But...the OP is a freeloader

Via Pasta CB10
    Well, you get what you pay for. There is plenty of free storage available if you don't mind the limitations. Personally, I get tired of moving my data around and having to delete stuff to stay inside the limits.

< $6 per month for1TB is enough for me to stop worrying about my data (other than music, photos and video, which are stored separately.).

Posted via CB10
    07-14-16 11:29 AM
    Guys, I've ended up using a combination of Box and MEGA. I am using MEGA for photos and videos, but it doesn't seem to be automatically uploading photos anymore... or doesn't seem to unless it does it in the background, and I'm using Box exclusively for photos only due to the 350MB file limit.

What I have is a home NAS assembled from spare junk, a SFTP server and a free dynamic DNS: cheap compared to other setups, not as fast as unsecured FTP/HTTP (on a 10mbit up connection) and, again, tough to effectively secure (about as well as you can secure SSH).
    But this is definitely the best way to go, and this is something I'll probably look into at some point. Maybe I've got enough equipment lying around. I think I still have a socket 939 dual core CPU and motherboard, along with 2GB of RAM for it. Do you think this will be powerful enough for this? It's only got 6 SATA ports, and 2 IDE channels.
    If I recall though, I think it also had dual integrated Gigabit Ethernet, a first of its kind. Don't suppose this will really help though when our connection upload speed maxes out at 16Mbit!
    07-15-16 08:37 PM
    Well, I never read the notice either, so I have to spend the next couple of weeks moving files from OneDrive. I use two other products more often: Dropbox and Box. What made the latter a really great value is that almost five years ago, Box offered free 50GB of storage for hp TouchPad owners. Though that device is now a heavy relic, I still enjoy my cavernous Box storage!

Posted via CB10 | SQC100-4 Classic in Cobalt Blue
    07-15-16 08:54 PM
    Well, I never read the notice either, so I have to spend the next couple of weeks moving files from OneDrive. I use two other products more often: Dropbox and Box. What made the latter a really great value is that almost five years ago, Box offered free 50GB of storage for hp TouchPad owners. Though that device is now a heavy relic, I still enjoy my cavernous Box storage!
    5 years?! And Box still didn't slash it like Microsucks did?

Here's what Microsoft had (they've already re-worded this due to massive user backlash) to say for themselves...

Since we started to roll out unlimited cloud storage to Office 365 consumer subscribers, a small number of users backed up numerous PCs and stored entire movie collections and DVR recordings. In some instances, this exceeded 75 TB per user or 14,000 times the average. Instead of focusing on extreme backup scenarios, we want to remain focused on delivering high-value productivity and collaboration experiences that benefit the majority of OneDrive users.

It was a difficult business decision that came with careful analysis and thought. However, these types of decisions are never easy. We overcommitted with our free storage limits and we want to focus on delivering high-value productivity and collaboration experiences that benefit the majority of our users.
    Yeah, yeah they're obviously going to blame the users for it rather than take responsibility for this. They can take their OneDrive and shove it!
    Avenzuno likes this.
    07-15-16 09:18 PM
    But this is definitely the best way to go, and this is something I'll probably look into at some point. Maybe I've got enough equipment lying around. I think I still have a socket 939 dual core CPU and motherboard, along with 2GB of RAM for it. Do you think this will be powerful enough for this? It's only got 6 SATA ports, and 2 IDE channels.
    If I recall though, I think it also had dual integrated Gigabit Ethernet, a first of its kind. Don't suppose this will really help though when our connection upload speed maxes out at 16Mbit!
    My setup is on a bottom-of-the-barrel (1GHz single core Marvell chip, 256MB RAM) two-bay D-Link NAS running third party firmware and some spare Hitachi drives, you should be fine with some slim Linux distro on your old machine. Content is served over Samba or SFTP, and it's good enough to stream videos over the home network (Gigabit). As well, there's a very slim HTTP server for the web admin UI, and a Transmission client.
    07-15-16 09:34 PM
    My setup is on a bottom-of-the-barrel (1GHz single core Marvell chip, 256MB RAM) two-bay D-Link NAS running third party firmware and some spare Hitachi drives, you should be fine with some slim Linux distro on your old machine. Content is served over Samba or SFTP, and it's good enough to stream videos over the home network (Gigabit). As well, there's a very slim HTTP server for the web admin UI, and a Transmission client.
    Marvell made some killer processors. Old HW lasts forever. We just retired a Dell PowerEdge 750 after many years of great service. And by retired I mean just powered off, as its purpose was virtualized on a hypervisor. Damn thing still works - gotta ask the bossman if I can take it home. ;-)

Posted via CB10
    07-15-16 09:42 PM
    Would like to add that using BlackBerry Link on my computer gives my as much storage as I need. I only need to be sure to keep the files organized and labeled so I know what's what and where. This is my ultimate resource.

Posted via CB10
    07-15-16 11:23 PM
    Would like to add that using BlackBerry Link on my computer gives my as much storage as I need. I only need to be sure to keep the files organized and labeled so I know what's what and where. This is my ultimate resource.
    As mentioned in my OP, BlackBerry Link does not work in our double-firewalled environment. Furthermore, I'd imagine you'd need the computer to be switched on anytime you wanted to access files. Can you confirm this?

If so, it's not ideal for me, as I'd need access on demand, regardless whether the PC running Link is switched on or not, therefore an always-on server or cloud storage solution is better.
    07-16-16 09:10 PM
    As mentioned in my OP, BlackBerry Link does not work in our double-firewalled environment. Furthermore, I'd imagine you'd need the computer to be switched on anytime you wanted to access files. Can you confirm this?

If so, it's not ideal for me, as I'd need access on demand, regardless whether the PC running Link is switched on or not, therefore an always-on server or cloud storage solution is better.
    That's correct your computer would need to be always on and mine is. I can also access my computer using Teamviewer just in case.
    Sorry I didn't catch that about the firewall.

Posted via CB10
    07-16-16 11:19 PM
    That's correct your computer would need to be always on and mine is. I can also access my computer using Teamviewer just in case.
    Sorry I didn't catch that about the firewall.
    No worries. I just can't live with the idea of punching holes in firewalls and having a hard disk that's spinning all the time on a regularly used PC. With a dedicated server, I wouldn't be so concerned as they can usually do RAID redundancy across multiple disks, so you wouldn't lose your data (or your PC) in the event that the hard disk fails.

I'm still having a fun time trying to get MEGA to sync photos and videos, as it just doesn't want to at all. I'm using Box to sync photos in the meantime, but it only syncs new photos, not old ones. Until I can get this working, I manaually backed up all the old photos and videos onto a spare SD card for safe keeping.
    07-24-16 12:52 PM
35 12