Now that T-Mobile and BlackBerry will no longer have relation to each other, how are the folks at T-Mobile gonna get OS updates?

Posted via CB10
    04-02-14 05:14 PM
    Same way any other US carrier BB owners do. Come here to CrackBerry.com and get the latest leak, or official release from non-US carriers.
    MobileMadness002 likes this.
    04-02-14 05:18 PM
    Now that T-Mobile and BlackBerry will no longer have relation to each other, how are the folks at T-Mobile gonna get OS updates?
    It's likely that they won't. They would get 10.2.1, but nothing beyond that.

For those hoping that BB will push updates themselves, that definitely won't happen OTA, but BB may make the updates available as a download/USB flash as some other manufacturers do. Obviously, it means no more WiFi Calling.
    04-02-14 05:20 PM

For those hoping that BB will push updates themselves, that definitely won't happen OTA, but BB may make the updates available as a download/USB flash as some other manufacturers do. Obviously, it means no more WiFi Calling.
    Which begs the question: How does this move by BlackBerry help its customers on T-Mobile?

A more productive solution would be to renew the contract with new terms, where BlackBerry agrees to sell and maintain the OS and T-Mobile continues to support BlackBerry fully on its network.
    04-02-14 05:47 PM
    Same way any other US carrier BB owners do. Come here to CrackBerry.com and get the latest leak, or official release from non-US carriers.
    So basically every time I update my OS I'll lose all the data? Talking about apks not regular apps

Posted via CB10
    04-02-14 06:33 PM
    Which begs the question: How does this move by BlackBerry help its customers on T-Mobile?

A more productive solution would be to renew the contract with new terms, where BlackBerry agrees to sell and maintain the OS and T-Mobile continues to support BlackBerry fully on its network.
    This is the same T-Mobile who kicked BlackBerry when it's down, their relationship is dead.

Posted via CB10
    04-02-14 06:33 PM
    No, I use the non-destructive method of updating the OS on my Z30 and Z10. Haven't lost any of my Android apps recently.
    04-02-14 07:18 PM
    If BlackBerry would push updates through Wi-Fi themselves then all this wouldn't be to much of an issue. We all would be able to use any carrier we wanted instead of having to rely on the carriers.

As you mentioned unique carrier features won't be available, but I believe many people will be willing to trade those unique features for OS updates that are available on the same day they are released. It would also mean that people's devices will always receive support as long as BlackBerry supports them.
    04-02-14 07:28 PM

But doesn't BlackBerry push more recent updates to factory unlocked phones already - regardless of the carrier it's on. They did for factory unlocked phones using AT&T SIMs.

To me, it would seem that with the licensing now out of the way, BlackBerry can push whatever they like to T-Mobile phones without being bound to their approval. After all, the files are on BlackBerry servers, it's just the carrier lock plus the SIM on the phone that tells the servers which version of the OS any given phone should get.

Now BlackBerry can release whichever one they want to those particular phones because there's no agreement to otherwise stop them.

Posted via CB10
    04-02-14 09:52 PM
    But doesn't BlackBerry push more recent updates to factory unlocked phones already - regardless of the carrier it's on. They did for factory unlocked phones using AT&T SIMs.

To me, it would seem that with the licensing now out of the way, BlackBerry can push whatever they like to T-Mobile phones without being bound to their approval. After all, the files are on BlackBerry servers, it's just the carrier lock plus the SIM on the phone that tells the servers which version of the OS any given phone should get.

Now BlackBerry can release whichever one they want to those particular phones because there's no agreement to otherwise stop them.

Posted via CB10
    This is what I'm hoping for.

Posted via CB10
    04-02-14 10:04 PM
    No, I use the non-destructive method of updating the OS on my Z30 and Z10. Haven't lost any of my Android apps recently.
    How do u update then?

Posted via CB10
    04-03-14 12:16 AM
    How do u update then?

Posted via CB10
    Use Sachesi non-destructive upgrade method. There are several guides here, in this or leaked OS subforum. ATT device with T-Mobile released software (less T-Mobile own apps) runs really well. Battery life is better then even on 10.1.
    OM
    04-03-14 10:15 AM
    I know this looks like a lot of things to do, but after you have done it once or twice, it becomes easier.

First go this page download the Sachesi application
    http://forums.crackberry.com/bb10-le...taller-825409/

Create a directory for it, and place the application there.
    Make shortcut on for it on your desktop.
    You will need to follow the instructions to set it up to communicate with the phone. The instructions are in the thread.

Now go to this page
    http://forums.crackberry.com/bb10-le...nloads-920390/

Look-up your phones model, and look for the bolded version.
    Look at the OS column and take the last number ie. 2234 for OS 10.2.1.2234

Open Sachesi
    Click on the search tab, then the little circle in the upper right hand corner, behind the install tab.
    Now click the on Version Lookup box.
    Enter in the last number of the OS version, ie 2234

Click the lookup button.
    Next click grab the links button.
    Note pad will open up.

Locate and the link for de-brick file for your phone model.
    Copy and paste your browser, press enter to begin the download

Select and copy the Radio version link for your phone model.

In Sachesi, click on the install tab

After both are downloaded, in the directory that they downloaded to, highlight both files,
    Drag the files to the to Sachesi.

Sachesi will start installing the Bar files.
    Sit back relax, once the files are on the phone, it will reboot.

Your phone is now upgraded.
    Your Android apps will be there, texts, emails and contacts, account settings etc.. will all be there.
    It will take a while for the OS to settle in.
    LoneStarRed, vagos2006 and ciabo like this.
    04-03-14 10:25 AM
    I know this looks like a lot of things to do, but after you have done it once or twice, it becomes easier.

First go this page download the Sachesi application
    http://forums.crackberry.com/bb10-le...taller-825409/

Create a directory for it, and place the application there.
    Make shortcut on for it on your desktop.
    You will need to follow the instructions to set it up to communicate with the phone. The instructions are in the thread.

Now go to this page
    http://forums.crackberry.com/bb10-le...nloads-920390/

Look-up your phones model, and look for the bolded version.
    Look at the OS column and take the last number ie. 2234 for OS 10.2.1.2234

Open Sachesi
    Click on the search tab, then the little circle in the upper right hand corner, behind the install tab.
    Now click the on Version Lookup box.
    Enter in the last number of the OS version, ie 2234

Click the lookup button.
    Next click grab the links button.
    Note pad will open up.

Locate and the link for de-brick file for your phone model.

Select and copy the Radio version link for your phone model.

In Sachesi, click on the install tab

After both are downloaded, in the directory that they downloaded to, highlight both files,
    Drag the files to the to Sachesi.

Sachesi will start installing the Bar files.
    Sit back relax, once the files are on the phone, it will reboot.

Your phone is now upgraded.
    Your Android apps will be there, texts, emails and contacts, account settings etc.. will all be there.
    It will take a while for the OS to settle in.
    Thanks, will try when a more stable 10.3 version comes out, or maybe the official one

Posted via CB10
    04-03-14 10:38 AM
    YES...updates will still happen

Trusted Member Genius
    04-03-14 04:37 PM
    That's what I've being hearing from some people with unlock phones. It seems that the added benefit of buying unlocked phones is that you can get the OS updates instead of waiting for the carrier to push it. This would mean that people can still use any carrier and get official updates if they buy their phones unlocked.
    04-03-14 11:18 PM
    That's what I've being hearing from some people with unlock phones. It seems that the added benefit of buying unlocked phones is that you can get the OS updates instead of waiting for the carrier to push it. This would mean that people can still use any carrier and get official updates if they buy their phones unlocked.
    Yup. I downloaded 10.2 OTA on my unlocked z10 way before t-mobile had it available.

Posted via CB10
    04-03-14 11:38 PM
    Yup. I downloaded 10.2 OTA on my unlocked z10 way before t-mobile had it available.
    Thanks for letting everyone know. That is very good news.
    04-03-14 11:48 PM

That's actually not true. Legere stated gull OS support moving forward. You really shouldn't speculate on things you have no real information on. It's not good for the forums.

Posted via CB10
    04-03-14 11:50 PM
    Use Sachesi non-destructive upgrade method. There are several guides here, in this or leaked OS subforum. ATT device with T-Mobile released software (less T-Mobile own apps) runs really well. Battery life is better then even on 10.1.
    OM
    Forget about Sachesi and installing leaks to get current updates. If Blackberry doesn't push the updates out to T Mobile users after the agreement deadline has past, then the majority of the Blackberry users will just move on.

As I said many times before, 99% of the users out there are not going to install leaks. They want an OTA update, period. At this stage of the game Blackberry needs as many users as they can get.

My personnel opinion is the Blackberry faithful here on T Mobile USA have been abandoned. I know Mr Chen wants to concentrate his efforts on enterprise and the developing countries.

It was the USA and T Mobile who help make Blackberry what they where in the beginning, but I guess that don't count anymore does it????

Sent using CB Forum App
    04-04-14 04:19 AM
    Forget about Sachesi and installing leaks to get current updates. If Blackberry doesn't push the updates out to T Mobile users after the agreement deadline has past, then the majority of the Blackberry users will just move on.
    Sadly, this is probably true...

As I said many times before, 99% of the users out there are not going to install leaks. They want an OTA update, period. At this stage of the game Blackberry needs as many users as they can get.
    Agreed.

My personnel opinion is the Blackberry faithful here on T Mobile USA have been abandoned. I know Mr Chen wants to concentrate his efforts on enterprise and the developing countries.
    Guess we'll have to wait and see...

I'm mostly curious about their cooperation in regards to the Wi-Fi Calling feature. If it stops working, will it be because of T-Mobile or BlackBerry? T-Mobile provides the network hooks to make it work, but BlackBerry supplies the software connection. If it breaks, is it because T-Mobile stopped supplying the network hooks to BlackBerry devices (if that needs to be a specific support item) or would it because BlackBerry doesn't feel it's necessary to update the OS to support the small number of T-Mobile BlackBerry customers?

If Chen only cares about Enterprise and developing countries, then he's abandoned us comsumer level customers already... However, he does seem to listen to customers, so there's hope.
    04-04-14 12:20 PM
    Hi all

Until otherwise announced BlackBerry will continue to work with carriers to release new OS versions.

Because T-Mobile and BlackBerry no longer have a contract to resell BlackBerry products it does not mean T-Mobile won't test and approve new OS versions.

The interesting case is if some carrier stops testing. So far the answer has been "then no more updates". So ask the individual carriers what they intent to do.

I would love for BlackBerry to do it globally. Just inform the carriers ahead and only pause in case of serious problems with the radio stack.

All other app/OS issues should be handled and updated directly by BlackBerry.

They just need to grow by a factor of 20 to be in a position to do so.

Posted via CB10
    04-05-14 04:49 AM