I've dug deeply through 10 years of worldwide data (provided by Statcounter), and calculated an exponential curve (with R² of 0.97) to the number of devices still in use.

As of Dec 2020, there were approximately 400k (BB10+BBOS) devices still active.

As of Dec 2021, there will be about 200k.

Of course, I would suspect that at least a third of these devices are hobby / Wifi-only phones.

This does NOT account for the upcoming disruptive cases of 3G being shutdown and of BlackBerry backend services being turned off at the end of this year.

A good case can be made that there will be less than 100k BB10 and BBOS devices left on Earth with SIM cards in them by Christmas.

Just thought folks might be interested.
    mikael11, dmlis, bbfanfan and 3 others like this.
    01-16-21 11:16 PM
    Interesting. I purchased a 9930 and am using it with a SIM; part nostalgia, part detox, part feq iPhone.
    iixclusive likes this.
    01-17-21 12:02 AM
    Damn, dude....Debbie Downer.
    01-17-21 12:12 AM
    In Europe 3G will be active for a while so I'll keep my Passport till the end.

Posted via CB10
    anon(10724439) and elfabio80 like this.
    01-17-21 06:01 AM
    I have 5 BB10 phones none of which have a sim card in but I still power up 3 on a regular basis just because I still like BB10 and like to see what I’m missing out on, (the hub mainly).
    bh7171 likes this.
    01-17-21 08:47 AM
    I have 5 BB10 phones none of which have a sim card in but I still power up 3 on a regular basis just because I still like BB10 and like to see what I’m missing out on, (the hub mainly).
    When I suggested "at least a third", it's probably closer to half.
    01-17-21 08:57 AM
    I've dug deeply through 10 years of worldwide data (provided by Statcounter), and calculated an exponential curve (with R² of 0.97) to the number of devices still in use.

Of course, I would suspect that at least a third of these devices are hobby / Wifi-only phones.

This does NOT account for the upcoming disruptive cases of 3G being shutdown and of BlackBerry backend services being turned off at the end of this year.

A good case can be made that there will be less than 100k BB10 and BBOS devices left on Earth with SIM cards in them by Christmas.

I expect that number to be even lower by January 2022 if people don't remove BB Protect, wipe and set up without BBID.
    WES51 likes this.
    01-17-21 08:58 AM
    I expect that number to be even lower by January 2022 if people don't remove BB Protect, wipe and set up without BBID.
    That's what I was kinda getting at with "backend services turning off at the end of the year" , but yes I agree.
    WES51 likes this.
    01-17-21 09:00 AM
    I've dug deeply through 10 years of worldwide data (provided by Statcounter), and calculated an exponential curve (with R² of 0.97) to the number of devices still in use....Just thought folks might be interested.
    What does the data focus around in terms of indicators for the existence of a particular device?

There was some joking suggestings in the forums a while back, trying to setup some sort of ability to do some counting, using things like web browser fingerprinting, etc... However, it never got any momentum going. I assume it is relatively straight forward for the carriers to have data about what devices are on their networks. However, indeed slightly harder (due to less focal points of coordinated data collection) for devices that aren’t directly active on cellular networks. Maybe something is also counted via DNS traffic analysis?
    01-17-21 09:12 AM
    What does the data focus around in terms of indicators for the existence of a particular device?
    "We calculate our Global Stats on the basis of more than 10 billion page views per month, by people from all over the world onto our 2 million+ member sites."

It's not the specific device, it's the OS.
    01-17-21 09:27 AM
    When I suggested "at least a third", it's probably closer to half.
    It’s pretty difficult to put a figure on it but I think you’ve been generous.

To use BBOS or BB10 these days you’ve either got to be an enthusiast or someone who just wants a phone to make calls and text with email thrown in, anything more and it begins to struggle.

Like you say the days of being able to do all this seems to be limited too, certainly in North America, not so much here in the UK.
    01-17-21 09:27 AM

According to AT&T the Blackberry passport can receive and send on the frequencies needed to work after 3 G is shut down. That deadline has been pushed out for the foreseeable future. This is because the big users of 3G Alarm/Data/signaling have not made the changeover and cannot be orphaned.

This does not mean that the phone is not on life support, it mean use it and enjoy. Eyes wide open
    01-17-21 09:39 AM
    According to AT&T the Blackberry passport can receive and send on the frequencies needed to work after 3 G is shut down. That deadline has been pushed out for the foreseeable future. This is because the big users of 3G Alarm/Data/signaling have not made the changeover and cannot be orphaned.

This does not mean that the phone is not on life support, it mean use it and enjoy. Eyes wide open
    K. But as I indicated, I didn't account for the 3G and backend services shutdowns in my numbers - which can ONLY serve to make them lower.
    01-17-21 09:47 AM

Where was this said by AT&T? Links?
    WES51 likes this.
    01-17-21 09:48 AM
    I posted them in another tread
    01-17-21 09:49 AM
    K. But as I indicated, I didn't account for the 3G and backend services shutdowns in my numbers - which can ONLY serve to make them lower.
    I did say eyes wide open...............LOL you still need to come to Clear-water for a cold one
    01-17-21 09:49 AM

AT&T deadline is one year past VZW and TMO since original announcement. It's been 2022 and I don't suspect it will be any further delayed.

The AT&T Passport will still be LTE data capable. While not AT&T VoLTE supported, it can still be used for web activities.

Perhaps a SIP client but I'm not sure. If shutting down other apps completely TextFree or TextNow App might complete a phone call
    01-17-21 09:51 AM
    I posted them in another tread
    I meant, a link to AT&T's site that makes this statement. I dont know about the "other thread".
    01-17-21 09:52 AM
    I did say eyes wide open...............LOL you still need to come to Clear-water for a cold one
    What, and give up all this?! Lol.
    01-17-21 09:53 AM
    The page posted on the other link was from AT&T. It came out months ago and I for some reason had a copy. It was posted. Old news
    01-17-21 09:53 AM
    It would be hard to leave that for this...................I feel your pain.
    Attached Thumbnails Number of BB10 and BBOS devices still in use-clwbeach.jpg  
    ppeters914 likes this.
    01-17-21 09:55 AM
    What, and give up all this?! Lol. [IMG=1008x756]https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20210117/3678c057b6a44c8782dd7f61ee2870a3.jpg[/url]
    Looks idyllic, also looks cold!
    01-17-21 09:57 AM
    Hey - that was my first thought too (looks cold), lol.
    01-17-21 09:58 AM
    Hey - that was my first thought too (looks cold), lol.
    Actually we're having a warm bout. It's hovering just below freezing.

Great weather for snowballs and snowmen. Sorry, snowbeings.
    anon(5597702) likes this.
    01-17-21 10:08 AM
    "We calculate our Global Stats on the basis of more than 10 billion page views per month, by people from all over the world onto our 2 million+ member sites."

It's not the specific device, it's the OS.
    Awesome. However, I hope they are specifically sub identifying BB10 and BBOS within that, as opposed to grouping them in with "other OSs", for the purpose of the specific count.
    01-17-21 10:14 AM
92 123 ...