Ever since I had started using BlackBerry 10, I had it linked to my OneDrive account which was a free 30GB account.

I've learned that today, they are going to slash the account storage to a pathetic 5GB. What hurts me even more, is that back in January, there was an option which could be activated, that would allow you to keep this storage. Did OneDrive tell me about this? NO!

This is not good enough, I will be downloading all my current data, and closing my OneDrive account. I need to find an alternative service which offers a bare minimum of 10GB.

The reason I've posted this in the BlackBerry 10 section, is because the service must also offer a mobile app which is compatible with BlackBerry 10. Having a native one would be a bonus, but this is not essential for me, as long as the Android app is high quality, supports the microSD card and does not have any problems running on the Android Runtime.

Furthermore, the app must also support instant camera backup of images and videos.

We can't use BlackBerry Blend because incoming connections are not permitted by our hardware firewall (with good reason!).

Can anybody suggest any alternatives? What are you using/migrating to?
    Avenzuno likes this.
    07-12-16 05:48 AM
    Google Drive in combination with PlayCloud 10 http://appworld.blackberry.com/webst...ntent/19042045 ? Or in combination with Yandex(WebDAV).

Via Pasta CB10
    Last edited by tollfeeder; 07-12-16 at 06:49 AM.
    07-12-16 06:32 AM
    It was an announcement but obviously you didn't read that on the tech forums, twitter, etc. Or you didn't open OneDrive on the computer lately.

I was and was click on the link where I needed to inform microsoft that I want my OneDrive account to remain 30 GB. This was actual month or so, before. For a limited time was that actual but can't remember for how long.

PlayCloud really doing job fine with google drive, and also cloud.mail.ru will give you 100 GB ( at least I have such option, for free) with android app and option for streaming videos directly online using app and automatic backup of the photos.
    07-12-16 07:11 AM
    MEGA works very good, IMHO, and you get 50 GB on free accounts. There's an android portes app for it on BBW, although it's a bit dated. I'd recommend the Beta one on Amazon App Store or even better, the most recent one from Google Play Store runs quite good. Both these last ones have the option for automatic upload of pictures, but I haven't tried it, so can't comment on it. For general cloud use it has served me well, I've moved much of my stuff, precisely from OneDrive.

Likewise, as mentioned, Google Drive with PlayCloud 10 is a good combination. Come to think of it, BOX might also offer you something interesting and there's native app for it, why don't you give it a look?

Posted with my powerful and masterful  Passport!
    07-12-16 07:47 AM
    It was an announcement but obviously you didn't read that on the tech forums, twitter, etc. Or you didn't open OneDrive on the computer lately.
    That's because I didn't have the time (at the time) to trawl through tech forums. I have been a student for the past few years, and this year was the final year so I had to stay focused. I have not really been active around here much either. On top of that, I was also trying (and failing) to keep my day job. I only accessed my OneDrive exclusively from the Z10 throughout this time. Now, with no more University nor job commitments, I have some time to myself.

Perhaps back in January, an email from Microsoft would have been nice, something along the lines of "Hey, do you actually still need this storage?".
    Instead, they email me when it's too late , and my storage is going to be reduced regardless. No way, they've shattered my trust, I don't want any more OneDrive whatsoever, and I most certainly will not be getting Windows 10.

MEGA works very good, IMHO, and you get 50 GB on free accounts. There's an android portes app for it on BBW, although it's a bit dated. I'd recommend the Beta one on Amazon App Store or even better, the most recent one from Google Play Store runs quite good. Both these last ones have the option for automatic upload of pictures, but I haven't tried it, so can't comment on it. For general cloud use it has served me well, I've moved much of my stuff, precisely from OneDrive.

Likewise, as mentioned, Google Drive with PlayCloud 10 is a good combination. Come to think of it, BOX might also offer you something interesting and there's native app for it, why don't you give it a look?

I am probably going to end up grabbing the official MEGA app from the Play store. Shame about the outdated AppWorld version, and the trashy Amazon BETA version. MEGA seems to know what they're doing, apart from the dated app on AppWorld, and it's good to hear that their later apps can do automatic camera backup, but whether it will work okay on the Android runtime...
    I have already began migrating my files from OneDrive to MEGA, although its web-interface seems a bit slow and unresponsive. I hope their app is better!

Box seems to be more focused strictly at business users. There's no free storage at all, and although they have a BlackBerry 10 native app, I don't think it's worth it and I probably couldn't afford the subscription.

EDIT
    Nope, I was wrong, Box just takes you to the business plans by default, they do give you 10GB for free on a personal plan. But... you can't upload files exceeding 250MB! So, Box have ruled themselves out, along with OneDrive and GoogleDrive.
    Last edited by Someone7272; 07-12-16 at 09:59 AM. Reason: Box is actually free... my bad!
    07-12-16 09:48 AM
    There was an option to keep 30 gb account?!?!!!!

Anyway, Mega is very good

Posted via CB10
    07-12-16 09:49 AM
    What about Dropbox ?

Posted via CB10
    07-12-16 10:29 AM
    I pay for Web hosting and have my own webserver & mailserver. It costs about $150/yr to maintain the domain name and hosting, but well worth the privacy. Unlimited storage and no upload limits.

Posted via CB10
    07-12-16 10:45 AM
    There was an option to keep 30 gb account?!?!!!!

Anyway, Mega is very good
    They didn't tell you either? They sure kept it very quiet, seems they did not want anybody to know about the option to keep the existing bonus account storage.

What about Dropbox ?
    OneDrive is about to shrink your account storage to 5GB... what are the alternatives?-dropbox-free-signup.jpg
    07-12-16 10:57 AM
    They didn't tell you either? They sure kept it very quiet, seems they did not want anybody to know about the option to keep the existing bonus account storage.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Dropbox-Free-Signup.jpg 
Views:	1202 
Size:	16.7 KB 
ID:	403842
    I'm not sure when OneDrive asked about it either, even while logging in from a PC. Sometimes, I would use OneDrive at my former job and never noticed them asking. Like you, I only got the email when it was too late, so that's when I began turning to MEGA, it's a fine replacement, IMHO.

Dropbox offers very little storage for free, that's why I didn't even suggest it. Let me know if the automatic uploads work on MEGA, good luck!

07-12-16 11:20 AM
    Last I heard they were going to do that but then decided to scrap that plan and left things as they were.

UPDATE!!
    I just got the emailed notice today. So as it was we had 15 gb of storage and if you had the mobile app installed on your phone you got an additional 15 gb to make a total of 30gb.

So now I will have just 5 gb? Sucks bad!!!!

Posted via CB10
    Attachment 403895
    Last edited by The_Passporter; 07-13-16 at 03:08 PM.
    07-12-16 12:15 PM
    I understand your situation Someone7272, and I am mostly all day busy.

But I am using news feed gReader on my Q5 where I have subscribed on many important sites, and am always getting the latest news. No need to search for them. And in a few minutes, couple a times per day I am checking whats new.

That's how I was informed about this microsoft announcement.

OneDrive is about to shrink your account storage to 5GB... what are the alternatives?-onedrive.png

P.S. When I heard that Kim Dot Com have sold Mega to some chinese or taiwan dangerous businessman, and that Mega is not anymore Kim"s property, I decided to close my account. With such man on the head of Mega, I don't know where tomorrow can end my files, because his business was always suspicious. Gangsters are always dangerous
    07-12-16 07:02 PM
    The email I've received on 21th april this year. And opt-in offer was ended at 31th january.

OneDrive is about to shrink your account storage to 5GB... what are the alternatives?-onedrive-email-21.4.2016.jpg
    07-12-16 08:39 PM
    Sizable free storage, automatic camera backup and BB10 support? That's a tall order.

Of the services mentioned, Mega is your best bet, but that isn't saying much.

Frankly, you'd be better served by hosting your own Nextcloud on a Linux box, but you've already ruled out self-hosting.
    07-12-16 09:12 PM
    i would sya, box is good bet as well. not that much space, bus till
    07-13-16 03:32 AM
    I'm not sure when OneDrive asked about it either, even while logging in from a PC. Sometimes, I would use OneDrive at my former job and never noticed them asking. Like you, I only got the email when it was too late, so that's when I began turning to MEGA, it's a fine replacement, IMHO.

Dropbox offers very little storage for free, that's why I didn't even suggest it. Let me know if the automatic uploads work on MEGA, good luck!
    Wasn't just me then! I don't feel so bad now. Fonund that the current MEGA Android app of the Google Play store isn't actually too bad, it can even partially interface with BlackBerry 10's native file manager. The MEGA app can access the BlackBerry 10 file manager, but not the other way round, like with OneDrive, Box, Dropbox native apps.
    Already managed to get the camera backup working on MEGA, and it seems to be doing its job.

OneDrive is about to shrink your account storage to 5GB... what are the alternatives?-img_20160713_095317.png

This is the initial photo and video sync, so it's obviously very large. You'll need to manually set your camera folder which you want to sync to MEGA. Not yet sure if this works from a camera event which immediately triggers an upload, or whether the app simply polls the camera folder every so often. Upload speed could be better, however I think this is a limitation from the 3G network (still no 4G in my area right now), I'm so glad I have unlimited data!

Now if they reduce the limit from 15 to 5gb then would we still get to add the 15gb from the mobile app to total 20gb??
    No. Also, check that attachment, it doesn't seem to be working.

When I heard that Kim Dot Com have sold Mega to some chinese or taiwan dangerous businessman, and that Mega is not anymore Kim"s property, I decided to close my account. With such man on the head of Mega, I don't know where tomorrow can end my files, because his business was always suspicious. Gangsters are always dangerous
    Asian gangsters or not, they're still offering the best value service for free, with a free 50GB, plus mobile app with automatic backup, and even mandatory encryption. It's not like they're gonna find me and have me whacked!

Frankly, you'd be better served by hosting your own Nextcloud on a Linux box, but you've already ruled out self-hosting.
    Yes, you're right, self-hosting is probably the best way forward. However it very expensive upfront, also with our double-firewalled network, this would be very difficult to set up, and even harder to properly secure, especially if it means punching holes in the firewalls. Furthermore, our upload speed isn't very good, I think it's about 18Mb/s so it probably isn't sufficient for hosting files with.

It's something I will probably look into eventually, but right now I effectively just need something to keep me going for the meantime.
    Last edited by Someone7272; 07-13-16 at 05:56 AM.
    07-13-16 04:41 AM
    Every now and then Microsoft does something that really makes you hate them. It usually takes a big customer backlash to make them change course. But they are set on doing this because they want everyone paying for Office 365 subscriptions, which also happen to give you extra storage.
    07-13-16 06:17 AM
    Every now and then Microsoft does something that really makes you hate them. It usually takes a big customer backlash to make them change course. But they are set on doing this because they want everyone paying for Office 365 subscriptions, which also happen to give you extra storage.
    And I ain't paying. I have Office 2010 Professional, so therefore have no need for Office 365 for the foreseeable future. I hate the way they've done this. It won't suprise me if even those who opted to keep their free 30GB accounts still end up having it reduced within the next 2 years.

Microsoft can't see the light at the end of the tunnel and I think they might be strapped for cash. These bad decisions they're making is only digging the hole deeper.

Probably won't be considering any new Microsoft products for a long time as they have been consistently awful with keeping customers on side - first Windows 8, then Windows 8.1, then Windows 10, then attempting to force me to "upgrade" Windows 7 to Windows 10 (had to change a hidden group policy setting to stop this), and finally OneDrive minus 25GB!

Is John Chen pulling strings at Microsoft now too? Oh no wait, at least they still support their older products.
    Last edited by Someone7272; 07-13-16 at 08:46 AM. Reason: Upgrade... quote!
    07-13-16 08:45 AM
    OneDrive is about to shrink your account storage to 5GB... what are the alternatives?-img_20160713_105656.png

BlackBerry Passport Sliver Edition
    07-13-16 09:57 AM
    I love Office 365, and paid subscriptions of $69.00 a year for personal (all Office 2016 apps on one computer + one tablet + one phone) comes with 1TB of storage on OneDrive. That's about as good a deal as exists, in my experience.

Posted via CB10
    07-14-16 10:41 AM
    I love Office 365, and paid subscriptions of $69.00 a year for personal (all Office 2016 apps on one computer + one tablet + one phone) comes with 1TB of storage on OneDrive. That's about as good a deal as exists, in my experience.

Posted via CB10
    For 1TB of storage, the office 365 subscription bring huge value. I had been on it for over a year now
    07-14-16 10:49 AM
    For 1TB of storage, the office 365 subscription bring huge value. I had been on it for over a year now
    Also, OneDrive works great on BB10, as does Box and DropBox.

Posted via CB10
    Avenzuno likes this.
    07-14-16 10:55 AM
    Also, OneDrive works great on BB10, as does Box and DropBox.

Posted via CB10
    But...the OP is a freeloader

Via Pasta CB10
    illlya likes this.
    07-14-16 11:08 AM
    Yes, you're right, self-hosting is probably the best way forward. However it very expensive upfront, also with our double-firewalled network, this would be very difficult to set up, and even harder to properly secure, especially if it means punching holes in the firewalls. Furthermore, our upload speed isn't very good, I think it's about 18Mb/s so it probably isn't sufficient for hosting files with.

It's something I will probably look into eventually, but right now I effectively just need something to keep me going for the meantime.
    What I have is a home NAS assembled from spare junk, a SFTP server and a free dynamic DNS: cheap compared to other setups, not as fast as unsecured FTP/HTTP (on a 10mbit up connection) and, again, tough to effectively secure (about as well as you can secure SSH).
    07-14-16 11:16 AM
    Box which comes preinstalled on BB10 offers 10GB for free.

Posted via CB10 on my ClassicSQC100-1/10.3.2.2876
    07-14-16 11:17 AM
35 12