Who the hell would buy a new phone running this OS when all the major apps excluded from their development branch? Answer is NOBODY.
    Since BB10 is dead and unprofitable wouldn't be nice if BlackBerry open source it?
    A Github acc with all the OS code, libraries and instructions to compile there; It would be the only way to avoid good well made devices like 'the passport' become paperweight, since BB10 would keep be developing as a community OS and it could be even a remote chance to resurrect the OS by community with would allow BlackBerry to sell new hardware (devices) for it.
    greenjoe likes this.
    09-05-16 06:47 PM
    Who the hell would buy a new phone running this OS when all the major apps excluded from their development branch? Answer is NOBODY.
    Since BB10 is dead and unprofitable wouldn't be nice if BlackBerry open source it?
    A Github acc with all the OS code, libraries and instructions to compile there; It would be the only way to avoid good well made devices like 'the passport' become paperweight, since BB10 would keep be developing as a community OS and it could be even a remote chance to resurrect the OS by community with would allow BlackBerry to sell new hardware (devices) for it.
    What's in it for BlackBerry?

And since BlackBerry hardware will only accept BlackBerry-signed OSes, how would it benefit BlackBerry or any number of BB10 ultra-secure users to give away its signing keys to the public.
    BallRockReaper and tipplex like this.
    09-05-16 06:53 PM
    This didn't work for WebOS abandoned by HP, which UI-wise, bb10 borrowed from.
    09-05-16 09:10 PM
    Who the hell would buy a new phone running this OS
    Anyone who prefers a keyboard.
    Or trackpad.

Posted via CB10
    Vistaus likes this.
    09-05-16 09:12 PM
    This didn't work for WebOS abandoned by HP, which UI-wise, bb10 borrowed from.
    It did work 'cause now webOS lives on as the community-developed LuneOS which is actively updated by its devs. All thanks to HP's open sourcing.

Posted via CB10 using my amazing  Passport (OG Red) <3
    Shuswap and AllanQuatermain like this.
    09-06-16 12:57 AM
    What's in it for BlackBerry?

And since BlackBerry hardware will only accept BlackBerry-signed OSes, how would it benefit BlackBerry or any number of BB10 ultra-secure users to give away its signing keys to the public.
    I'm not saying I don't agree with you, but the open sourced code could also be used only for porting to other devices and stuff. That way they don't have to give away their keys for current BlackBerry devices.

skinnymike1 likes this.
    09-06-16 01:00 AM
    It did work 'cause now webOS lives on as the community-developed LuneOS which is actively updated by its devs. All thanks to HP's open sourcing.

The LuneOS daily driver is closer and closer everyday

-- Sent from my Palm Pre3 using Forums
    melander likes this.
    09-06-16 01:04 AM
    Seems like it would be rather difficult to open source BB10 without also pushing QNX into open source as well.
    09-06-16 01:20 AM

In comparison to the OP, are those builds working on Palm or HP phones that were built to run WebOS?

No. I see the name LuneOS created two years ago as an update release to openwebos. To date, none of the Palm nor HP phones are working with this and it comes to question if they ever will. I see they got a nexus 5 working with WiFi. With my veer and pixi, WebOS 2.1 and 1.4.5 are the only game in town and they are as functional as they were on announcement day when HP dropped support. For the uninitiated, that would be like running your 9900 on bbos7 and your q10 on bb10. No different than when the phone manufacturer still supported them.
    Last edited by melander; 09-06-16 at 04:01 AM.
    greenjoe likes this.
    09-06-16 03:40 AM
    I would buy a new phone running this OS. Maybe some few more people...
    We are not nobody, we are just a few...

Posted via CB10
    Gebo likes this.
    09-06-16 04:24 AM
    In comparison to the OP, are those builds working on Palm or HP phones that were built to run WebOS?

No. I see the name LuneOS created two years ago as an update release to openwebos. To date, none of the Palm nor HP phones are working with this and it comes to question if they ever will. I see they got a nexus 5 working with WiFi. With my veer and pixi, WebOS 2.1 and 1.4.5 are the only game in town and they are as functional as they were on announcement day when HP dropped support. For the uninitiated, that would be like running your 9900 on bbos7 and your q10 on bb10. No different than when the phone manufacturer still supported them.
    There's no question at all. Existing webOS devices will not receive LuneOS. The OS is too demanding for the old hardware. Development is progressing. Calling and SMS work, but there are still significant issues that preclude everyday use. Apps from webOS 3.0 also work, and I've used the music player on LuneOS.

Anyways, it's highly unlikely that BB10 would ever be open sourced. I'd suggest that anyone who wants something akin to an open-source BB10 consider giving their support to an existing project like Sailfish, which has been ported to several devices, is usable now, and incorporates a beautiful (but different) gesture-based interface.

Just my $0.02.
    Last edited by Shuswap; 09-06-16 at 11:46 PM.
    09-06-16 09:10 PM

LuneOS gets monthly updates so it's being actively developed. The HP Touchpad (webOS tablet) is supported and it all works fine (my own experience).
    LuneOS also works on the HP Pre 3 (last webOS phone ever, which I also still own) but it's a bit tricky to install and some things aren't working right. This is because no one from the community has stepped in on fixing them. They are fixable because the few drivers in question are available through XDA-developers.

They have ported to a few other devices as well like the Nexus 5 and all basic features work presumably. Anyone can port it since it's open source.

Posted via CB10 using my amazing  Passport (OG Red)
    Shuswap and AllanQuatermain like this.
    09-07-16 01:06 AM
    I am new in the BlackBerry Community and use a complete qt focused OS on my home computer.

In my opinion is the very most senseful idea the following:

Start a petition to Blackberry Limited in order to get access to the source code.
    They may release them, when they can see, that it makes a lot of sense.
    We can state, that the very most successful OS today are nearly all open source:

OS X and iOS are partly open, when we talk about the base, namely the Kernel, Toolchain and so on, not free is Aqua, the very most Apps, their APIs and all this stuff..

Android is based on Linux, the most used Kernel in the world.

The PS4, PSP (Vita) and more are all based on a BSD.

As many of you know, is the open source concept very successful for a lot of companys.

AMD learn this since some years. Even Microsoft goes into this direction.

And Blackberry Limited learn this currently by their Android projects.

So, again: I am very new here.

I use currently my first BlackBerry phone and the hardware is awesome in my opinion.

Produce such stuff is very expensive and cost things, which are mostly undiscovered: Slavery, overexploitation and so on.

Produce a fair phone today is an illusion, so lets use the already produced devices.

I, for my self prefer hardware keys because they save battery and feel exquisite, so BlackBerry is in my interest, since the very most devices today use a touch screen only.

I update my BlackBerry Bold 9900 today

The issues, which i aimed to fix with that update are still there; Network stop to work without any comment - GUI shows still all is running fine - Opera loose the connection and so on. The single one difference is, that these issues appear more often now, as it seems.

OK, BlackBerry Messenger is back, it disappeared for no reason which i was able to detect and comes back, since the update seems to simply reinstall the whole OS - so not a benefit which results from the updated code.

All these issues get temporary resolved by a reset - since the default "shutdown" leads to sleep in truth, is this and very bad issue in my opinion, since the very most people do not know about the soft reset and the hard reset is very unhandy, especially when you have to do it 1-3 times per day - and that for a device, which should be perfect stable now, since its already a lot of years old.

I mention this, in order to demonstrate one more reason, why an open source code can make a lot of sense, anybody out there who already work in that area, know exactly what i mean.

https://www.openpetition.eu/

Mer. Plasma. Qt.

There are a lot of tools, which let us build a wonderful OS, so long as the base system get released.
    09-07-16 04:32 AM
    LuneOS gets monthly updates so it's being actively developed. The HP Touchpad (webOS tablet) is supported and it all works fine (my own experience).
    LuneOS also works on the HP Pre 3 (last webOS phone ever, which I also still own) but it's a bit tricky to install and some things aren't working right. This is because no one from the community has stepped in on fixing them. They are fixable because the few drivers in question are available through XDA-developers.

They have ported to a few other devices as well like the Nexus 5 and all basic features work presumably. Anyone can port it since it's open source.

I totally forgot about the Touchpad. Interesting re: the Pre3. I've never heard that before.
    09-07-16 12:13 PM
    I am new in the BlackBerry Community and use a complete qt focused OS on my home computer.
    Welcome to our little piece of the internet.
    Fret Madden likes this.
    09-07-16 12:37 PM
    I totally forgot about the Touchpad. Interesting re: the Pre3. I've never heard that before.
    It was not introduced worldwide through the normal channels. Those wanting one hoped that HP would sell them despite their announcing plans to dissolve the Palm based mobile unit. Those who got their hands on one were lucky. The majority of WebOS users at the time of announcement had the other devices (Pre, Pre2 variants, Pixi variants, Veer), which currently are not supported.
    09-08-16 08:47 AM
    It was not introduced worldwide through the normal channels. Those wanting one hoped that HP would sell them despite their announcing plans to dissolve the Palm based mobile unit. Those who got their hands on one were lucky. The majority of WebOS users at the time of announcement had the other devices (Pre, Pre2 variants, Pixi variants, Veer), which currently are not supported.

Well, that was ambiguous of me. I know of the TouchPad. I just had a momentary lapse and forgot about the LuneOS port for the TouchPad.

When I said above that LuneOS wasn't coming to the older devices, it was based on comments from the developers, like this one: pivotCE: LuneOS Cafe Cubano: An In-Depth Look - webOS Nation Forums
    09-08-16 10:43 AM
    If the Touchpad wasn't introduced through the normal channels, then how come there were several stores here in my country (including a few big electronic retailer chains!) carrying the Touchpad? And I bought it in one of those stores? I'm pretty sure that, esp. big chains, have not imported them through gray areas. Mind you that all but one of those stores didn't carry any other webOS device before they put the Touchpad up for sale. One of them, Media Markt to be exact, even put up helpful information signs around the Touchpad and regularly there was someone from HP to help people out (Media Markt also does that with Apple and Samsung regularly). I'm pretty sure they wouldn't have done all of that for a device that they've imported from overseas, let alone HP sending out employees to help people in-store.
    But like I said, several other retailers/chains also carried the Touchpad. I bought mine at one of them.

The Pre 3, OTOH, was a lot harder to obtain. Belsimpel.nl was supposed to get it 'cause they were the only one who sold webOS *phones* here. But HP dropped the ball before they put the Pre 3 up for sale so they never sent then out to Belsimpel. So I imported it from a retailer in the UK through eBay, thanks to a helpful person over at webOS Nation who pointed me to that retailer.

Last edited by Vistaus; 09-08-16 at 05:57 PM.
    09-08-16 05:43 PM
    The Pre 3, OTOH, was a lot harder to obtain. Belsimpel.nl was supposed to get it 'cause they were the only one who sold webOS *phones* here. But HP dropped the ball before they put the Pre 3 up for sale so they never sent then out to Belsimpel. So I imported it from a retailer in the UK through eBay, thanks to a helpful person over at webOS Nation who pointed me to that retailer.

I bought my Pre3 on eBay too, from Europe. Here in Canada, it has one working 3G band (1900 mhz), but that seems to be fine unless I travel in very rural areas. I bring my Q10 or 9900 along on those trips.

-- Sent from my Palm Pre3 using Forums
    09-08-16 11:42 PM
    If the Touchpad wasn't introduced through the normal channels, then how come there were several stores here in my country (including a few big electronic retailer chains!) carrying the Touchpad? And I bought it in one of those stores? I'm pretty sure that, esp. big chains, have not imported them through gray areas. Mind you that all but one of those stores didn't carry any other webOS device before they put the Touchpad up for sale. One of them, Media Markt to be exact, even put up helpful information signs around the Touchpad and regularly there was someone from HP to help people out (Media Markt also does that with Apple and Samsung regularly). I'm pretty sure they wouldn't have done all of that for a device that they've imported from overseas, let alone HP sending out employees to help people in-store.
    But like I said, several other retailers/chains also carried the Touchpad. I bought mine at one of them.

I know many people who were not even fans of WebOS who got one of the firesale Touchpads at Amazon and other places.

The question was not about the Touchpad, it was about the Pre 3 which is what I was addressing and is on the first-hand based on the query. The vast majority of the public did not have channels to get this device, and the users who want to use the current OS on their original WebOS devices cannot at this time.
    09-09-16 09:07 AM
    I know many people who were not even fans of WebOS who got one of the firesale Touchpads at Amazon and other places.

The question was not about the Touchpad, it was about the Pre 3 which is what I was addressing and is on the first-hand based on the query. The vast majority of the public did not have channels to get this device, and the users who want to use the current OS on their original WebOS devices cannot at this time.
    Like I said earlier: you can install LuneOS on the Pre 3 (only the Pre 3!) but not as easily as the official supported devices (you need to compile) and some things aren't working so it's a WIP until someone steps in to fix those things. So you can use it on that particular original webOS device, just not as a daily driver.

Posted via CB10 using my amazing  ,Passport (OG Red)
    09-09-16 03:54 PM