1)Product Marketing....notify existing users by push....bb10 is not dead (device/BBM ) especially corp/gov , a you pay for life-extension update is coming within 3-6months, new product within 18months. Other ...yes identify what improvements are asap.
    2)Training to code bb10? Really? is C/C++ now a rare commodity? 3months to train bb10 internals/architecture/design methodology/standards max. Then some slow change progressing depending on experience. How many of those bb10 guys are retired or semi, I wonder....good mentorship program there if there are any kicking about. Return some key architects to the fold (perhaps profit-share)
    3)1st major update 8-12months out (perhaps continual minor patches before that every 30/60 days or after initial 5month period, subscription based of course).
    4)64bit new bb10-64 mid-level device 12-18months out....annual or 18 month rollout thereafter if moderately successful.
    5)spin-off the bb10 as a separate division/startup - wholly owned.
    6)Stay with android license as well - there's a niche for that (separate team), for those who care a whit about privacy.
    7)Brand recognition is still brand recognition.
    8) tic-toc, tic-toc

I not will bother answering most of your reply. I have been in the tech industry almost 30 years. I manage a large business unit for one of the biggest enterprise software companies. I think the fantasy posts are the best response. If you think a standard programmer can jump into deep system level OS code, well more power to you.

I asume this is just a fun what if tread since the whole thread is a fantasy. BlackBerry Limited will never invest any money in BB10 beyond maybe a security fix and even that is doubtful. You talk about BB10 corporate and government customers. If anyone here can name one customer with over 500 BB10 phones that are not I already planning their migration I want to know the customer.

We once developed for BB10 to support our enterprise software. After meeting with BlackBerry last year we ended all support. We have one customer in Europe still using BB10, but they are currently in the middle of their migration.
    app_Developer likes this.
    11-10-17 07:05 PM
    I not will bother answering most of your reply. I have been in the tech industry almost 30 years. I manage a large business unit for one of the biggest enterprise software companies. I think the fantasy posts are the best response. If you think a standard programmer can jump into deep system level OS code, well more power to you.

I asume this is just a fun what if tread since the whole thread is a fantasy. BlackBerry Limited will never invest any money in BB10 beyond maybe a security fix and even that is doubtful. You talk about BB10 corporate and government customers. If anyone here can name one customer with over 500 BB10 phones that are not I already planning their migration I want to know the customer.

We once developed for BB10 to support our enterprise software. After meeting with BlackBerry last year we ended all support. We have one customer in Europe still using BB10, but they are currently in the middle of their migration.
    eshropshire for game point .....(I'm at volleyball match right now.)
    11-10-17 07:09 PM

What if's/Fantasy? Of course....nothing sparks without a what-if.
    Fun thread? Work should be fun for innovators (and difficult) and should have some monetary reward down the line.
    Can't say BB triaging its business wasn't unnecessary....doubt it could have floated new stock, bonds or debt - couldn't sell new investors on a dream story clearly (but I'm not privy to the real workings of that business so can't say). Maybe they did a fantastic job, maybe okay, maybe terrible - don't know the inner workings, and the results of alternate strategies are obviously unknown (some can be reasonable assessed, others who-knows?). It is alive an breathing that is something for sure.
    Telling you no more bb10 devices in the pipeline is surely what made you stop further development, or maybe jettising their development &engineering staff did that. Ending support might just have meant you couldn't be bothered maintaining a diversified smartphone platform software offering (or you wanted them less diverse) or you just didn't have enough customers based on your corporate criteria (revenue) and priorities (maybe they were dwindling -well no surprise given the vision) - that's fine for whatever business that was. Yes its clear BB is publicly silent on BB10 these days.
    But yes...
    tic toc, tic toc.
    and yes....
    groping your personal data is a significant issue for many consumers (much more than software giants want anyone to admit - cause that's their vested interest (revenue) - but it is not in the interest of the smartphone owner - given the ever broken promise of anonymity and security) - they don't have any simple equivalent consumer alternatives in the smartphone/web environment right now do they?
    I wonder if not a significant consumer/business revolt is or will soon dry up app purchasing because of this trust problem - they don't want to expose themselves and they have no confidence in google play or apple appstore, and just stop buying or installing apps that aren't absolutely necessary.
    ...Next set.
    11-10-17 09:13 PM
    You have to move on.

Posted via Classic
    11-10-17 09:28 PM
    (but I'm not privy to the real workings of that business so can't say).
    No kidding LOL
    11-10-17 09:33 PM
    No kidding LOL
    ....of course that was the large float business....stock,bond, debt issuance business I was referring to.....you know 2008 house of cards and all...sometimes gold sinks and other stuff can float to the top.
    11-10-17 10:58 PM
    I wonder how many of the former deeply skilled BB employees would love the chance to jump back to BB NorthEast if there was an opportunity. Maybe BB should keep in touch through an alumni org......I am aware of some who have migrated off to Calif, and Wash and aren't enjoying it as much as they thought they would - the opportunity yes - the life not as much. I'd give that a little while longer to brew for others though.
    11-11-17 11:23 AM
    I wonder how many of the former deeply skilled BB employees would love the chance to jump back to BB NorthEast if there was an opportunity. Maybe BB should keep in touch through an alumni org......I am aware of some who have migrated off to Calif, and Wash and aren't enjoying it as much as they thought they would - the opportunity yes - the life not as much. I'd give that a little while longer to brew for others though.
    Zero
    11-11-17 11:31 AM
    What if's/Fantasy? Of course....nothing sparks without a what-if.
    Fun thread? Work should be fun for innovators (and difficult) and should have some monetary reward down the line.
    Can't say BB triaging its business wasn't unnecessary....doubt it could have floated new stock, bonds or debt - couldn't sell new investors on a dream story clearly (but I'm not privy to the real workings of that business so can't say). Maybe they did a fantastic job, maybe okay, maybe terrible - don't know the inner workings, and the results of alternate strategies are obviously unknown (some can be reasonable assessed, others who-knows?). It is alive an breathing that is something for sure.
    Telling you no more bb10 devices in the pipeline is surely what made you stop further development, or maybe jettising their development &engineering staff did that. Ending support might just have meant you couldn't be bothered maintaining a diversified smartphone platform software offering (or you wanted them less diverse) or you just didn't have enough customers based on your corporate criteria (revenue) and priorities (maybe they were dwindling -well no surprise given the vision) - that's fine for whatever business that was. Yes its clear BB is publicly silent on BB10 these days.
    But yes...
    tic toc, tic toc.
    and yes....
    groping your personal data is a significant issue for many consumers (much more than software giants want anyone to admit - cause that's their vested interest (revenue) - but it is not in the interest of the smartphone owner - given the ever broken promise of anonymity and security) - they don't have any simple equivalent consumer alternatives in the smartphone/web environment right now do they?
    I wonder if not a significant consumer/business revolt is or will soon dry up app purchasing because of this trust problem - they don't want to expose themselves and they have no confidence in google play or apple appstore, and just stop buying or installing apps that aren't absolutely necessary.
    ...Next set.
    No, I am done. My division is still a BlackBerry Limited developer. We support their enterprise software. I am very aware of their strategy and plans.

Tired of the thread. I an getting ready for my next business trip tomorrow. The thread has been a fun fantasy ride, you have a great imagination, but personally at this point I feel like King Arthur in the Holy Grail battling the Black knight.

i_plod_an_dr_void likes this.
    11-11-17 11:35 AM
    So Sir Arthur created the first hands free black smartphone? I heard the early models were quite heavy, and bled power but had never scene one.
    11-11-17 11:42 AM
    Zero
    Zoro maybe. Zero? That's just your side of the bit.
    11-11-17 11:45 AM
    I hear it all the time here all the time " BB10 OS is dead, you need to move on.". Except that Blackberry themselves haven't moved on ; BB10.3.3 is still supported. Chen and Thurber are still quite vocal in their continuing support of BB10 and their BB customers .
    Sure , there's Blackberry Android, but let's be honest . BAs are meeting their sales targets according to Chen and Blackberry's doing okay , but at the end of the day Blackberry is just another Android OEM in a sea of AOEMs . And the competition is fierce ! No , if BB wants to become truly relevant again , they must look to one of their proprietary OSes . And no , I don't mean BB10, at least not in its present firm...
    i_plod_an_dr_void likes this.
    11-11-17 11:51 AM
    I hear it all the time here all the time " BB10 OS is dead, you need to move on.". Except that Blackberry themselves haven't moved on ; BB10.3.3 is still supported. Chen and Thurber are still quite vocal in their continuing support of BB10 and their BB customers .
    Sure , there's Blackberry Android, but let's be honest . BAs are meeting their sales targets according to Chen and Blackberry's doing okay , but at the end of the day Blackberry is just another Android OEM in a sea of AOEMs . And the competition is fierce ! No , if BB wants to become truly relevant again , they must look to one of their proprietary OSes . And no , I don't mean BB10, at least not in its present firm...
    If BlackBerry doesn't patch the KRACK vulnerability that breaks WPA2 WiFi security, then it's not supported any more. This is a critical vulnerability that is being addressed by all manufacturers for current devices. BlackBerry has patched its Android phones, but has not even acknowledged the issue for BB10.

I'm still a BB10 fan, but I can find no evidence that it's still supported anymore.

Posted with my trusty Z10
    11-11-17 12:11 PM
    When people desperately want something they can't have, the mind looks for loopholes to get it. Trust me, I have come up with some very creative solutions to getting what I want. But if the other party doesn't care, it doesn't matter how creative your ideas are. You tried playing the numbers game in your head, and when an industry executive shot you down, you spewed conjecture about his company's lack of vision, focus and priority. Then you went from that to wondering how many BB10 employees want to come back. You're grasping at straws, nearly no one in this thread agrees with anything you have to say and the one or two who do are just as delusional as you and argue in much the same fashion as you. Everyone is annoyed at having to repeatedly explain that blackberry doesn't give a flying "for unlawful carnal knowledge" about BB10. None of your wild conjecture and uneducated hyperbole matters.
    DrBoomBotz likes this.
    11-11-17 12:17 PM
    I hear it all the time here all the time " BB10 OS is dead, you need to move on.". Except that Blackberry themselves haven't moved on ; BB10.3.3 is still supported.
    So no new devices in 2.5 years, no significant OS development in 3.5 years, no security update in almost a year, no mention of Krack, and the complete sacking of all BB10 personal and physical plant are indicators of "support" ?
    11-11-17 12:22 PM
    Just one future scenario.....
    If my car in the future is electric....why the hell would I want an engine compartment computer, when my smartphone app could be its core....and its anti-theft device....because it would be a brick when the phone wasn't attached with an encrypted handshake to a much smaller qnx core in the car ....thinking of the future ROI ....how much is Amazon raking in by now?
    BB10 or whatever with QNX should stay in the business for that eventual possible convergence....and QNX is the gold in that mine.
    Since you would want the features of QNX on the phone side of that equation as well.
    And I wonder if the automakers might like the outsourcing of that hardware themselves.
    You're making a few assumptions here that won't work in real life.

One, unless you're one car, one person in your family, or you're willing to give up your smartphone when a family member is driving, this falls apart.

Second, the cars of the future are going to need dedicated computers to enable autonomous functions. No one would ever trust a phone that can be mucked up easily with apps and such to peform such a vital function.

As technology and autonomous vehicles advance, urban transportation will become a service, not something people own themselves.

The market for smartphone as vehicle computer is so small, kinda like the BB10 market.

The only way BB10 is ever coming back is if the dreamers in here come up with a multibillion funding plan that includes buying BlackBerry, because they likely won't sell BB10 on its own, and running the company itself.

If you are that solid in your beliefs that BB10 can turn a profit, I'm sure you can work on convincing enough investors to give it ago.

It'll be a lot quieter in here while all the business people are busy buying BlackBerry.

Posted via CB10
    11-11-17 12:34 PM
    I know the breakup is hard... it’s like having your longtime gf/bf break up with you and you can’t let go.

I too am guilty: I still have my Z10 and Z30 hanging around. Sometime I would boot them up to see if there’s a software update... or just to play around with the gestures. It feels like home!

But it’s time to move on! For some it takes more time than others... but you gotta be realistic. She/he is not coming back!
    11-11-17 01:09 PM
    My question is, why do you feel the need to come up with all these scenarios and examples to defend the future of BB10 to us? We don't care!
    11-11-17 01:12 PM
    Youse need to reread my post . Yes , Chen and Thurber have voiced support for BB10. Most of those statements were quite some time ago so perhaps things have changed , but in a 1/17/17 Financial Post article, Thurber confirmed BB10 support and that a new BB10 device was possible if they could make money from it , meet their customers' needs and find a way to do it technologically that makes sense. Of course that was 10 months ago...
    Yet in a. September 2017 UTB show (100th episode) Thurber confirmed a BB10 update but that a NIAP certification was the holdup and that it's in the strategy phase , meaning that BBis considering their options . As I said in the prior post , I don't think the way forward is via BB10 , not in its present form anyway
    11-11-17 01:20 PM
    Youse need to reread my post . Yes , Chen and Thurber have voiced support for BB10. Most of those statements were quite some time ago so perhaps things have changed , but in a 1/17/17 Financial Post article, Thurber confirmed BB10 support and that a new BB10 device was possible if they could make money from it , meet their customers' needs and find a way to do it technologically that makes sense. Of course that was 10 months ago...
    Yet in a. September 2017 UTB show (100th episode) Thurber confirmed a BB10 update but that a NIAP certification was the holdup and that it's in the strategy phase , meaning that BBis considering their options . As I said in the prior post , I don't think the way forward is via BB10 , not in its present form anyway
    Fyi, whenever someone says they are considering their options, it means they have already considered it and it's off the table.
    11-11-17 01:24 PM
    Thurber was talking about the 10.3.3 update that was held up by NAIP certification, wasn't he? That was a long time ago. I don't think he said anything about a BB10 update in the future.

Posted with my trusty Z10
    11-11-17 01:24 PM
    A USP of BB10's is it's ability to run Android apps. Unfortunately Blackberry can't update the ART , so I don't see a way forward for BB10 as it is. However, and this is conjecture on my part, BBOS, e.g. BB7 , doesn't have that problem. Perhaps Blackberry's plotting a update to BB7 . Sounds crazy and it would most definitely be expensive but consider the following. In the aforementioned UTB show, Thurber , while he didn't say how many BB10 users there were , did state that they were " incredibly loyal". He also volunteered that there were still " millions of BBOS users . Immediately after that , Thurber confirmed support for their BB customers but note that he didn't limit that statement to BB10. Just following the evidence and extrapolating from it!
    11-11-17 01:47 PM
    Adopter Thurber was talking about an update that they were working on then , which was two months ago . Go view the podcast on YouTube
    11-11-17 01:50 PM
    The same people who advocate some sort of minimal maintenance support for BB10 will be the first to ask when the updated features that are iOS and Android are going to be added. Whatever resources may be required to maintain it, you simply can't have thousands of developers working on Android and iOS and dozens on BB10 and hope to call them all smartphones going forward.
    11-11-17 02:10 PM
    A USP of BB10's is it's ability to run Android apps.
    Are you sure?

However, and this is conjecture on my part, BBOS, e.g. BB7 , doesn't have that problem. Perhaps Blackberry's plotting a update to BB7 . Sounds crazy and it would most definitely be expensive but consider the following. In the aforementioned UTB show, Thurber , while he didn't say how many BB10 users there were , did state that they were " incredibly loyal". He also volunteered that there were still " millions of BBOS users . Immediately after that , Thurber confirmed support for their BB customers but note that he didn't limit that statement to BB10. Just following the evidence and extrapolating from it!
    Ok, you are just having us on.
    11-11-17 02:51 PM
716 ... 1011121314 ...