I work as a photographer, and wondered if anybody out there knows if it might be possible to transfer pictures from my camera (FTP wireless module) to any BlackBerry OS 10 device without a router.

I was recently working covering the Philippines typhoon disaster, and was desperate to reduce the amount of equipment required. The camera (Canon 1DX) is able to convert, resize, compress and transmit files to an FTP server - if it were possible to link direct to a BlackBerry it would reduce the need for a computer/iPad and router which would be a massive advantage for news and field photographers.

If there are any guys/girls out there who really know BlackBerry OS 10, I'd love to hear from you.
    11-23-13 01:21 PM
    There are apps, that has FTP access you can get one of them is playcloud, and one other called files and folders I think.
    11-23-13 01:39 PM
    Someone posted a couples months ago about doing something similar using, I think, a wi-fi SDCARD and the Z10 to share vacation photos. Try searching for that.

Posted via CB10
    11-23-13 01:41 PM
    Thanks Guys - I'll check out the apps. Can't use SD cards - it has to go through Canon's (excellent and very versatile) FTP module.
    11-23-13 01:53 PM
    PlayCloud might not work for you in this case, but it is still an excellent tool. It allows the BB10 device to access many network and cloud resources including FTP servers. It sounds like what you want is an FTP server running on the BB10 device. But let us know how you make out.

Edit:

I was poking around to see what might be available in the way of open source FTP servers. I found Pure-FTPd which has been ported to a number of Unix derivative OSs, including Android. You may be able to find an APK that will run under 10.2.1 if nothing else presents itself.
    11-23-13 04:14 PM
    I actually use AndFTP to access my FTP server.

Works really well and you can specify custom ports and credentials. Set PASV or Active FTP protocols.
    11-23-13 04:40 PM