View Poll Results: Would you like a choice for active frames for the phone and search apps?

Voters
15. You may not vote on this poll
  • Make active frame for both apps optional

9 60.00%
  • Make active frame for search app optional but not the phone app

4 26.67%
  • Make active frame for phone app optional but not the search app

1 6.67%
  • Don't give an option and just have active frame remain

1 6.67%
    Phone app
    Problem:
    I find the phone app's active frame useless and just an extra app I have to close. In the middle of a call, when you close the active frame, the call continues to run. This requires you to click the phone icon at the bottom left to open the app which seems to have been running in the background anyway.

Solution:
    Give the option to not have an active frame launch for the phone app, rather have it only be accessible through the icon. Or at least have the phone call end when you close the active frame for consistency.

Search app
    Problem:
    I know this isn't an issue for everyone since some go back to a search they have previously performed and make a different selection. I however use 'instant action' on my Q10 to text and call contacts. Once you're done with the task you navigated to using the search app, you're required to close the active frame after navigating back to the active frames screen every time.

Solution:
    Give the user an option of disabling active frame for searches (or 'instant action'). This situation is the worst when making a call using 'instant action' and then having to close 2 frames, one for the phone and another for the search.
    djsvet likes this.
    08-20-13 04:11 PM
    I totally agree with you.
    However, I think the Q10 better have the active frame for search as its missing the search icon on the bottom and pressing a key when search is minimized/closed will start a new search.

Posted via CB10
    08-20-13 04:18 PM
    I totally agree with you.
    However, I think the Q10 better have the active frame for search as its missing the search icon on the bottom and pressing a key when search is minimized/closed will start a new search.

Posted via CB10
    I think that should be the default but still give the user the option.
    08-20-13 06:29 PM
    Always having to close Search is annoying...
    08-20-13 07:22 PM
    I asked Michael Clewley this exact question and his answer was that it would confuse people. Not sure how or why, but apparently it will. IMHO if this confuses someone, they should probably just remain indoors.

For me if I could designate individual apps to either close complete or minimize to an active panel it would be an ENORMOUS step to allowing me to fully enjoy my z10. It's completely redundant and pushes frames you do want open, out of rotation.
    Ammario likes this.
    08-20-13 08:09 PM
    I am new to BlackBerry world but the more I hear about Michael Clewley (no research done) the more I think he is Steve Jobs wanna be - trying to tell people how to live.
    I hope we will not starting to see his philosophy in our phones.

Posted via CB10
    08-20-13 09:56 PM
    I think that should be the default but still give the user the option.
    It is functional, here is how:
    Imagine you are a dispatcher and you are responsible for 25 drivers. You save their contacts and add Driver as a last name lets say. You need to contact all drivers to warn them up - just search for "driver" and you've got the whole list. If search was closing after you called one, you would have to type again to see the next one.

Posted via CB10
    08-20-13 10:00 PM
    It is functional, here is how:
    Imagine you are a dispatcher and you are responsible for 25 drivers. You save their contacts and add Driver as a last name lets say. You need to contact all drivers to warn them up - just search for "driver" and you've got the whole list. If search was closing after you called one, you would have to type again to see the next one.

Posted via CB10
    Whaaa?

Hitting the magnifying glass at the bottom left brings you to the main search page. Why do you need the active panel? The magnifying glass is always there.
    08-20-13 10:57 PM
    I am new to BlackBerry world but the more I hear about Michael Clewley (no research done) the more I think he is Steve Jobs wanna be - trying to tell people how to live.
    I hope we will not starting to see his philosophy in our phones.

Posted via CB10
    Clewley is more reachable than any other person in competing brands of equivalent responsibility. While I don't always agree with what he says, he's never been more than an email and 15mins away, even on weekends or late at night, and I don't mean on twitter. I mean person to person email. He doesn't make all the decisions but he takes the time to explain them and will often look into problems that an individual person is having. Try that with Google or apple.
    BravoZuluDelta likes this.
    08-20-13 11:02 PM
    I asked Michael Clewley this exact question and his answer was that it would confuse people. Not sure how or why, but apparently it will. IMHO if this confuses someone, they should probably just remain indoors.

For me if I could designate individual apps to either close complete or minimize to an active panel it would be an ENORMOUS step to allowing me to fully enjoy my z10. It's completely redundant and pushes frames you do want open, out of rotation.
    May be BB should add some sort of "advanced" settings. Where we can tweak things like hiding android bar, msg and phone icons and active frame behavior.
    08-21-13 06:43 AM
    Yup, a power user toggle would be great. But then again if the options were there and just defaulted to the less "confusing" setting, that would do it do. I don't see the downside in giving users the option in each app on whether to close completely or minimize to active frame.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 4 Beta
    Ammario likes this.
    08-21-13 08:19 AM
    Whaaa?

Hitting the magnifying glass at the bottom left brings you to the main search page. Why do you need the active panel? The magnifying glass is always there.
    there is no permanent magnifying glass on the q10.
    08-21-13 08:52 AM
    Please tell me this is because as soon as you start typing on the keyboard the search feature fires up automatically like on the 9900 and other qwertys

08-21-13 09:09 AM
    Please tell me this is because as soon as you start typing on the keyboard the search feature fires up automatically like on the 9900 and other qwertys

Exactly how it works. I thought it was always running in the background at first, but there's a slight lag and sometimes the first few characters don't register. So it may be possible that it starts the search app every time you perform a search if the app is not open.
    08-21-13 09:28 AM
    I like how the Voice Control app comes up when it's needed, then disappears once you're done using it. It doesn't minimize to an active frame, because if I want to use it again, I just hit the Voice Control button again. Personally, I'd like to see this happen for Search as well. Even back in BBOS days when a universal search was done, it always kind of annoyed me that after doing a search and backing out of the app I went to, it brought me back to my search page (not just the homescreen). I understand why it did (may have selected the wrong item, or may want to do another search), but that rarely ever happened. I think, for the most part, people do a search and then are done with that search. Can't speak for the majority, but maybe this poll will show similar.
    Ammario likes this.
    08-21-13 10:07 AM
    A simple poll would be:

Would you like the ability to designate whether an app closes completely or to an active frame. Yes/no.

I cant imagine anyone not wanting the choice, especially if it was defaulted to active frame.
    08-21-13 12:06 PM
    A simple poll would be:

Would you like the ability to designate whether an app closes completely or to an active frame. Yes/no.

I cant imagine anyone not wanting the choice, especially if it was defaulted to active frame.
    I don't think you should have the option for all apps, just phone and search. The user experience will degrade if that option becomes available. Also if anyone ever wants to try out the phone from a friend they'll get frustrated with swiping up from an app and having it close rather than minimizing it to switch to another app.
    08-22-13 10:51 AM
    I don't think you should have the option for all apps, just phone and search. The user experience will degrade if that option becomes available. Also if anyone ever wants to try out the phone from a friend they'll get frustrated with swiping up from an app and having it close rather than minimizing it to switch to another app.
    And I should care about someone else using my phone why?

Since when are options bad? If you want everything to go to an active frame you touch nothing. If I want my calculator or photo album to close completely I set it to do that. See? You get the user experience you want, I get what I want and our friends can get their own phone.
    08-22-13 03:07 PM
    And I should care about someone else using my phone why?

Since when are options bad? If you want everything to go to an active frame you touch nothing. If I want my calculator or photo album to close completely I set it to do that. See? You get the user experience you want, I get what I want and our friends can get their own phone.
    It's not about you caring about someone else using your device, it's about blackberry caring what people who never considered blackberry and use your device think. Also, with almost all apps, having an active frame is helpful for multitasking which blackberry stresses. I think what you're looking for is a method (possibly a gesture) that will close the app completely without having it switch to the active frame then needing to close it from there.

I don't believe the phone app is under this category because even after closing the active frame it continues to run in the background. There is no point in the active frame if I can hit the phone icon in the middle of a call to have the app open again. Search on the other hand I don't even consider it to be an app as can be seen for example in ios. It's just always there. with instant action for Q10, the point is to speed up things and be more productive without have to constantly navigate. It is counter intuitive to add a step of closing the search in the process. Another possibly fix is have search detect when you're doing a regular search and when you're using instant action. In one it'll keep the app open, and in another it'll close after the action is preformed (but this may cause confusion for some users since the same app has 2 settings, hence giving the option).
    08-22-13 07:30 PM
    Ok so while blackberry is concerned about the user experience of someone borrowing my phone, they can ignore the crappy review I give of the active panels to the 10 other people. Again it's all about options and choices, and the choice that I want, and I only speak for me, is the option to have apps of my choice, on my phone only, close completely. And yes especially things like the phone, search, calendar, text messaging (we still have the hub), bbm, and gallery are all redundant in the context that I use them. And I think therein lies the problem. BlackBerry seems to often forget that they way people use their device, isn't always the way they designed or expected them too.

08-22-13 07:38 PM
    I kinda agree about the phone app's active frame point. However the phone app's active frame does flow with the whole BB10 flow and might break away from the whole experience for some users. The option to disable it would be great.
    I completely disagree with you regarding the search app's active frame. One thing should be noted, this might be part of those hidden gems that BB10 OS have, When you swipe up from a search the active frame provide the ability to go back and adjust your previous search or quick action which is wonderful and if you don't want to go back to your previous search or quick action simply tap the search icon again and you enter into a new search or a new quick action screen. I belive that is a much better solution than closing the entire search app's active frame. Try it and you will see that it flows better and makes sense. For example; let's say I am searching for halween shop and I typed in halween shop and clicked on the map app on my search screen and then I decided to adjust my search to halween ideas. I can click on my active frame and adjust my search. Now let's say I wanted to text john so I can click on the search app instead of the active frame to start a new search or a quick action criteria. So I think the active frame serve as a good thing

Posted via CB10
    08-23-13 09:37 AM
    I kinda agree about the phone app's active frame point. However the phone app's active frame does flow with the whole BB10 flow and might break away from the whole experience for some users. The option to disable it would be great.
    I completely disagree with you regarding the search app active frame. One thing should be noted and this might be part of those hidden gems that BB10 OS have. When you swipe up from a search the active frame provide the ability to go back and adjust your previous search or quick action which is wonderful and if you don't want to go back to your previous search or quick action simply tap the search icon again and you enter into a new search or a new quick action screen. I belive that is a much better solution than closing the entire search app's active frame. Try it and you will see that it flows better and makes sense. For example; let's say I am searching for halween shop and I typed in halween shop and clicked on the map app on my search screen and then I decided to adjust my search to halween ideas. I can click on my active frame and adjust my search. Now let's say I wanted to text john so I can click on the search app instead of the active frame to start a new search or a quick action criteria. So I honk the active frame serve as a good thing

Posted via CB10
    I understand what you're saying, but because that situation (adjusting a search) comes up extremely rarely (for myself and many other I believe) more frequently than not I'm adding a step. Assuming I need to adjust a search once every 2 days (I honestly need to adjust a search less frequently than that), I use instant action several dozen times a day, and each time I add the extra step of having to close the search active frame. That one time every 2 days, needing to adjust the search, does not save me enough time to validate an extra step several dozen times a day.

Several solutions to get the best of both worlds is to have previous searches/instant action commands listed in the search app. Another solution I mentioned in an earlier post is having the search app determine if an instant action or a search war performed, and then having the app close or minimize to an active frame depending on which it is.

Ok so while blackberry is concerned about the user experience of someone borrowing my phone, they can ignore the crappy review I give of the active panels to the 10 other people. Again it's all about options and choices, and the choice that I want, and I only speak for me, is the option to have apps of my choice, on my phone only, close completely. And yes especially things like the phone, search, calendar, text messaging (we still have the hub), bbm, and gallery are all redundant in the context that I use them. And I think therein lies the problem. BlackBerry seems to often forget that they way people use their device, isn't always the way they designed or expected them too.

You are making many assumptions here that are not valid. BB10 is less than a year old and with the changes in 10.1 and what we've seen so far in 10.2, Blackberry is doing exactly what you claim they are not. Blackberry is paying attention to the way people use their device and are making changes accordingly at a rate faster than any previous mobile OS has.

If you are that displeased with active frames to go out of your way to 10 people an complain about it I have the sense that you'll find something else to complain about to the 10 people regarding the phone otherwise. In that case you might as well switch mobile platforms. Again I think that fix that you're looking for that I would love to have as well, is a gesture (For all apps) that closes the app completely rather than minimizing it to an active frame.
    08-23-13 09:53 AM
    Do you know what an option is?

08-23-13 10:00 AM
    Do you know what an option is?

op�tion [op-shuhn] Show IPA
    noun
    the power or right of choosing.
    something that may be or is chosen; choice.

Option | Define Option at Dictionary.com

You have yet to comment about potential solutions mentioned such as closing the app with single gesture which gives you the "option" to either minimize an app to an active frame or close it. Passive aggressive comments do not help your case and weaken your points when you are ignoring replies.
    08-23-13 10:29 AM
    I don't think you have read my post entirely unless things are different in the Q10 compared to the Z10. To start a new search or a quick action all I have to do is touch or click on the search icon instead of touching or clicking on the search active frame. Therefore, if I want a new search or quick action I can do it with out closing the search active frame incase you want to adjust your search which actually do a lot and that is why I appreciate the active frame. However, I do agree on keeping the previous search or searches in a list BUT only if I do a new search incase I needed to.

Posted via CB10
    08-23-13 10:34 AM
29 12