http://www.nytimes.com/2016/01/25/us...=14315997&_r=0

This article was published in today's New York Times.

I love the way they say "he's not allowed to have an iphone"... hmmm I wonder why?

And they mysteriously refer to his BlackBerry as l "specially modified"... well at least it is secure enough so he can use it with confidence that his data is actually secure.

Go BlackBerry!!!

Posted via CB10
    Camelhmpz, Vistaus and MehdiQ like this.
    01-25-16 11:23 AM
    Which model BlackBerry does he use? Is he still using the older OS, or did he get a BlackBerry 10 phone?

Z30-STA100-5 (T-Mo)-SR 10.3.2.2836 / OS 10.3.2.2876
    01-25-16 12:15 PM
    LOL... there you go

yep BB OS10 + BES and some extras what else...

Posted via -Classic SQC100-1 / 10.3.++
    01-25-16 12:16 PM
    LOL... there you go

Posted via -Classic SQC100-1 / 10.3.++
    Which model?
    And of course citation please.
    01-25-16 12:19 PM
    You can sync fitbit with a blackberry 10 device. So maybe he has a 10 device
    01-25-16 12:21 PM
    LOL... there you go

I did a Google search and could not verify this statement.
    Therefore I conclude that it is false
    If it was true, the BB10 fans would be all over it.
    Last edited by DrBoomBotz; 01-25-16 at 02:05 PM.
    01-25-16 01:52 PM
    Last I knew he had a Bold 9900 . I seriously doubt he switched to BB10. That would have been huge news.

Besides BlackBerry has never made such a beautiful keyboard since the 9900. Big beautiful smiley shaped keyboard.

Z30STA100-5 / 10.3.2.2813 / T-Mobile
    01-25-16 02:08 PM
    http://www.nytimes.com/2016/01/25/us...=14315997&_r=0

This article was published in today's New York Times.

I love the way they say "he's not allowed to have an iphone"... hmmm I wonder why?

And they mysteriously refer to his BlackBerry as l "specially modified"... well at least it is secure enough so he can use it with confidence that his data is actually secure.

Go BlackBerry!!!
    IIRC, he uses iOS, and the decision to modify a BBOS device was mostly based on his pre-election preferences.
    01-25-16 02:22 PM
    I did a Google search and could not verify this statement.
    Therefore I conclude that it is false
    If it was true, the BB10 fans would be all over it.

His BlackBerry is nothing more than the shell of a BlackBerry Bold 9900 with the majority of the internals changed, just like the iPad mentioned in the article. Still doesn't stop people from calling it a BlackBerry though. You can see it, and a ton of non-specially-modified BlackBerry devices, on the Whitehouse Flickr account.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/whitehouse/
    01-25-16 04:36 PM
    His BlackBerry is nothing more than the shell of a BlackBerry Bold 9900 with the majority of the internals changed, just like the iPad mentioned in the article. Still doesn't stop people from calling it a BlackBerry though. You can see it, and a ton of non-specially-modified BlackBerry devices, on the Whitehouse Flickr account.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/whitehouse/
    Does it function like a BlackBerry? Have a browser and BBM or is it just a phone? I don't know how you could secure SMS. His daughters have iPhones so I guess they don't text? Only phone calls? Yet he has an iPad so I don't know it's pretty confusing.

History channel should do a episode of Modern Marvels on it. It will probably be 30 years before all the details are public though.

01-25-16 04:40 PM
    Does it function like a BlackBerry? Have a browser and BBM or is it just a phone? I don't know how you could secure SMS. His daughters have iPhones so I guess they don't text? Only phone calls? Yet he has an iPad so I don't know it's pretty confusing.

History channel should do a episode of Modern Marvels on it. It will probably be 30 years before all the details are public though.

No one knows for sure, no one will give up the real info on its capabilities. This is as close you'll get to confirmation of it's functions. - http://money.cnn.com/2014/05/22/tech...ma-blackberry/

"It just really bothered a lot of people -- nobody wanted to put anything out there that wasn't completely secure," said retired NSA technical director Richard "Dickie" George in an interview with CNNMoney.

George's role was to review the BlackBerry's algorithms and write and engineer diagrams for the phone.
    In response to Obama's request, the NSA set up a lab where dozens of experts performed surgery for several months on a high-profile patient: the soon-to-be presidential BlackBerry. The course of treatment was to manipulate the device's innards to weed out potential threats to secure communication.
    In the end, that meant taking most of the fun out of the phone: the president can't play Angry Birds, for example.

"You try to get rid of any functionality that's not really required. Every piece of functionality is an opportunity for the adversary," George says.

According to George, the president simply wanted a phone that enabled him to communicate with his advisers. Though the president was a well known BlackBerry (BBRY) addict at the time, the choice of smartphone model was the NSA's, not Obama's, George explained.

What functionality the president's phone actually possesses is secret -- and the NSA won't even confirm that he can use it to send a text or write an email (but it's a pretty safe bet it isn't used for Oval Office selfies).
    Superfly_FR likes this.
    01-25-16 04:48 PM
    Last I knew he had a Bold 9900 . I seriously doubt he switched to BB10. That would have been huge news.

Besides BlackBerry has never made such a beautiful keyboard since the 9900. Big beautiful smiley shaped keyboard.

I agree. While I love and defend my Q, I still think the smiley keyboard was the best. However, not so much that I think the Q PKB is bad. Just not as good as the "smiley".
    01-25-16 08:38 PM
    President Barack Hussein Obama II uses this phone

http://www.obamaphone.com/

End of discussion.

Posted via CB10
    garpt, Gazza12 and shoaib2811 like this.
    01-25-16 09:15 PM
    When he was on bear Grylls he said he didn't have a smartphone because of security reasons.

Posted via CB10
    01-25-16 09:45 PM
    I bet he can't even get on CB with his modded Blackberry, everything he can access is thru government restricted servers.
    01-25-16 10:11 PM
    Which model BlackBerry does he use? Is he still using the older OS, or did he get a BlackBerry 10 phone?

Z30-STA100-5 (T-Mo)-SR 10.3.2.2836 / OS 10.3.2.2876
    Last time when the President was in South Africa we saw him taking a selfie from his Z10 .
    01-25-16 11:47 PM
    Last time when the President was in South Africa we saw him taking a selfie from his Z10 .
    Your just pulling my leg.
    01-26-16 12:29 AM
    Not the German Chancellor's? She definitely had one but not sure about ol' Barry...

Posted via CB10
    IndianTiwari likes this.
    01-26-16 12:56 AM
    No one knows for sure, no one will give up the real info on its capabilities. This is as close you'll get to confirmation of it's functions. - NSA engineer: 'I made Obama's BlackBerry' - May. 22, 2014
    Can't rewind the times so I may be wrong but a SecuSmart enabled device with COBO strict BES policy (add some physical surgery for double security: camera, GPS, wifi, BlueTooth, ...) should cover pretty much the highest grade for this type of device.
    Several devices are even more secured but can't be used in everyday life and require your correspondent to own the same device class.
    01-26-16 05:54 AM
    Can't rewind the times so I may be wrong but a SecuSmart enabled device with COBO strict BES policy (add some physical surgery for double security: camera, GPS, wifi, BlueTooth, ...) should cover pretty much the highest grade for this type of device.
    Several devices are even more secured but can't be used in everyday life and require your correspondent to own the same device class.
    I bet there are no BES policies on Obama's BlackBerry looking device... as I doubt they allow any network traffic to be routed to or through BlackBerry's servers. BlackBerry showed everyone just what a "weak link" BlackBerry's NOC was.....

But yeah for off the shelf security, BlackBerry had a very impressive solution for highly regulated industries and smaller governments. I have to assume that's who still buying 500K devices a quarter.... I would also assume that Chen and company considered a move to a strictly high security market. With products priced to accommodate the much lower sales... $2000 BlackBerries. Don't see any indication that they see that as a viable market...

Think the future is SecuSmart and strict GOOD enabled policies, as I expect BES to be phased out in order to cut their EMM cost down to a minimum. Good came with too much overhead, but it's the product that has the much higher and growing customer base.
    01-26-16 08:06 AM
    I bet there are no BES policies on Obama's BlackBerry looking device... as I doubt they allow any network traffic to be routed to or through BlackBerry's servers. BlackBerry showed everyone just what a "weak link" BlackBerry's NOC was.....

But yeah for off the shelf security, BlackBerry had a very impressive solution for highly regulated industries and smaller governments. I have to assume that's who still buying 500K devices a quarter.... I would also assume that Chen and company considered a move to a strictly high security market. With products priced to accommodate the much lower sales... $2000 BlackBerries. Don't see any indication that they see that as a viable market...

Think the future is SecuSmart and strict GOOD enabled policies, as I expect BES to be phased out in order to cut their EMM cost down to a minimum. Good came with too much overhead, but it's the product that has the much higher and growing customer base.
    Except that BES is set up on a local server - usually over a local email server. Nothing goes through BlackBerry with such a setup. That was always the whole point of using BES.

What you're talking about is BIS or consumer level BB10 and BBM which does go through the BlackBerry NOC.

Posted via CB10
    Superfly_FR likes this.
    01-26-16 10:13 AM
    More likely merge.
    Edit: ah, I see the NDA is over : http://crackberry.com/blackberry-integrates-watchdox-and-good-bes12-unified-enterprise-management-platform
    Dunt Dunt Dunt likes this.
    01-26-16 10:57 AM
    Except that BES is set up on a local server - usually over a local email server. Nothing goes through BlackBerry with such a setup. That was always the whole point of using BES.

What you're talking about is BIS or consumer level BB10 and BBM which does go through the BlackBerry NOC.

Posted via CB10
    No the traffic still goes through BlackBerry networks... which is why one switch going bad, shut down most of the BlackBerry devices (including BES ones) in that section of the world. The data is encrypted and only your local BES server can decode it, but it still travels the BlackBerry NOC.
    01-26-16 11:28 AM
    I can see they integrated parts of Good... didn't really say what will happen to Good as a product or division.

I agree a merger might be the best way to reduce cost, but too be honest I would think focus on Good would be better than focus on BES. Not because one is better than the other, just because BES has been losing customers and Good has been growing. It's more about appearance and the BRAND, which right now BlackBerry's is not seen as a stable or strong brand.
    01-26-16 11:35 AM
    One image worth 1K words (especially when Moooohh-ed by me lol)
    Edit : sorry, I removed this image in the waiting of approval. Will re-publish if granted.

What I see here is BES as an integrator of various technologies from all the lately (and formerly) acquired companies* in a very short time frame. It's not only Good. It's pretty much anything connected. What BES has been built for (Hello, Mr Heins !).

And if you ask me, this is an awesome achievement (still, some in the process before 100% maturity).

*Good, AtHoc, SecuSmart, QNX Embedded systems and all the new capabilities they add to the existing.
    Last edited by Superfly_FR; 01-26-16 at 12:22 PM.
    01-26-16 12:00 PM
35 12