If we get open source operating system of BlackBerry 10, we can get higher android runtime but that's not important as we can get root access to our devices.

Why is root access so important?

First of all, we can change init file, which can change our device to something else.
    For example, on our android runtime, our devices are marked as they are, q10 is q10, z30 is z30, etc.
    With root access, we can change our device id, from Z30 to let say Samsung Note 1. Why is that important? Cause we can import custom based runtime, in android world it called custom rom on 6.0, or even nugat, if that virtual device is supported by custom rom, cyanogenmod especially.

Again, it's not that important what android runtime running on our devices but our device id. If our blackberry can run android applications as different pseudonym, for xmpl Samsung note 1, we can get viber and whatsapp still supported, without any limitations!
    80% of people that use BlackBerry devices doesn't know that BlackBerry 10 os running separately from android on our devices, that means we can get as much ram memory and cpu access after 10 Os take it for his usage.
    So, after we can get open source, we can delete BlackBerry apps we dont use, and make room for android runtime, more ram and more cpu.

Conclusion is: open source for BlackBerry devices, we can get all working android apps no matter which api they are on, cause we can pump it whatever we want in to it.

This is not just my dream or wish or something like that, I've made a 50+ custom android roms on over 30 android devices, hell, I run android 5.1.1 that iv made on my motorola xt910, and it works perfectly fine. All I need is open source, access to BlackBerry 10 OS without limitation, and I can put 5.1 android runtime into it at least. That means, Messenger, fb, viber, whatsapp, and all other without patching, to work perfectly fine. Even google play services.

I know there is a few members out here that how stocks or that some kind of connection in BlackBerry company, you can influence on making this os open source, cause no one developing it!

So pls, make it come true, just open source, root access and nothing else, I can get you at least lollipop on your 10 os. I promise.

This is not a joke or spamming to get this os making alive again.

Posted via CB10
    11-10-16 04:31 AM
    This has been discussed several times.. Open source bb10 won't happen , it would defeat security purposes of the os
    stlabrat and zephyr613 like this.
    11-10-16 04:47 AM
    This has been discussed several times.. Open source bb10 won't happen , it would defeat security purposes of the os
    About security...one guy enter my service shop, given me a BlackBerry Priv and said, exact words: Root me this device, I'll pay what ever you want.

So, with all my self-confidence, as I root over 500.000 devices, I said: Done!

Five days has passed, still no success. I've tried everything, I even entered the root of device, but can't get to open it.

That's a 100% security, that's a 100% secured device. And that is the only problem.

I can even get Privs android runtime to run on Passport for example, but with that kind of security, I can't do squat. It's just too perfect.

Posted via CB10
    11-10-16 05:13 AM
    What is the point of having a secure device if you could root it. Will never happen. Why would BlackBerry want that?

Posted via CB10
    11-10-16 09:50 AM
    That's a 100% security, that's a 100% secured device. And that is the only problem.
    That's not a problem for BlackBerry, that's their strategy; their niche is secure devices for enterprises, such that the end-user isn't going around rooting their phone and compromising the security chain. The Priv/DTEKs/BB10 phones aren't for tinkerers.
    Event4izon and zephyr613 like this.
    11-10-16 09:53 AM
    It can't get any worse, the os is dead so they might as well make it open source...I hate the UI on android, it's terrible and slow

Posted via CB10
    11-10-16 11:53 AM
    About security...one guy enter my service shop, given me a BlackBerry Priv and said, exact words: Root me this device, I'll pay what ever you want.

So, with all my self-confidence, as I root over 500.000 devices, I said: Done!

Five days has passed, still no success. I've tried everything, I even entered the root of device, but can't get to open it.

I can even get Privs android runtime to run on Passport for example, but with that kind of security, I can't do squat. It's just too perfect.

Posted via CB10
    How can you make the Privs android runtime to run on Passport?
    I'm interested in this, send me a pm if you have info.

Posted via CB10
    11-10-16 12:02 PM
    It can't get any worse, the os is dead so they might as well make it open source...I hate the UI on android, it's terrible and slow

Posted via CB10
    Let's assume the OS becomes open source, my guess is you will still want it to look like an android or act like one. Why go through that process. Just get a Priv or Dtek.
    11-10-16 12:09 PM
    Let's assume the OS becomes open source, my guess is you will still want it to look like an android or act like one. Why go through that process. Just get a Priv or Dtek.
    No, its about using android apps, nothing else

Posted via CB10
    11-10-16 12:58 PM
    That's not a problem for BlackBerry, that's their strategy; their niche is secure devices for enterprises, such that the end-user isn't going around rooting their phone and compromising the security chain. The Priv/DTEKs/BB10 phones aren't for tinkerers.
    Don't overturn my words, im not talking that security is problem for us, but for getting android runtime. Apps, apps, apps, its all that all of this people wants.

Posted via CB10
    11-10-16 01:00 PM
    You couldn't open-source BB10 without also open-sourcing QNX, and since QNX is the basis of BB's primary successes (mostly car-based licenses, but some other critical systems, and also new products such as BB Radar), BB would never risk their successes and remaining revenues in order to give away BB10. You might just as well expect Apple to start a program to give away an iPhone to every human on the planet every 2 years, just because.
    11-10-16 01:09 PM
    How can you make the Privs android runtime to run on Passport?
    I'm interested in this, send me a pm if you have info.

Posted via CB10
    It's not Privs, it's google android runtime based on 6.0 or other. Just install any root explorer on your BlackBerry device, and find android folder (not Misc in file manager) but the root system. You will see all of the files of stock Android 0pen Source Project, that means pure android with basics system apps, nothing else. And that system folder is all that matters and if we can just (simply said) change current one with higher version, that's it, we have updated android support.

So, I DONT WANT TO RUN ANDROID ON MY BlackBerry 10 DEVICE, but to be able to run newest android apps like whatsapp or viber or messenger without limitation or to get old version installed. But I know that BlackBerry paid a shait load of money to google to get that 4.3 android runtime, and only way to get full open source BlackBerry 10 with root access is to become legacy device.

One last thing : only Passport and maybe Z30 can run 4.4, 5.1 or 6.0 at normal level, without lags or force closes. Dual core is too weak for those versions.

Posted via CB10
    11-10-16 01:09 PM
    No, its about using android apps, nothing else

Posted via CB10
    It still sounds the same to me.
    vegaBB likes this.
    11-10-16 01:13 PM
    You couldn't open-source BB10 without also open-sourcing QNX, and since QNX is the basis of BB's primary successes (mostly car-based licenses, but some other critical systems, and also new products such as BB Radar), BB would never risk their successes and remaining revenues in order to give away BB10. You might just as well expect Apple to start a program to give away an iPhone to every human on the planet every 2 years, just because.
    I know what you mean, but we don't need Qnx source, just read and write of android root filesystem. Cause that folder is Read only. If we can get to make it Read and Write and all files in that folder, we're in business . Let them lock access to BlackBerry 10 Os, we just need root access with rw protection unlocked

Posted via CB10
    11-10-16 01:14 PM
    I know what you mean, but we don't need Qnx source, just read and write of android root filesystem. Cause that folder is Read only. If we can get to make it Read and Write and all files in that folder, we're in business . Let them lock access to BlackBerry 10 Os, we just need root access with rw protection unlocked

Posted via CB10
    There is a lot more involved in the Android Runtime than dropping in some files. It's a huge developmental undertaking.
    11-10-16 01:24 PM
    It's not Privs, it's google android runtime based on 6.0 or other. Just install any root explorer on your BlackBerry device, and find android folder (not Misc in file manager) but the root system. You will see all of the files of stock Android 0pen Source Project, that means pure android with basics system apps, nothing else. And that system folder is all that matters and if we can just (simply said) change current one with higher version, that's it, we have updated android support.

So, I DONT WANT TO RUN ANDROID ON MY BlackBerry 10 DEVICE, but to be able to run newest android apps like whatsapp or viber or messenger without limitation or to get old version installed. But I know that BlackBerry paid a shait load of money to google to get that 4.3 android runtime, and only way to get full open source BlackBerry 10 with root access is to become legacy device.

One last thing : only Passport and maybe Z30 can run 4.4, 5.1 or 6.0 at normal level, without lags or force closes. Dual core is too weak for those versions.

Posted via CB10
    Do you have a link for those android runtime files I can put on my Passport?

Posted via CB10
    11-10-16 02:37 PM
    Do you have a link for those android runtime files I can put on my Passport?

Posted via CB10
    You can't put anything cause is protected. Read what I wrote.

Posted via CB10
    11-10-16 05:39 PM
    There is a lot more involved in the Android Runtime than dropping in some files. It's a huge developmental undertaking.
    Development undertaking? You do realise that android runtime is emulation of android on BlackBerry device?

Let me put this way....

You using Windows 10. But, you are developer of android apps, and you know that best os for that is Ubuntu. But you don't want to your main os on your 500 dolar Pc or laptop be Ubuntu. What do you do? You make dual boot of primary os as Windows and secondary Ubuntu. Thats how android runtime on BlackBerry works, phone, contacts, browser, camera, all basics stuff work as primary os, and only usage of android on BlackBerry is when you install and use android app.

And how BlackBerry 10 os recognise that you use android app? Simply by launching it!
    Try latest Viber app. Is it working? No, because api is different from the one In android runtime on BlackBerry. That's it! Nothing else!

Posted via CB10
    11-10-16 05:47 PM
    You can't put anything cause is protected. Read what I wrote.

Posted via CB10
    I thought you said it was simple?

Posted via CB10
    11-10-16 06:32 PM
    Regardless of any other consideration, BB10 won't be open soured, or made root able for tinkering as long as there are government and other high security customers still using it.

LeapSTR100-2/10.3.2.2876
    Troy Tiscareno and FF22 like this.
    11-10-16 07:32 PM
    Development undertaking? You do realise that android runtime is emulation of android on BlackBerry device?

Try latest Viber app. Is it working? No, because api is different from the one In android runtime on BlackBerry. That's it! Nothing else!

Posted via CB10
    Ok chief.
    Flatman and Elephant_Canyon like this.
    11-10-16 08:05 PM
    The primary impediment is that they stuck stubs into the play store routines that are non-functional and you can't remove it or replace them since you can't get write access to that part of the filesystem. Thus anything that needs services either won't work or has to be patched around those calls.

BlackBerry does one thing very well -- security. I've tried to root the Priv in earnest as well, and have failed. There aren't many devices I can't break into but the Priv is one of them, and my Z10 and Passport are two more.....
    Menage likes this.
    11-10-16 11:31 PM
    Regardless of any other consideration, BB10 won't be open soured, or made root able for tinkering as long as there are government and other high security customers still using it.

LeapSTR100-2/10.3.2.2876
    That is it - plain and simple. They, BB, are not going to jeopardize all of the devices that do run the OS. It is NOT going to happen. There is no argument in its favor that overcomes the underlying security of 100's, 1000's of devices. It is not being negative to accept this fact - it is facing reality.

Obviously, for purposes of speculation, it can be a fun mind game but that is all it will be.
    Troy Tiscareno likes this.
    11-11-16 12:39 AM

LeapSTR100-2/10.3.2.2876
    But the same governments still use desktop OSs (Windows, MacOS or Linux) and you can get root access on them, but it's protected by password or by some other security software enabled by an admin. Why can't smartphones use the same security model?
    11-11-16 04:54 AM
    But the same governments still use desktop OSs (Windows, MacOS or Linux) and you can get root access on them, but it's protected by password or by some other security software enabled by an admin. Why can't smartphones use the same security model?
    And the government desktop computers stay behind firewalls. Most users can't get root or admin access to them, that is all controlled by the IT support staff. Most importantly the average desktop computers don't travel around the world with their users the way smartphones do. Government assets are prime targets for state level actors and are protected with that in mind. Laptops too.

LeapSTR100-2/10.3.2.2876
    Troy Tiscareno likes this.
    11-11-16 06:56 AM
46 12