Post #70 .
    11-01-17 01:17 PM
    Post #70 .
    Thanks, sorry I missed that.

And that constitutes hope lol!?

Posted via CB10
    11-01-17 01:23 PM
    Not only is it sarcasm, but it's a line from "Animal House."
    See....now you get it....though I didn't realize Steve Jobs was that chubby back in his college days! (Nor did I realize he was stylin a 'fro).. .plenty of ex-frat houses for BB to pick from in Waterloo or London. Shall it be the blitz? or does Napoleon (Google) meet his Waterloo?
    rayporsche and Mattster723 like this.
    11-01-17 01:26 PM
    And when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor. . did we give up?
    ....and when Sony invaded with the first Droid Army of Walkmen......did we stop making hockey tape? No!
    Mattster723 likes this.
    11-01-17 01:31 PM
    We all know that BB10 is pretty much dead and the reasons as to why but as of today it still is working even with the known shortcomings yet for a group of us at this point in time which is the important one (the present) seems to be the way to go and we use it on a daily basis. It is not that we are in denial, resisting the future, fanboys, hardheaded, crazy, lethargic or that we simply need therapy or must move on, not at all, it is a matter of choice period.
    If this was the case, there would be very little discussion on the matter. I too agree wholeheartedly that people should use what works for them. Period.

But.....
    Most of these back and forths start with a statement similar to the OP - "we want BlackBerry to bring back BB10 despite the billions of dollars in losses, and despite the fact that BlackBerry has dropped hardware and moved on long ago".

Then we have the Chen bashers, blaming him for quitting the hardware business when he was hired specifically to do just that.

Then we have the pseudo-"developers" that claim a shoebox full of cash could resurrect BB10 for years to come.

Don't forget the "Android is for children who only play Candy Crush while using SnapChat" crowd.

Add to that, we also have the hypervisor, dual-boot, build Android over Neutrino folks.

This is what the reasonable, long-term, CB members typically take issue with. And let's not forget, that BlackBerry-branded devices ARE Android now, and have been exclusively for 2 years.
    Last edited by conite; 11-01-17 at 03:03 PM.
    11-01-17 01:31 PM
    So cool !!! hahahahaha
    11-01-17 01:32 PM
    Thanks, sorry I missed that.

And that constitutes hope lol!?

Posted via CB10
    Proof of the afterlife.
    11-01-17 01:32 PM
    Reality is what you see as a passenger in the 3rd row of a minivan.....leadership is being at the steering wheel and setting a course. - Captain Kirk (I think?)
    rayporsche likes this.
    11-01-17 01:36 PM
    Maybe this forum just needs closure. Like a funeral. Chen could say some nice words, (OK, some of it will make absolutely no sense and cause the stock to tank), we could light a nice little pyre, maybe burn some more money as a gesture.

I wonder if that would help?
    You'll always have "new users" come along with the recently purchased new $150 Passport or used $50 Z10.... wanting to know about UPDATES and how they can help contribute to this wonderful OSs continuation.
    11-01-17 01:37 PM
    You'll always have "new users" come along with the recently purchased new $150 Passport or used $50 Z10.... wanting to know about UPDATES and how they can help contribute to this wonderful OSs continuation.
    Plus chiming in about how expensive flagships have become and then complain about mid-tiers like KEYone and Motion at 1/2 price. Wanting factory stores in the shopping center around the corner and then bragging about buying devices from third parties while next complaining about warranty problems....
    11-01-17 01:48 PM
    I thought a started a thread so that people stop posting threads like this....
    Remember that World War ONE was labelled as "The War to End All Wars" ...
    11-01-17 01:49 PM
    $150 for a Passport? $50 for a z10? That's not a purchase, that's a B&E.
    11-01-17 02:01 PM
    It's cool if you like your 30 year old car. I've never owned a vehicle but I have a great appreciation for vintage machines and mechanical items. But the thing is, if that 30 year old car couldn't pass inspection or wasn't safe to drive on the highway or reliable enough to make longer trips when necessary, you might keep it around but if you wanted to take a trip, you would need something else.... BB10 is outdated and it's not coming back. People need to accept that it's not the vehicle that's going to take us on those long trips. It's not safe on the highway. It won't pass inspection. For those of you who want to drive it a few miles in the dead of night with the lights off, that's your prerogative. But it's time to accept that that's all you're going to get out of it at this point and very soon, not even that. I will be honest and say I don't like it anymore than yall. But I'm still getting an iPhone as soon as I can afford it. BB10 is now the ford pinto of the smartphone world.
    One loose thread in that argument though......someone came up with the brilliant innovation of the century.....it was called a mechanic.....so successful in fact that the manufacturers got into the repair/upkeep/maintenance business as well....modular spare parts when the old ones are showing signs of vulnerabilities....of course none of that is free....which is why they charge you for it. As could an smartphone OS owning software company charge for maintenance.
    rayporsche likes this.
    11-01-17 02:24 PM
    ...bb10 a ford pinto? uhhh.....it was Samsung phones that crashed and literally burned....don't lay that one on BB10.
    glwerry likes this.
    11-01-17 02:26 PM
    I thought a started a thread so that people stop posting threads like this....
    - Alphabet Chairman, parent company of Google.
    11-01-17 02:32 PM
    Samsung had a battery issue but the OS is still 100% functional. BB10 does not function at the same level as iOS or android. Yes, there are people who could maintain BB10 and yes BlackBerry could charge for it. But to them, it's not worth it. They fired most if not all of their BB10 staff. They have not released a new BB10 device in 3 years and since they sold their hardware business, they're clearly not going to. There is no reason for them to allocate resources to a commercially dead platform. And BB10 is commercially dead.
    11-01-17 02:32 PM
    Plus chiming in about how expensive flagships have become and then complain about mid-tiers like KEYone and Motion at 1/2 price. Wanting factory stores in the shopping center around the corner and then bragging about buying devices from third parties while next complaining about warranty problems....
    Hmm, time for us to log out eh!

Never knew Crackberry was only for "old users" with "better priced" and "launch day gears" only.
    11-01-17 02:34 PM
    If this was the case, there would be very little discussion on the matter. I too agree wholeheartedly that people should use what works for them. Period.

But.....
    Most of these back and forths start with a statement similar to the OP - we want BlackBerry to bring back BB10 despite the billions of dollars in losses, and despite the fact that BlackBerry has dropped hardware and moved on long ago.

Then we have the Chen bashers, blaming him for quitting the hardware business when he was hired specifically to do just that.

Then we have the pseudo-"developers" that claim a shoebox full of cash could resurrect BB10 for years to come.

Don't forget the "Android is for children who only play Candy Crush while using SnapChat" crowd.

Add to that, we also have the hypervisor, dual-boot, build Android over Neutrino folks.

This is what the reasonable, long-term, CB members typically take issue with. And let's not forget, that BlackBerry-branded devices ARE Android now, and have been exclusively for 2 years.
    you forgot conspericy theory of both Canadian and US gov: (1) not allow BB to buy Nortel assets (2) FBI/CIA want wire tap capable... just like arvo arrow.... (funny, many of BBers worship arvo arrow start from the beginning... I guess the downfall of BB showed some how showed similar event.. BB crash after the block of Nortel assets purchasing).
    BigBadWulf likes this.
    11-01-17 02:48 PM
    Proof of the afterlife.
    It's possible that we're already dead and in hell - condemned to read this thread forever and ever.
    11-01-17 03:05 PM
    It's possible that we're already dead and in hell - condemned to read this thread forever and ever.
    If you look up at just the right angle you can see Brutus, Cassius, and Judas in the ice.
    BigBadWulf and Thud Hardsmack like this.
    11-01-17 03:11 PM
    For the last time....you said that the last time.... and then pop goes the balloon, BB has a modest bug/fix release...or is that gum on your face instead? Who else in lollipop land is even doing this?

50k USD *100 developers (developers that expensive/affordable in BlackBerry HomeTown, govt healthcare, lower cost of living etc.). This aint Kansas Dorothy (uhh I mean Seatle or NewYork or even Toronto or Vancouver ...hey move to London or Kingston Ontario, might even get a cheaper labour pool, decent city, lower overhead costs) = 5million (okay double that for overhead) 10million a year.....works out to $10 per device, if only 1million devices active (or more)..$20 annual os-upgrade /security patch fees . 50% margin Perfectly doable, minus executive salaries of course ...but you can take them off of the larger business.
    200 developers 10million double that 20million (assume 1 million devices active or more) costs, want to recoup $40million, that's $40 per year os /security update costs (spread over 1million devices)...still reasonable. Sell a few more new devices there you go, maintain a base for future years. A modest bare-bones plan, that gets apps back and some enhancements.

BB10 Dead? Only if BB ,Governments and BigCorps want BB to deliberately kill it off, and BB doesn't have the guts to slug it out with the Google Gansta Android-monopoly Racket, or the Apple Boys Gang.
    Could you please tell me where I can hire software developers in North America for $50K. In our state we are paying more than $50K for starting teachers (after benefits). I am always looking for good system level software engineers. Even in Canada with their great R&D tax credits our cost per developer are way more than $50K. By the time you pay a salary high enough to attract a developer and then taxes and benefits you can easily double your estimate. Even if you have the budget your next problem is finding engineers talented enough to do mobile OS software engineering. Finding this type of talent is very hard. Why do you think Apple, Google and Microsoft was swarming around Waterloo while BlackBerry let the BB10 engineers go.

Former BB10 engineers now have stable high paying jobs, why would they come back to BlackBerry. They won't so where do you find several hundred high quality software developer's? You can go overseas, but locations with great software engineering talent are already crowded. We have a large development center in India and the competition for talent is fierce.
    app_Developer and BigBadWulf like this.
    11-01-17 03:20 PM
    And when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor. . did we give up?
    did they germans bomb Pearl Harbor?? The Japs did silly, it truly was a sad day in history but we americans rose up and kicked as s on two fronts
    anon(2313227) likes this.
    11-01-17 03:31 PM
    I’m kind of sad people haven’t watched Animal House and didn’t get that reference!

On the 50k salary, that is absurd. Google has an office there now. Anyone who is willing to take 50k instead of going across the street to Google is insane. Do you really want 100 criminally insane people building your product?
    11-01-17 04:04 PM
    I’m kind of sad people haven’t watched Animal House and didn’t get that reference!

On the 50k salary, that is absurd. Google has an office there now. Anyone who is willing to take 50k instead of going across the street to Google is insane. Do you really want 100 criminally insane people building your product?
    NOw that you said that yes it was on Animal House what a classic, lol im old im almost 56
    11-01-17 04:12 PM
    you forgot conspericy theory of both Canadian and US gov: (1) not allow BB to buy Nortel assets (2) FBI/CIA want wire tap capable... just like arvo arrow.... (funny, many of BBers worship arvo arrow start from the beginning... I guess the downfall of BB showed some how showed similar event.. BB crash after the block of Nortel assets purchasing).
    That's AVRO Arrow.

I don't think the cancellation of the Avro Arrow and BB not being able to purchase Nortel assets are even remotely similar.
    The Avro project died as a result of massive costs piled up due to constantly changing requirements.

BB's issues were more related to delays in getting BB10 out.
    11-01-17 04:52 PM
716 ... 23456 ...