I just wondered, where all the refugees from bb10 might end up going?

Whether you know of any other modern keyboard phones, or modern all touch phones with keyboard attachments too. For me, that's probably as important as the OS.

For me, even if Android did it for me (which I guess it kinda does, better than iOS I suppose), the new designs are more focused on the screen than the keyboard. Keyboard is compressed and minimised. And the size of the phones are quite large.

So where might you go, soon, or in 1-3 years, when you are cast out by the quirky but loveable bb10?

And what would you be looking for in a device?

Myself, I want something pocketable (If not I may as well carry a phablet/tablet), with a nice keyboard, hmdi out, and preferably a hybrid OS (at this stage ie windows, although perhaps samsungs android DeX will work out)
    fanq105 likes this.
    04-03-17 09:36 PM
    Not sure where I am going next, but I have had my Passport for 2 1/2 years now and it has fit my bill fine for now. When the time comes I will look at EVERYTHING.
    sonicpix likes this.
    04-03-17 09:40 PM
    I have no idea where I'd go next.
    Physical keyboard is great for me, but hdmi out isn't necessary since I use the Microsoft wireless display adapter with the Passport and it works well.

Am not a fan of Android on my phone.
    I use Android on two tablets now (first thing I do is root and install AdAway along with a few 'tweaks' that need root).
    BB10 has always felt less "fishy" since Goggle isn't involved, so never felt like I really needed that level of power over BB10 like I do with Android.

iOS is out of the question for me since I'm not a fan of many things Apple does.

My guess is that when my Passport dies, that I'll end up having to sacrifice my desire for a physical keyboard and just settle for whatever 'insignificant OS has the third place at that moment.

I'm Guessing that Microsoft will have given up on phones by then, so have no idea what that 3rd option will be.

If there is no 3rd option, then I guess I'd have to go Android, but not a BlackBerry Android device since I'd want to root any Android device.

I don't need what 'most users' look for since I just use what most ppl would consider "utility apps" plus the browser.
    Don't use social media or games on a phone.

I need a physical keyboard device to be released by someone unexpected lol.

Passport/10.3.2.2876
    dmlis likes this.
    04-03-17 10:13 PM
    I'm Guessing that Microsoft will have given up on phones by then, so have no idea what that 3rd option will be.
    While I wouldn't hold out hope for a surface phone, given Microsoft isn't really interested in it, nor really in hardware at all - Windows 10 mobile will continue to exist, and its getting a much needed update late this year (Redmond 3 - major UI changes, and win32 capability).

Also the windows store is growing fast due to the porting suites for iOS and Android, and the existence of Windows 10. In a year or two, the "app gap", will be pretty trivial at the rate its growing.

The philosophy of windows 10 is "an OS that will be able to run on any device". Something that can run on your fridge, your watch, your shoes, your phone, your PC. While its not their yet, and mobile is not a focus for the software giant, making small screens like mobile work well is definitely a part of there plan. It's a very long term plan, that sort of rides above more short term booms like the premium touch screen phone market.

If you compare that strategy with someone like apple these days, the contrast is huge. The premium smartphone market should take a major dive and slip into negative growth soon. A closed ecosystem like apples will never be able to play properly in the internet of things. Nor will android be able to work any type of device, screen or no screen, small and weak, large and powerful.

Microsoft is working on the long game. And to some degree everyone else is trying to copy them. Whether its the iPad pro, or Samsungs DeX.

When the ARM emu, and Redmond three come out, the mobile OS, will be fingers crossed, not only loads better UI wise, but capable of things no other smart phone comes close to (running full desktop software).

And I expect plenty of big OEMs like Samsung will give it a spin.
    TgeekB likes this.
    04-04-17 12:29 AM
    need something secure like blackberry.
    04-04-17 02:12 AM
    I have already made the basic transition to Android via PRIV. Now that so many phones are out in the market, I think I can look elsewhere unless BlackBerry makes a handset like the Z30 of the Passport on its Android platform - the perfect combination of performance and battery.

Posted via BlackBerry Z30
    04-04-17 02:33 AM
    Nokia 3310, old one. Most secure device in the world.

Cmon guys, everyone here talking about privacy and security, but 90% members have Facebook account. It's a so long privacy. You should put it like this way:
    -your blackberry is preventing OUT information without your knowledge, likewise for IN info.
    -you can't prevent what some app needs, like Whatsapp. That app read your contacts, need mic, camera, speaker, gallery, etc. And if you want to use it, you need to grant those permissions.

So no matter what OS you on, apps controls you if you give these permissions.

And for those BlackBerry protection software, there is a few other programs that does the same thing, so it's not revolutionary thing.

Just a quick example :

Your location is on. You go through some town, or yours town, in the way you meet some people, passengers, and you head up home. You start Facebook app, and in the Section People You Might Know, there is those same people you pass by or you saw in some Caffè! Privacy? No.

So you need to look for OS with best UI for you, app ecosystems and after all, best hardware for you.

That's why I use Motorola X Force for two months now, not a scratch on it, shutter proof display touch, stock Android without bloatware with root and tweaks that make my use easier.
    My second device is Z10, my business Sim card is in it, cause it compact device, lightweight and make phone calls great experience.

Posted via CB10
    jmr1015 likes this.
    04-04-17 02:37 AM
    I have already made the basic transition to Android via PRIV. Now that so many phones are out in the market, I think I can look elsewhere unless BlackBerry makes a handset like the Z30 of the Passport on its Android platform - the perfect combination of performance and battery.

I used android before bb10, before I got a blackberry phone. In fact I use android devices regularly due to my line of work.

I've never used iOS though, macOSX, but not iOS. Not that I like apple's walled garden closed system.

Yeah if you are after an android device, their are loads of them balanced to different needs and you can probably do better than BB droid. Just remember if you want battery life, to keep the resolution moderate (400-450 PPI like)
    04-04-17 03:43 AM
    So you need to look for OS with best UI for you, app ecosystems and after all, best hardware for you.
    I could care less about privacy. So far as I am concerned, the entire internet is a public space, and everything I say and do, over wireless, is public.

Unfortunately for me, I really do want hard keys. The convenience of being able to write long, detailed, careful e-mails is invaluable for my line of work. Touch keyboard just doesn't do.

Blackberry is the only one doing this.

But on the other hand, I'm not that fond of the android ecosystem. A lot of the software is second rate. As someone that grew up around the Amstrad, the vic20, early ibm etc, I expect a lot of technical flexibility and software power. That ability "to play with it".

Windows is the only one that fits here, especially the incoming arm emu/Redmond 3.

I'd also like total compatibility with other hardware - which sadly doesn't exist atm, too many little competitors. This does not work with that, and those do not work with these.

Android is probably the best here - more people write software for android to provide connectivity. But iOS is similar but its communications is locked down. Windows is a way behind, but you still do tend to get third party software. Outside of smart devices however, windows is the winner, and has more device compatibility (printers, controllers, peripherals)

I could get a Blackdroidows phone lol :P
    Last edited by Drael646464; 04-04-17 at 04:12 AM.
    04-04-17 03:52 AM
    While I wouldn't hold out hope for a surface phone, given Microsoft isn't really interested in it, nor really in hardware at all - Windows 10 mobile will continue to exist, and its getting a much needed update late this year (Redmond 3 - major UI changes, and win32 capability).

Also the windows store is growing fast due to the porting suites for iOS and Android, and the existence of Windows 10. In a year or two, the "app gap", will be pretty trivial at the rate its growing.

The philosophy of windows 10 is "an OS that will be able to run on any device". Something that can run on your fridge, your watch, your shoes, your phone, your PC. While its not their yet, and mobile is not a focus for the software giant, making small screens like mobile work well is definitely a part of there plan. It's a very long term plan, that sort of rides above more short term booms like the premium touch screen phone market.

If you compare that strategy with someone like apple these days, the contrast is huge. The premium smartphone market should take a major dive and slip into negative growth soon. A closed ecosystem like apples will never be able to play properly in the internet of things. Nor will android be able to work any type of device, screen or no screen, small and weak, large and powerful.

Microsoft is working on the long game. And to some degree everyone else is trying to copy them. Whether its the iPad pro, or Samsungs DeX.

When the ARM emu, and Redmond three come out, the mobile OS, will be fingers crossed, not only loads better UI wise, but capable of things no other smart phone comes close to (running full desktop software).

And I expect plenty of big OEMs like Samsung will give it a spin.
    Hope it's true and windows do stick around,i know one day I will have to move on from blackberry something I'm dreading,but I've already got over my hate-fear of apple and that's a viable option although not one I'm in a rush for,android is and always will be a no-go for me I've had years of using android devices and I'm happy now to never go back,so if one day my blackberrys do decide to go into the phone afterlife it would be good to know there is more choice out there,and I'm occasionally using my old lumia 925 hopefully if I do dip into windows full time the massive app gap will (fingers crossed)be that little bit narrower.

Posted via CB10
    jope28 likes this.
    04-04-17 04:08 AM
    Wanting something different, I'll be giving windows 10 a go

Posted via CB10
    Drael646464 and jope28 like this.
    04-04-17 04:17 AM
    I think I'd find the windows store MUCH easier to deal with than BBW, even now, after under two years of win 10, and only a year of the android and ios porting development suites.

At current count 669,000 uwps in the store. Still be a few years before it catches androids amazing 2.8 million, or apples 2.2 million.

However when win32 capability is added late this year, you are talking full chrome browser (and firefox and chrome) - and that has basically an app store inside it through chrome extensions - something android users and ios users might be a tad jelous of...

You can run these as self-contained windows with their own shortcut too.

Yeah, post Redmond 3 and win32 emu on arm, things should be looking pretty sweet on windows 10 mobile. Windows 10's growth has been pretty phenomenal, and over the years it's going to shift the balance of things.

For example in tablets, windows is growing, android is falling. Hybrid windows tablets are the biggest growth sector. That's a touch screen environment too. When you have an OS running on 25% and growing desktops, 5% and growing tablets - apparently over 200 million device _active_ devices - >

Well, you're going to get software development.

Really it doesn't matter what current market share of smartphones windows 10 has, they are still going to get phenomenal development of UWP apps because of the 200 million and growing active devices. And people as the write new iOS and Android apps, will want to get in on that.

Keeping in mind that's only 25% of the desktop market. There's another 50% sitting on windows 7, who eventually are going to upgrade, and won't be going to Mac OSX lol!

Very clever on microsofts part. With the UWP, the porting suite, ARM compatibility, their partnership with Samsung, everything they do is a long play, a careful intelligent move. Leveraging what they have, to get into what they don't.

Moving in like a game of thrones political coup....Props to the current CEO, he's a genius.
    Last edited by Drael646464; 04-04-17 at 05:04 AM.
    04-04-17 04:37 AM
    I tried Microsoft for a while. The lumia 950xl is the best Windows phone available, but the app support is worse than BB 10. Office ran great, but third party app reliability issues made me give up on it.

Xiaomi mi max will likely be my next phone, because the passport has made every other screen seem tiny by comparison.

Posted via CB10
    04-04-17 05:04 AM
    I tried Microsoft for a while. The lumia 950xl is the best Windows phone available, but the app support is worse than BB 10. Office ran great, but third party app reliability issues made me give up on it.

Xiaomi mi max will likely be my next phone, because the passport has made every other screen seem tiny by comparison.

Posted via CB10
    Ah, a phablet man. Well the Mi Max has great review ratings, and Xiaomi is a company I respect.

How long ago were you using the Lumia?
    Last edited by Drael646464; 04-04-17 at 06:02 AM.
    04-04-17 05:33 AM
    I was researching all the non-nokia phones with windows 10 (for fun). HP elite x3. Acatel. Cube (cheapy phablet option).

I just learnt that TCL, owns alcatel. They made the Acatel Idol 4S Windows 10 phone with essentially the same hardware they used to make the dtek60 blackdroid phone.

I wonder would they do the same thing with the keyONE?
    04-04-17 05:48 AM
    Admittedly it was a while now, and I know the X3 has slightly higher specs (and at a ridiculously higher price tag).

I think I would try windows mobile again if Microsoft release the surface phone.

Posted via CB10
    04-04-17 06:35 AM
    The Alcatel Idol 4s is a lot cheaper. Although its fairly comparable to the 950.

I think we will see a lot of others manufacturers experiment with 10 mobile after the update. I find it fascinating that TCL basically reused hardware it developed for blackberry, for their windows phone (And by all accounts its a decent phone). Bet they found it A LOT easier to get a carrier with that phone too (as opposed to the keyone).

Microsofts MO is new form factors.

So no doubt they want a unique form factor for the surface phone, as well as new forms for wearables.

They have patented a keyboard cover for it. Not sure what they have planned there.

I know they are working on Cortana as a "superapp", with skype bots running under it (like a conversational app store), and I'd expect they'd want to perfect that more before they release a smart home device - especially given they are basically useless gimmicks at this stage. No one even uses assistants that much anyway yet.

But their plan for voice is different from all the rest, much like their plans for everything else. They also purchased the first AI company to develop an AI that _understands_ language. In a primitive sense, but it actually learns the meaning of words from their context.

Seems like they'd rather "get it right" than just release with these things. The HoloLens is still in development, despite pretty full intergration into the OS. They basically sprung the surface studio on everyone.

The windows phone hype reminds me a bit of the foldable screen hype. They've been talking about that as a "rumoured release' since Microsoft and Samsung showed their joint developed prototype in like 2013. (People will go bonkers for it like the iPhone 1)

But it's most likely half a decade, maybe more off mass production. Right now it costs thousands for a single phone. Its based on ultra-tech graphene after all.

Surface phone won't be that bad, I'd say, 2-3 years, but it ain't coming soon.

Myself, I'd pee my pants if TCL re-used the keyone frame/keyboard for their next alcatel Idol phone. I would wait in a line for that.

I wouldn't want to see 3gb's in their though, bit low considering windows phone will be able to run desktop apps soon. 4 would be plenty.
    Last edited by Drael646464; 04-04-17 at 07:09 AM.
    04-04-17 06:59 AM
    The other thing that seems quite possible we'll see more of is much more of what Microsoft did with the Xiaomi mi 4 - custom roms people can use to install windows over android. The rom for the mi 4 is an official Microsoft rom. And I am sure they developed this, with that kind of use in mind.
    04-04-17 07:22 AM
    The Alcatel Idol 4s is a lot cheaper. Although its fairly comparable to the 950.

I think we will see a lot of others manufacturers experiment with 10 mobile after the update. I find it fascinating that TCL basically reused hardware it developed for blackberry, for their windows phone (And by all accounts its a decent phone). Bet they found it A LOT easier to get a carrier with that phone too (as opposed to the keyone).

Microsofts MO is new form factors.

So no doubt they want a unique form factor for the surface phone, as well as new forms for wearables.

They have patented a keyboard cover for it. Not sure what they have planned there.

I know they are working on Cortana as a "superapp", with skype bots running under it (like a conversational app store), and I'd expect they'd want to perfect that more before they release a smart home device - especially given they are basically useless gimmicks at this stage. No one even uses assistants that much anyway yet.

But their plan for voice is different from all the rest, much like their plans for everything else. They also purchased the first AI company to develop an AI that _understands_ language. In a primitive sense, but it actually learns the meaning of words from their context.

Seems like they'd rather "get it right" than just release with these things. The HoloLens is still in development, despite pretty full intergration into the OS. They basically sprung the surface studio on everyone.

The windows phone hype reminds me a bit of the foldable screen hype. They've been talking about that as a "rumoured release' since Microsoft and Samsung showed their joint developed prototype in like 2013. (People will go bonkers for it like the iPhone 1)

But it's most likely half a decade, maybe more off mass production. Right now it costs thousands for a single phone. Its based on ultra-tech graphene after all.

Surface phone won't be that bad, I'd say, 2-3 years, but it ain't coming soon.

Myself, I'd pee my pants if TCL re-used the keyone frame/keyboard for their next alcatel Idol phone. I would wait in a line for that.

I wouldn't want to see 3gb's in their though, bit low considering windows phone will be able to run desktop apps soon. 4 would be plenty.
    Having just watched a review of the elite x3 it's a big phone and a very expensive phone at that,if TCL ever in the land of wishful thinking did a windows type blackberry phone then as much I feel it would be a big step down from bb10 I think I could live with it(maybe).

Posted via CB10
    jope28 and Flatman like this.
    04-04-17 10:42 AM
    Having just watched a review of the elite x3 it's a big phone and a very expensive phone at that,if TCL ever in the land of wishful thinking did a windows type blackberry phone then as much I feel it would be a big step down from bb10 I think I could live with it(maybe).

Posted via CB10
    TCL currently makes Windows phones under their Alcatel brand. Why would they pay a royalty to BlackBerry to use the brand Windows?
    04-04-17 04:19 PM
    TCL currently makes Windows phones under their Alcatel brand. Why would they pay a royalty to BlackBerry to use the brand Windows?
    Sorry I didn't know that,it's been a while since I've used a windows phone on a regular basis that one being the 925 I'm trying to use now and see if I want to get back into windows,when I used it I think there was only HTC,samsung and of course nokia doing windows phones.

Posted via CB10
    04-04-17 04:29 PM
    Again at the risk of being shot down are they making phones in the UK?I've only seen Microsoft and hp at the top end.

Posted via CB10
    04-04-17 05:30 PM

Well that's what the keyone is supposed to be lol
    04-04-17 05:45 PM
    They wouldn't I don't think. They'd just make an Alcatel windows phone with most or all of the same hardware as the keyone, as they did with the dtek and the Idol 4S
    04-04-17 08:31 PM
    They wouldn't I don't think. They'd just make an Alcatel windows phone with most or all of the same hardware as the keyone, as they did with the dtek and the Idol 4S
    Nah
    04-04-17 08:35 PM
259 123 ...