Dear fellow forum members,

as a lot of you who are already running the 10.2 leaks have probably noticed, there is a 'new' back bar visible at the bottom of every android app. We have noticed a lot of people have questions about this bar, mainly;
    1. Can I turn it off/disable it?
    2. Is it still there? (upon posting of new leak material)
    3. When will it be gone?

I'd like to address these questions now so there can be no doubt and there's no need to keep asking the same question.
    1. No, you can not turn it off or disable it. A few people have had the bar disappear briefly, but this was due to the fact that the android runtime for 10.2 is still under development and therefore not entirely bug-free. Excuse me, issue-free.
    Developers who port their apps to provide them through BB World will be able to design their app in such a way that the bar is not present. This is up to them and again, not something that you can disable if they decide to keep the back bar.

2. Yes. It's still there.

3. It won't. This may be the most important of them all. Apparently a number of people had trouble figuring out how to navigate through android based apps, ported or sideloaded. That's why we now have the bar, and that's why it stays there unless the developer decides to design their app differently. There is NO indication whatsoever that this will change in the future. If BlackBerry someday decides to come back on their decision, we won't get a notice telling us that they're changing things back. With the information we have at this time, all we can tell you is that the back bar is here to stay, on current leaks and on future leaks and official OSes.

I hope this clears things up a bit. Keep enjoying the leaks!

Edit: We have recently learned BlackBerry has changed their mind after all. The bar will return to its old state on upcoming releases of 10.2. Read the CB article: Android app player update will once again allow for hiding of the Android bar in apps | CrackBerry.com
    Last edited by VeniceBB; 09-11-13 at 12:37 AM. Reason: Addition of new information
    08-25-13 02:30 AM
    I personally like the back bar, it does make navigation a lot easier.

Posted via CB10
    moody and Rage Riley like this.
    08-25-13 03:10 AM
    +1, me too

Posted via CB10
    08-25-13 03:12 AM
    Not on the q10, limits the screen view
    08-25-13 03:45 AM
    I can understand that though... would be annoying to have on the q10

Posted via CB10
    eldricho likes this.
    08-25-13 04:43 AM
    Your keyboard limits the screen view...

Posted via CB10; Z10STL100-2/10.2.0.1371
    Last edited by scook94; 08-25-13 at 02:50 PM.
    08-25-13 05:18 AM
    The back bar in 10.2 was made more smaller so I think it will suitable and be more usefull if it showed. I use z10, the q10 user might have a different decision, because q10 has smaller screen

Posted via CB10
    08-25-13 06:00 AM
    Should have got a Z10 then haha

Posted via CB10
    newcollector likes this.
    08-25-13 06:18 AM

Posted via CB10
    If you feel something around your neck, thats me using my Darth Vader powers to strangle you remotely...
    08-25-13 06:23 AM
    I have a z10 and I totally hate it, specially when playing sideloaded games in landscape mode.

Posted via CB10
    brout likes this.
    08-25-13 07:19 AM
    With the information we have at this time, all we can tell you is that the back bar is here to stay, on current leaks and on future leaks and official OSes.
    Thanks for this post. But I just don't agree with your final assertion. How can you be that sure? 10.2 is still under development and its final release is not due before many many weeks! BlackBerry knows how annoying this back bar is to Q10 owners who run 10.2 leaks on their devices. And the company cannot rely on third-party app developers to decide if the uggly bar should be hidden or not. I am sure BlackBerry will eventually provide us with an option to hide it. Cheer up!
    blicked likes this.
    08-25-13 08:09 AM
    Thanks for this post. But I just don't agree with your final assertion. How can you be that sure? 10.2 is still under development and its final release is not due before many many weeks! BlackBerry knows how annoying this back bar is to Q10 owners who run 10.2 leaks on their devices and cannot rely on app developers to decide if the uggly bar should be hidden or not. I am sure BlackBerry will eventually provide us with an option to hide it. Cheer up!
    A developer can remove it. It's possible. Your sideloading is not supported. So why would they provide such option?

Tapped on my Z10 in CB10 | #BerryLeaks
    08-25-13 08:12 AM
    [QUOTE=Adam Szucs;9065587]So why would they provide such option?/QUOTE]

...so that BlackBerry customers feel free to configure their devices and optimize their own mobile experience. Am I being too liberal, here?
    blicked likes this.
    08-25-13 08:17 AM
    Thanks for this post. But I just don't agree with your final assertion. How can you be that sure? 10.2 is still under development and its final release is not due before many many weeks! BlackBerry knows how annoying this back bar is to Q10 owners who run 10.2 leaks on their devices. And the company cannot rely on third-party app developers to decide if the uggly bar should be hidden or not. I am sure BlackBerry will eventually provide us with an option to hide it. Cheer up!
    I don't have a crystal ball to look into the future. Is it possible for the folks at BlackBerry to change their minds in the future? Yes.
    But again, with the information we have at this time from sources there are no plans at all to change this and that's why it makes absolutely no sense to keep on asking

Btw, for those interested, there is a bit more background info to be found in our first hangout, at the 34:52 mark.
    08-25-13 11:53 AM
    [QUOTE=Montmartre;9065613]
    So why would they provide such option?/QUOTE]

...so that BlackBerry customers feel free to configure their devices and optimize their own mobile experience. Am I being too liberal, here?
    Actually the runtime is provided so developers can test their apps that they want to port over to BlackBerry not so the everyday layman cab sideload whatever they want.

Posted from my BerryLeak mind controlled Z10STL100-4/10.2.0.1xxx LE, while drunk
    stooy leown and Mecca EL like this.
    08-25-13 12:53 PM
    Your keyboard limits the screen view... P

Waiting for that slider BB10 phone

Should have got a Z10 then haha

Posted via CB10
    I have both
    08-25-13 01:50 PM
    I don't like it.

Posted via CB10 app on my Z10 Stl100-1 on 10.2.0.1047
    08-25-13 02:17 PM
    Interesting that it is mentioned here that the developers will have the ability to change how the "bar" is handled in their apps.

When I suggested that this ability could be possible in the near future I summarily hammered with a post from a team member stating I was clearly wrong with the implied implication that I was stupid for suggesting the very idea.

Quote from the OP below:

"Developers who port their apps to provide them through BB World will be able to design their app in such a way that the bar is not present."

-------------

I respectfully submit this post with the quote as evidence that I'm clearly not that stupid nor was I incorrect in my suggestion.

--------------

In addition I reserve the right to repost this post in part or in its entirety with the original post on the thread where I was eronusly corrected. (if I can find the time to look for it)

Posted via CB10 | STL 100-3 | OS .1323 | by a Crackberry squircle addict
    08-25-13 03:16 PM
    User error
    BerryWizard likes this.
    08-25-13 03:17 PM
    Good post. I think it is need to be "Sticky". Also I think that if devs can disable this bar in their ports, where will be a new user-friendly converter toolpack, that convert .apk to .bar without this annoying sticky bar.
    For that time, imho, I will stay with latest greatest 10.1 leaks on my Q10.

Posted via CB10
    08-25-13 03:54 PM
    Sucks on the q10

Sent from my G Pro via tapatalk 4.
    merli001 and absolut20 like this.
    08-25-13 04:57 PM

Posted via CB10
    ^^^^^^^^^
    Prob likes the hub icon also...

Sorry, but the gestures and fluid movement without a back button was such a strong part if the os... made it different and once you play with it for about 10 mins it's almost natural. I say black list the black bar. Q or Z

Posted via CB10
    08-25-13 05:02 PM
    ^^^^^^^^^
    Prob likes the hub icon also...

Sorry, but the gestures and fluid movement without a back button was such a strong part if the os... made it different and once you play with it for about 10 mins it's almost natural. I say black list the black bar. Q or Z

Posted via CB10
    I enjoy all the other peek and flow gestures, however for me the Android back swipe was a bit annoying and I can see how adding it in makes sense to appeal to a wider audience who are not as in tune. Though, it should be an option like the 10.1 runtime

Posted via CB10
    08-25-13 09:43 PM
    Your keyboard limits the screen view...

So what happens if you see 2 back bar a single app view? Some android applications have it own back bar. Tell me what limit my view on Q10?
    08-25-13 09:58 PM
    Maybe it needs to be there for some users, maybe it doesn't matter that much by staying there for some apps, but for certain kinds of apps, it's just plain annoying, and should be able to hide automatically. For example video service apps, when you are watching a movie, or a show, and turn on full screen mode, the bar shouldn't be there anymore, and i don't think it should be the app owner's responsibility to make it happen, it should be the OS' job. Simply put, it's a decision that may be important for BBRY, but it's definitely not a good one.
    08-26-13 12:36 AM
89 123 ...