Hi there,

Considering a OS10 BB device as my new daily driver.
    I wanted to check in terms of security i.e. protection against current threats - malware, ransom ware e.t.c is a BB10 device still secure in this respect and for online banking?
    I ask this as i'm aware, obviously updates will be limited, but will there still be security updates regardless of no OS updates?

thanks.
    08-06-17 05:52 AM
    Yep! You're safe! Go for it!

Posted via CB10
    08-06-17 05:52 AM
    The update front is an empty wasteland, there is one new build on the production servers and if it ever gets released it will likely be the last of the security/maintenance updates.
    The OS is secure and no sane person would write malware for it when there is iOS and android as an option.
    08-06-17 06:26 AM
    Hi there,

Considering a OS10 BB device as my new daily driver.
    I wanted to check in terms of security i.e. protection against current threats - malware, ransom ware e.t.c is a BB10 device still secure in this respect and for online banking?
    I ask this as i'm aware, obviously updates will be limited, but will there still be security updates regardless of no OS updates?

thanks.
    The last update for BB10 was at the end of 2016 with 10.3.3 and there does not appear there will be anymore updates. The 10.3.3 update was severely delayed and the promised 10.3.4 update is unlikely to happen. Many, far more experienced than myself, Crackberrians have explained that because of the 10.3.3 delay, both updates were rolled together into 10.3.3, most likely.

Many apps that depend on higher level security have moved beyond Android runtime 4.3 and so can no longer be used on BB10 side loaded. The BB10 web browsers have also had some issues reported. If you already own a BB10 device, keep using as long as possible. If you have money that you can afford to spend on temporary device, buy a BB10 device. Even BB and BBMo have moved onto Android OS with their last and latest devices.
    08-06-17 06:31 AM
    No, it'll only get worse over time. Its defense against ransomware is to be so irrelevant that malware authors would ignore it, but the issue with that is that every other developer (including, now, BlackBerry) is doing the same.

You're best off with the trio of consistent updates, a name-brand OEM, and common sense, i.e. Google/Samsung/Apple.
    08-06-17 07:31 AM
    BlackBerry 10 of course remains a very solid operating system in terms of security. Despite how poorly and neglected it's been, the company itself is proud of how secure it still remains, despite their focus on Android now.

In fact, its security is the reason why they haven't immediately done away with it years ago; because many governments and big corporations are still relying on it.
    08-06-17 04:37 PM
    BlackBerry 10 of course remains a very solid operating system in terms of security. Despite how poorly and neglected it's been, the company itself is proud of how secure it still remains, despite their focus on Android now.

In fact, its security is the reason why they haven't immediately done away with it years ago; because many governments and big corporations are still relying on it.
    Are you sure about that? Everything I've seen recently suggests that marketshare has cratered and BB10 had a very low adoption rate.
    08-06-17 08:53 PM
    The only reason they didn't dump it years ago is because of commitments to suppliers and contractual obligations to the handful of companies that bought in.

They also needed to keep their foot in the secure space until their cross-platform EMM solution became viable.
    08-06-17 09:26 PM
    Are you sure about that? Everything I've seen recently suggests that marketshare has cratered and BB10 had a very low adoption rate.
    Positive. It was slow amongst consumers on a large scale, but companies were another story.

The only reason they didn't dump it years ago is because of commitments to suppliers and contractual obligations to the handful of companies that bought in.

They also needed to keep their foot in the secure space until their cross-platform EMM solution became viable.
    Which further proves that its security and productivity were highly desirable traits, hence why these companies bought the handsets.
    08-07-17 06:03 PM
    Positive. It was slow amongst consumers on a large scale, but companies were another story.
    [citation needed]
    08-07-17 06:16 PM

Which further proves that its security and productivity were highly desirable traits, hence why these companies bought the handsets.
    What companies?? The corporate sector has been dumping BBOS with the old BES 10 and previous and then adding EMM solutions from BB like Good and BES 12 but with no BB10 uptake....
    08-07-17 09:07 PM
    [citation needed]
    What companies?? The corporate sector has been dumping BBOS with the old BES 10 and previous and then adding EMM solutions from BB like Good and BES 12 but with no BB10 uptake....
    BlackBerry themselves said that they have both regular consumers and businesses that rely on BlackBerry 10, hence why they're "committed" to maintaining the OS. The committed part is honestly questionable these days, but there was even an article in CrackBerry's blog in regards to why they've still maintained it throughout the years. 2017 and 2018 are big question marks, but you can look into it from there.
    08-10-17 10:10 PM
    BlackBerry themselves said that they have both regular consumers and businesses that rely on BlackBerry 10, hence why they're "committed" to maintaining the OS. The committed part is honestly questionable these days, but there was even an article in CrackBerry's blog in regards to why they've still maintained it throughout the years. 2017 and 2018 are big question marks, but you can look into it from there.
    That was a non-answer. You were asked what large corporate contracts Blackberry had for BB10 phones. Please name or provide links for any companies you think are still using BB10 on a large scale.
    DrBoomBotz likes this.
    08-11-17 06:49 AM
    That was a non-answer. You were asked what large corporate contracts Blackberry had for BB10 phones. Please name or provide links for any companies you think are still using BB10 on a large scale.
    Unfortunately, a lot of these articles just don't mention specific names, so finding exact names can take quite a bit of work and deep digging, but here's a link.

“BB10 has a strong following around the world in enterprise and government, as well as consumers in particular markets,” says Thurber. “I want to make sure that our customers and users don’t get concerned that we’re not continuing to support and invest in BB10 because we absolutely are.”

Now we all know that their 2017 commitment is questionable, but at least this lets you know why they haven't officially canned BlackBerry 10.
    anon(10218918) likes this.
    08-11-17 12:32 PM
    Yes it is, still kryptographic kernel version 5. I would recomend using the native password keeper, its a clean browser and searchable through to the index. Has a lot of device access including settings://security and file:///hows heartbleed I havent found its data in the Index but I found enpass and Keepers. Clear clipboard is good. Can encrypt the device with a password and if you know your setup, use the parental controls as another layer. Assistant is great too if you have the time to learn it. email and social media work perfect in the password keeper. Easy to change what USB does when plugged in, has device sd card act as a flash drive, charge only mode or can set a manual IP address. These devices were built with kryptography, finance and security in mind I think you will like that about them. They have some Certificates You might not want. And vice versa. Only issue I had was with DoD, symantech and a chinese company cant remember the name.

Posted via CB10
    08-11-17 09:36 PM
    Do you want to play games, or have an encrypted phone linked with enterprise. Android/BlackBerry
    Protonmail makes a nice BBID I think runs well in the password manager also. Browser is perfect no problems until you get sniffed out. Nothing any other browser does has kept me using them BB browser works just know your settings.

Posted via CB10
    08-11-17 09:43 PM
    One thing that's safer on our side is the fact that BAR files can't be redistributed by extracting them from your device, unlike on the Android side where the Internet is filled with cracked extracted APK's.

Posted via CB10 using my amazing  Passport (OG Red) <3
    08-12-17 03:43 PM
    One thing that's safer on our side is the fact that BAR files can't be redistributed by extracting them from your device, unlike on the Android side where the Internet is filled with cracked extracted APK's.

It does suck for backups though.
    08-12-17 03:43 PM
    It does suck for backups though.
    I agree, but I was talking from a dev perspective.

08-13-17 03:42 PM
    I agree, but I was talking from a dev perspective.

Cracked bar files don't matter if there's no one around to use them ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
    08-13-17 03:46 PM
    Cracked bar files don't matter if there's no one around to use them ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
    Worrying about people hacking app distribution is a dead issue. If you really want to make money selling applications there are lots of ways to keep people who didn't purchase the application from using them. Or you just give the application away and monetize your customers. It is amazing what people will believe if you offer them "free" stuff.

https://www.techdirt.com/articles/20...-service.shtml

LeapSTR100-2/10.3.3.2205
    08-13-17 04:08 PM