01-27-16 11:45 AM
35 12
tools
    No the traffic still goes through BlackBerry networks
    With such level of (private) encryption and no backdoor ...
    01-26-16 01:56 PM
    No the traffic still goes through BlackBerry networks... which is why one switch going bad, shut down most of the BlackBerry devices (including BES ones) in that section of the world. The data is encrypted and only your local BES server can decode it, but it still travels the BlackBerry NOC.
    That's not how I remember it. Companies and governments on their own BES servers were never affected by any RIM/BlackBerry outage. It was people on their personal BIS plans (like me) that lost email connectivity and BBM went down when there was an outage.

Posted via CB10
    01-26-16 02:37 PM
    With such level of (private) encryption and no backdoor ...
    Just got an email advertisement for the Good Secure EMM Suites by BlackBerry, so I would think your image would be good now. One thing I noticed, it talks alot about securing Android... have yet to see it really mention BB10 (other than compatibility).

http://blackberry.lookbookhq.com/ent...BerryPortfolio

Also that
    The Good Secure EMM Suites include BES12, a complete, cross-platform and highly secure Mobile Device Management (MDM) solution.
    So I guess BES12 is one of the options under Good portfolio now.....

Never tried to indicate that data routed through their network was not secure.... or at least that BlackBerry isn't bothering to try and unencrypted the data (who knows about local govs and what they may or may not be capable of with the use of a Super Computer....). I was just pointing out that someone like Obama, the bigger issue might be reliability and the vulnerability of the hardware to attack or normal failures.

Those outages back in 2011, opened a lot of peoples eyes to some very real weakness in the US Government's communications systems, by relying on one vendor for software and hardware.... thus the move away from proprietary networks and hardware.
    01-26-16 02:42 PM
    That's not how I remember it. Companies and governments on their own BES servers were never affected by any RIM/BlackBerry outage. It was people on their personal BIS plans (like me) that lost email connectivity and BBM went down when there was an outage.

Posted via CB10
    At that time the company I was with did have BES, and the BlackBerries did become pretty much useless.....

So the BlackBerry NOC is the point where BlackBerry and BES can find each other and communicate. The NOC takes care of handling individual BlackBerry connections and also queues up data that is destined for a BlackBerry when it is out of coverage or turned off. This means that the BES itself doesn't need to worry about doing that extra work.

In fact the BlackBerry architecture itself allows any company to add an infinite number of BlackBerry users without the need to ramp up remote connectivity capacity, since the only connection being used for all communication is the one that is established between BES and NOC. BlackBerry has some customers who have 100,000 BlackBerry users which proves the point. The NOC also removes the need to run a 100% uptime remote connectivity environment since BlackBerry takes care of this at the NOC.
    It is possible that there has been a change to how BES12 communicates to devices it now "controls", but back in the day that's how it worked.
    01-26-16 02:59 PM
    The straightened keyboard is much nicer than the the old curved keyboards.
    01-26-16 08:42 PM
    BB is pretty deep into DOD. I can only imagine the rest of .gov follows suit for the same security reasons.
    01-26-16 10:09 PM
    I remember the first election. There was a huge fuss because apparently it was against some rule from the horse and buggy era that Presidents are not allowed to use email or anything else. Essentially to live in a glass jar and have everything spoonfed to them. Apparently he balked big time at that and a compromise was found.

Maybe the compromise is that when he writes an email it is printed out on paper and someone then types it again in electronic form on a different system and hits send.

Posted via CB10
    01-26-16 10:21 PM
    One image worth 1K words (especially when Moooohh-ed by me lol)
    Edit : sorry, I removed this image in the waiting of approval. Will re-publish if granted.

What I see here is BES as an integrator of various technologies from all the lately (and formerly) acquired companies* in a very short time frame. It's not only Good. It's pretty much anything connected. What BES has been built for (Hello, Mr Heins !).

And if you ask me, this is an awesome achievement (still, some in the process before 100% maturity).

*Good, AtHoc, SecuSmart, QNX Embedded systems and all the new capabilities they add to the existing.
    Here's the image.
    Obama and his BlackBerry-slide1.jpg
    01-27-16 03:43 AM
    Never tried to indicate that data routed through their network was not secure.... or at least that BlackBerry isn't bothering to try and unencrypted the data (who knows about local govs and what they may or may not be capable of with the use of a Super Computer....). I was just pointing out that someone like Obama, the bigger issue might be reliability and the vulnerability of the hardware to attack or normal failures.

Those outages back in 2011, opened a lot of peoples eyes to some very real weakness in the US Government's communications systems, by relying on one vendor for software and hardware.... thus the move away from proprietary networks and hardware.
    You'll barely find an equivalent alternative to the "NOC" with its level of security and fault tolerance. Even if you're the US gov. Especially if your device is intended to provide communications while traveling worldwide.
    US gov and NSA know how hard it is to break (if ever it could be broken).

This is huge and the outages you still mention (I believe it's two days on/off in ten years - very acceptable default rate, under the 0.001%) were data related only (phone calls and texts were still up). Since then, they bough Athoc which is designed for "crisis management communications" and I'd be surprised we'll see that happen again for users with such services and failovers enabled.

Really, if there's something promoting BES and BlackBerry it's the "NOC" and its reputation (for those in the knowledge, not press bandits).

P.S: Please remember BlackBerry Encryption comes above your file state; this is an additional encryption; shall you crypt your file locally with - say - PGP, it would be capsuled within another encryption layer but of course remains encrypted as you did it.
    01-27-16 03:58 AM
    Most those outages were back in the 2010/2011 period... not sure why you'd spread them over 10 years?
    Sure today BES seems to be a more stable platform, and anyone looking for a EMM today would not consider that an issue. But I'm afraid that the US Gov (and others) looked at those accidental outages, and asked themselves "what if someone wanted to disrupt our communication abilities... on purpose". So they moved away from BES and moved to not relying on one vendor. Yes they still have BES servers, but as BlackBerry devices are being phased out... they are using other EMM's.

Personally I think the NOC is a great idea... and maybe BlackBerry has built more redundancy into the system. Doesn't really matter..... there have been many other factor that combined to push BES out of the EMM limelight. Good is BlackBerry's future.....
    01-27-16 11:45 AM
35 12