I seem to have a memory leak on my Q10 - I'm down to 2% available device memory and when I drill down it tells me that 15.5gig is all in 'other data' I've deleted every app except the few I rely on for 'work' (FB, Twitter, LinkedIn and BBM) and I'm still having the problem. Incredibly frustrating as it's rendering the phone basically useless - I lost what few photos/videos I had on it last night too, they just disappeared as though they were never there.

Has anyone experienced this? Would an OS update help or should I be wiping it and starting fresh? (and if so, does anyone know HOW to do that?) I'm afraid this may be the end for me and BB as this has happened on previous models and I don't have the patience for it, but I'm willing to at least try if anyone has any suggestions.

Thank you!
    10-26-13 03:26 PM
    15.5 gig is a lot of "other!" If you have deleted every third party app (except for the ones you listed that you need to keep), all games, and you still have an issue, then a wipe is a good next step. One tip, though: save all pictures and videos to a removable memory card, that will help. Going forward, make sure you do this regularly, it will help.

To do a wipe: the very first thing you should do is plug the phone into a wall charger. The wipe will use up a significant amount of power! It will also take a long time so plan for that. Do not interfere with it until it shuts itself off-which it will do automatically once the wipe is complete. To wipe: go to settings-security-security wipe. Follow the on screen directions then just wait for completion.

The downside to this is that you will have to re-set up ALL of your e-mail accounts, FB, Twitter, Linked In, and BBM. But, it will most likely help with whatever issue you have with memory. If you have music, pictures, and videos all saved to the phone and not an SD card, eventually the on board memory will fill up!

An OS update will not solve it necessarily as it will not provide more memory to the phone. It will help with the overall operations of the phone, though (battery improvements, stability, speed).

Try the wipe first and see if it helps.
    10-26-13 04:00 PM
    Thank you for the quick reply! What I don't understand, is does an OS upgrade constitute a 'wipe'? Or do I have to do another step first to totally uninstall/wipe it?

As for saving things, I save everything to my computer and to my SD card. There is no music, no picture, no videos on my phone (which is disheartening in 2013) So it's not that filling it up - something seems wrong. It's weird, file manager lists my phone at 3% available of 16gig but my linked computer account says it has 10,000gig available? That makes no sense!

The only photo/video I lost were the ones I had taken over a 2 day period that hadn't backed up yet - but still, 15 photos shouldn't be suddenly disappearing because of memory problems, that's absurd.

So if there's anything I need to do before an OS upgrade I would love to know - but I assume I just plug into Link and 'update'?

Thanks!
    10-26-13 04:55 PM