This is especially concerning US carriers. I wish blackberry would make OS Update directly available to blackberry users in the US from their website so as to avoid the constant delay in OS Update release from the US carriers. Considering the fact that several users are already using leaked versions of the OS10 updates with little issues in most cases, and that if someone brought a blackberry phone from a country where the latest OS10 is already official, assuming the model is compatible with a carrier network here in the U.S, they would be able to use the phone just as well in this country! I guess I'm just wondering maybe blackberry should start to consider getting OS directly to their customers from their website, and if there's any tweaking the carriers would like to put in place, let them be the one to play catch up. And whenever they're done, they can always of course release their update. Or perhaps maybe there's more to this whole update thing than I know, but it appears to me that beyond making money off of selling trendy phones, the carriers aren't very dedicated to working on ensuring prompt OS Update releases. And by the way, this looks to be like another conspiracy tool they now might be using against the blackberry brand. Let's know what the rest of you think though. But please let's just keep it to the subject and your take, thanks.

Posted via CB10
    11-15-13 07:53 AM
    U know blackberry doesn't call the shot because it's powerless without carrier unlike apple.

Posted via CB10
    11-15-13 08:21 AM
    That may be true. But something has to give at some point.

Posted via CB10
    11-15-13 08:25 AM
    That may be true. But something has to give at some point.

Posted via CB10
    By the time AT&T releases 10.2, 10.2.1 will have been released. Just use sachesi, its not that bad.
    11-15-13 09:53 AM
    U know blackberry doesn't call the shot because it's powerless without carrier unlike apple.

Posted via CB10
    At this point BlackBerry doesn't have much to lose in the US. They're barely getting any US carrier support as it is right now, so they might as well allow people to get updates directly from BlackBerry instead of relying on the carriers. It would make it a much better user experience.

In my opinion, the way Apple releases its OS updates directly to their customers should be the standard way of OS updates. Relying on carriers is only asking for trouble. The iPhone wasn't always as popular as it is today. They didn't always have the power to do things their way. I believe it's more that they have had the courage though the years to insist carriers do things their way. That mentality is probably mostly credited to Steve Jobs' stubbornist and insistence in doing things his way which in this case has greatly benefited the customers.

If BlackBerry continues to rely on and depend on the carriers then they will probably be facing a constant uphill battle. Remember what happened to Palm? It didn't work out so well for them. Letting the carriers do what's best for them and not the customer will probably make BlackBerry lose even more users.

The support for BlackBerry from US carriers is close to zero, so it would be nice if BlackBerry stopped worrying about what the carriers wanted and started thinking about how to make BlackBerry a better experience for its current users. I'm still surprised BlackBerry doesn't sell unlock phones directly to the US public as a secondary method to sell phones. For example, iPhones were still fairly popular on other US carriers before AT&T lost its exclusivity.

If BlackBerry loses its current loyal customers they won't have much need for carrier support since they won't have any customers.
    11-15-13 02:51 PM
    Just use sachesi, its not that bad.
    In my opinion, that's not the point. If BlackBerry users are forced to use other methods to get their OS updates then it becomes less user friendly to the general public.

If BlackBerry hopes to get more of the market share, then the customer shouldn't have to take extra steps to get their OS updates.

Imagine trying to tell your grandparents to use Sachesi for updates. That probably would cause them to find another phone with better user experience.
    11-15-13 03:00 PM
    Most people do not care about OS updates. Crackberry members are not the average BlackBerry user.
    In my opinion, that's not the point. If BlackBerry users are forced to use other methods to get their OS updates then it becomes less user friendly to the general public.

If BlackBerry hopes to get more of the market share, then the customer shouldn't have to take extra steps to get their OS updates.

Imagine trying to tell your grandparents to use Sachesi for updates. That probably would cause them to find another phone with better user experience.

Posted via CB10
    Spencerdl likes this.
    11-15-13 03:13 PM
    +1

Posted via CB10
    11-15-13 03:48 PM
    At this point BlackBerry doesn't have much to lose in the US. They're barely getting any US carrier support as it is right now, so they might as well allow people to get updates directly from BlackBerry instead of relying on the carriers. It would make it a much better user experience.

In my opinion, the way Apple releases its OS updates directly to their customers should be the standard way of OS updates. Relying on carriers is only asking for trouble. The iPhone wasn't always as popular as it is today. They didn't always have the power to do things their way. I believe it's more that they have had the courage though the years to insist carriers do things their way. That mentality is probably mostly credited to Steve Jobs' stubbornist and insistence in doing things his way which in this case has greatly benefited the customers.

If BlackBerry continues to rely on and depend on the carriers then they will probably be facing a constant uphill battle. Remember what happened to Palm? It didn't work out so well for them. Letting the carriers do what's best for them and not the customer will probably make BlackBerry lose even more users.

The support for BlackBerry from US carriers is close to zero, so it would be nice if BlackBerry stopped worrying about what the carriers wanted and started thinking about how to make BlackBerry a better experience for its current users. I'm still surprised BlackBerry doesn't sell unlock phones directly to the US public as a secondary method to sell phones. For example, iPhones were still fairly popular on other US carriers before AT&T lost its exclusivity.

If BlackBerry loses its current loyal customers they won't have much need for carrier support since they won't have any customers.
    +1. Absolutely right!

Posted via CB10
    11-15-13 03:50 PM
    I'm still surprised BlackBerry doesn't sell unlock phones directly to the US public as a secondary method to sell phones.
    They do, but for US only which irks me because I'm in Canada.

https://forums.crackberry.com/e?link...token=D4jvl0mK

Posted via CB10
    11-15-13 04:15 PM
    Most people do not care about OS updates. Crackberry members are not the average BlackBerry user.

Posted via CB10
    Yes, that might be true, but I've read a report that says that the iPhone has a 70% adopting rate for iOS 7. That's very high, so maybe the general public does care about updates. Apple more so than BlackBerry has more of the "average consumer" so if they have a high adoption rate, then it seems that the general public does care about OS updates.

But my overall point is that BlackBerry probably should care about the parts of the user experience as it relates to the carriers, because the carriers in the US are not giving BlackBerry and its customers much support.
    Last edited by bbzp; 11-15-13 at 05:08 PM.
    11-15-13 04:50 PM
    They do, but for US only which irks me because I'm in Canada.

https://forums.crackberry.com/e?link...token=JXsA1W9R

Posted via CB10
    Thanks for the link. The last time I checked I couldn't find a way to buy from BlackBerry directly. Atleast that is one positive, but I'm disappointed that you can't do the same in Canada. That goes back to the points I've been trying to make above.
    11-15-13 04:53 PM
    Sorry, double post. Mods please delete if you're reading this.
    11-15-13 05:05 PM
    Apple has a few things going for it in regards to releasing it's own updates that BlackBerry doesn't:

- Apple has its own stores to deal with customers
    - Apple's customers are much more lenient to Apple when something goes wrong - Screen cracked? Just keep using it and buy a new model when it becomes time.
    - Apple has enough users and makes enough profit for the carriers that the carriers willing to deal with issues

Don't get me wrong. I want direct updates too.
    Spencerdl likes this.
    11-15-13 05:42 PM
    I think BlackBerry isn't the only one, Android confronts the same problem with the carriers.

Posted via CB10
    11-15-13 07:39 PM
    Apple has a few things going for it in regards to releasing it's own updates that BlackBerry doesn't:

- Apple has its own stores to deal with customers
    - Apple's customers are much more lenient to Apple when something goes wrong - Screen cracked? Just keep using it and buy a new model when it becomes time.
    - Apple has enough users and makes enough profit for the carriers that the carriers willing to deal with issues

Don't get me wrong. I want direct updates too.
    THIS ^^^^ Exactly
    11-15-13 07:42 PM
    In my opinion, if the kind of help carriers currently offer to blackberry is the best they have to offer, especially at a time when even some critics agree that blackberry has made tremendous progress in their new OS10 release, then I think blackberry might be better served offering the option to buy directly from their website in addition to offerings by carriers, and certainly also directly make OS updates directly available to their user base via their website.
    I think regardless what the carriers might think, as long as blackberry continues to make good and steady progress like they've been recently, they'll eventually get the well deserved attention of the carriers and their cooperation.
    Can you imagine what things would have looked like if this carriers actually also determined the sale of BlackBerry phones outside the United States? OMG! We all probably would be using some other phone brands by now.

Posted via CB10
    11-16-13 07:31 AM
    Thread title needs to use ? Instead of !

Makes people think BlackBerry are giving out os now.

Posted via CB10
    11-16-13 07:49 AM
    I updated to latest leak last night. I downloaded the auto loader to my pc plugged in my phone and within ten minutes had the new OS installed then I restored my phone from link which took quite a bit longer to do as the file was large 3gb and my phone was up and running just as it was before the leak. Wasn't difficult or complicated. And I'm what you would call an average user.

Posted via CB10
    11-16-13 07:57 AM
    Thread title needs to use ? Instead of !

Makes people think BlackBerry are giving out os now.

Posted via CB10
    Well the title was intended to convey a strong opinion and not a sort of question.

Posted via CB10
    11-16-13 11:34 AM
    Well the title was intended to convey a strong opinion and not a sort of question.

Posted via CB10
    That's when the "?!" comes in to play. (y)

Posted via CB10
    11-16-13 12:06 PM
    Every phone OS company wants to release their updates directly to their customers.

The carriers don't like the idea because it takes power out of their hands. "What power?" you might ask? The answer is a lot of power.
    • Bloatware. Think of how many phones have crap on them that you don't want that are carrier branded. They might also include other people's programs because those companies pay them to.
    • Changing defaults. They can default things to use "Bing" instead of "Google" for example.
    • They can plaster their logo everywhere.
    • They can put stuff in to monitor you more directly.
    • They can disable features they want you to pay extra for. (like Hotspot).

On the other hand they also want to make sure it works with less problems since they don't want to deal with the multitude of people complaining about how it broke their phone.

And Apple was the only company with the guts to say "give us what we want or we walk" from the get go. AT&T took a chance on them and demolished everyone for it. And since it was selling so well every other carrier wanted it and since Apple already set the precedence the carriers didn't fight it. Well they fought it but they gave in.

As for Blackberry going that way. They have no power. What would happen if Blackberry told them "we're gonna not go thru you"? The carriers would likely say "ok, we'll just drop you; you're not selling that well anyways". So this means no carrier advertising, no carrier carrying the phones, and no carrier subsidizing those phones. This might not be a huge hit for RIM since carriers don't advertise the BB10 phones too much and carriers aren't selling many BB10 phones, but you really need to look at the data. If a significant amount of people buy their phones subsidized, this is going to hurt BB worse than it'll help.
    11-16-13 12:28 PM
    You'd think the carriers would prefer BlackBerry made the releases that way if there was a problem they could blame BlackBerry.

Posted with my Z10 or my Q10 on Verizon from Philly
    11-16-13 12:36 PM