LMHO ! .....but seriously for a moment....no.

Alas BB10, I never knew you....
    Here's the bb10 Playbook2 that might have Been....wow they even took my idea right down to playing battleship on it (wonder if they did a Connect Four and Card games as well). It even snap locks open. Well except I envisioned it's screens could also fold closed in on themselves as well Hey did you guys sell this idea to ZTE or was it one of the BlackBerry Forum employees back when it was a thing when I posted it there as well as CrackBerry? I'm laughing about A-pull applying for a foldable screen phone patent just recently. This could have been bb10's ipad killer (one device/not two phone/tablet). Working Wide....wider than the wide smile of using the BlackBerry Passport. Remember the z20/20 anyone? Hey who do I sue? Anyone agree this might have been a great BB10 device (conceptually at least).
    ZTE Axon M hands on review | TechRadar
    As an Android...so-so, but as a BB10 Playbook (with all the playbook gestures) this would have shined (Blackberry would have done a better job though!)

(Maybe tcl will roll out a BlackBerry badged android version of what might have been a great new BlackBerry BB10 device.)
    (PS: I love it, they even dare to have a "Passport Program " for the phone on their US website (slider #6 ) https://www.zteusa.com/axonm/

Playbook2 this could have been you!
    Actually on the BlackBerry forum way back, when I proposed this very "nonsense"device....they laughed and called me names...somebody obviously ran with it, tucked under their jacket....rudolph with your nose so bright....
    ...and yes even Apple and Samsung are on this.

Last edited by i_plod_an_dr_void; 11-26-17 at 02:06 PM.
    Qorax and rayporsche like this.
    11-26-17 01:52 PM
    ^Rudolf the BlackBerry Hub, Red-nosed l.e.d (lead?) Reindeer. - Santa. (Watch out for Apple....the Abominable snow-monster?)
    11-26-17 10:42 PM
    No company can be saved without satisfying its loyal fans.
    Microsoft says hello. You should read some Windows Phone forums after they finally made its death official. And people think THIS place is rabid...!
    11-27-17 06:55 AM
    ....and some are extremely interested in making sure, that "no-one" is interested in seeing BB10 or a successor sees the light of day.
    Do you have some sort of proof for this statement? This sounds like one of those flaky conspiracy theories, frankly.

If you check history you will find that there are all sorts of products that have gone out of business over the years - in many cases they were better products than the competition but just could not get the traction needed to really flourish.
    11-27-17 12:21 PM
    Do you have some sort of proof for this statement? This sounds like one of those flaky conspiracy theories, frankly.

If you check history you will find that there are all sorts of products that have gone out of business over the years - in many cases they were better products than the competition but just could not get the traction needed to really flourish.
    Too be honest Microsoft spent way more on their Mobile aspirations, even managed to get some of those key apps. They helped prove that 2013/2014 was just too late.

Problem is you had to very mature and established platforms.... the beta testing that BlackBerry and Microsoft were doing was not what consumers or enterprise was looking for at that point. Why buy products that cost just as much but can't deliver the "experience" that users need or want. BB10 demise was a result of poor business planning and management back in the 2005 - 2009 period.

Funny thing is it wasn't Google or Apple that really did in BlackBerry, it was Microsoft. When they released ActiveSync for mobile devices, that ended most of the advantage of BIS and BlackBerry's monopoly on instant emails and great battery life.
    11-27-17 01:29 PM
    Chen are you hiding?????

Posted via CB10
    Bonnie Bonzai likes this.
    11-27-17 01:44 PM
    Chen are you hiding?????

Posted via CB10
    What does this mean? Hiding from what?

Blackberry already made its decision long ago.
    11-27-17 01:59 PM
    The nonsense part is somehow getting all upset that a company like BlackBerry isn't actually listening to these ideas and putting them into practice. As if someone off the street knows how to run a billion dollar business.

The nonsense part is taking it personally when others point out why such ideas simply won't work in reality.

I fully understand the brilliance of BB10, as well it's limitations. I also know there's no future. We can all dream that it could go further, but why torture ourselves acting as if any of this will actually make a difference.
    Actually what is funny is several people on the thread are just having fun at everyone else's expense. They don't believe BB10 has a future, but love getting reactions from others. Grab some popcorn and watch the fun.
    11-27-17 02:55 PM
    What does this mean? Hiding from what?

Blackberry already made its decision long ago.
    Somebody actually expects the CEO to post an answer.
    11-27-17 04:56 PM
    Too be honest Microsoft spent way more on their Mobile aspirations, even managed to get some of those key apps. They helped prove that 2013/2014 was just too late.

Problem is you had to very mature and established platforms.... the beta testing that BlackBerry and Microsoft were doing was not what consumers or enterprise was looking for at that point. Why buy products that cost just as much but can't deliver the "experience" that users need or want. BB10 demise was a result of poor business planning and management back in the 2005 - 2009 period.

Funny thing is it wasn't Google or Apple that really did in BlackBerry, it was Microsoft. When they released ActiveSync for mobile devices, that ended most of the advantage of BIS and BlackBerry's monopoly on instant emails and great battery life.
    Yes Android then and now is quite the "experience" ios too! (lol) As a tinker-toy (raspberry pi (lol))android is okay, as your wife's make-up kit apple is fine too. I still can't get over how they slapped a phone on the boy's toy ipod and called it a revolution.
    11-27-17 06:55 PM
    Can't leave out Mr Mobile's take on the android imitation copy (axon M) of my version of BB10's z20/20: Playbook2 this could have been YOU! ( red, white and blue tall hat, and pointy finger guy).
    It wasn't Hein-sight that came up with the z20/20 vision though.... for those Thorsten...um Thirsting for answers.

Business users can throw away their ipad they carry with the phone (as can anyone, older and younger, and the dating type), with the right BB10 software installed.
    11-27-17 07:05 PM
    Can't leave out Mr Mobile's take on the android imitation copy (axon M) of my version of BB10's z20/20: Playbook2 this could have been YOU! ( red, white and blue tall hat, and pointy finger guy).
    It wasn't Hein-sight that came up with the z20/20 vision though.... for those Thorsten...um Thirsting for answers.

Business users can throw away their ipad they carry with the phone (as can anyone, older and younger, and the dating type), with the right BB10 software installed.
    Okay everybody head on over to kernels for some BlackBerry Flavoured Carmel corn (if you want). By the way the headlines could have read (as mentioned eons ago) "Has BlackBerry finally flipped! (referring to of course the fact that you flip the phone open to make it a tablet...sure sure call it a clamshell....but clams don't open very easily at all.)
    Last edited by i_plod_an_dr_void; 11-28-17 at 04:10 AM.
    11-27-17 07:13 PM
    I don't understand all the pain. I love BB10 and continue to use it, and I'm thankful BlackBerry supported it as long as they did. If anything, considering the financial performance, I'd say BlackBerry has exceeded any reasonable expectations for support of BB10.

Now, if only they'd pull a rabbit out of their hat one more time to patch the KRACK vulnerability, I'd sing the company's praises forever!

Posted with my trusty Z10
    11-27-17 11:44 PM
    I don't understand all the pain. I love BB10 and continue to use it, and I'm thankful BlackBerry supported it as long as they did. If anything, considering the financial performance, I'd say BlackBerry has exceeded any reasonable expectations for support of BB10.

Now, if only they'd pull a rabbit out of their hat one more time to patch the KRACK vulnerability, I'd sing the company's praises forever!

No pain...just giving up bb10 completely, may just be insane....giving it a rest while the patient recovers, sure. BB10's life can be extended with a variety of suggestions..(within the scope of the OP's initial remarks)
    For example (grant it Essential is using android, however the bb10 code-base is still there just needs faster soc adaption, and 64 bit platform QNX has done the legwork on this essentially), and BB is a long recognized smartphone brand.:
    QUOTE:
    He notes that Essential, the new smartphone company founded by Android creator Andy Rubin, began selling a handset in August that more or less matches the new iPhones feature-for-feature despite being produced by a company that has about 100 employees and $300 million in ,venture capital. Reviews of the new phone have been mixed, but that the Essential handset is even being compared to the iPhone X is an achievement given that Apple spent more than $10 billion on R&D in 2016.
    https://www.bloomberg.com/news/featu...ver-an-18-part

So our original estimates were within a ballpark of possibilities. Also note Apples position on Qualcomm having a monopoly and how nasty it appears apple is with regards to its suppliers. BlackBerry could argue along the same lines about Google Android, and the need for that 3option (BB10).
    11-28-17 04:03 AM
    No pain...just giving up bb10 completely, may just be insane....giving it a rest while the patient recovers, sure. BB10's life can be extended with a variety of suggestions..(within the scope of the OP's initial remarks)
    For example (grant it Essential is using android, however the bb10 code-base is still there just needs faster soc adaption, and 64 bit platform QNX has done the legwork on this essentially), and BB is a long recognized smartphone brand.:
    QUOTE:
    He notes that Essential, the new smartphone company founded by Android creator Andy Rubin, began selling a handset in August that more or less matches the new iPhones feature-for-feature despite being produced by a company that has about 100 employees and $300 million in ,venture capital. Reviews of the new phone have been mixed, but that the Essential handset is even being compared to the iPhone X is an achievement given that Apple spent more than $10 billion on R&D in 2016.

So our original estimates were within a ballpark of possibilities. Also note Apples position on Qualcomm having a monopoly and how nasty it appears apple is with regards to its suppliers. BlackBerry could argue along the same lines about Google Android, and the need for that 3option (BB10).
    Dunt Dunt Dunt and G_Unit MVP like this.
    11-28-17 07:18 AM
    QUOTE:

Creating and maintaining drivers for the SOCs and other hardware components is a huge undertaking that Essential doesn't have to do because it uses Android, and those drivers are already available from the hardware manufacturers. That single issue makes a revival of BB10 a very unappealing investment.

And then there is the basic fact that no amount of money (as Microsoft proved) will entice developers to develop for a third platform with no market share.

Dunt Dunt Dunt likes this.
    11-28-17 09:47 AM
    Actually what is funny is several people on the thread are just having fun at everyone else's expense. They don't believe BB10 has a future, but love getting reactions from others. Grab some popcorn and watch the fun.
    You don't think people on the other side of the debate are also enjoying our reactions?
    11-28-17 09:58 AM
    You don't think people on the other side of the debate are also enjoying our reactions?
    I'm quite amused at the similarities of the arguments here and at windowscentral. 😸
    11-28-17 10:27 AM
    I'm quite amused at the similarities of the arguments here and at windowscentral. 😸

Can you use a webOS device in 2017 (as a new user)? - webOS Nation Forums

Some people just can't move on....
    11-28-17 11:41 AM
    Well ....the mule is the go to light workhorse....so....
    11-28-17 02:27 PM
    Maybe Blackberry, always diffferentiating itself from the crowd should go with the 3-screen (slab) fold out for the BB10 (ugghhh..Android) Playbook 3 Premium instead? Should I design that online as well so ZTE can scoop it up?
    11-28-17 02:31 PM
    Creating and maintaining drivers for the SOCs and other hardware components is a huge undertaking that Essential doesn't have to do because it uses Android, and those drivers are already available from the hardware manufacturers. That single issue makes a revival of BB10 a very unappealing investment.

And then there is the basic fact that no amount of money (as Microsoft proved) will entice developers to develop for a third platform with no market share.

Well someone should come out with 'how different' those SOC drivers really need to be for bb10. BB didn't have wrappers and/or didn't document? I'd really love to know just how much work is really needed to apparantly make useless drivers, useful for bb10. I suspect less than the "boogeymen" are telling all of us. Bearing in mind of course that QNX is apparently already operating on 64-bit SOC's.
    11-28-17 02:42 PM
    Besides who can certify we aren't arguing with Google's or Apple's or 3rd party AI's (anywhere and everywhere on the internet)? Wait we can't ,there's no law yet, that requires AI conversations/posts be explicitly revealed (as posted by an AI), all the while maintaining individual anonymity if desired on the net....since the attacks on Al Frankan's personal awkwardness'es and transgressions are obviously more important than issues dealing with monopolies and A.I. and data groping, it would appear. BB should get on this.

I wonder though, whose database had the stored pictures of Al Franken's prank groping, from a couple decades? ago?
    11-28-17 03:00 PM
    When somebody repeatedly replies to their own posts... you might want to refrain from trying to debate with them. That rabbit hole is too deep.
    11-28-17 03:20 PM
    Well someone should come out with 'how different' those SOC drivers really need to be for bb10. BB didn't have wrappers and/or didn't document? I'd really love to know just how much work is really needed to apparantly make useless drivers, useful for bb10. I suspect less than the "boogeymen" are telling all of us. Bearing in mind of course that QNX is apparently already operating on 64-bit SOC's.
    Now I have to assume you're either joking or really don't understand how specific drivers are for an operating system and a specific pieces of hardware. It's not just the SOC. Every component needs drivers tailored to the OS. Radios, keyboards, cameras, buttons, screens, DACs, amplifiers, etc. Moreover, the hardware manufacturers do most of the work, and will charge a fortune to a small manufacturer that doesn't guarantee them 10s of millions of units. That's one reason BlackBerry kept producing millions of BB10 phones with the same hardware.

11-28-17 03:35 PM
716 ... 2122232425 ...