How so?
    Well, we know it fixes the whole uninstall bug it had, but I do think it had some minor tweaks or maybe the OS did because there is much less delay from when you switch back into an Android app and when you could use it. Before if you minimized an Android app to active frame, then go back to it later, it would have took a few seconds, followed by the screen kind of flashing before the app is usable. Now I've found that in some apps, they become usable almost instantly, while others it takes much less time than before. I know the runtime itself, as in which Android version it emulated, didn't change, but it does seem to work better and faster for me...

Posted without the aid of AutoCorrect with my physical keyboard via CB10
    12-04-16 05:04 PM
    They've already announced their official departure (by early next year) of the smartphone business.
    Given their outstanding accuracy of what's happening when; next year probably means by sometime in 2019.

Posted using a Q10, 10.3.2.2474.
    12-04-16 06:26 PM
    Well, we know it fixes the whole uninstall bug it had, but I do think it had some minor tweaks or maybe the OS did because there is much less delay from when you switch back into an Android app and when you could use it. Before if you minimized an Android app to active frame, then go back to it later, it would have took a few seconds, followed by the screen kind of flashing before the app is usable. Now I've found that in some apps, they become usable almost instantly, while others it takes much less time than before. I know the runtime itself, as in which Android version it emulated, didn't change, but it does seem to work better and faster for me...

The Runtime update was available long before this 10.3.3 version. What did change is the fact that it's now listed in the update tab in "My World".

I can confirm that WiFi calling works on T-Mobile. Here's to little changes for the better.

Posted via CB10 From My Passport SE aka The Last Emperor
    12-05-16 08:42 AM
    It's a strange world you live in if you think a company doesn't have an obligation to fix vulnerabilities in a product that it officially stills supports and sells.
    There are still Android phones in bargain bins running K and L versions, but don't expect them to be updated, either.

Have you never heard the phrase 'Caveat Emptor?' It means, 'Buyer beware," and it means there is no such thing as an "implied" warranty. Unless there is a warranty contract or law giving a buyer an explicit right to support, then there is NO warranty on any item sold.

Posted via CB10
    Last edited by bb10adopter111; 12-05-16 at 02:39 PM.
    Elephant_Canyon likes this.
    12-05-16 10:43 AM
    This vision of a company that can sell to and then dump support for customers at will is sh!tty.

You make commitments to customers if you want them to make commitments to using your products.

If that's how BlackBerry goes about doing business, it won't BE in business for very long.
    Blackberry has always honored every explicit service agreement they've committed to. Unfortunately, there are many retail customers who have had unrealistic expectations and have been disappointed. The closest thing they ever came to a true failure was when a former CEO said that the PlayBook OS would eventually be upgradeable to BB10. Then they ran into engineering hurdles and failed to deliver that. But is was never a violation of their support commitments. The company had never guaranteed that upgrade.

Unfortunately, many retail tech consumers are not rational. They buy with their hearts not their heads and don't read the fine print on service agreements, privacy agreements, etc.

That's why Apple takes 90% of the profits in mobile phones with less than 20% market share. They focus on making their customers happy and loyal by surrounding them with a bubble of easy to use, adequate apps and hardware that are rarely objectively the "best," but are sufficiently good to prevent users switching platforms. But my 2013 BlackBerry Z10 on the current version of BB10 outperforms an iPhone of the same manufacture date running Apple's current bloated software. Plus, I can buy a new battery and replace the screen myself easily. Apple's forced obsolescence is great business, but Blackberry's superior efficiency and repairability is a much better value for users like me.

are Posted via CB10
    DrBoomBotz likes this.
    12-05-16 10:50 AM
    Have you never heard the phrase 'Caveat Emptor?'
    Have you ever heard of doing the right thing, treating your customers right, and last but not least - legislation on selling? The world's moved on since Roman times.
    12-05-16 11:43 AM
    Have you ever heard of doing the right thing, treating your customers right, and last but not least - legislation on selling? The world's moved on since Roman times.
    There is legislation in the US. It's called the Magnuson - Moss Act. If memory serves, you have 90 days. It used to be pre-printed on the back of every invoice when they used to use regular 8-1/2 x 11 paper. As for "doing the right thing", that's a Spike Lee flick. And just like movies, it's make believe.

Troy Tiscareno likes this.
    12-05-16 12:33 PM
    I like your summation of BlackBerry versus Apple, but I think BlackBerry is walking a fine line in terms of business ethics and maybe the law with respect to bb10 support.

Before this update at least, many websites stopped working. Blend is not working properly in many OS's -- maybe most of them. Blackberry continues to sell bb10 devices.

It is good they rolled out this update, but problems with Link and Blend should be fixed if they are going to sell their old stock to the public.

What a tragedy that Chen would not roll out the Passport in a proper fashion. The media widely reported it and was excited and then there were no devices to sell for 3-4 months.

Posted via CB10
    12-05-16 02:18 PM
    I always felt that BlackBerry has done "the right thing" for its customers. But, it's also true that I was always a business customer with clear expectations for what I wanted/needed. I have had no unpleasant surprises from the company in the 13 years I've been a Blackberry customer. The last phone I bought from them in March of 2013 still functions perfectly, better than when I bought it, in fact. And the 10.3.3 patch offers the hope that it may work perfectly for another two years.

Posted via CB10
    12-05-16 02:36 PM
    I like your summation of BlackBerry versus Apple, but I think BlackBerry is walking a fine line in terms of business ethics and maybe the law with respect to bb10 support.

Before this update at least, many websites stopped working. Blend is not working properly in many OS's -- maybe most of them. Blackberry continues to sell bb10 devices.

It is good they rolled out this update, but problems with Link and Blend should be fixed if they are going to sell their old stock to the public.

What a tragedy that Chen would not roll out the Passport in a proper fashion. The media widely reported it and was excited and then there were no devices to sell for 3-4 months.

Posted via CB10
    How do you figure? When BB OS10 debuted, the web browser worked just fine. If websites adopt new standards, that's not on BlackBerry. Karnak The Magnificent doesn't work in Waterloo so there's no one to guess what's going to happen years later. Remaining stock has a date of manufacture that governs merchantability issues. Updates are good business practices, customers feel they're an obligation of some sort and nothing is farther from the truth.
    12-05-16 03:36 PM
    There is legislation in the US. It's called the Magnuson - Moss Act. If memory serves, you have 90 days. It used to be pre-printed on the back of every invoice when they used to use regular 8-1/2 x 11 paper. As for "doing the right thing", that's a Spike Lee flick. And just like movies, it's make believe.

No way. In the EU you have at least a one year warranty on electrical goods like phones.

Any company that sells a product known to have unpatched major vulnerabilities would lose face, regardless of whether they'd be allowed to sell it or not. Certainly wouldn't become a company that has 'pivoted to software' and is an 'expert' on security.

I have no idea why anyone is defending the right of companies to dump sh"t and run ... might be a cultural thing?
    12-05-16 07:20 PM

I have no idea why anyone is defending the right of companies to dump sh"t and run ... might be a cultural thing?
    Nah. It's not being part of the "everybody owes me something", "I'm entitled to my entitlements", and "everything offends me" millennial generation.

If I research and buy a product, and it doesn't live up to my expectations for whatever reason (present or future), I shrug my shoulders, admit I miscalculated, and move on. I blame no one but myself.
    12-05-16 07:24 PM
    Nah. It's not being part of the "everybody owes me something", "I'm entitled to my entitlements", and "everything offends me" millennial generation.

If I research and buy a product, and it doesn't live up to my expectations for whatever reason (present or future), I shrug my shoulders, admit I miscalculated, and move on. I blame no one but myself.
    You read my mind.

12-05-16 07:43 PM

#notmysmartphone
    conite likes this.
    12-05-16 08:26 PM
    How do you figure? When BB OS10 debuted, the web browser worked just fine. If websites adopt new standards, that's not on BlackBerry. Karnak The Magnificent doesn't work in Waterloo so there's no one to guess what's going to happen years later. Remaining stock has a date of manufacture that governs merchantability issues. Updates are good business practices, customers feel they're an obligation of some sort and nothing is farther from the truth.
    I don't think the date of manufacture is decisive for either ethical or legal purposes. Consumers are not informed of the manufacture date before they pay money for a device. I believe that a company gives an implied warranty that a product will be fit for its intended purpose unless it indicates otherwise in very explicit terms.

If bb10 devices could no longer surf the internet (or large portions of it), for example, but Blackberry did not tell anyone then this might be unlawful, IMO. Definitely it's unethical.
    12-06-16 01:15 AM
    As expected.
    12-06-16 01:20 AM
    I don't think the date of manufacture is decisive for either ethical or legal purposes. Consumers are not informed of the manufacture date before they pay money for a device. I believe that a company gives an implied warranty that a product will be fit for its intended purpose unless it indicates otherwise in very explicit terms.

If bb10 devices could no longer surf the internet (or large portions of it), for example, but Blackberry did not tell anyone then this might be unlawful, IMO. Definitely it's unethical.
    What's the weather like in Utopia? I might want to move there and I'll make sure to bring my webOS devices with me.

12-06-16 07:48 AM
    What's the weather like in Utopia? I might want to move there and I'll make sure to bring my webOS devices with me.

I don't know. I live in a country where large corporations sometimes violate consumer protection statutes and find themselves the targets of a class action lawsuit. Or they anger their loyal customer base and go out of business. This is hardly utopian. Just reality.
    Last edited by markmall; 12-06-16 at 08:19 AM.
    12-06-16 08:02 AM
    No way. In the EU you have at least a one year warranty on electrical goods like phones.

Any company that sells a product known to have unpatched major vulnerabilities would lose face, regardless of whether they'd be allowed to sell it or not. Certainly wouldn't become a company that has 'pivoted to software' and is an 'expert' on security.

Blackberry's OS products are superior to Apple and Samsung's IMO. So it's not a question of BlackBerry dumping defective products. It's that a bunch of uninformed consumers thought they would get the same third party apps on BB10 that they get on Android and iOS. And then they complain about it, when it's completely their fault for not understanding what they were buying. It's like someone buying a Ford Transit van and wanting it to have the same features as a mainstream family van.

Posted via CB10
    fatclue_98 likes this.
    12-07-16 04:22 PM
    Blackberry's OS products are superior to Apple and Samsung's IMO. So it's not a question of BlackBerry dumping defective products. It's that a bunch of uninformed consumers thought they would get the same third party apps on BB10 that they get on Android and iOS. And then they complain about it, when it's completely their fault for not understanding what they were buying. It's like someone buying a Ford Transit van and wanting it to have the same features as a mainstream family van.

Posted via CB10
    Imagine that, people not talking responsibility for their own actions. BTW, the Transit Connect is available with "normal" passenger features, but you make a great point.

12-07-16 05:38 PM
    Imagine that, people not talking responsibility for their own actions. BTW, the Transit Connect is available with "normal" passenger features, but you make a great point.

He said Transit, not Transit Connect, yes it's confusing, but the Transit is a big full-size box van, while the Connect is the smaller one you're thinking of that does come in a passenger model. But then again, the full-size Transit might as well...

12-07-16 09:51 PM

Posted via CB10
    It's not about the third-party apps. It's about their own OS functioning well enough for their phone to serve its intended purpose.

Posted via CB10
    12-07-16 10:14 PM
    He said Transit, not Transit Connect, yes it's confusing, but the Transit is a big full-size box van, while the Connect is the smaller one you're thinking of that does come in a passenger model. But then again, the full-size Transit might as well...

I know there's 2 totally different Transit vans. FYI, the Transit does come in a passenger version. My daughter gets picked up in one everyday.

Sent from Alcatel Idol 4S with Windows via mTalk
    12-07-16 10:20 PM
    I know there's 2 totally different Transit vans. FYI, the Transit does come in a passenger version. My daughter gets picked up in one everyday.

Sent from Alcatel Idol 4S with Windows via mTalk
    Oh ok, I wasn't sure about the Transit. I actually worked for Ford, but at that time only the Connect was here in the USA. But it makes sense for them to have a passenger version as well, I guess it would be like a mini-bus like the old Econoline Club Wagon...

12-08-16 08:59 AM
    It's not about the third-party apps. It's about their own OS functioning well enough for their phone to serve its intended purpose.

Posted via CB10
    So, could you give examples of what you find to be defective in the BB10 OS? For me it works great, so I'm curious to hear what's stopped working for others.

Posted via CB10
    12-09-16 08:08 AM
89 1234