I agree with the original post that it would be an excellent way to continue BB10 if BlackBerry made it open source. It could be the new Linux for mobile.
    Did you read ANY of the posts in the thread that talked about why BB would NOT DO THIS?

Not to mention that there are already other independent alternative mobile OS's out there (Sailfish, for example) that are really just not doing much of anything.
    DrBoomBotz likes this.
    03-27-18 09:00 AM
    I agree with the original post that it would be an excellent way to continue BB10 if BlackBerry made it open source. It could be the new Linux for mobile.
    There are plenty of modern smartphone OS's that are open source that aren't the new Linux.
    03-27-18 10:05 AM
    There are plenty of modern smartphone OS's that are open source that aren't the new Linux.
    Including Linux.
    Invictus0 likes this.
    03-27-18 10:56 AM
    Did you read ANY of the posts in the thread that talked about why BB would NOT DO THIS?

Not to mention that there are already other independent alternative mobile OS's out there (Sailfish, for example) that are really just not doing much of anything.
    Reading and Searching before responding???!!!

That's just Crazy Talk!!!

Posted via CB10 / AT&T /Z10 STL100-3 /10.3.3.3057
    DrBoomBotz likes this.
    03-27-18 02:50 PM
    Reading and Searching before responding???!!!

That's just Crazy Talk!!!

Posted via CB10 / AT&T /Z10 STL100-3 /10.3.3.3057
    Well, I'm a bit of an optimist ...
    I was a bit snarky, too ...

Ah, well.
    03-27-18 03:45 PM
    FRANCE PROPOSES SOFTWARE SECURITY LIABILITY FOR MANUFACTURERS, OPEN SOURCE AS SUPPORT ENDS

https://hackaday.com/2018/02/22/fran...-support-ends/

Can this be the answer to all BB10 users dream if it becomes adopted in North America?
    Okay now everybody, assuming France steams ahead, how crazy was that $50/yr per device OS support charge outside of 2year window sound now? as a means of prolonging revenue on the bb10 and possibly older devices? Thereby skirting the requirement to open source, because it technically wouldn't be EOL anymore?
    Would that model Kill BlackBerry as a software company? or enhance it? (ie $50 per bb10 device range too small a number?). Knowing full well there is some kind of revenue coming from licensing the android devices. Yet still bb10 is differentiated enough from ios and android, to still be desirable to some. The "extended-warranty-life "support issue would require an in-app software upgrade purchase option of course.
    03-30-18 04:18 AM
    Doubtful open-source would be required of the likes of bb10 which isn't open-sourced at all, but perhaps the ability to allow 3rd parties to continue developing apps might be, and or opening up some of the bb10 built-in apps in some manner, without necessariy affecting the QNX base code whatsoever.
    Google would likely face the open-source issue with Android, rather than Blackberrry with closed source bb10, Blackberry would just be required to allow some possibly open-source 3rd party tools access to continue to develop on top of the closed-source platform, and continue to provide the documentation support, would be my guess.
    03-30-18 04:23 AM
    Doubtful open-source would be required of the likes of bb10 which isn't open-sourced at all, but perhaps the ability to allow 3rd parties to continue developing apps might be, and or opening up some of the bb10 built-in apps in some manner, without necessariy affecting the QNX base code whatsoever.
    Google would likely face the open-source issue with Android, rather than Blackberrry with closed source bb10, Blackberry would just be required to allow some possibly open-source 3rd party tools access to continue to develop on top of the closed-source platform, and continue to provide the documentation support, would be my guess.
    03-30-18 04:24 AM
33 12