Dear BlackBerry,

We are your loyal and dedicated patrons of your devices. We believe in BlackBerry, and BB10 namely because of its security, privacy, and the fact that it gave us an option.

Please don't kill the OS. It is fantastic and it's worth a second look.

While the direction to move to Android was understandable for the sake of the "app gap," makes little sense due to the direct argument in underlying principles: BlackBerry, a mobile and enterprise security company and Google, an advertising company. While you may have found a way to secure the Android phone, make it enterprise grade, the fact of the matter is that the principal of privacy, who we call, who we know, what we do, where we go are all for sale on the Android platforms.

The BB10 die-hards know this, some have refused to use Android apps due to the unnecessary privileges requested. Others utilize APM or Ops App to control these permissions.

Others, hacked Google Playstore to work and have worked around Google services altogether.

But with BB10 at least we have a choice. It could have gone even further, natively controlling Android app permissions. Saying be damned with the Playstore and providing a hacked variant of the apps, bending them to the privacy needs of the users.

After so much investment, and so much loss, it wasn't that BB10 wasn't a great OS, It still is relevant. It's that it didn't go far enough!

At the very least, give us the choice to give our entire identify, our lives to Google. Return to your roots and give us a secure phone that is not just private in name, but actually private, because the principles of the underlying company, cares.

All, with your comments, we can amend or append. I'd like to hear what you would say.

Posted via CB10
    10-31-17 11:03 AM
    The decision to end BB10 was made back in 2013 - but because BB still had lots of inventory and purchase commitments, they had to keep making BB10 phones through 2014. But it's long over now, and isn't coming back.

BB already knows that BB10 still has a relatively few hardcore fans who want more BB10 - but they DON'T CARE. BB10 lost about $10 billion dollars for BB and they aren't going to spend any more.

It's time to let it go.
    10-31-17 11:11 AM
    10-31-17 11:17 AM
    Your wasting your time....

Do a search on CrackBerry and you'll see the answer to why.
    anon(2313227) and Mecca EL like this.
    10-31-17 11:23 AM
    BB10 still works and BlackBerry hasn't announced plans to shut down services like BB World so you might as well continue enjoying your device.

The decision to end BB10 was made back in 2013 - but because BB still had lots of inventory and purchase commitments, they had to keep making BB10 phones through 2014. But it's long over now, and isn't coming back.
    De-emphasized in favor of software perhaps but certainly not "end". They were already out of the consumer market by the time Chen joined, had BB10 found a sustainable niche in enterprise I'm sure we'd still see the odd BB10 device every now and then.
    Qorax likes this.
    10-31-17 11:25 AM
    Time to fire up some popcorn!

Posted via CB10
    10-31-17 11:28 AM
    Take a look at the DOZENS of similar threads around and the answers.

BB10 is DEAD, DEAD, DEAD.

It's NOT coming back. BB had shopped it around earlier, offering licensing opportunities to other hardware vendors.
    NOBODY SNAPPED THAT UP.

It's DEAD!

BB has, for a year or more, been publically proclaiming that they are:
    1) a SOFTWARE company
    2) OUT of the hardware business

Give it up, IT'S DEAD.
    bobshine and andy957 like this.
    10-31-17 11:35 AM
    It is not dead till BB says so, explicitly.
    10-31-17 11:42 AM
    I love BB10! Chen? Are you there?

Posted via CB10
    10-31-17 11:51 AM
    Its not dead they just bought a android device and want to convince you too. Don't get fooled. Its dead when bb says its dead

Posted via CB10
    10-31-17 11:51 AM
    BB10 still works and BlackBerry hasn't announced plans to shut down services like BB World so you might as well continue enjoying your device.

De-emphasized in favor of software perhaps but certainly not "end". They were already out of the consumer market by the time Chen joined, had BB10 found a sustainable niche in enterprise I'm sure we'd still see the odd BB10 device every now and then.
    I would agree, I think you could say the company changed direction by the end of 2013. By the end 2014 the decision to end BB10 had been made. Around the same time they decided to use Android for one last chance with phones.

As Troy pointed out Chen inherited tons of BB10 phones and parts inventory held by their contract manufacturers. He either had to sell BB10 phones or dump all the inventory at a major loss. Chen could not dump the inventory, the majority of BlackBerry's cash was security for the parts inventory. Thor left a huge mess with the inventory that hamstrung BlackBerry for years.
    andy957 likes this.
    10-31-17 11:54 AM
    I would agree, I think you could say the company changed direction by the end of 2013. By the end 2014 the decision to end BB10 had been made. Around the same time they decided to use Android for one last chance with phones.

As Troy pointed out Chen inherited tons of BB10 phones and parts inventory held by their contract manufacturers. He either had to sell BB10 phones or dump all the inventory at a major loss. Chen could not dump the inventory, the majority of BlackBerry's cash was security for the parts inventory. Thor left a huge mess with the inventory that hamstrung BlackBerry for years.
    Agreed the inventory definitely didn't help things, I think what we (myself included) also overlook is that they also made use of SOC's that likely required new purchases (the Snapdragon 400, 801, and probably some 800's for the Z50/Ontario prototypes) and struck various BB10 specific partnerships in 2014.

Devices were no longer the main priority for BlackBerry but if BB10 could still work as a smaller, more focused OS I don't see why they wouldn't have kept it around.
    Qorax likes this.
    10-31-17 12:15 PM
    The decision to transition away from BB10 and phone manufacturing was made by the board of BlackBerry before they even brought Chen on as CEO. Chen was tasked with managing that transition, and he has done so quite fantastically.

BB10 will fade away into history along with Palm/webOS, Windows Mobile, and others.

Asking, petitioning, or begging BlackBerry to invest one more Canadian penny in BB10 is futile. BlackBerry (the Canadian company) is not a phone company, it is a software and services company. And they can only stay in business by providing software and services their customers want. Nobody (statistically speaking) wants BB10, so they moved on. It's not personal, it's business.

If you still enjoy and prefer them, then by all means please continue to use BB10 devices. Nobody is stopping you. Use what you want and be happy. Barring a miraculous turn of events, such as a third party company with mountains of cash to burn and no interest in making a profit licensing BB10 from BlackBerry and producing new devices, BB10 is - for all intents and purposes - a dead platform. It's important to understand and accept this.
    10-31-17 12:18 PM
    ++ for post
    anon(8679041) likes this.
    10-31-17 12:25 PM
    Oh for God's sake let it stop
    anon(9803228) and Mecca EL like this.
    10-31-17 01:06 PM
    It is not dead till BB says so, explicitly.
    I guess Jimmy Hoffa is still alive then.
    10-31-17 01:09 PM
    OP, you have not make a case what is in it for BB to stay in business. in business sense, not emotional sense. Please come back with return of investment, time table, target market, potential risk benefit analysis, etc. most importantly, the strength of the company, you will need at least 3 people with key tech strength in various area plus one leader of the group.. out lay the cost vs time line for investment to recover, and potential competitor, partner, volume forecast, production readiness, launch coverage, upgrading path... etc.etc. and where is funding and how do you pay for it (burn rate) until profitable... If you have a good case, like the subscription model of BIS in early BB days, Chen might listen (may be out of his depth to get into hardware/software integration, but you might want few millioon to buy him out in the budget, just like T.H). IMHO.
    glwerry and mbirth like this.
    10-31-17 03:13 PM
    I keep my all bb10 device until it's works because android have to many security issues with manufacturer don't follows android security bulletin. And playstore are often infected by malware.

If Bb10 comes make a come back it would be nice. Because we don't need a lot of apps but good apps and privacy.

Most of apps can be replace with mobile website

Love Peace and share
    Qorax and rayporsche like this.
    10-31-17 03:20 PM
    Unfortunately, your cries are falling on deaf ears. BB10 phones are done. gonzo. finito. au revoir. sayonara. Move on. Save your breath.
    andy957 likes this.
    10-31-17 04:22 PM
    I keep my all bb10 device until it's works because android have to many security issues with manufacturer don't follows android security bulletin. And playstore are often infected by malware.

If Bb10 comes make a come back it would be nice. Because we don't need a lot of apps but good apps and privacy.

Most of apps can be replace with mobile website

Love Peace and share
    Not on the BB10 mobile stock browser. It was glitching for me on my last two BB10 devices that I just used for CB on wifi that I stopped using them.

With this latest Krack and no comment from BB, it looks fatal, deathlike for BB10....
    10-31-17 04:31 PM
    Not on the BB10 mobile stock browser. It was glitching for me on my last two BB10 devices that I just used for CB on wifi that I stopped using them.

With this latest Krack and no comment from BB, it looks fatal, deathlike for BB10....
    I think you must reload with auto loader. Or made clean cache because for the stock browser works very fine on q10 classic and my passport. I use the last update 10.3.3. I know bb10 in few year would be dead but It was a great os with no marketing. It's like os/2 when we have windows 3.11

Android could be very great if the apps and business model are only for tracking your activity for publicity

Love Peace and share
    Qorax likes this.
    10-31-17 05:12 PM
    It seems like the more that people are told BB10 is EOL, the more threads like this pop up. It really doesn't matter if BlackBerry has made an official announcement. They haven't made any BB10 devices since 2014 and the OS itself is rapidly decaying with most developers abandoning the platform and stock apps deteriorating, the end is nigh.
    10-31-17 05:22 PM
    It seems like the more that people are told BB10 is EOL, the more threads like this pop up. It really doesn't matter if BlackBerry has made an official announcement. They haven't made any BB10 devices since 2014 and the OS itself is rapidly decaying with most developers abandoning the platform and stock apps deteriorating, the end is nigh.
    I think the more obvious this becomes, the stronger the denial gets.
    10-31-17 05:28 PM
    ...because for the stock browser works very fine on q10 classic and my passport...
    Absolutely agreed. Mine's working perfectly fine - and with blazing speed as well. Viva la Passport! This is one OS to die for

Open Letter to BlackBerry, Let's Talk About BB10-blackberry-screenshot2.jpg
    10-31-17 05:52 PM
    I think the more obvious this becomes, the stronger the denial gets.
    When even BlackBerry stopped drinking their own Kool-Aid, it's time.
    10-31-17 05:55 PM
716 123 ...