Pretty sure the KEYone will be one of the smallest devices on the market...

Posted via CB10
    04-08-17 08:06 PM
    Very good. Its speakers are front and back so no matter how you lay it down you can hear the music. Headphones seem to work well also.
    I understand some peoples reluctance to use WM because of the uncertainty of the platform on phones but there are some good current phones that are being supported with frequent updates. I agree with you that the future is set in a new, exciting direction. That's a ways off though. For now, though limited, there are device choices that can be used and I think are a natural move for BlackBerry users.

Sent from mTalk on my SP4
    I think the combination so furious investment, and zero official announcement is what it is. They developed a means for flashing an android device with win 10 mobile (Mi 4), with a literal "no comment" response on future applications. You can read between the lines I suspect. They are similarly tight lipped on redstone 3, and the win32 emu's applications, even though mobiles are getting two big updates this year.

Its frustrating for win 10 mobile fans, but its pretty clear things are in the works, just hard as a consumer to know exactly when that kicks in. As you say, they still get loads of frequent updates - no one would do that with a platform they were planning to leave. I suspect their are commercial reasons for their silence -the element of surprise.

That's good to hear mainly about the speakers though, that's a high priority for me in a device, is sound quality.
    Last edited by Drael646464; 04-08-17 at 09:00 PM.
    04-08-17 08:49 PM
    Pretty sure the KEYone will be one of the smallest devices on the market...

Posted via CB10
    You mean, the worst selling, or the smallest size?
    04-08-17 08:50 PM
    I'm like you and the poster above.

The best option for me right now, is a Sony xperia with Sailfish installed. Sony has been pushing open source OS phones. The newest Xperia will accept Sailfish.

But I can say, with my camera acting up.....I'm getting 'no BB10' anxiety.
    As I understand it, the drivers for Sailfish installs on new phones is community driver, open source, and doesn't need to be officially sanctioned. (which probably Microsoft should do with their mobile OS, so it can be installed on a range of android phones)

Is that wrong? Or are you saying Sony in particular are very cool about giving their driver code out?

Humour me, I know very little about sailfish
    04-08-17 08:51 PM
    need something secure like blackberry.
    Maybe "Jolla" or perhaps "Ubuntu".

Nothing in the immediate horizon as far as I can see.

I think "Jolla" and "Sony" are coming up with a version using Xperia X sometime mid year according to their press release.

I hope eventually a keyboard version will spring outta "Sony-Jolla",maybe my Passport will have totally EOL by then.

No new models from Ubuntu phone. Maybe in a coma now.

No other choice but Apple or Android.

Windows/Nokia phone?

Unknown really. No real alternative. Really Sad.

Peace.

"Emergency Calls Only", on an INFECTED Passport with NO CURE in sight.
    Drael646464 likes this.
    04-08-17 10:04 PM
    I'm like you and the poster above.

The best option for me right now, is a Sony xperia with Sailfish installed. Sony has been pushing open source OS phones. The newest Xperia will accept Sailfish.

But I can say, with my camera acting up.....I'm getting 'no BB10' anxiety.
    Same for me. I think maybe Jolla-Sony Sailfish too.

04-08-17 10:06 PM
    You mean, the worst selling, or the smallest size?
    I personally would not buy a KEYone.

Last edited by kunz1925shooter; 04-09-17 at 10:42 AM.
    04-08-17 10:07 PM
    As I understand it, the drivers for Sailfish installs on new phones is community driver, open source, and doesn't need to be officially sanctioned. (which probably Microsoft should do with their mobile OS, so it can be installed on a range of android phones)

Is that wrong? Or are you saying Sony in particular are very cool about giving their driver code out?

I think that would good for the spirit of competition.

Why not have Microsoft also have a go at it too.

More choices for us migrants.

But for me, I would like to try Sailfish first before giving Microsoft a try.

Maybe it's the open source thing for me.

Peace.

04-08-17 10:12 PM
    It's about apps, it's about android
    Google is using/stealing all your data
    You phonebook, your location
    Peeking into your mails... almost everything you are doing

Posted via CB10
    sonicpix likes this.
    04-09-17 01:18 AM

Posted via CB10
    And it's about babies. Google eats babies.
    anon(9803228) likes this.
    04-09-17 05:53 AM
    Google takes what you choose to give. I've yet to hear of anyone who has had a gun pointed at their head by Google - people CHOOSE to accept their Terms Of Service in exchange for a whole host of services - or they can turn off all of the sharing and go without those services. That's all CHOICE.
    04-09-17 10:03 AM

I'm no tech expert, but Jolla who make Sailfish, announced the newest Sony will accept Sailfish. I learned about Sailfish in these forums. Someone thought that Sailfish may be as good or better than BB10. Look for a youtube video.

I read a bit on Sony promoting open OS phones.

Intex sells Sailfish phones. There's an ornate one for about $100 from India on ebay, but the seller has a checkered sell rating.
    04-09-17 10:04 AM
    I think that would good for the spirit of competition.

Why not have Microsoft also have a go at it too.

More choices for us migrants.

But for me, I would like to try Sailfish first before giving Microsoft a try.

Maybe it's the open source thing for me.

Peace.

I've seen Intex selling cheap Sailfish phones. I'm tempted to get one but the seller has a lower than comfortable sell rating. No returns and some phones come used or broken.
    kunz1925shooter likes this.
    04-09-17 10:07 AM
    Google takes what you choose to give. I've yet to hear of anyone who has had a gun pointed at their head by Google - people CHOOSE to accept their Terms Of Service in exchange for a whole host of services - or they can turn off all of the sharing and go without those services. That's all CHOICE.
    Are you saying that if you decline to accept their terms you can still use ALL the apps and Android? Because that's what you are implying. And if you can't then there is no choice using Google.
    satchit likes this.
    04-09-17 10:11 AM
    Are you saying that if you decline to accept their terms you can still use ALL the apps and Android? Because that's what you are implying. And if you can't then there is no choice using Google.
    or they can turn off all of the sharing and go without those services. That's all CHOICE.

People are free to either not use those stock Google apps, or to replace them with apps from other developers. They're also free not to buy an Android phone. iOS and WinPhone exist, and for some people, Tizen or Sailfish could be options too. Hell, a feature phone is also an option.

But Google doesn't STEAL anything - if Google has the data from your Android phone, it's because you CHOSE to give it to them, and you "signed" a TOS allowing Google to take it.

Google isn't responsible for you, YOU are responsible for you. That old adage always applies, no matter what the product or service: Caveat Emptor - Buyer Beware.
    BigBadWulf and DrBoomBotz like this.
    04-09-17 10:18 AM
    I've seen Intex selling cheap Sailfish phones. I'm tempted to get one but the seller has a lower than comfortable sell rating. No returns and some phones come used or broken.
    Hehehe,you me and everybody else that might be interested in SailFish should probably just try to wait a bit longer for the Sony - Jolla Xperia to come out.

We might get burned if the seller of the Intex SailFish is iffy...

We already some what got burned due to BlackBerry 's abandoning it's own platform.

...twice burned would not be healthy for us.

I actually feel excited with the enthusiasm of BlackBerry users in considering such an alternative to the current mainstream of Android and Apple...

...it's like a breath of fresh air.

Via a very battered white BlackBerry z30 , running on the fumes of love...LoLz!!!
    04-09-17 10:52 AM
    most of the android users are not aware of what google is taking from them
    as soon as you buy a android phone and sign into the device for the 1st time , you are in the radar of google.
    they can use everything , your information , mails , location everything.
    that the business of google , a android user is the product for google and not the phone.
    thats how google makes money
    04-09-17 01:56 PM
    if you are in Europe or north America, I wouldn't risk it. My understanding is that the intex phone doesn't meet regulatory requirements here, so cannot be imported. If customs spot it on the way in, they will seize and destroy it. No refunds!

Posted via CB10
    04-09-17 03:16 PM
    or they can turn off all of the sharing and go without those services. That's all CHOICE.

People are free to either not use those stock Google apps, or to replace them with apps from other developers. They're also free not to buy an Android phone. iOS and WinPhone exist, and for some people, Tizen or Sailfish could be options too. Hell, a feature phone is also an option.

But Google doesn't STEAL anything - if Google has the data from your Android phone, it's because you CHOSE to give it to them, and you "signed" a TOS allowing Google to take it.

Google isn't responsible for you, YOU are responsible for you. That old adage always applies, no matter what the product or service: Caveat Emptor - Buyer Beware.
    So you are saying, accept Google's terms or don't use the phone? Because that's the problem. In order to use their OS you have to allow they to collect.

15 years ago we called it spyware, today we call them apps.
    04-09-17 04:31 PM
    if you are in Europe or north America, I wouldn't risk it. My understanding is that the intex phone doesn't meet regulatory requirements here, so cannot be imported. If customs spot it on the way in, they will seize and destroy it. No refunds!

Posted via CB10
    I checked with Rogers in Canada and they said it would work on their network.
    04-09-17 04:32 PM
    most of the android users are not aware of what google is taking from them
    as soon as you buy a android phone and sign into the device for the 1st time , you are in the radar of google.
    they can use everything , your information , mails , location everything.
    that the business of google , a android user is the product for google and not the phone.
    thats how google makes money
    most people have been on googles radar for going on 20 years probably. Many people already have a gmail account and use google search. You are correct they do have more access to data when you also use android phone but its not like most people never google services to begin with.
    BigBadWulf and anon(9803228) like this.
    04-09-17 04:43 PM
    Oh, it works (apart from on 4g bands I think). But it was produced for Indian consumers, so Intex have not been through the various regulatory procedures for Europe and North America. Without the right paperwork to show it is safe, etc, it cannot legally be imported. If you buy it from an Indian ebayer, and customs check it on arrival at you shores, it will be seized. And here in the UK, customs can also send you a bill/fine for the cost of them having your phone destroyed.

Posted via CB10

Edit: post in reply to Sonicpix above
    04-09-17 04:43 PM
    So you are saying, accept Google's terms or don't use the phone? Because that's the problem. In order to use their OS you have to allow they to collect.

15 years ago we called it spyware, today we call them apps.
    you can control what they collect though. Many services are opt in. There is plenty you can tell them no to
    satchit likes this.
    04-09-17 04:44 PM
    you can control what they collect though. Many services are opt in. There is plenty you can tell them no to
    Even if you did, the majority of the third party software works on the freemium model, so what would be the point.
    04-09-17 05:01 PM
    Even if you did, the majority of the third party software works on the freemium model, so what would be the point.
    you are right and i trust google with my info a ton more than lots of these devs with free apps. Everyone likes to go after google and they probably risk tons more using some apps out there
    BigBadWulf likes this.
    04-09-17 05:07 PM
259 ... 45678 ...