What exactly is bis

Posted via CB10 for Z10
    01-22-14 04:59 PM
    What exactly is bis

Posted via CB10 for Z10
    I bet this question would be asked by most of the BlackBerry users around the world ... the ones that don't hang out on a tech site.
    01-22-14 05:02 PM
    I bet this question would be asked by most of the BlackBerry users around the world ... the ones that don't hang out on a tech site.
    Most BlackBerry users around the world are BBOS users, who I'm sure know what BIS is because unlike the US, most worldwide carriers charged extra for BIS.

Posted via CB10 on 10.2.1.1898
    01-22-14 05:20 PM
    Or you know, someone could just answer my question.. isn't it just data compression?

Posted via CB10 for Z10
    01-22-14 07:44 PM
    Or you know, someone could just answer my question.. isn't it just data compression?

Posted via CB10 for Z10
    Not really the right thread to ask something this...... Do a simple Google search..........

01-22-14 08:04 PM
    Yes, I would pay more a month to have BIS back for emails and get the functionality back. After upgrading to 10.2 that is really the only legacy feature I truly miss.
    Totally agree. I would pay $5 per month directly to BB to get BIS back in a heartbeat.
    01-22-14 08:31 PM
    Would you still need a separate data plan, or would BIS be all you need?
    Totally agree. I would pay $5 per month directly to BB to get BIS back in a heartbeat.
    01-22-14 08:35 PM
    I'd think so. Like how I used to pay extra for BES on top of my data plan

01-22-14 08:54 PM
    Yes.
    01-22-14 08:57 PM
    I have always thought that BIS was dropped so as not to compete with carrier data plans (at least in the US). But I guess if you can run data and BIS simultaneously that would not make sense.
    01-22-14 09:01 PM
    BIS was dropped because data plan costs were no longer a real issue. Back in the day, a 100mb was expensive so data compression was a key selling feature. For other markets where data costs are significant ie India where vast majority of users still buy minutes daily, weekly.. then BIS could be a significant money saver.

It was dropped because most users didn`t know what it was, and carriers hated giving the $5 to blackberry every month for every user. Couple that with the inexpensive data packages vs. size today and BB was in a tough spot. I wish they had continued to offer it though as an option onto packages so carriers could no longer make an issue of passing on the buck.

With BIS. You could travel worldwide and PIN (alternate to txt which costs a lot when roaming internationally), BBM blackberry to blackberry users for Free. No data charges. ie Anything over the BB network was data cost free
    With BIS. INSTANT email ie Reatlime PUSH - no pulling from email servers every 15mins etc.
    With BIS. Anti-spam filtering that I feeel was better then was ISP provide.
    With BIS. You could travel worldwide and get Pushed Email FREE.. no data charge unless email is opened. So you can see what emails you have and make a decision which to open and get charged roaming fees. Even then, at a reduced rate due to BIS compression of data (ie typically a quarter the size). So even now, that saves a business user or person who travels a lot internationally a lot of money.

Only limit was file size limit I think was like 7mb.. or something like that.

And other features...
    Q10Bold likes this.
    01-22-14 09:29 PM
    BIS can basically run on top of any data plan, I even managed to get my carrier to add it at no extra cost to my 4G data plan. Must've found a nice CS guy.
    01-23-14 02:26 AM
    I've been saying this forever. Give us the option, I'd gladly pay for it.
    Wayne_Enterprises likes this.
    01-23-14 02:38 AM
    BIS can basically run on top of any data plan, I even managed to get my carrier to add it at no extra cost to my 4G data plan. Must've found a nice CS guy.
    Okay so 1 glaring problem here: no BlackBerry device that has BIS has 4G capabilities.

01-23-14 02:39 AM
    Okay so 1 glaring problem here: no BlackBerry device that has BIS has 4G capabilities.

That's because they're 3 years old now, there's no reason why they shouldn't. Besides, Vodafone UK forced me on a 4G data plan (read more expensive) with my Q10 upgrade even though there's no 4G here yet.

BIS can run in parallel to the carrier data network so I don't see why that should be a problem.
    01-23-14 03:32 AM
    That's because they're 3 years old now, there's no reason why they shouldn't. Besides, Vodafone UK forced me on a 4G data plan (read more expensive) with my Q10 upgrade even though there's no 4G here yet.

BIS can run in parallel to the carrier data network so I don't see why that should be a problem.
    So you're saying you have BIS on your Q10 plan?

01-23-14 08:46 AM

I just managed to add it on yes, first I was told I can't have it but rang again and a nice CS guy put it on for me. Put the sim on an old 8800 to test it and it worked, it immediately registered to the network.
    01-23-14 09:02 AM
    With BIS. INSTANT email ie Reatlime PUSH - no pulling from email servers every 15mins etc.
    Not true for regular POP3 or IMAP accounts.

BIS most definitely polled every 15 minutes. But, it polled from the BIS servers and only pushed to your phone anything it found. It would also poll sooner if there was something to send - 3-5 minutes. If something was there, it would send that and check in another 3-5 minutes. If nothing was there, then it would drop back to the 15 minute polling cycle.

Only certain email account types got what BlackBerry calls "near real-time". This inludes Gmail, Yahoo, Windows Live/Hotmail/MSN, GoDaddy and Hostopia. However, the Microsoft accounts using MSP (Mobile Services Protocol), and were near real-time is changing in the spring of this year. They are being switched over to IMAP for the mail and EAS for calendar syncing. There's even a BlackBerry knowledge base article about how such accounts will revert to "polling delivery" for email. Of course, since BIS can't do EAS, calendar syncing will be gone.

So, for those claiming that BIS is real-time push, please realize that was only for certain account types. It was never the case for regular ISP based POP3 or IMAP accounts. Also, the same if you connected to a work exchange account through OWA (Outlook Web Access), like I had to on my previous 9800 and 8100. Polling applied to that as well.

Posted via CB10
    01-23-14 09:13 AM
    Not true for regular POP3 or IMAP accounts.

BIS most definitely polled every 15 minutes. But, it polled from the BIS servers and only pushed to your phone anything it found. It would also poll sooner if there was something to send - 3-5 minutes. If something was there, it would send that and check in another 3-5 minutes. If nothing was there, then it would drop back to the 15 minute polling cycle.

Only certain email account types got what BlackBerry calls "near real-time". This inludes Gmail, Yahoo, Windows Live/Hotmail/MSN, GoDaddy and Hostopia. However, the Microsoft accounts using MSP (Mobile Services Protocol), and were near real-time is changing in the spring of this year. They are being switched over to IMAP for the mail and EAS for calendar syncing. There's even a BlackBerry knowledge base article about how such accounts will revert to "polling delivery" for email. Of course, since BIS can't do EAS, calendar syncing will be gone.

So, for those claiming that BIS is real-time push, please realize that was only for certain account types. It was never the case for regular ISP based POP3 or IMAP accounts. Also, the same if you connected to a work exchange account through OWA (Outlook Web Access), like I had to on my previous 9800 and 8100. Polling applied to that as well.

Posted via CB10
    Here's that thing, most email providers now give imap idle included in hosting package (exchange is extra) and imap idle was absolutely instant push on BIS, been using it since 2008 and I timed it many times. In 7 seconds from pressing send it would be delivered to my Legacy BB.

It's these smaller businesses that can't afford BES and/or Microsoft exchange that really loved BIS and really miss it in BB10, myself included.
    01-23-14 09:19 AM
    Here's that thing, most email providers now give imap idle included in hosting package (exchange is extra) and imap idle was absolutely instant push on BIS, been using it since 2008 and I timed it many times. In 7 seconds from pressing send it would be delivered to my Legacy BB.

It's these smaller businesses that can't afford BES and/or Microsoft exchange that really loved BIS and really miss it in BB10, myself included.
    I wish my ISP did IMAP idle. I only found out a few months ago that they had an option to even do IMAP (the last time I checked was about 2 years ago, and they still didn't have it then). So, I changed my home email on my Z10 to IMAP and enabled push. But it doesn't. I have to force a refresh to get something sooner than the sync interval.

Posted via CB10
    01-23-14 09:44 AM
    I wish my ISP did IMAP idle. I only found out a few months ago that they had an option to even do IMAP (the last time I checked was about 2 years ago, and they still didn't have it then). So, I changed my home email on my Z10 to IMAP and enabled push. But it doesn't. I have to force a refresh to get something sooner than the sync interval.

Posted via CB10
    I wonder how BIS handled simple IMAP vs POP3 vs IMAP Idle, I have a feeling that was instant push too.
    01-23-14 09:52 AM

I've seen others post around here about having BIS on their plan. But no BB10 phone can use it for email.

For the first few months I had my Z10, I tried to log on to the BIS portal on my PC, and got a message about how my phone changed to one not compatible with the BIS. Now, if I try to log in, I get the standard IE pop up about invalid username and password.

Of course, there is that new message in the portal page about how "BlackBerry 10 and BlackBerry PlayBook tablet email setup are not supported from this website. "

Posted via CB10
    01-23-14 09:56 AM
    I've seen others post around here about having BIS on their plan. But no BB10 phone can use it for email.

For the first few months I had my Z10, I tried to log on to the BIS portal on my PC, and got a message about how my phone changed to one not compatible with the BIS. Now, if I try to log in, I get the standard IE pop up about invalid username and password.

Of course, there is that new message in the portal page about how "BlackBerry 10 and BlackBerry PlayBook tablet email setup are not supported from this website. "

Posted via CB10
    BIS can be added to any data plan for any platform, it's a simple add on. Of course it will not work unless you put your sim in a legacy BB.
    01-23-14 09:58 AM
    BIS can be added to any data plan for any platform, it's a simple add on. Of course it will not work unless you put your sim in a legacy BB.
    And BB10 sims won't work in legacy devices...
    01-23-14 10:05 AM
    I wonder how BIS handled simple IMAP vs POP3 vs IMAP Idle, I have a feeling that was instant push too.
    Not according to BlackBerry's own knowledge base documentation about it.

But, I'm not able to check simple IMAP on BIS now.

If I was brave, I guess I could try to position my micro SIM into the standard SIM slot in my 9800 and fire it up, re-setup my BIS account, and check... but, I suppose I'm not that brave - or that curious, really.

Posted via CB10
    01-23-14 10:06 AM
60 123