Nah
    Why wouldn't they do the same thing thing they did for the Idol 4s and the dtek60?

Kind of makes sense to re-use things you spend money of developing. A windows 10 mobile with a keyboard would be a world first. Don't they have the rights to everything blackberry now? If not I suppose they could make it with blackberry. BB might want in in the windows game, seeing a s high proportion of its existing user base doesn't like google android.

And actually a hardware keyboard would be EXTREMELY useful for the incoming arm32 emu. Say you have some chunky legacy software you use for your business (which many do). You'll now be able to use that on your phone - but its only any use with a proper keyboard, because it won't be touch friendly.

For businesses that could be basically invaluable. People could also play legacy games using the BB keyone keyboard, as both trackpad and keys....

There is currently a tiny portable keyboard + gaming console windows device from china that's selling like hotcakes.
    04-04-17 08:51 PM
    No idea which would be the next phone, app to me is a plus not a must. I will get another passport and use it until android rt 4.3 dies out. If I must choose, I guess I will reluctantly get one of the keyboard blackberry in future. Bb should have team up with cyanogenmod with basic gApp.

Posted from BlackBerry Passport.
    04-04-17 08:58 PM
    Why wouldn't they do the same thing thing they did for the Idol 4s and the dtek60?

Kind of makes sense to re-use things you spend money of developing. A windows 10 mobile with a keyboard would be a world first. Don't they have the rights to everything blackberry now? If not I suppose they could make it with blackberry. BB might want in in the windows game, seeing a s high proportion of its existing user base doesn't like google android.
    Almost certainly not - that would be a terrible deal for BB to make. You can be pretty certain that TCL's BB license only applies to BB-branded phones - and you can also bet that no one is going to make a PKB WinPhone, especially not if they have to pay to license the PKB design from someone else. There's already no money in WinPhone - the sales volumes just aren't enough to allow for a profit - and paying extra to license something that only a tiny few want would just put that company further in debt.
    04-04-17 09:35 PM
    I'm going to Microsoft Lumia after June, the 950! And after that... probably the Surface Phone in 2018. Definitely not going to Android chasing after BlackBerry.

Posted via CB10
    Flatman, Drael646464 and jope28 like this.
    04-04-17 09:44 PM
    Because I'm sure their licensing agreement with BlackBerry has a clause that says they won't use the same device to run Windows.
    04-04-17 10:07 PM
    Almost certainly not - that would be a terrible deal for BB to make. You can be pretty certain that TCL's BB license only applies to BB-branded phones - and you can also bet that no one is going to make a PKB WinPhone, especially not if they have to pay to license the PKB design from someone else. There's already no money in WinPhone - the sales volumes just aren't enough to allow for a profit - and paying extra to license something that only a tiny few want would just put that company further in debt.
    If that were true, alcatel wouldn't be making windows phones, and it wouldn't have gotten carrier support WAY easier than the keyONE for said phones. Clearly a low priced high end windows phone for enterprise is an easier sell that a blackberry branded android on some level.

But your right, if they have to license the keyboard that might be a killer. Still IDK why blackberry wouldn't want to get into windows, if TCL thought it was a good move. Android is a very crowded market space, existing BB customers are often reluctant to move to android. Windows is bound to grow, given the app gap is inevitably going to close.

And its not like the market isn't littered with failed android manufacturers, or most of them don't struggle to turn a decent buck. Xiaomi is probably doing a lot better that LG or HTC for example. Low profits is a reason atm not to try on take on Samsung as much as it is for is for not making windows phones.

The budget sector is a safer bet, if your talking android. Indeed that's why its the most popular OS, because of cheap petrol station smartphones, not because of premium devices. And with impending market saturation, that would be the better place to position oneself, somewhere in the midmarket.

Nokia is smart. When they got the license to their name back, that's immediately where they started.

A premium priced android phone, branded blackberry, probably has less chance of success than a mid priced windows phone, a far less dominated space. You are taking on the s8, and the next google pixel, after all. Or at least, trying to be generous to BB despite all failures so far, we are hardly talking "wildly successful proposition" and "uncertain idea". These are success propositions that are at least in the same ballpark, commercially.
    04-04-17 10:47 PM
    Because I'm sure their licensing agreement with BlackBerry has a clause that says they won't use the same device to run Windows.
    The Idol 4s, is pretty much exactly the same hardware as the dtek60. So much so, it basically feels and looks the same. TCL didn't ask BB permission for that, its their hardware. The real issue would be the BB keyboard patents.
    04-04-17 10:48 PM
    The Idol 4s, is pretty much exactly the same hardware as the dtek60. So much so, it basically feels and looks the same. TCL didn't ask BB permission for that, its their hardware. The real issue would be the BB keyboard patents.
    Sure. Let's just roll with that if that's how you believe it all went down. The DTEK50 and DTEK60 were not part of the same licensing terms but whatever...more test runs than anything. You're right about the keyboard being the highlight there, though, which goes back to the original point.. it's not going to happen.
    anon(9803228) likes this.
    04-04-17 10:51 PM
    Sure. Let's just roll with that if that's how you believe it all went down. The DTEK50 and DTEK60 were not part of the same licensing but whatever.
    Who owns TCLs hardware? TCL (and more likely the people that make the components). Blackberry only owns its patents. But hardware doesn't generally involve a lot of genuine IP anyway.

There's surface screens, iPhone chips, ipad chips, google pixel chips - all in other devices - theres a google pixel sensor in the keyone. Those companies don't make those things, they get Asian companies to make them. They don't own the IP.

For an example, apple owns the name "retina screen", but it doesn't actually own any of the screens themselves.

The only thing blackberry could make claim for in the keyONE is the brand itself, the BB software and the keyboard/interface patents.

Not that BB couldn't decide to make a windows phone. It's entirely up to them, what they do.

Whatever licensing agreement BB has with TCL, it doesn't cover components mostly made by other companies other than BB. And there was absolutely no hardware IP in the dtek60 at all.

Hence its TCL's to do whatever it likes with. Same for basically everything in the keyone except the keys itself.

Technically anyone could use the internal design of the keyone, save the patents. But I don't think phone companies hand out complete circuit designs for their products to anyone that asks.
    04-04-17 11:01 PM
    Who owns TCLs hardware? TCL (and more likely the people that make the components). Blackberry only owns its patents. No hardware company in their right mind would give someone else IP over their product production. But hardware doesn't generally involve a lot of genuine IP anyway.

There's surface screens, iPhone chips, ipad chips, google pixel chips - all in other devices - theres a google pixel sensor in the keyone. Those companies don't make those things, they get Asian companies to make them. They don't own the IP. The only thing blackberry could make claim for in the keyONE is the brand itself, the BB software and the keyboard/interface patents.

Not that BB couldn't decide to make a windows phone. It's entirely up to them, what they do.

Whatever licensing agreement BB has with TCL, it doesn't cover components mostly made by other companies other than BB. That's obvious.
    You can argue this all you want. A KEYone running Windows won't happen. If it does, I'll buy you one and you can do an Android KEYone vs. Windows KEYone post for CrackBerry lol. If nothing else, it would be an interesting device to see in action.
    BigBadWulf and jope28 like this.
    04-04-17 11:06 PM
    You can argue this all you want. A KEYone running Windows won't happen. If it does, I'll buy you one.
    I doubt that very much.
    04-04-17 11:17 PM
    I doubt that very much.
    Doubt a Windows KEYone will happen? Me too.
    Michelle Haag and BigBadWulf like this.
    04-04-17 11:20 PM
    Doubt a Windows KEYone will happen? Me too.
    No I doubt that you would be generous, and stick to your word.

That's not how you come across.
    04-04-17 11:26 PM

Gee, might it be because a KEYone running Windows is as absurd an idea as one running BB10?
    jope28 and melander like this.
    04-04-17 11:32 PM
    Gee, might it be because a KEYone running Windows is as absurd an idea as one running BB10?
    To me, it makes more sense that a BB phone trying to compete with the Samsung s8.
    04-04-17 11:42 PM

I would, if as noted you had Android KEYone to do a comparison with that I could post on the front page of CrackBerry. Would save me the time of writing it lol. Consider it a 'community review'.

Ease up there new guy. You're talking to the head honcho.
    anon(9803228) likes this.
    I would, if as noted you had Android KEYone to do a comparison with that I could post on the front page of CrackBerry. Would save me the time of writing it lol. Consider it a 'community review'.
    Okay, so you are actually promising to buy me a windows keyboard phone, based on the keyone hardware, should TCL release one? Or only if it's blackberry branded?

I think its probably slightly less likely than the keyone getting a carrier, but I'll certainly keep that in mind

The condition being that I trial/have a go on, an android keyone, if I am reading that right.
    04-04-17 11:54 PM
    Okay, so you are actually promising to buy me a windows keyboard phone, based on the keyone hardware, should TCL release one? Or only if it's blackberry branded?
    It has to based on the KEYone hardware. Must have the BlackBerry keyboard. Doesn't have to be BlackBerry branded.

eg: Idol 4S / DTEK60 scenario.

The condition being that I trial/have a go on, an android keyone, if I am reading that right.
    You must have a BlackBerry branded KEYone available to you to use and for comparison photos / scenarios. eg: - Samsung Galaxy S8+ vs. Galaxy S7 edge: Should you upgrade? | Android Central And obviously, you must be able to write up a good comparison picking out the highlights and flaws of each, which judging from your previous posts here, you should be able to do as they're well written.
    04-05-17 12:04 AM

You doubt his generosity, and yet you're still here. Put down the keyboard, and ponder that for a while.
    04-05-17 12:08 AM
    It has to based on the KEYone hardware. Must have the BlackBerry keyboard. Doesn't have to be BlackBerry branded.

eg: Idol 4S / DTEK60 scenario.

You must have a BlackBerry branded KEYone available to you to use and for comparison photos / scenarios. eg: - Samsung Galaxy S8+ vs. Galaxy S7 edge: Should you upgrade? | Android Central And obviously, you must be able to write up a good comparison picking out the highlights and flaws of each, which judging from your previous posts here, you should be able to do as they're well written.
    Well if it has to have the exact same keyboard as opposed to some other keyboard supplanted into the keyone, it would have to be blackberry branded. I don't think BB will feel generous enough to license it, or allow their keyboard tech to be used (given it'll be patented).

And yeah, I'd be happy to write an article for it. I've done blogs and a fair few product reviews. I'm very familiar with both windows and android.

Might be hard finding someone with a keyone they'd let me trial! In fact, finding someone in my country that has one, would probably be less likely than a windows 10 blackberry phone.

But that all sounds fair either way. I take my comment back.
    04-05-17 12:31 AM
    That mythical KeyOne with Windows on it would be my next phone if the unicorn that will give birth to it ever shows it face.

Even with the Idol 4S precedent, an Alcatel Android device with a physical keyboard that isn't BlackBerry branded is super duper unlikely (emphasis on the 'duper').

So, going back to the topic of the thread, all that is left to do is hope that my Passport keeps working well until the unicorns come.
    04-05-17 02:36 AM

Xiaomi mi max will likely be my next phone, because the passport has made every other screen seem tiny by comparison.

Posted via CB10
    Mi MAX is good phone my wife is using it. But this phone has Low Earphone Sound BUG not addressed yet. Another minus point for me is very heavy customization by MI. Though the OS works fine but does not allows even weather Temp in notification bar.
    Right now i am using Xperia XZ (XZ Premium is more suitable in size) with BlackBerry Hub+ this feature makes me feel close with my Z30 (now abandoned).
    04-05-17 02:55 AM
    That mythical KeyOne with Windows on it would be my next phone if the unicorn that will give birth to it ever shows it face.

Even with the Idol 4S precedent, an Alcatel Android device with a physical keyboard that isn't BlackBerry branded is super duper unlikely (emphasis on the 'duper').

So, going back to the topic of the thread, all that is left to do is hope that my Passport keeps working well until the unicorns come.
    We can dream yeah? :P
    jope28 likes this.
    04-05-17 03:30 AM
    Mi MAX is good phone my wife is using it. But this phone has Low Earphone Sound BUG not addressed yet. Another minus point for me is very heavy customization by MI. Though the OS works fine but does not allows even weather Temp in notification bar.
    Right now i am using Xperia XZ (XZ Premium is more suitable in size) with BlackBerry Hub+ this feature makes me feel close with my Z30 (now abandoned).
    That's a common bug these days with lots of tablets and phones. Guess you could always go Bluetooth?
    04-05-17 03:31 AM
259 1234 ...