Last night me and a few friends got together for some wings and beer
    Then the conversation had a switch towards the phones....
    One of the guys has been an apple user since day one a really hard core user,
    After i explain why BlackBerry is the way to go, he opened his app store,
    And threw the phone to me and. Said
    " can I convert all these apps to BlackBerry? "
    I turn red, and a bit hesitant I said "no"
    Then he asked me to count how many he has.... well gave up after 150 apps
    But the screen was still scrolling..
    Anyway. He had accumulated in all these years over $1,000 in apps
    Between movies, songs, apps,
    He also can control:
    thermostat, tv,radio,lights,garage door opener,
    Security cameras, etc...
    Then he said:
    " if there is a way to convert these apps and not loose my money, I might give it a try"

Well guys this is what BlackBerry needs beside the new good phone

Posted using my Z10 and CB10
    yuvaraki and Supa_Fly1 like this.
    11-08-13 10:52 AM
    1000 bucks in apps? Criminy. Hardly a representative user.

ITunes conversion is an issue for some. Depends on how committed to apple you are. But that goes both ways. Converting everything to apple for a dedicated BlackBerry / PC user is equally a non started for many.

Posted via CB10
    11-08-13 11:01 AM
    The real question is how many of those apps he actually uses?

I doubt anything more than 10 percent. And BlackBerry provides for those.
    11-08-13 11:59 AM
    I switched after years of have iPhones. But I don't care about apps at all really.

Posted via CB10
    11-08-13 12:01 PM
    1000 bucks in apps? Criminy. Hardly a representative user.

ITunes conversion is an issue for some. Depends on how committed to apple you are. But that goes both ways. Converting everything to apple for a dedicated BlackBerry / PC user is equally a non started for many.

Posted via CB10
    I got my first iPod oh.. maybe 8 years ago and put my media diligently into iTunes where it remains to this day.. when I sync my curve or my wife's Z10, it pulls the media I've selected from iTunes and put's it directly on to our devices so I don't think that's really an issue. The app disparity is still an issue (although a potentially completely different issue now if the rumours of the Play store being available with later builds of 10.2.1 actually pan out)(but I digress) but I would hope that for any app that a person has bought, if the same app exists on a different platform, that they would be able to transfer their licencing rights from the one device to the other..

I wonder if QBNKELT would be willing to chime in with her experience over multiple platforms..
    Everybody concentrate really hard and we'll repeat her name 3 times and see if she appears..
    QBNKELT
    QBNKELT

In all seriousness, it's a very valid point.. People have made significant investments in their devices and associated apps so BBRY will have to give them a compellung reason to switch. On a slightly more pragmatic note.. if I were an app devloper then I think I would be inclined to have someone pay for my app once and then make it available to them on whichever platform they happen to be using (that I already support) so as to not frustrate existing or potential customers by charging them again and again to get/use a product they have already paid for, simply because they want to use it on a different device.

Certainly food for thought.
    kevinnugent and bradu1 like this.
    11-08-13 12:02 PM
    There's No way of convincing somebody like that to change phones. Why? Because he made an unnecessary investment on iPhone
    No matter how much of a BlackBerry fan I am I would never spend that much on apps or movies or music
    Even if I had the moneyto waste like that I don't think I would.

Posted via CB10
    dmlis, stackberry369 and sisko2003 like this.
    11-08-13 12:07 PM
    Why would you try to get a hard-core Apple user to switch platforms? I'm not sure what you expected. Did you expect him to wow'ed by something specific?
    11-08-13 12:09 PM
    The amount of #$$$$$ it's not just in
    Apps but also movies, and songs.
    Hour had the first apple phone.. so many years of course..
    Even if doesn't use them. He bought them and that cost Money,
    With our z10 can we control radio, music, lights, thermostat ,garage door opener, we can check the security cameras so far,
    He got an aquarium that use an apex controller, and came with an apple app, so he controls the tank when he is on vacations this thing comunicate with the phone, letting him know what is going on..
    How many of this hard core people
    There are around?????
    I think we need an app that converts
    From aple to BlackBerry....

11-08-13 12:13 PM
    Absolutely! Same question I was supposed to ask. Having too many apps is like spending all your time at work forgetting about spending quality with family. That is totally sick.
    11-08-13 12:14 PM
    Why would you try to get a hard-core Apple user to switch platforms? I'm not sure what you expected. Did you expect him to wow'ed by something specific?
    No Maggie..im not trying to convince him but we were led to the discussion just during a simple talk and a beer of course.
    The reason I started this thread is about how many hard core users are out there... that won't switch because are afraid to loose their app

But he was willing to try the new z10
    Only if could keep the apps
    and if blackberry. Does the same things as apple does

11-08-13 12:21 PM
    I've always thought is hard for Blackberry to convert from other platforms, they should focus on entry level users, and hardly fight for the ones that are still on board
    21stNow likes this.
    11-08-13 12:23 PM
    There's No way of convincing somebody like that to change phones. Why? Because he made an unnecessary investment on iPhone
    No matter how much of a BlackBerry fan I am I would never spend that much on apps or movies or music
    Even if I had the moneyto waste like that I don't think I would.

Posted via CB10
    Atmari...
    Do you know how long the i phone had been a round?????
    Well he bought the first one when came out...
    He has been buying app since then
    In all these years it will accumulate $$$$$$$$$$
    Don't think that at that time was an uncessary investment

93Aero likes this.
    11-08-13 12:24 PM
    This my friends is why Apple invented the app store. To tie people to their platform.

It was a brilliant play, and works well, keeping users ties to their investment.

Coupled with the fact that BlackBerry completely changed their OS, and even core BlackBerry users need to repurchase the apps they already had on BBOS7 if they buy a BB10 device (if the app even exists for BB10) is a pretty major issue.

#GetWithBB10 Channel @ C000D7228
    11-08-13 12:32 PM
    Little question for my own knowledge.. If I switch from IOS to Android can I keep what I purchased? Or it depends on the company that makes the app?
    11-08-13 12:39 PM
    Last night me and a few friends got together for some wings and beer
    Then the conversation had a switch towards the phones....
    One of the guys has been an apple user since day one a really hard core user,
    After i explain why BlackBerry is the way to go, he opened his app store,
    And threw the phone to me and. Said
    " can I convert all these apps to BlackBerry? "
    I turn red, and a bit hesitant I said "no"
    Then he asked me to count how many he has.... well gave up after 150 apps
    But the screen was still scrolling..
    Anyway. He had accumulated in all these years over $1,000 in apps
    Between movies, songs, apps,
    He also can control:
    thermostat, tv,radio,lights,garage door opener,
    Security cameras, etc...
    Then he said:
    " if there is a way to convert these apps and not loose my money, I might give it a try"

Well guys this is what BlackBerry needs beside the new good phone

Actually there is. a developer made a video on all that. The fact is he is using the $1000 in apps as an excuse. He prob only uses about $10 worht of those apps. The BB10 phones can do more the samsung or iphones just people refuse to accept the truth.
    11-08-13 12:41 PM
    The amount of #$$$$$ it's not just in
    Apps but also movies, and songs.
    Hour had the first apple phone.. so many years of course..
    Even if doesn't use them. He bought them and that cost Money,
    With our z10 can we control radio, music, lights, thermostat ,garage door opener, we can check the security cameras so far,
    He got an aquarium that use an apex controller, and came with an apple app, so he controls the tank when he is on vacations this thing comunicate with the phone, letting him know what is going on..
    How many of this hard core people
    There are around?????
    I think we need an app that converts
    From aple to BlackBerry....

Liek i said earlier its an excuse. all movies music and media like that can be loaded on any BB10 device.

PS tell your friend i use my Z10 to open my garage, start, locate and unlock my vehicle, control my security system, cameras included, and i run vital programs that i need like auto cad and others similar programs. Too bad he doesnt realize that BB10 is new and can do the same things an iphone can. one more thing ios is a mature program and vastly less potential left then BB10.
    Breezygirl8 likes this.
    11-08-13 12:46 PM
    Inertia. That's what keeps iPhone people where they are. No truly compelling reason for them to move to a BB because the iPhone works, it takes pictures and makes calls, plays music, text messages and email. What else would they want? Most of my coworkers here have them, don't visit iPhone-centric blogs/websites or actually care what makes the thing work...just that it does. I can blather on about how great my Z10 is and I get answers like, "That's nice..."
    11-08-13 12:49 PM
    iTunes music and movies can't just be copied and used on another platform? Can they be used at all on another platform?

I don't know but if that's the case I dislike apple even more.
    11-08-13 12:54 PM
    The iPad mini is a great tablet combined with the hotpot on the Q10. That's one solution. Another is what I actually did. I kept my iPhone 5 when I bought my Q. After about 6 months of using both of them, I deactivated the iPhone. With wifi or the Q's Mobile Hotspot, I can still use all my apps, and not pay a dime for cell service. The only thing I can't do is make calls or text on the iPhone, but I never did that even when it was activated. GPS with downloaded to phone maps still work. As does all my music and movies...as does apple TV.

Posted via CB10
    11-08-13 01:14 PM
    iTunes music and movies can't just be copied and used on another platform? Can they be used at all on another platform?

I don't know but if that's the case I dislike apple even more.
    When you buy music it's in a certain format, read only by apple products, but there is a way to convert those files in universal formats like creating a mp3 version directly in itunes when you right click a purchased song
    kbz1960 likes this.
    11-08-13 01:21 PM
    Perception or personal beliefs: Chevy vs. Ford vs. Dodge; Rams vs Chargers vs Cowboys vs Vikings; Democrat vs Republican; Christianity vs. Buddhism.......Freedom of CHOICE.
    11-08-13 01:22 PM
    Compounding this is no compelling reason to switch from a device you like.
    Were you able to tell your friend what is so different about the BB10 device?
    11-08-13 01:24 PM
    "I will never buy a Mac cause I have spent thousands of $$$ on MS hardware (notebooks/destop pcs) and apps".. guess what.. Apple is still able to sell Macs to previous PC users and they still don't have all the apps available on the Mac's compared to PC's.

It all depends what you like.. tech changes all the time .. and we spend money. It's what make the world go around. Yes it could be a reason but not in all cases...
    11-08-13 01:38 PM
    Absolutely! Same question I was supposed to ask. Having too many apps is like spending all your time at work forgetting about spending quality with family. That is totally sick.
    No, these two situations are totally different.

Little question for my own knowledge.. If I switch from IOS to Android can I keep what I purchased? Or it depends on the company that makes the app?
    It depends on the app maker, as far as I know. There was only one paid app that I really wanted to bring over from iOS to Android. I reached out to the app developer who told me what I needed to do to access my paid content on an Android device. Many other apps allow the users to create a login that will allow paid content to follow the user, regardless of mobile OS.
    11-08-13 01:39 PM
    When you buy music it's in a certain format, read only by apple products, but there is a way to convert those files in universal formats like creating a mp3 version directly in itunes when you right click a purchased song
    ^This. So, for music, it's usually not too much of an issue (obviously depending on how much music you have/what you want on your phone/etc). Not sure if there is a simple way to do it for videos though.
    11-08-13 01:41 PM
121 123 ...