TyW Community Manager
    3:37 PM
    In order to access the update, you*must visit the URL using the browser on your BlackBerry 10 device.*
    <snip>
    To update the BlackBerry Runtime for Android, visit the following URL from the browser of the BlackBerry 10
    </snip>
    Is it expected that the site returns "The requested item does not exist or is not available. (EC )" if you are viewing it using a web browser on your computer, or tablet.*
    Note; We are still investigating reports that some users receive a network error when attempting to install the update. As soon as this issue is resolved I'll be sure to*notify everyone! Thank you for your patience and understanding*
    Add Comment

Posted via CB10
    02-17-16 03:06 PM
    TyW Community Manager
    3:37 PM
    In order to access the update, you*must visit the URL using the browser on your BlackBerry 10 device.*
    <snip>
    To update the BlackBerry Runtime for Android, visit the following URL from the browser of the BlackBerry 10
    </snip>
    Is it expected that the site returns "The requested item does not exist or is not available. (EC )" if you are viewing it using a web browser on your computer, or tablet.*
    Note; We are still investigating reports that some users receive a network error when attempting to install the update. As soon as this issue is resolved I'll be sure to*notify everyone! Thank you for your patience and understanding*
    Add Comment

Posted via CB10
    Thanks for this, best laugh I had so far today. LOL.

Posted via CB10
    Ursus Rufus likes this.
    02-17-16 04:58 PM
    We are still investigating reports that some users receive a network error when attempting to install the update. As soon as this issue is resolved I'll be sure to*notify everyone! Thank you for your patience and understanding*

Posted via CB10
    By "some", he means 99.99% of users worldwide.
    02-17-16 05:01 PM
    Thanks Conite & Cobalt
    I followed your instructions and now I am able to uninstall Android Apps on my BB Passport....
    Ursus Rufus likes this.
    02-17-16 10:35 PM
    Showbox does not work with the Android Runtime update

Posted Via CB10 from Z30 OS 10.3.2.2836 
    This is helpful. Thank you.

-Are you certain it worked prior to the update?

- Have you noticed any other apps that do not work, since the update?

-Can you confirm uninstall works properly?

Posted via CB10
    02-18-16 07:03 AM
    I read this thread the day it went up. I sachesi'd 2813 ART&shell to my 2876 Passport & all runs well. I will NOT resume OTA until I see a subsequent version higher than 2879 some say exists but possesses the defective ART. I wonder if the hoped for full OTA update will install over what I have, or will I be obliged to put on the defective 85mb piece now shown in the software update settings dialog & associated nags? Will the GOOD OTA supersede that, or would update via link allow skipping the bad fragment?
    As Conite said to me, there is no need to install the defective ART. If newer, the "hoped for full update" will in fact install over what you have. You can skip the bad fragment.

Assuming a full update ever arrives. And, assuming it has no new defects...

Sigh.

Posted via CB10
    JamesW_UK likes this.
    02-18-16 07:22 AM
    A. RADICAL IDEA... Why don't the skeleton team of bb10 simply ask Conite & Cobalt how to fix the ART & more?
    arkenoi likes this.
    02-18-16 08:45 AM
    i've never updated to .2836 luckily but am astonished to realize that BlackBerry hasen't really come up with a proper solution/fix :/
    instead, the priv that I for sure won't buy is hyped and pushed through media that one might come to think that support and development for other devices has somewhat stalled... not good news if you ask me...

Posted via CB10
    02-18-16 09:02 AM
    A. RADICAL IDEA... Why don't the skeleton team of bb10 simply ask Conite & Cobalt how to fix the ART & more?
    Saved by CB...BlackBerry should be paying these people!

Posted via CB10
    02-18-16 09:28 AM
    They'll send them a double-taped "new" q5 ...
    02-18-16 09:37 AM
    I may be missing something, read pages and pages so apologize if addressed but I bought a new SE Passport from Blackberry themselves 3 days ago, been working great, it did a small update at first now says no updates available and it is on version 10.3.2.2836 is this normal, what is the 2876 version with the issue and is 2836 effected that I am on?

(I do not know why with a brand new se I am on this 2836 but seems fine?)

Did they fix it by putting us back or does my device pose this bug if I decide to go ahead with android apps as well? Also, why is there no update to the latest (not that I am complaining?) on my SE?...

I will just check the few droid apps against my q 10 over WiFi now that I need and if so use apk extractor to g mail and blackberry's browser to sign in and download to the passport, do not even need google-play store I suppose.

Thanks in advance, Steve

PS: Am I best off just side-loading the very few droid apps I need like voxer and cb radio versus installing play-store at least until this is fixed? Also, anybody have a link to cobalts latest google play-store files, I had the original for my q 10 but surely it has been updated by now even though my other still works I am not on a different updated OS as stated above. PPS: I never minded a little plug and side-load! Should I disable two step verification on my google account if I do install cobalts play-store to make my life easier?

Thanks in advance for any and all replies!

PPPPPPPS: Difference between snap and play-store, why do some have both if do same, can you make purchase and refunds with cobalts google play and do any .apk's integrate with the hub?
    02-18-16 12:54 PM
    Wow...lots of questions, where to begin... Yes, yes and yes. You are affected. OS 2876 is SR 2836 and start with Cobalt's google play store here: http://forums.crackberry.com/android...ctions-985344/
    It can do all those things mentioned.

And also see here: http://forums.crackberry.com/showthread.php?t=965257

Cheers!

Q10SQN100-2/10.3.2.2876
    DreadPirateRegan likes this.
    02-18-16 01:29 PM
    Thank you for the to the point responses, so still no fix on this issue and if not maybe I should just wait on installing google play store until fixed (if) and side-load as I do not mind as in side-load known working apps from my q 10? Thanks for the quick response and link, Steve

PS: Only thing I would like is my one game to not have ads that I paid for which may require the google games .apk? ugh!
    02-18-16 01:38 PM
    If you sideload the bars as stated in posts #1 and #6 of this thread, you should have no problems with all the rest, if you follow the instructions from the other threads exactly as written.

Q10SQN100-2/10.3.2.2876
    02-18-16 02:00 PM
    Hi all,

To try and help here's what I consider the current main points for the updated android runtime (ART) "patch"; 10.3.2.371, now showing as available in Blackberry World (BBW), summed up to save those not wanting to go through all the back posts, and as at 14th February 2016 09:19 GMT.

I'm no expert, have no affiliation with Blackberry (BB), and so these are my observations only. Please feel free to correct anything;

-The 10.3.2.371 ART is an update to the 10.3.2.2836 ART which was delivered with the new version Operating System (OS) 10.3.2.2876. ART 10.3.2.2836 has the "bug" identified by member Colbalt232 and others where removing an Android application (and by "Android" that means any (Android) application that was not installed directly from BBW) removed just the home screen icon, but left the actual application and it's files still on the device, and therefore still taking up the space it filled.

-Before the 10.3.2.371 ART was released, a number of users "rolled back" the bugged 10.3.2.2836 ART by using bar files posted by the community and a tool such as Sachesi, so that their operating system remains at 10.3.2.2876, but their ART was rolled back to 10.3.2.2813. This combination OS and this ART do not suffer from the bug, and (Android) applications can be removed as normal.

-This 10.3.2.371 new ART is technically not needed if you are already running the rolled back ART 10.3.2.2813, but you will continue to get "nags" and update requests for the 10.3.2.2836 ART. If you have "auto-updates" on your device switched on, it is likely that if you rollback, your device will at some soon point overwrite the older version with the bugged newer version.

Currently, no manual installation files have been seen / posted for the new 10.3.2.371 ART.

Issues downloading the new 10.3.2.371 ART / "Network error";

-A large proportion of users are currently unable to download the patch from BBW, and simply receive a "Network error" when they try.

-The problem HAS been acknowledged by BlackBerry themselves (with thanks for member Richard Buckley for posting), and is currently "under investigation".

-No pattern as to whom can and whom cannot download it has emerged yet.

-The update works first time, or not at all; there are no current instances of someone getting the "Network error", then successfully downloading it at a later time; there have been some "workarounds" posted such as changing browser settings to turn off the "request desktop version" setting. These same fixes have been shown not to work when tried by others, but it is not clear if these remedial changes were made after attempts to download the new ART application failed. Given that they do not work for others suggests that they may well have been just a coincidence.

-The posted link to the 10.3.2.371 ART will not work when browsed to on a laptop / desktop or other non-blackberry OS-running device; it will display a "not found" or similar error.

-Searching in BBW on a BB device will often find the 10.3.2.371 ART once, but subsequent searches for it "fail" and it appears to have then "dissapeard"... however, copying the link into a browser directly on the device will bring it back up.

-For users with the "Network error", other applications download without issue from BBW.

-It does not appear to matter if you have ART 10.3.2.2813 or ART 10.3.2.2836 installed when you try to download ART 10.3.2.371. To reiterate, ART 10.3.2813 works for uninstalls, ART 10.3.2.2836 is the bugged one that doesn't. If you have rolled back to ART 10.3.2.2813 or not updated to OS 10.3.2.2876 with ART 10.3.2.2836, you can leave ART 10.3.2.2813 in place which will continue to allow you to uninstall (Android) applications, but even with "auto updates" turned off within your device, you will still get repeated update "nags" for the bugged (but newer) 2836 version @ 85MB.

-It does not matter if you try to download the new ART via mobile data or via WiFi, nor if you have the device's "Allow downloads over 50MB via mobile data" setting switched on or off; any and all attempts continue to fail at present for those affected.

-Those who have been able to update to ART 10.3.2.371 are reporting a number of applications that no longer run, and which were fine when ART 10.3.2.2813 was installed, so backing up your current installation is recommended, as is caution in updating at this point.

I am also going to cross-post this to the ART 10.3.2.2876 "analysis" thread, but could I ask that we stick to this new thread; "updated-android-runtime-blackberry10-1061868" for this continuing issue, and leave the original "2876 runtime analysis" thread for just posts relating to that ART.

Hope that helps some of you.

Regards

James
    So the art issue (until fixed) takes up emmt space but not battery life or actual ram from the supposed uninstalled app? We are talking just hard drive space wasted on apps we decide to uninstall for whatever reason from the playstore until it is fixed or am I wrong and it is worse as in it is indeed hogging up battery and worse, ram resources as in the supposed "uninstalled" but yet not uninstalled android app's on the bugged software? Also, thanks for the explanation was amazing.

-Stephen
    02-18-16 02:22 PM
    There are still threads with people eager to update to 2876. Even one where someone was proud they "downgraded" from 2876 to 2836 not realizing they are one and the same.

I find that BlackBerry still pushing this update to be reprehensible.

And on a separate note I wonder if any update in the future can be trusted? With Chen on the warpath with Apple, being proud of how he would unlock any BlackBerry for the American government, who is to say he hasn't or won't put in a blatant back door? Personally I think (by his statements) that he already has the ability to break into any BlackBerry. I don't have proof only Chen's boasting.

So what is the purpose of this malicious 2876? To get people to switch to the Priv or to abandon BlackBerry totally? I don't get it. There has to be a reason for this.

BlackBerry has officially become a hostile entity. And evil.

Z30STA100-5 / 10.3.2.2813 / T-Mobile
    02-18-16 03:12 PM
    Dear Cobalt
    Thank you so much for your help, your solution worked like a charm! I tried for days to download the official patch but never was able to actually download due to 'network error'.
    Thank you again!

Posted via CB10
    Ursus Rufus likes this.
    02-18-16 04:12 PM
    And on a separate note I wonder if any update in the future can be trusted? With Chen on the warpath with Apple, being proud of how he would unlock any BlackBerry for the American government, who is to say he hasn't or won't put in a blatant back door?
    BlackBerry has officially become a hostile entity. And evil.

Z30STA100-5 / 10.3.2.2813 / T-Mobile
    There is a huge difference between handing over a customers data when lawfully requested and Apple being asked to backdoor the OS so the authorities will never again need to ask for anything. Apple is being asked for much more than anything Chen referred to.
    02-18-16 07:35 PM
    Can somebody tell me the "official update fix's name" via blackberry world, I do not see it to even try although from reading I think I like the "little guys" run-time fix better. What is the difference? Anyway, I do not need it as of now at least as the few android apps I have on my brand new SE PP are fine - thank god (fingers crossed) so do not need to risk issues BUT if I start having issues where I think to many android apps are not uninstalled truly that should be on my device, it will be great to know so hope "the possible fix" stays around or we get the latest update soon with a fix. Maybe they need everyone on the newest update to make the next version and fix more widely compatible? Who knows, trying to stay positive...

I just always follow Cobalts lead!

Semi Off Topic: What is this universal task killer people suggest to have for bb10 and droid apps? Is it in BBW or Google-play, etc? It is called Task Killer but allot of things are called that?

PS: If cobalt goes MIA one day, then I will believe blackberry is Illuminati :P
    02-19-16 01:59 AM
    So the art issue (until fixed) takes up emmt space but not battery life or actual ram from the supposed uninstalled app? We are talking just hard drive space wasted on apps we decide to uninstall for whatever reason from the playstore until it is fixed or am I wrong and it is worse as in it is indeed hogging up battery and worse, ram resources as in the supposed "uninstalled" but yet not uninstalled android app's on the bugged software? Also, thanks for the explanation was amazing.

-Stephen
    BUMP..
    Nobody knows this quote ABOVE here?
    Seems like it makes the issue mediocre to severe depending?..
    02-19-16 02:03 AM
    BUMP..
    Nobody knows this quote ABOVE here?
    Seems like it makes the issue mediocre to severe depending?..
    Hi CatchTwentyTwo,

That's a good point about the "not-uninstalled-properly" Apps. and whether they are *still* affecting anything else by running in the background.

My own understanding of the situation is that you are correct, and in essence, the application(s) is removed, and it's running instance is stopped, as per this line in Post #1 from Colbalt22;

Analysis: PackageManager attempting to close com.blub and remove the files

I/ActivityManager(318894300): Force stopping package com.blub appid=12023 user=-1
    ..and then the process fails at the point where an attempt is made to delete the application directory and /or the files that relate to that application. That leaves the files in-situ taking up space, but as the application is not running, it's not using CPU nor RAM. I'm assuming here too that as part of the (any?) installation, there is some "log" of what is installed (much like in Windows) , and this is used to then remove everything that was installed, changed, amended etc. by the application as part of that uninstall process.

Saying that, Windows users such as myself will know just how unreliable any uninstall routine can be...

Getting back on topic, I would hope that any part of an application / installation that contained routines for "auto-start" on reboot or similar "start at boot" / "start at 9am every day" etc. processes is being removed correctly, otherwise I'm sure Colbalt22 and Co. would have caught this as part of the analysis. I don't see any evidence of anything obvious in the code snippet in post #1 along the lines of "Check and clear registry keys "run" and "runonce", to paraphrase Windows again, but that may well just have been left out for brevity.

What would be good is that if someone who has the bugged runtime installed (such as yourself?), along with at least one application they've attempted to remove, can check to see if the application is still present in the "running applications" list that you can get to view via "Device Monitor" / "CPU", especially following a reboot of the phone / device.

I know that two of my applications I have installed "BeBuzz 10 Pro" and "BlockIt" are both "persistent", in that they run automatically on restart of the phone ("headless"?), and if I had not downgraded myself, I could have tried uninstalling one of those, rebooted the phone, then checked to see if they we indeed present and still running, and therefore possibly using resources (are they "Idle", for example?).

If anyone can say for definate that the "call(s)" / "page(s)" to the uninstalled, but still present, applications are indeed removed correctly, we'd all appreciate it.. or if someone can test / check this by looking for any uninstalled, but still running applications where they are using the bugged runtime, or even installing a known persistent-after-reboot application, uninstalling it, and checking in the same way after a reboot it would be really appreciated.

Regards

James
    Last edited by JamesW_UK; 02-19-16 at 05:58 AM.
    02-19-16 02:52 AM
    Hi CatchTwentyTwo,

That's a good point about the "not-uninstalled-properly" Apps. and whether they are *still* affecting anything else by running in the background.

My own understanding of the situation is that you are correct, and in essence, the application(s) is removed, and it's running instance is stopped, as per this line in Post #1 from Colbalt22;

..and then the process fails at the point where an attempt is made to delete the application directory and /or the files that relate to that application. That leaves the files in-situ taking up space, but as the application is not running, it's not using CPU nor RAM. I'm assuming here too that as part of the (any?) installation, there is some "log" of what is installed (much like in Windows) , and this is used to then remove everything that was installed, changed, amended etc. by the application as part of that uninstall process.

Saying that, Windows users such as myself will know just how unreliable any uninstall routine can be...

Getting back on topic, I would hope that any part of an application / installation that contained routines for "auto-start" on reboot or similar "start at boot" / "start at 9am every day" etc. processes is being removed correctly, otherwise I'm sure Colbalt22 and Co. would have caught this as part of the analysis. I don't see any evidence of anything obvious in the code snippet in post #1 along the lines of "Check and clear registry keys "run" and "runonce", to paraphrase Windows again, but that may well just have been left out for brevity.

What would be good is that if someone who has the bugged runtime installed (such as yourself?), along with at least one application they've attempted to remove, can check to see if the application is still present in the "running applications" list that you can get to view via "Device Monitor" / "CPU", especially following a reboot of the phone / device.

I know that two of my applications I have installed "BeBuzz 10 Pro" and "BlockIt" are both "persistent", in that they run automatically on restart of the phone ("headless"?), and if I had not downgraded myself, I could have tried uninstalling one of those, rebooted the phone, then checked to see if they we indeed present and still running, and therefore possibly using resources (are they "Idle", for example?).

If anyone can say for definate that the "call(s)" / "page(s)" to the uninstalled, but still present, applications are indeed removed correctly, we'd all appreciate it.. or if someone can test / check this by looking for any uninstalled, but still running applications where they are using the bugged runtime, or even installing a known persistent-after-reboot application, uninstalling it, and checking in the same way after a reboot it would be really appreciated.

Regards

James
    What a CATCH 22!

Hah.

I will see what I can do, stinks bought a brand new SE and as soon as it came it auto downloaded it, I even tried to click off of it (do not know why as this was before even seeing this thread) but no go. I have just been being very careful with what I install as I am not an app junkie do not even need google play services (least do not think unless that will take the ad away for my ones paid for game then I may do it?) I basically use Voxer, banking app's and CB Radio chat - that is it mostly as well as one game that ask for google play service but if you click it - it goes away never to return until you exist and reload the game so no harm no foul on that one. I am even happy enough with Blackberry's Facebook and the way you can just add the signed in links to the home screen via the BB Browser for websites like eBay and Craigslist. Its awesome, love this passport! Spectacular, shows how optimized BB is as we see it in the PP finally running on a snapdragon 801 (as in up to date specs) and it flies. I do wonder how it trims or if it trims its system on reboots, etc or how that all even works though sometimes.

I know this may be dumb and it can not be that I am the only one that thought of it as it the passport and other bb devices effected with 'the bug" still need to use the emulated run-time BUT - What if one was to only install any and all Android apps to the external SD card? I doubt so and never even installed an .apk let alone a .bar to the SD so not sure this would even be a viable solution for now until they send out 10.3.3 with a fix - I HOPE!

Thanks for the great reply, Catch22

BTW: Something is telling me if I was going to fix it, to do it cobalts way versus the blackberry runtime in bb world if that would even work for me as did not try it, no need to yet. What do I use to see that the apps are not truly uninstalled? If I thought it was that Big of a deal I would send this back as its brand new and get another but I swore this SE Passport just not only downloaded but installed it on its own before I could stop it once I signed onto the internet, small update or downgrade rather equals to quick to stop especially when I did not even know. As for how are the android apps I am running now working, faster then on my droid!

PS: Has it ever been discovered or answered why no updated run-time, is it google that sold Blackberry the jellybean run-time way back when and now is to big and mighty to to it now a days or is there no legal guidelines and blackberry just chooses not to do it? Super curious on that one.
    02-19-16 11:07 AM

PS: Has it ever been discovered or answered why no updated run-time, is it google that sold Blackberry the jellybean run-time way back when and now is to big and mighty to to it now a days or is there no legal guidelines and blackberry just chooses not to do it? Super curious on that one.
    Android is free.

The point is that Google Play Services is not. Or, more accurately, you have to agree to terms in order to have access to them.

One of those terms is that you cannot manufacturer another device with a forked Runtime (BB10 has a forked Runtime).

So the general consensus is that the very existence of the Priv prohibits the Android Runtime from being developed on BB10. Plus Google Play Services would not be allowed either way because it's a fork.
    02-19-16 01:08 PM
    After I download and install all of this I'm getting software update (85mb) notifications all the time
    Is it any solution to turn of this notifications for software update?

Blackberry Z30 with broken screen
    (New screen arriving Monday
    02-19-16 06:47 PM
    After I download and install all of this I'm getting software update (85mb) notifications all the time
    Is it any solution to turn of this notifications for software update?

Blackberry Z30 with broken screen
    (New screen arriving Monday
    The only sure way to avoid it is to turn off automatic updates BEFORE you downgrade the Runtime.

So you may want to allow the update to happen, then turn off automatic updates, then downgrade again.
    02-19-16 09:36 PM
892 ... 2324252627 ...