I know this is probably a discussed topic on many forums here but will the BB10 OS still work properly in the near future as to the native apps as well?
    05-11-18 03:41 PM
    I know this is probably a discussed topic on many forums here but will the BB10 OS still work properly in the near future as to the native apps as well?
    Although the browser continues its hasty decline, the other apps should be ok for a bit. All bets are off as at Dec 2019 though.
    05-11-18 03:48 PM
    Although the browser continues its hasty decline, the other apps should be ok for a bit. All bets are off as at Dec 2019 though.
    So all BB10 phones will no longer work??
    05-11-18 05:06 PM
    So all BB10 phones will no longer work??
    I said all bets are off.

Hope for the best, but assume and plan for the worst.
    05-11-18 05:26 PM
    The phone will continue to work, for sure.
    But emails, bbm, and other apps are pretty dependent.
    I just initiate my bbm protected, in the hope that BB won't stop supporting it.

Posted via CB10
    05-12-18 12:06 PM
    BTW, if you care about apps, go for Android or iOS.

Posted via CB10
    05-12-18 12:07 PM

Posted via CB10
    Strange delineation, as anything you interact with on a smartphone is an app: HUB, browser, settings, phone, picture viewer, media player, file manager, etc.
    05-12-18 01:03 PM
    The phone will continue to work, for sure.
    But emails, bbm, and other apps are pretty dependent.
    I just initiate my bbm protected, in the hope that BB won't stop supporting it.

Posted via CB10
    It also depends on upstream. I mean: let's suppose Google or Microsoft makes server changes forcing every dev to incorporate the changes (which has happened in the past!)... BlackBerry is not going to do that.

Posted via CB10 using my amazing  Passport (OG Red) <3
    05-12-18 04:36 PM
    I said all bets are off.

Hope for the best, but assume and plan for the worst.
    Thank you for the feedback. So would it be worth buying a bb10 phone?
    05-12-18 05:55 PM

Posted via CB10
    I was referring to the native apps on the blackberry world
    05-12-18 05:56 PM
    I wouldn't. Certainly not as a primary device.
    05-12-18 06:00 PM
    Strange delineation, as anything you interact with on a smartphone is an app: HUB, browser, settings, phone, picture viewer, media player, file manager, etc.
    Yes, they are.
    And if those apps make up the so-called app gap, what makes BB10 fail?

Posted via CB10
    05-12-18 07:37 PM
    I was referring to the native apps on the blackberry world
    Free apps are downloadable at the moment. Paid ones aren't.
    My personal guess is they will continue to work after the deadline.

Posted via CB10
    05-12-18 07:39 PM
    Free apps are downloadable at the moment. Paid ones aren't.
    My personal guess is they will continue to work after the deadline.
    There are apps that stop working all the time - read the BB10 Apps forum. The fact is that most developers have abandoned their BB10 apps, and for any apps that connect to online services (which is most of them), if something changes with that online service, it will break the client app, and since devs aren't updating their BB10 apps, it means that app is broken. That process will continue, and may accelerate.

Standalone apps (apps that have no online component) will continue to work, but when BB World goes away, if you have to factory-reset for some reason, those apps will be lost.

It really makes no sense to adopt BB10 as a primary phone in 2018. If you can afford it as a hobby/secondary phone, then no problem, but anyone planning to use it beyond the end of next year is likely to be disappointed (and it won't necessarily take until the end of next year before the disappointment happens).

There were many thousands of diehards who swore they'd use WebOS or Meego "forever" - nearly all of them use Android or iOS today. There's a reason for that: technology that's unsupported quickly becomes unusable.
    05-12-18 09:37 PM
    At the right price, it most certainly would be worth it as long as you don't require specific 3rd party apps. I use a bb10 phone every day. No issues.

Posted via CB10
    05-13-18 12:37 AM
    Hello,

I'm a big fan of how BB10 works and until recently I've been 99% happy with what I used it for. That is core features. Of course some might argue what those are, but to me it's pretty obvious.

In any case...day by day, I'm forced to start looking for alternatives. It won't matter that the user experience I get will be inferior, if something becomes more work than function it's all over.

So, even I as a BB10 fan can't recommend starting with a blackberry today. Blackberry is gone as a device. Now it's Android or iOS and they delightful relic I'm using to type this post is on borrowed time.

Posted via CB10
    05-13-18 04:18 PM