I just wanted to get your attention. There isn't one.

Those of us who frequently install new OSes seem to be a quirky lot: some live or die by a full Link backup and restore, others refuse to touch Link; some do a security wipe before loading an OS, others do one after...and some do both; some use SIC Wipe, some use cfp nuke; and let's not forget Blitz and nondestructive methods either.

Many of us tend to find a routine and stick with it. Oftentimes religiously.

I wanted to start a discussion about what rituals each of us follows and why. Maybe we will all learn something or at least consider alternatives we hadn't thought of before.

Personally, I was very disappointed with the early performance of Link. As a result, I moved as much as I could to cloud based services and I learned to live without the conveniences of word substitution collections and browser bookmarks because I kept losing them. So my first religion was security wipe, autoloader, start from scratch with a fresh install.

After a (long) while, Link matured and became more reliable (in my view). I actually began trusting the restore process. I also decided a security wipe AND an autoloader was overkill, so I would take a backup with Link, nuke, autoload, then restore.

Since starting on the 10.3.1 branch, I have become more reliant on the true conveniences of BlackBerry: word substitution, bookmarks, not having to deal with the frustration of teaching my virtual keyboard everything all over, AGAIN, and so on. So now I have become a nondestructive installer (I actually consider those a forced-local upgrade, but that's another topic for another thread).

So, that's my story. What's yours? What installation ritual do you prefer, and why?
    11-19-14 02:19 PM
    I stick my arm over my head, then do a nondestructive install.

Posted by a Proud NRA Supporter!
    moody and 00stryder like this.
    11-19-14 02:21 PM
    I don't like link and don't use it. I use autoloaders because the downtime is less than 5 minutes. I also do a security wipe after the autoloader because sometimes when I don't do that my radios don't work right. Don't ask me why they just don't. Security wipe fixes it and I don't have to worry. Then I reload everything fresh. I don't like carrying things over because it comes with baggage.
    11-19-14 02:24 PM
    Backup all
    Download Autoloader
    Install autoloader
    Restore
    Restart accounts(login)
    Wait for sync
    Use phone
    Haven't had an issue

Posted from my Zed30 running 10.3.1.1151
    11-19-14 02:28 PM
    Backup all
    Download Autoloader
    Install autoloader
    Restore
    Restart accounts(login)
    Wait for sync
    Use phone
    Haven't had an issue
    Only small issues easy to correct. Staying with that procedure until a better one comes along.
    11-19-14 02:30 PM
    I've been on both ends of the spectrum. I used to avoid Link like the plague, but it finally allows us to do a selective backup/restore (only apps right now, but that's a start). So I now include Link on my routine. I've also been playing with SIC Wipe...

Original routine:
    • Autoloader;
    • Install Apps from stores
    • Load backups from cloud/sync stuff from cloud

New routine:
    • SIC Wipe;
    • Autoloader;
    • Restore backup;
    • Sync stuff from cloud

Most of the time, I do not restore settings, unless I am sure the new OS can handle them without creating all sorts of bugs.

I also do not backup "BlackBerry Runtime" "app" in Link.

If someone can tell me the benefits of a SIC Wipe, I'm listening. I know some here say it does not matter and I can't really say I see benefit (nor do I see issues though).
    11-19-14 02:35 PM
    Move screenshots to SD
    Remove SD
    Airplane mode
    Make backup using Link
    Clean new OS of uneeded bar while Link pokes along
    Run nondestructive upgrade on Sachesi
    Watch CPU and wait till things calm down
    Turn on radios again
    Check through for issues
    Beer

Edit - Rinse and repeat with gf's phone. Final item may be why I have more trouble upgrading hers
    11-19-14 02:42 PM
    Move device files to SD
    cfp nuke -a
    Autoloader
    Setup

That's it. Fast, simple, doesn't lead to stupid install-related bugs.
    11-19-14 02:59 PM
    If it's before a major OS upgrade (10.1 - 10.2.0, 10.2.0 - 10.2.1, 10.2.1 -10.2.2, 10.2.2 - 10.3.0, 10.3.0 - 10.3.1, then I backup all my files via Link, also back it up via Cloud services, move whatever I can to my SD card, then use the Autoloader. I used to restore via Link, but after going from 10.3.0 to 10.3.1 and having issues, I now restore using the Cloud and SD.

If it's a minor OS update (within the same major OS, such as 10.3.1.xxx to 10.3.1.xxx) , then I simply use Sachesi. If the Blitz package is available before I'm ready to update, I'll use it, but if not, I'll make my own folder and install it.

I have never done an SIC wipe, for I personally see it as overkill, a last resort when EVERYTHING goes awry. I believe that an autoloader does more than enough for a destructive install.

Posted via CB10
    CyberMan2013 likes this.
    11-19-14 03:25 PM
    Thurask.... Looked all over for a cfp tutorial. Got a link?
    11-19-14 03:45 PM
    -Download necessary files
    -Run a non-destructive update through Sachesi and leave it overnight (not only does the job, but also allows for cooling time before I wake up and test it to hell and back)
    -Wake up to a flawless phone with everything where it should be.
    moody likes this.
    11-19-14 03:52 PM
    Thurask.... Looked all over for a cfp tutorial. Got a link?
    https://drive.bitcasa.com/send/W6CF4...x8oY4ApHNSTEND

Wherever you've downloaded [cfp] to, just do shift+right click inside that folder and choose 'Open command prompt'
    Then type in:
    Code:
    cfp57 nuke -a

Posted via CB10
    11-19-14 03:53 PM
    Mostly I just run the autoloader. (I *NEVER* turn off any radios, wipe, nuke, SIC, say magic spells or use woodoo. Simply because nobody from BlackBerry has ever recommended it and I have spend years working with them as a partner).

IMHO it's faster to skip backup/restore than to install apps again and configure the accounts.
    I also have an "idea"(!) that configuring everything from scratch causes less issues. In theory data corruptions could have occurred due to bugs in the software and I prefer not to migrate any potential problems. But it's probably just my head (woodoo must have been used!)

Lately I have been a bit lazy and used Sachesi to perform a non-destructive upgrade. The new "Blitz" is very convenient.
    It takes a long time however, but it has not caused me any problems VS using the autoloader.

So to summarize:

1) Run autoloader
    2) Configure device
    3) Use

OR

1) Use Sachesi
    2) Wait ....
    3) Use
    11-19-14 03:57 PM
    Move device files to SD
    cfp nuke -a
    Autoloader
    Setup

That's it. Fast, simple, doesn't lead to stupid install-related bugs.
    Exactly what I do, plus I use contactx for my contacts. That's it. Thanks to you guys for explaining how to use cfp nuke -a. I also used to wait for your autoloaders, but since you've been so slow lately, (i keed I keed) I just create them myself with debrick and radio.

Z10STL100-3/10.3.1.1151 or PassportSQW100-1/10.3.1.1151 depends what device I'm on. Official member of the Peevishlicious Crew
    Carjackd, bungaboy and moody like this.
    11-19-14 04:00 PM
    Back up SMS... autoloader and start from scratch

Posted via CB10
    11-19-14 04:00 PM
    I still use the autoloader than wipe device than setup

Posted via the Z to the 3 to the 0
    thatplaybookguy and moody like this.
    11-19-14 04:29 PM
    Backup Nothing, Start fresh every single time. Bam, living dangerously and vicariously through m Z10. Hi Kris, long time no see!!
    11-19-14 04:42 PM
    Recently I only made one adjustment to how I install a leak/new OS.

I never back up nor restore but I do make sure that my password keeper is backed up to my SD card. I never save anything locally. I keep all of my contacts backed up through Google and don't care about keeping any texts. Anything not saved in the cloud is saved on my SD card.

I used to only run an autoloader but now because of the Z30 sms issues and what seems like provisioning issues I made a slight change. Now, before running the autoloader, I remove the sim card on my Z30. I run the autoloader, complete the initial up (except BBM and BBID), then let the phone finish the tutorials. After everything is set up I then set up BBM and associate my BBID. Finally I pop the sim card back in and volume button reset the device.

After that I go about setting back up my contacts and emails and accounts.

And then I come to the forums to help others

Verizon Z30 running 10.3.1.1016 hybrid on CB10. My boring channel but has cute Frenchie puppy pics
    thatplaybookguy and moody like this.
    11-19-14 04:50 PM
    Thanks to Sachesi.......i do non destruct spiliting the Debrick file. Add the radio file bar file and desktop to the folder that has 200 plus bar files.
    then "install" the folder while my phone is airplane mode.

kinda like how the networks push the os update.
    11-19-14 04:51 PM
    I install updates via Sachesi...after a backup in case things go bad!

I did this a lot on my z10 and everything was superb... will try updating to 10.3 on my z30 this weekend

Posted via CB10 and my awesome Z30STA100-2/10.2.1.3442
    SportsIndexUK likes this.
    11-19-14 04:58 PM
    Link always worked fine for my 2 Z10 Verizon phones. I have used all those different ways to install. Autoloader, DDBP, Darcy, Chrome, Sachesi.
    My favorite is the fresh autoloader install.
    Second best for me is Sachesi.
    All have been successful for me on the grand scale of 1 year 9 months of leaks and official os's.
    Link is good for backing up and restoring a single app also.
    I usually autoload and restore my progress only on one single app: Drag Racing Bike Edition. Everything else comes back upon signing in for me: contacts, Candy Crush, email, calendar.
    My 4 recent upgrades have been Sachesi.
    XSACHA ROCKS! Kudos man you have made our lives easier.

Crackberry Genius on Verizon Z10/10.3.1.1151
    BigBadWulf likes this.
    11-19-14 05:10 PM
    I still use the autoloader than wipe device than setup

Posted via the Z to the 3 to the 0
    I don't think you can ever wipe enough Kris.

Great post Wu-wei ..you should really post more often. People generally get in groove and have a tough time with change...but knowledge is king. Learning something new only continues to build your knowledge.

"Official International Accountant of the Peevishlicious Crew " via my Canadian Passport!!
    11-19-14 05:11 PM
    Nuke.. autoloader.. no restore..keep it fresh sync contacts re-download apps...no issues thus far z10 q10 and z30

Posted via CB10
    11-19-14 05:58 PM
    Started with autoloaders, everything important was clouded or on my sd card, and backed up in case I wanted to do full restore. Usually just restored contacts, calendar and bookmarks from cloud. Everything else I setup freah usually throughout next day as work permitted me to. Oh screenshots taken off all my setup of icons on pages and folders.

Obviously moved to Blitz when xsacha created the functionality to do so. It does take more time to complete but I prefer to keep current setup. And I jus plain old feel lazy some days lol

Posted via my AzzazzinBerry on CB10(STL100-3/10.3.1.1151)
    bungaboy and lady of the lake like this.
    11-19-14 07:20 PM
    Posted from my Zed30 running 10.3.1.1151

You said "zed" eh....good thing I'm Canadian else I wouldn't have got it!!! Ohhhh Cannnnadaaaaaa........
    11-19-14 07:20 PM
82 123 ...