The Avro project died as a result of massive costs piled up due to constantly changing requirements.
    That, plus the need for an interceptor pretty much died with the ICBM.
    glwerry likes this.
    11-01-17 05:24 PM
    You do realize, as I posted, that's a line from the movie, "Animal House," right?
    11-01-17 05:44 PM
    I have a Passport, I have a KeyOne. One account, 2 'phone numbers.
    As far as my business in concerned (Needing intuitive contacts management, email ease, writing in multiple languages without having to 'change language', dealing/reading/editing attachments etc - the Passport & BB10 is king. The Android device however has been a bit of a nightmare for me. Contacts listing completely fragmented, postal addresses, extensions, notes - nowhere to be found. Resident email client pathetically slow, - I could go on, - and I do recognise I'm still learning - but still , there is a definitive difference in class. e.g. BB10 maps/navigation blows my customers away. esp when they hear a British voice pronouncing Montreal street names in French - The screen size , amazing - the keyboard , nothing compares - the build, KeyOne back came off with a minor jolt in the first month - Passport? Yes, looks battered now (Nov 2014) But is still solid as anything - it has been USED... worldwide. The fact that PP was looking it's age and the battery was not as long lasting as before, were the principal reasons I 'upgraded' to KeyOne. Having been loyal to BB since 2004 (6750) - this is the first time I've been somewhat disappointed with my upgrade. However being the optimist that I am - I'll wait for the next 'real' keyboard (TCL?) Blackberry....
    11-01-17 05:59 PM
    That's AVRO Arrow.

I don't think the cancellation of the Avro Arrow and BB not being able to purchase Nortel assets are even remotely similar.
    The Avro project died as a result of massive costs piled up due to constantly changing requirements.

BB's issues were more related to delays in getting BB10 out.
    both are due to lack of back bones of canadian gov - afraid of out shining US for one and afraid of start trade war for the other... IMHO. (if BB got nortel assets, including patents, it would be much strong company... remember, jobs was envy of BB server farm... this is before the cloud took place in a big way.... BB server saved 9-11 and many other events).
    11-01-17 06:35 PM
    That, plus the need for an interceptor pretty much died with the ICBM.
    tell that to the procurement guys for CF 18, or even now for F35...dog fight still high up there... (check how many order of F35 on US budget? ha, even with trump "reduced" price).
    11-01-17 06:49 PM
    Hmm, time for us to log out eh!

Never knew Crackberry was only for "old users" with "better priced" and "launch day gears" only.
    You can stick around, we're tolerant.....
    11-01-17 06:52 PM
    The most we can hope for is that BlackBerry (yes the software company) implements more elements of BlackBerry 10 into their Android BlackBerry Launcher and suite of apps. There is a lot that can be done to customize Android and make everyone happy via options.
    11-01-17 07:04 PM
    You can stick around, we're tolerant.....
    Ah, so kind of you. You're so benevolent
    11-01-17 07:11 PM
    Ah, so kind of you. You're so benevolent
    Cool. Thanks you too...
    11-01-17 08:13 PM
    The most we can hope for is that BlackBerry (yes the software company) implements more elements of BlackBerry 10 into their Android BlackBerry Launcher and suite of apps. There is a lot that can be done to customize Android and make everyone happy via options.
    Or that Apple implement them on iOS! lol
    Dunt Dunt Dunt likes this.
    11-01-17 08:26 PM
    Sadly iOS seems to have more BB10 elements than Android does.
    Flatman, valer466 and rayporsche like this.
    11-01-17 08:36 PM
    Today I fired up my Passport SE to play around with while I was using my KEYone on back-to-back-to-back conference calls.

It was actually nice revisiting BB10 after I stopped using the Passport SE at the end of 2015 in favour of the Priv.

The Hub in BB10 is far superior to the Hub in Android and navigating around the OS still feels smooth.

All that being said, I cannot possibly use a BB10 device as a daily driver for the simple fact that my work no longer supports BB10 (nor BBOS) and the apps I need for my personal life and more importantly, my professional life, just aren't there.

If all I needed in my daily life were text and emails, I would no doubt still be using a BB10 device daily. IMO, nobody beats BB10 when it comes to basic mobile communication. Unfortunately, my needs go beyond just the basics so for that reason, I'm all in with BB Android.
    11-01-17 09:59 PM
    Sadly iOS seems to have more BB10 elements than Android does.
    Now wouldn't that be awesome if Android implemented gestures in its native OS? What say you, Android P?
    11-01-17 10:01 PM
    Hmm, time for us to log out eh!

Never knew Crackberry was only for "old users" with "better priced" and "launch day gears" only.
    CrackBerry is an open house for all types of BlackBerry fans... including unicorn riders and conspiracy theorists. 😀
    11-01-17 10:21 PM
    Now wouldn't that be awesome if Android implemented gestures in its native OS? What say you, Android P?
    Samsung is already on the job for the S9 without headphones and truly home-less button device. It's the same pattern every year, Apple launches, Samsung implements better next year. So thank Apple for being inspired and implementing gestures in their devices, leaving a hope for Android to catch up.

Just wish Android P gives more granular control to notifications in a sense that a message aggregator app like BB Hub, is able to implement replies to notifications of all apps without specific hub integration and having the app open in b/g. I'm aware the latest BB Hub on android does that to texts, but doesn't the Sms app still need to be open as an app by itself? (I may stand corrected )
    11-02-17 02:57 AM
    what's left of blackberry 10 is alive inside the iPhone x. How long until Apple hub? Apple core? haha
    11-02-17 03:51 AM
    Today I fired up my Passport SE to play around with while I was using my KEYone on back-to-back-to-back conference calls.

It was actually nice revisiting BB10 after I stopped using the Passport SE at the end of 2015 in favour of the Priv.

The Hub in BB10 is far superior to the Hub in Android and navigating around the OS still feels smooth.

All that being said, I cannot possibly use a BB10 device as a daily driver for the simple fact that my work no longer supports BB10 (nor BBOS) and the apps I need for my personal life and more importantly, my professional life, just aren't there.

If all I needed in my daily life were text and emails, I would no doubt still be using a BB10 device daily. IMO, nobody beats BB10 when it comes to basic mobile communication. Unfortunately, my needs go beyond just the basics so for that reason, I'm all in with BB Android.
    This was/is same for me. So goes life.
    Mcimac likes this.
    11-02-17 08:11 AM
    This was/is same for me. So goes life.
    Me too

Posted via CB10
    11-02-17 08:41 AM
    I'll always say this. I don't care if the device has the BlackBerry logo or name on it. It even have the apps of BlackBerry. The device will never be a true BlackBerry phone if BlackBerry didn't make it in house. Even iOs and Android don't even have native BBM hence why it looks crappy. Y'all can cry "BB10 is dead" etc. At the end of the day it's a "dead" OS that still shines brighter than any iOs and Android OS and it's a true BB that was produced by the first party and not no second or third.

Posted via CB10
    rayporsche, Mcimac and Qorax like this.
    11-02-17 09:13 AM
    I'll always say this. I don't care if the device has the BlackBerry logo or name on it. It even have the apps of BlackBerry. The device will never be a true BlackBerry phone if BlackBerry didn't make it in house. Even iOs and Android don't even have native BBM hence why it looks crappy. Y'all can cry "BB10 is dead" etc. At the end of the day it's a "dead" OS that still shines brighter than any iOs and Android OS and it's a true BB that was produced by the first party and not no second or third.

Posted via CB10
    BlackBerry hasn't made an in-house device in years. Even prior to the Curves and Bolds, every part of manufacturing has been farmed out to other companies.

They've all been built by either Wistron, Foxconn, or TCL.
    11-02-17 09:17 AM
    You know, that's a completely great idea.

You may have just posted the best idea in the entire thread.
    11-02-17 09:50 AM
    both are due to lack of back bones of canadian gov - afraid of out shining US for one and afraid of start trade war for the other... IMHO. (if BB got nortel assets, including patents, it would be much strong company... remember, jobs was envy of BB server farm... this is before the cloud took place in a big way.... BB server saved 9-11 and many other events).
    In my opinion that's a vast over-simplification.
    Perhaps "fear of outshining" the US may have played a small role, but in the case of the Avro Arrow the massive amounts of money spent due to scope creep is well documented. Also, as someone else has pointed out, the nature of the threat had changed - there are a pair of little-known radar lines across the middle of Canada that are tied into that era - in some cases radar installations that were built at huge cost were abandoned after only 3 to 4 years of operation, for that reason.

As for the Nortel issue, I didn't pay attention to any of that, and "remember, jobs was envy of BB server farm" just doesn't make any sense - I do not understand what you're trying to say.
    11-02-17 09:59 AM

Posted via CB10
    But nobody cares. Consumers don't care. Businesses don't care. Blackberry itself doesn't even care. Wake me up when the next phone is announced. 2015 and counting...
    11-02-17 10:20 AM
    and "remember, jobs was envy of BB server farm" just doesn't make any sense - I do not understand what you're trying to say.
    Jobs wanted control: independent from carrier with its own network and server farm...https://www.wired.com/2011/11/steve-jobs-iphone-no-carrier/%2Bsteve+jobs+want+apple+network&client=safari&rls =en&dcr=0&hl=en&ct=clnk]Steve Jobs Wanted iPhone on Its Own Network, Carrier-Free | WIRED[/url]
    a bit hard to find now for the achieve-- 10 years ago... BB got almost all of the pieces, including BIS in multiple countries at that time. As for nortel, i am sure you can google it and find it out...
    11-02-17 11:00 AM
    11-02-17 11:05 AM
716 ... 34567 ...