07-11-17 02:11 PM
259 ... 891011
tools
    He said he was going to do a DYI smartphone, he did not say a DYI BB10 phone.
    Yup! It'll be DIY and run on Debian, or much more likely, OS-less running on microcontrollers like I did with my watch.

Posted to CB via my Passport | Lloyd Summers | FileArchiveHaven
    BigBadWulf likes this.
    06-06-17 07:56 PM
    There is still Sailfish and Tizen.

Posted via CB10
    I know of no easy way to get a sailfish phone compatible with North American 4g.
    06-08-17 08:07 AM
    I really wish Microsoft would tip its hand on its cellular PC road map before I have to make an upgrade decision from BB10.

I like the KEYone, but don't want to get it if cellular PCs that are always on with 8 hr+ battery life will be out before next spring. Qualcomm said 4th quarter, but we don't have any details or confirmation from Microsoft.

So long as I can receive and make phone calls hands free from a BT headset on a laptop while driving, I can do everything else with Windows 10 Pro.

It would be sweet to simply ditch my smart phone altogether.

Posted with my trusty Z10
    Avenzuno likes this.
    06-14-17 09:32 AM
    Not sure where I am going to go, tried the iPhone 7 and KEYone but always want to return to the Classic and BB10. Maybe I will return my KEYone for now and just use my Classic until I find something I like better. Wasn't impressed by the iPhone 7 at all and not a huge fan of Android so far but have to pick one or the other. Might give iPhone another chance when I have to since I have an iMac. Sucks BB10 didn't make it...

Posted via CB10
    06-15-17 12:39 PM
    Not sure where I am going to go, tried the iPhone 7 and KEYone but always want to return to the Classic and BB10. Maybe I will return my KEYone for now and just use my Classic until I find something I like better.
    Posted via CB10
    What was missing or deficient in the KEYone experience that made you want to return to the Classic and BB10? Details please! and thank you in advance.

Posted via CB10
    06-15-17 02:01 PM
    Mainly I am not ready to give up BB10 right now unless there is something that handles actual communication like the Classic does such as email, text, and calls. KEYone not having the hub baked in was a little disappointing plus the keyboard keys are smaller... I really feel like i'm over the smart phones that are built for social media rather than communication but that is where it's going.

I'd rather do without those things and have a phone the emails, text, and calls better than the others vs the app crazy Android and iPhone, I find I don't need or use most of the apps I download or I can just use a tablet or computer for those.

The decision has already been made with BlackBerry and I will have to move on sooner or later but right now for me the Classic does what I need the first time vs iPhone and Android that I have to delete or file messages multiple times wasting time on basic functions a smart phone should have. In short besides apps I think Android and iPhone are a downgrade from BB10 in the basic OS function. Battery life on KEYone is amazing, other than that I will probably return, get my money back, and get another Classic off eBay for the time being.

If they made a newer Classic a cross between the current Classic and Passport with the Google Play app store accessible and bring back the Bold name that would be my perfect phone. And then bring back the Curve name for lower end keyboard devices. People would have had brand recognition instead of the new names BlackBerry has had. But the nail is in the coffin already and it's already been done.

Posted via CB10
    Last edited by SC457; 06-15-17 at 11:54 PM.
    Mrs Teapot likes this.
    06-15-17 02:17 PM
    According to the luminaries here, it costs $5 billion to do the coding.

Posted via CB10
    file 5x lawsuit to qualcomm.
    06-15-17 03:50 PM
    OnePus 5
    06-17-17 05:18 AM
    If they made a newer Classic a cross between the current Classic and Passport with the Google Play app store accessible... that would be my perfect phone.
    That's exactly what the KEYᴼᴺᴱ is. It is a hybrid Passport SE and Classic. Why have a toolbelt when Android can't use it and the touch sensitive keyboard from the Passport is better? The only way to get a viable and secure Google Play Store on your phone is via Android. Cobalts solutions can't work forever nor at the scale BlackBerry would need for corporate customers.

I myself am using BB10 and enjoy it. What I deem "unusable" is different than other users. To me BBOS on a Bold or Curve is still usable until they pull BIS. But with BB10 we don't have to worry about that. We've reached a cellphone saturation point that you can pretty much buy any device or OS you choose, and the manufacturers are competing to keep the installed user base buying. I honestly think it be a long time before my BB10 can't take calls, send SMS, connect to email or light web browsing. When that happens, I hope BlackBerry has really developed their Android offering as a better solution to the stock. So far the KEYᴼᴺᴱ looks like a step in the right direction and my option moving forward. Hope it holds up to 3-5 years of use like my BB10 devices have.

 C L A S S I C • SQC100-3/10.3.3.2205 on Verizon
    06-18-17 12:52 PM
    That's exactly what the KEYᴼᴺᴱ is. It is a hybrid Passport SE and Classic. Why have a toolbelt when Android can't use it and the touch sensitive keyboard from the Passport is better? The only way to get a viable and secure Google Play Store on your phone is via Android. Cobalts solutions can't work forever nor at the scale BlackBerry would need for corporate customers.

I myself am using BB10 and enjoy it. What I deem "unusable" is different than other users. To me BBOS on a Bold or Curve is still usable until they pull BIS. But with BB10 we don't have to worry about that. We've reached a cellphone saturation point that you can pretty much buy any device or OS you choose, and the manufacturers are competing to keep the installed user base buying. I honestly think it be a long time before my BB10 can't take calls, send SMS, connect to email or light web browsing. When that happens, I hope BlackBerry has really developed their Android offering as a better solution to the stock. So far the KEYᴼᴺᴱ looks like a step in the right direction and my option moving forward. Hope it holds up to 3-5 years of use like my BB10 devices have.

 C L A S S I C • SQC100-3/10.3.3.2205 on Verizon
    I agree with that. My point was I would have rather had a new BB10 device a cross between Classic and Passport with an agreement to be able to use the Google Play store on BB10 like they tried with Amazon if it was possible. KEYone is a step in the right direction and I hope it leads to further development. Just not sold on Android or iOS as an alternative to BB10 yet. KEYone is the best option to replace my Classic to keep a keyboard phone.

Posted via CB10
    06-18-17 01:34 PM
    No I doubt that you would be generous, and stick to your word.

That's not how you come across.
    Dang. _That's_ cold. Sheesh.

Passport SE: All the snooty prestige of a device with a precious metal in the name at less than half the price!
    06-18-17 04:16 PM
    I agree with that. My point was I would have rather had a new BB10 device a cross between Classic and Passport with an agreement to be able to use the Google Play store on BB10 like they tried with Amazon if it was possible. KEYone is a step in the right direction and I hope it leads to further development. Just not sold on Android or iOS as an alternative to BB10 yet. KEYone is the best option to replace my Classic to keep a keyboard phone.

Posted via CB10
    Not possible
    06-18-17 04:41 PM
    Not possible
    I know

Posted via CB10
    kbz1960 likes this.
    06-18-17 04:42 PM
    tried the iPhone 7 and KEYone but always want to return to the Classic and BB10.
    I hear you. I loved my Q10, the red LE and I still love my Passport. The KEYONE is a no go for me as it looks like TCL doesn't want to support my carrier and shop blackberry is no more for unlocked devices. Even then it won't work on my carriers LTE.

I did end up buying a non-bbry phone as a backup (it has a fancy stylus and I can use it for work in gamedev).

My first circuit boards for the DIY cell phone arrived last week - nothing fancy just some custom protoboards to speed up prototyping. I have all the displays, controllers, and components... still need an AWS friendly radio.

Posted to CB via my Passport | Lloyd Summers | FileArchiveHaven
    06-19-17 10:40 AM
    I'm rockin' a Xiaomi Mi 4 now (Mi 4 - Mi Global Home). I put the Passport in the drawer and haven't looked back. I'd highly recommend any Xiaomi as they are rock solid and priced right.
    06-28-17 08:34 AM
    I'm rockin' a Xiaomi Mi 4 now (Mi 4 - Mi Global Home). I put the Passport in the drawer and haven't looked back. I'd highly recommend any Xiaomi as they are rock solid and priced right.
    Does the Mi 4 work on American carrier networks?

Posted via CB10 from my 100-4 Passport SE
    06-28-17 01:04 PM
    Does the Mi 4 work on American carrier networks?

I don't think it'll get LTE, only HSPA+. It's from 2014, just so you know.
    06-28-17 01:17 PM
    I don't think it'll get LTE, only HSPA+. It's from 2014, just so you know.
    OK thanks. I must be thinking of the Note 4, which was from last year I believe and can be found mainly in India and China.

06-28-17 05:10 PM
    If you get the 4G,LTE International version it does. But t I don't think it has CDMA so no Verizon. Just check the version and what your American carrier requires before importing one.

Also, be very careful who you buy from. This phone was faked alot so only buy from a reputable dealer like Gearbest in the UK. There are others.
    06-28-17 11:33 PM
    If you get the 4G,LTE International version it does. But t I don't think it has CDMA so no Verizon. Just check the version and what your American carrier requires before importing one.

Also, be very careful who you buy from. This phone was faked alot so only buy from a reputable dealer like Gearbest in the UK. There are others.
    06-28-17 11:33 PM
    There's an International version that has LTE, GSM, ect.. No CDMA. Though. So, yes it has 4G
    06-28-17 11:35 PM
    I'd love to see a Surface phone, but I trust Microsoft less and less these days. Windows 10 is a privacy and UX mess, same as Android imo.

iOS is getting a native file manager similar to the one in BB10, so that could sway me.

As much as I dislike Apple, I definitely trust them more than I will ever trust Google or Microsoft.

Posted via CB10
    06-30-17 12:22 AM
    My next phone after bb10 is already decided, a Nokia lumia 830. It's in the drawer right now, my emergency backup should my passport die.

My second backup is a terrible LG lucky piece of android junk.

After that, I jump ship from ATT to sprint and activate my Q10, or maybe try the upcoming Essential phone .

Signature: Still typing away on my Passport SE!
    06-30-17 03:09 AM
    I have a question for those that want to go android way: why not blackdroid? Android aside key one looks pretty nice so why not go with it instead of a plain vanilla android?
    06-30-17 05:44 AM
    Stupid iPhone

Posted via CB10
    06-30-17 02:27 PM
259 ... 891011