I was playing with my old playbook that I haven't touched in a year.

The features that it has (limited) seem to be more polished then BB10 to me at least. (running 10.2.1.1925)

1. When you open an app and minimize it on the Playbook you can see the app load when it is minimized. Why doesn't BB10 do this?
    2. it has iOS7 active frame (yes, I know it came before iOS7). I do like the boxy active frames and I can see 4 frames instead of 1 because of my small Q10 screen.
    It would be hard to to do a UI change on the boxes I understand so I'm not going to say anything about that.
    Flick to exit though, where did that go?? Instead iOS7 has it and now we don't.
    3. I do like the swipe down but on the Playbook all the icon are fully interactive. I can hit the time/date and the calendar pops down, wifi and the wifi pops down. I hit the battery and from there i can adjust the screen brightness.
    Why can't we have both like the playbook has?
    4. clock interface looks much more nicer but I understand it might look a bit weird on my Q10. Just like i said on number 1. If i set a timer and minimize it. It keeps going but not on BB10.
    5. browser is a lot more fun to use on the playbook then BB10. When you swipe down everything is in the same spot unlike BB10 where its all over the place -> options on the right, tabs/bookmarks on the left. This is a phone to a tablet so I can see that they have to separate it off but to be the visual presentation just look better on the PB
    6. No ugly boxes around the icons
    7. the iconic Blackberry bottom bar for quick icons.
    That would be cool if we had an active bottom bar like with the temperature.
    I guess the Hub takes away from this but we should have some active tiles. Maybe if you scroll down from the home screen and look at your "pinned" active frames/tiles. Then take it 1 step further like jolla has and make the tiles/active frames fully interactive, if the dev decides to do that.

What I'm trying to get at is all the core apps (minus the calculator) look more polished and newer then BB10 which is now 2 (creeping up to 3) years after the playbook launch. PB UI just looks much cleaner then BB10. (I know the playbook is lacking features but it's been cut off and it's almost 3 years old) To this day the Playbook's UI is looking better then BB10.
    scrapmetal58 likes this.
    01-11-14 11:08 PM
    Politics and money.

Posted from Z10@10.2.1.1259#ATT via CB10
    01-11-14 11:31 PM
    I love the PlayBook UI. Some things would be difficult to do on a phone due to reduced screen size. I wish they kept the lower left diagonal swipe for the keyboard (instead of the two finger swipe up version bow), the actually active frames, the diagonal swipe down from either top corner to get the device settings menu (or quick settings for BlackBerry 10), the ability to swipe between open apps, plus a few other things.

The flick up to close an app is great, but would be difficult to implement on BlackBerry 10 due to the open app screen layout.

Posted via CB10
    01-11-14 11:33 PM
    IMHO, PlayBook was a trial for BB10. Some of the features made it, others didn't. I like the ability to 'flick' apps into the ether like WebOS apps but still like BB10 as well. Both PB and Z10 get daily use.
    01-11-14 11:38 PM
    The one thing I miss is the glow when messages come in. I wish bb10 had it in bottom middle hinting you to peek.

Posted via CB10
    01-12-14 12:22 AM
    I like the ability to anchor the important apps that I want. Unlike bb10 where it is always the phone, search and camera.
    01-12-14 02:48 AM
    I can do my PM's on my CB10 app on my Playbook but not on my Z10!

Trusted Member Genius
    01-12-14 02:52 AM
    I love the PlayBook UI. Some things would be difficult to do on a phone due to reduced screen size. I wish they kept the lower left diagonal swipe for the keyboard (instead of the two finger swipe up version bow), the actually active frames, the diagonal swipe down from either top corner to get the device settings menu (or quick settings for BlackBerry 10), the ability to swipe between open apps, plus a few other things.

The flick up to close an app is great, but would be difficult to implement on BlackBerry 10 due to the open app screen layout.

Posted via CB10
    I agree, swiping through open apps and flicking to close apps are the 2 things I miss the most. Both can be implemented on BlackBerry 10 in my opinion. Flicking to close should only work as part of the swipe gesture used to minimise an app.
    01-12-14 03:25 AM
    I can do my PM's on my CB10 app on my Playbook but not on my Z10!

Trusted Member Genius
    ... well that isn't specifically because of bb10... that's because of the app maker... and I disagree with the OP BB10 is more polished at this point in every way. What you are complaining about is really just personal taste.

Z10STL100-3/10.2.1.1925
    01-12-14 03:42 AM
    Some comments on your observations:

I do like the boxy active frames and I can see 4 frames instead of 1 because of my small Q10 screen.
    [...]
    Flick to exit though, where did that go?? Instead iOS7 has it and now we don't.
    "Flick to exit" makes sense on a large active frame, displayed in a horizontal list.

If you have small active frames displayed in a vertical list, the "swipe up" gesture is for list scrolling and cannot be allocated to app closure. The "lateral swipe" gestures are also allocated for navigating the OS (Hub access for "right swipe", App Drawer for "left swipe") and cannot be allocated to app closure.

I do like the swipe down but on the Playbook all the icon are fully interactive. I can hit the time/date and the calendar pops down, wifi and the wifi pops down. I hit the battery and from there i can adjust the screen brightness. Why can't we have both like the playbook has?
    Harder to do that on the small icons on a phone - accidental taps on the wrong icon would make for an annoying feature. That's why a drop down menu (or similar) that provides access to these kind of settings is provided in most mobile OSs.

Browser is a lot more fun to use on the playbook then BB10. When you swipe down everything is in the same spot unlike BB10 where its all over the place -> options on the right, tabs/bookmarks on the left. This is a phone to a tablet so I can see that they have to separate it off but to be the visual presentation just look better on the PB
    The option menu on the browser (and on other apps, too) has so many items that not all of them could be visible on the screen at the same time. In my opinion, having tabs/bookmarks on the left makes it easier to navigate the menus, once you get used to it.

--------------------

Pic Tagger for BB10 and PlayBook
    01-12-14 03:46 AM
    Some comments on your observations:

"Flick to exit" makes sense on a large active frame, displayed in a horizontal list.

If you have small active frames displayed in a vertical list, the "swipe up" gesture is for list scrolling and cannot be allocated to app closure. The "lateral swipe" gestures are also allocated for navigating the OS (Hub access for "right swipe", App Drawer for "left swipe") and cannot be allocated to app closure.

Harder to do that on the small icons on a phone - accidental taps on the wrong icon would make for an annoying feature. That's why a drop down menu (or similar) that provides access to these kind of settings is provided in most mobile OSs.

The option menu on the browser (and on other apps, too) has so many items that not all of them could be visible on the screen at the same time. In my opinion, having tabs/bookmarks on the left makes it easier to navigate the menus, once you get used to it.

--------------------

Pic Tagger for BB10 and PlayBook
    That's no excuse not to be able to hit the date and the calendar pops downs. Especially for people making appointments it would be much faster and convenient.

They can also group all the wifi, reception, bluetooth etc in the right, battery and alarm of the left. Then we have have a pull menu of anything else so we really don't need to go into the phone. It would all be there.

Plus, the boxy drop down menu is ugly as hell and no where near to be as polished as the Playbook.

Flick to exit would be easy if you start in the middle of the active frame. If you do it now it moves the active frame anyways.

Posted via CB10
    01-12-14 08:52 AM
    Visual appeal makes it's way to consumers and etc. That's all. Playbook has a lot of visual appeal.

But on the other side of the spectrum the Playbook doesn't have a lot of features and everyone knows it's a dead project. If they kept updating it just like the first iPhone was, maybe it could have been popular. But I don't want to get into that discussion so don't answer this last paragraph. :P

Posted via CB10
    01-12-14 08:59 AM