Well the S8 is the king of pretty much all battery drain test! That should mean something about Android and power management
    Oh, I don't know. I can get a full day and still have about 20% left by midnight when I plug it in on my S8.

I never got that on my Z10 even when it was new. And, no subsequent OS update - from 10.1 to the current 10.3.3 - ever made a lick of difference on battery life.

At least not until cell service to it was turned off a few months back, and I turned mobile data off in settings. Now I get 2 days. But then, my 8 year old only plays with it for about 20 to 30 minutes a day as a wi-fi only tablet.
    11-20-17 08:16 AM
    Oh, I don't know. I can get a full day and still have about 20% left by midnight when I plug it in on my S8.

I never got that on my Z10 even when it was new. And, no subsequent OS update - from 10.1 to the current 10.3.3 - ever made a lick of difference on battery life.

At least not until cell service to it was turned off a few months back, and I turned mobile data off in settings. Now I get 2 days. But then, my 8 year old only plays with it for about 20 to 30 minutes a day as a wi-fi only tablet.
    The Z10, with its small, removable battery, very bright screen and powerful radios, was always compromised in terms of battery life. At its best, in perfect conditions, it was an 8-12 hour phone when new.

Posted with my trusty Z10
    11-20-17 08:23 AM
    I like my KEYone just fine for everything EXCEPT work. The Android Hub+ is not nearly as clean and simple as the BB10 Hub.

You're holding it wrong.
    11-20-17 08:26 AM
    You're holding it wrong.
    Quite possibly! LOL

If I had a decent video set up I would offer a side -by-side comparison to show what I'm experiencing. In a nutshell, the Hub navigation between accounts is my challenge.

I'm right handed and typically hold my Z10 in my right hand, where, with one handed thumb swipes and taps, I can browse through each of my Hub accounts one by one when I check my messages between meetings and calls.

With the KEYone, the navigation between accounts in the HUB is MUCH less reliable, as I have to reach all the way to the left EDGE to swipe to accounts. If my thumb doesn't get all the way across, and instead touches an actual message, I get the message-specific swipe right function, which I then have to waste multiple actions to UNDO.

I've been practicing for two months, and the KEYone is just too wide for me to reliably reach all the way across with my thumb to reliably get to my accounts.

Is this something I could program the convenience button to do?

11-20-17 09:11 AM

That’s what I meant. My Z10 or my Z30 was only able to get decent battery life with everything switched off. I kept coming to this board and people would say “switch off location” or “switch off background services”

Yeah BB10 had a great interface and was somehow ahead of its time (Apple is actually gonna make gesture very popular).

But battery life wasn’t it’s strength... people confuse big battery with good battery life.
    Dunt Dunt Dunt likes this.
    11-20-17 09:44 AM
    The Z10, with its small, removable battery, very bright screen and powerful radios, was always compromised in terms of battery life. At its best, in perfect conditions, it was an 8-12 hour phone when new.

Only if you powered it off as you pulled from the charger... ;-)
    11-20-17 03:02 PM
    I'm right handed and typically hold my Z10 in my right hand, where, with one handed thumb swipes and taps, I can browse through each of my Hub accounts one by one when I check my messages between meetings and calls.

With the KEYone, the navigation between accounts in the HUB is MUCH less reliable, as I have to reach all the way to the left EDGE to swipe to accounts. If my thumb doesn't get all the way across, and instead touches an actual message, I get the message-specific swipe right function, which I then have to waste multiple actions to UNDO.

I've been practicing for two months, and the KEYone is just too wide for me to reliably reach all the way across with my thumb to reliably get to my accounts.

Is this something I could program the convenience button to do?

Just to help prevent someone taking this as a reason for preferring BB10 over Android:

Small phone = one-handed use.
    Bigger phone -> two-handed use.
    11-20-17 03:42 PM
    Just to help prevent someone taking this as a reason for preferring BB10 over Android:

Small phone = one-handed use.
    Bigger phone -> two-handed use.
    Naturally, but there are no BlackBerry Android small phones, so the effect is the same.

11-20-17 03:46 PM
    Naturally, but there are no BlackBerry Android small phones, so the effect is the same.

Maybe no BlackBerry phones but there are other options. I have moved on to a nice one-handed device that I use as my second, and it isn't BB.
    11-20-17 04:13 PM
    Maybe no BlackBerry phones but there are other options. I have moved on to a nice one-handed device that I use as my second, and it isn't BB.
    Great. Unfortunately for me, the BlackBerry Androids are the only ones I've found that I like, and I've played with a bunch of them.

I think it comes down to the fact that, for me, BB10's Hub is preferable to the Hub+ Suite for business class email. I had assumed that, after a couple of months of practice, the Android be great for me, but it's just not the case yet.

I love Web browsing (with the new Firefox) on the KEYone compared to BB10, and it's nice knowing I can use any app I might want, but I find the Hub buggy for Slack and awkward in general compared to BB10. Certainly, the Android Hub+ Suite supports MANY more account types than BB10, but I prefer most of the non-email accounts, from Slack to LinkedIn, on my PC anyway.

11-20-17 05:03 PM
    Great. Unfortunately for me, the BlackBerry Androids are the only ones I've found that I like, and I've played with a bunch of them.

I think it comes down to the fact that, for me, BB10's Hub is preferable to the Hub+ Suite for business class email. I had assumed that, after a couple of months of practice, the Android be great for me, but it's just not the case yet.

I love Web browsing (with the new Firefox) on the KEYone compared to BB10, and it's nice knowing I can use any app I might want, but I find the Hub buggy for Slack and awkward in general compared to BB10. Certainly, the Android Hub+ Suite supports MANY more account types than BB10, but I prefer most of the non-email accounts, from Slack to LinkedIn, on my PC anyway.

I hear you on the Hub+ Suite vs BB10 Hub. That is really the main reason why I still use my Passport as my #1 . My P9 is a perfectly sized (reasonably small), one-handed device for me though. I'm not married to any single brand so if some day BBm comes up with the right device for me, I have no problem picking it up.
    11-20-17 05:25 PM
    I hear you on the Hub+ Suite vs BB10 Hub. That is really the main reason why I still use my Passport as my #1 . My P9 is a perfectly sized (reasonably small), one-handed device for me though. I'm not married to any single brand so if some day BBm comes up with the right device for me, I have no problem picking it up.
    Glad you found a device you like. The hard part for me is that, 95-99%% of my needs are covered perfectly by BB10, and are superior on my old Z10 to Android. I keep making myself use my KEYone because I really want to love it and migrate to it, but I'm beginning to accept that it doesn't make sense for me to sacrifice my productivity just to use a newer phone.

I love the KEYone hardware, and the phone is really fun to play with and configure, but it's just not great for actually getting my paid work done, so far at least.

11-20-17 05:34 PM
    Re-think the key, ignition and vehicle security and infomatics my friend. Don't get stuck in the old paradigm where the key is a completely separate physical analog device, not uniquely tied to the user/owner and permitted drivers. It may not be the entry level model that contains this feature, but the mid and fully-loaded tiers that would...or it could be the reverse depends how the auto industry progresses in the next few years.

go buy a Ford, it might come with the stuff you want. (old story.. 2 year old). google ford 2015 app "ford latest connect car..."from Fortune magazine...
    11-20-17 07:16 PM
    11-20-17 07:29 PM
    I'm a big fan of bb10 os, I used iOS primarily but that's because bb10 never took off. Bb10 is just beautiful, interestingly enough the only other phone I thought was a beautiful as bb10 os and hardware was the Microsoft lumia 950xl. But that didn't last either lol.

Posted via CB10
    i_plod_an_dr_void likes this.
    11-20-17 07:49 PM
    Yes I'm aware of the remote start/unlock type apps.....that's dipping your toes a little bit in the waters, but what I suggested is far more extensive then that....the phone is only and always your key and the heart of your automobile...you always use the phone to access your car, not ocassionally. As that app you pointed out is just an optional not necessarily integral part of the car.
    (FWIW... I don't mean to burst anyones bubble, but I'm not a fan at all of remote starters, consumers abuse them and contribute to smog and lung disease by unnecessary pro-longed car idling, while you spend another 15minutes in the house re-applying your lipstick or finding something you forgot, especially in large urban areas. In minus 20, I cold start a car and just drive it off slowly, nothing beats that for warming up a car quickly, and I do have a duty to try to not kill or annoy my neighbours with my car idling in the driveway at all, if I can help it - its the neighbourly thing to do). Out in the country on a large farm sure okay, but in congested and poorer air-quality zones of most cities - no thanks (combustion engines being the pivotal point here/ not necessarily for a hybrid if it doesn't engage the combustion engine though). I imagine at some point regulators will begin looking at remote starters to see whether their usage can be minimalized by fiat for air quality concerns in urban zones (nothing greater than 1-5 minutes I would imagine, then it kill switches and won't remote restart for 30minutes or more, if the car hasn't driven off). Cold climate warriors of course like Winnipegers use the engine block/ oil heater, and or battery heater for the really extreme colds below -20. (Celcius of course), PS... I only use Farenheit for the warmer more humane temperatures (they make more sense on that temperature scale 60's 70' -80's 90's etc).
    hazmaju likes this.
    11-21-17 12:52 AM
    The one app I'd love to see BlackBerry Port to Google play......is BB10 itself, the whole darn thing, there upon it will pick up little jr. android and put him in a siloed play-pen in the bb10 house (where none of Juniors constant babbling will escape the confines of your phone and leak out over the air) (lol). I loathe Android, (and ios too - so don't call me prejudiced :-) ever since i started off in the tablet world spoiled rotten with a BlackBerry Playbook (I used to tease the Apple ipad users mercilessly with the Playbook design - I took the ipad for a spin and just didn't like it either), and then later was forced to move to the slums with an awful android Tablet...that alone turned me off android....for ever.
    Please don't slum down my car the same way.
    11-21-17 01:15 AM
    a good article for blackberry don't forget smartphone and their os https://www.technewsworld.com/story/84962.html
    i_plod_an_dr_void likes this.
    11-21-17 11:21 AM
    a good article for blackberry don't forget smartphone and their os https://www.technewsworld.com/story/84962.html
    By Rob Enderle? Take anything he writes with several very large grains of salt.
    11-21-17 11:58 AM
    I don't know this guy I 'm from france

Love Peace and share {channel C004E5406}
    11-21-17 11:59 AM
    Yeah he leaves out how BlackBerry isn't really in the business of securing EVERYTHING. They have a pretty narrow focus right now, and they aren't the only ones in the security business. And that article, talks about broad concerns with no information on how BlackBerry would solve the problems.

Sadly it's becoming clear that no one needs BlackBerry in the mobile business... outside of device management, thanks more to Good than to what was BES.
    11-21-17 01:28 PM
    Yeah he leaves out how BlackBerry isn't really in the business of securing EVERYTHING. They have a pretty narrow focus right now, and they aren't the only ones in the security business. And that article, talks about broad concerns with no information on how BlackBerry would solve the problems.

Sadly it's becoming clear that no one needs BlackBerry in the mobile business... outside of device management, thanks more to Good than to what was BES.
    What nonsense, between BlackBerry and its subsidiary QNX yeah they are in to securing a lot of devices big and small, from Nuclear Power Plant systems to Iot devices, to corporate security management of multiplatform smartphone devices.
    ....and yes the market needs a bb10x 64 update for the auto, requiring that secure QNX Real Time Operating System.

....are none of us aware of the IRS's targeting and harassing organiztions that express a conservative political bent under the Obama Administration? Do you think there is anything to stop Google or similair's "personally unwanted data groping apps" (or even Apple) from doing the same, to some group it doesn't like the political views of? You don't think it could happen? How many times has youtube (google owned) suspended accounts on this very arbitrary basis? Why must everything go through iTunes? in the apple world as well? BladeRunner anyone?

Now more than ever, there needs to be a BlackBerry in the smartphone marketplace. Surveillance states lead to dictatorships.
    There is only one Dom of the Minions, and he ain't A.I.
    11-21-17 10:52 PM
    What nonsense, between BlackBerry and its subsidiary QNX yeah they are in to securing a lot of devices big and small, from Nuclear Power Plant systems to Iot devices, to corporate security management of multiplatform smartphone devices.
    ....and yes the market needs a bb10x 64 update for the auto, requiring that secure QNX Real Time Operating System.

....are none of us aware of the IRS's targeting and harassing organiztions that express a conservative political bent under the Obama Administration? Do you think there is anything to stop Google or similair's "personally unwanted data groping apps" (or even Apple) from doing the same, to some group it doesn't like the political views of? You don't think it could happen? How many times has youtube (google owned) suspended accounts on this very arbitrary basis? Why must everything go through iTunes? in the apple world as well? BladeRunner anyone?

Now more than ever, there needs to be a BlackBerry in the smartphone marketplace. Surveillance states lead to dictatorships.
    There is only one Dom of the Minions, and he ain't A.I.
    John Chen said BlackBerry would gladly hand over whatever data they can to governments that request it.

 BlackBerry | CLASSIC
    Dunt Dunt Dunt likes this.
    11-21-17 11:09 PM
    John Chen said BlackBerry would gladly hand over whatever data they can to governments that request it.

 BlackBerry | CLASSIC
    I believe the context was...requests by warrant to intercept communications? what else (like a wire-tap)....but feel free to correct me if wrong. How much does Android hand over to Google and others? all the time, without any warrant? (...and what does Apple collect?). The point is, what's the difference between a Gov't collection or a larg Corporate collection....what are the protections for the individual, or business or other entity.
    11-21-17 11:46 PM
    I believe the context was...requests by warrant to intercept communications? what else (like a wire-tap)....but feel free to correct me if wrong. How much does Android hand over to Google and others? all the time, without any warrant? (...and what does Apple collect?). The point is, what's the difference between a Gov't collection or a larg Corporate collection....what are the protections for the individual, or business or other entity.
    BlackBerry has handed over their master encryption key for BBM to allow the Canadian government to intercept millions of messages.

https://news.vice.com/article/exclus...yption-key-how

Android is a Google product/service like BBM is a BlackBerry product/service (or at least it was...they've since licensed it to a third party company called Emtek).

The point is, BlackBerry does collect data and has the means to access at least some of it upon request, just like Google, Apple, Microsoft, etc.

And BlackBerry has demonstrated that they can and will let governments conduct mass surveillance of that data.

Are you saying you trust governments with our data more than corporations?

I don't trust either.

 BlackBerry | CLASSIC
    11-22-17 07:16 AM
716 ... 1718192021 ...