There might be sailfish and tizen but I have not been able to find a phone running said OS. I have tried android, ios, windows 8, 8.1 and 10. I have tested a phone with. Firefox OS also. None is better than BB10 and definitely no alternative to bb10, from my point of view.
    05-21-17 08:56 AM
    I ended up ordering the KEYone this week. Not a lot of options for OS but this is a nice phone.
    05-21-17 11:13 AM
    There might be sailfish and tizen but I have not been able to find a phone running said OS. I have tried android, ios, windows 8, 8.1 and 10. I have tested a phone with. Firefox OS also. None is better than BB10 and definitely no alternative to bb10, from my point of view.
    Once BB10 is not usable, I am hopeful there will be a good Sailfish alternative in the US. There really should be an alternative where you don't trade your life's details for a smartphone (other than iOS). (No, I don't want to debate terms of service with anyone.)

Posted via CB10
    05-21-17 04:24 PM
    Once BB10 is not usable, I am hopeful there will be a good Sailfish alternative in the US. There really should be an alternative where you don't trade your life's details for a smartphone (other than iOS). (No, I don't want to debate terms of service with anyone.)

Posted via CB10
    Should be, really? There already was. That's problem. NOBODY will pay the price. Over the last 10 years, people have proven they'll gladly trade whatever IOS or Android demands for their respective ecosystem rather than support the other failing OS. You will eventually go along with it or use a feature basic phone if they're still offered. At some point, your simple footprint will identify you just as easy so the effort to avoid is wasted. Better to accept TOS of life and just contaminate the data collection with false information.
    05-21-17 04:54 PM
    Flip feature phone seem like your only other option :O

Posted via CB10
    05-21-17 05:34 PM
    Jolla Sailfish 2.0 Os smartphone is t:he way to go. Crapdroid no way!

Posted via CB10
    05-21-17 09:45 PM
    Sailfish Jolla is looking good. They can run droid apps without google services and use a kitkat runtime.

Sent from one of my SE Passports using BB10 superior software.
    05-22-17 09:25 AM
    Sailfish Jolla is looking good. They can run droid apps without google services and use a kitkat runtime.

Possibly looking into Sailfish 2.1 OS myself. Supposedly Sony is supposed to come out with a version on its Sony Xperia X ($250 on B&H last time I checked) by the end of this month.
    06-02-17 10:08 PM

Lack of Google Play Services still rules out many apps almost exactly like BlackBerry 10.
    06-03-17 05:44 AM
    When my Passport dies, I'll be going back to my trusty old Motorola V6 Maxx Special Edition (it's currently my backup phone). Yes, I know that sounds weird (esp. given my young age) but I'm serious.

Posted via CB10 using my amazing  Passport (OG Red) <3
    06-03-17 03:56 PM
    No need to "go" anywhere. Just stick with BlackBerry 10. That's what I do. I'm on a Q10.
    KermEd likes this.
    06-03-17 04:05 PM
    Bb10 and an android, sold my iphone today.

Posted via CB10
    06-03-17 04:26 PM
    I'm in the same boat holding onto BB10 as long as I can.

When I do finally run out of devices (I have 5 or 6 still), I'm still heart set on doing a DIY smart phone . I've been doing some IoT stuff for a while, so rolling your own is definitely doable these days - and for reasonably cheap. But the effort is on you to assemble the phone & code everything.

Still, it is worth the effort for me though.

Posted to CB via my Passport | Lloyd Summers | FileArchiveHaven
    06-04-17 12:11 AM
    My current thinking if it really comes to it... Complement my Passport with an Android tablet which I need for work anyway; or an android DAP which I could also enjoy; or one of those really tiny android phones (but Chinese non brand). But all of this assumes specific apps can work on sim-less android, like whatsapp, and that I'm forced to move because they work really poorly on the passport. The Keyone looks nice but I can't see myself carrying two phones.
    06-04-17 06:45 PM
    I'm in the same boat holding onto BB10 as long as I can.

When I do finally run out of devices (I have 5 or 6 still), I'm still heart set on doing a DIY smart phone . I've been doing some IoT stuff for a while, so rolling your own is definitely doable these days - and for reasonably cheap. But the effort is on you to assemble the phone & code everything.

Still, it is worth the effort for me though.

According to the luminaries here, it costs $5 billion to do the coding.

Posted via CB10
    06-04-17 09:14 PM
    I started carrying two phones for a few dating apps. I really hate juggling phones but I like BB10 too much.

Posted via CB10
    06-04-17 09:17 PM

Posted via CB10
    Yeeeesh! Then I can make a few bucks on this .

I've previously done a big chunk of this for projects before (gps/gsm/data storage/camera etc). It'll take me some time, a week or two, to tie it all together into a single device & another week or two of prototyping boards.

Most of this I did for my DIY smart watch project. And that was only a few days... that is honestly about it (especially for a solo custom phone for myself).

If it was completely new to someone, or they wanted to make it sellable, I could see it being a formidable challenge. But a roll your own DIY device? Only care about apps not games? You could roll a custom one for 200-300 including the circuit boards and components...

BigBadWulf likes this.
    06-04-17 09:21 PM

Posted via CB10
    There's no need to be insulting.

Prove them wrong. Draw up a business plan, get some investors, license and turn BB10 up to 11. You have the passion for it.

For now, no matter whatever educated guesstimate someone can provide, the real cost can be defined simply as "too much".
    06-04-17 09:49 PM
    There's no need to be insulting.

Prove them wrong. Draw up a business plan, get some investors, license and turn BB10 up to 11. You have the passion for it.

For now, no matter whatever educated guesstimate someone can provide, the real cost can be defined simply as "too much".
    I didn't mean to be insulting. Some of the Android people help with BB10 advice. But I think that notion about drivers and costs came from something Chen himself said. Not sure if the DIY phone involves coding drivers.

Posted via CB10
    06-05-17 03:04 AM
    I started carrying two phones for a few dating apps. I really hate juggling phones but I like BB10 too much.

Posted via CB10
    If you have dating apps, then you should be juggling phones.
    06-05-17 04:46 AM
    I just wondered, where all the refugees from bb10 might end up going?

Whether you know of any other modern keyboard phones, or modern all touch phones with keyboard attachments too. For me, that's probably as important as the OS.

For me, even if Android did it for me (which I guess it kinda does, better than iOS I suppose), the new designs are more focused on the screen than the keyboard. Keyboard is compressed and minimised. And the size of the phones are quite large.

So where might you go, soon, or in 1-3 years, when you are cast out by the quirky but loveable bb10?

And what would you be looking for in a device?

Myself, I want something pocketable (If not I may as well carry a phablet/tablet), with a nice keyboard, hmdi out, and preferably a hybrid OS (at this stage ie windows, although perhaps samsungs android DeX will work out)
    I think you're asking for things that don't exist. And to look 1-3 years in the future? Good luck with that.

1. There is NO other physical keyboard alternative to BlackBerry. And Blackberry sued the only keyboard attachment company out of business a year or two ago so don't hold your breath for an attachment.
    2. Hybrid OS like Windows - Wow, you are looking for pain. MS Windows phone is all but dead as well.
    3. It's an Android or iOS world. The good news is there are tons of great sub-$300 Android phones. They will be Chinese (OPPO, Xiaomi, Huawei, Lenovo, Vivo) but their better than their overpriced Korean counterparts. And they're making 5" versions too so they're not mammoth in size.
    4. You're stuck with an all-touch keyboard but the BlackBerry Keyboard is great. That's the one I'd get.

Posted via CB10
    Avenzuno likes this.
    06-05-17 05:15 AM
    I didn't mean to be insulting. Some of the Android people help with BB10 advice. But I think that notion about drivers and costs came from something Chen himself said. Not sure if the DIY phone involves coding drivers.

Posted via CB10
    He said he was going to do a DYI smartphone, he did not say a DYI BB10 phone.
    KermEd and BigBadWulf like this.
    06-05-17 09:33 AM
    I think you're asking for things that don't exist. And to look 1-3 years in the future? Good luck with that.

1. There is NO other physical keyboard alternative to BlackBerry. And Blackberry sued the only keyboard attachment company out of business a year or two ago so don't hold your breath for an attachment.
    Posted via CB10
    Anyone can make a keyboard phone. In the past there were tons of keyboard phones on the market. The one BlackBerry sued was a complete copy of the BlackBerry keyboard key design. I know at one time Samsung had several keyboard phones on the market. I had several coworkers who used keyboard Android phones. They switched to slab because they wanted bigger screens. The reason all the Android keyboard phones left the market was lack of sales.
    06-05-17 09:39 AM
    The reason all the Android keyboard phones left the market was lack of sales.
    You proved my point.

For those of us living on planet Earth and pondering what makes an ideal phone (like the OP) it only makes sense to discuss what actually might get made. Otherwise your wasting time.

Of course anyone can make an Android Keyboard. But nobody will for the above reason.

Posted via CB10
    06-05-17 09:58 AM
    Personally I feel we are in a lull between the end of the first phase of smart phones and the convergence of mobile and PCs I want that is likely 3-5 years away. I can't do any meaningful work without my laptop with me EXCEPT for the stuff I can do perfectly on my BB10 phone. So why get excited about a different smart phone?
    ^^^
    This.

Posted via CB10
    06-05-17 01:16 PM
259 ... 7891011