But they could use a sandbox for the android system so it runs almost as a virtual machine. The android gets to play with all the toys but the core BB10 keeps you able to work and not give up your personal life. As an aside, sooner or later someone will probably file a suit over the fact that none of the people in the contacts (which are data mined for harvest) have any way to not have their data sold! I'm guessing it'll take something like a women's Safe House location or similar being divulged.

Sorry for rambling a bit but I just wanted to point out that just as many users not currently using BlackBerry just wanted a few simple apps the complete switch to an OS that won't allow users to control their devices isn't a step forward. Why should anyone switch to the priv (horrid name) from their Galaxy's or other devices just to get a keyboard that most of the public think is a useless antiquated throwback? As much as I hate to think about it, the priv looks like the last gasp from a formerly great company.

If even BlackBerry users don't love it, how do they expect to convert the rest of the world?

Just my $.02, YMMV ;-)

Posted via CB10
    10-05-15 02:45 PM