So, the future of BB10 is in the air, but listening to Chen, it seems regardless of how well the Priv does BB10 is basically set up for failure...

If the Priv sells well, that just justifies replacing BB10 with Android for al future BB handsets.

If the Priv bombs, then that justifies them exiting the handset business...

Unless I'm missing something, is there a situation where BB continues to make handsets and actually puts BB10 on them??

Posted without the aid of AutoCorrect with my physical keyboard via CB10
    whattiger likes this.
    11-01-15 04:22 PM
    If large enterprise/government customers demand the added security BB10/BES supposedly offers, and are willing to irrevocably commit to collectively buying many millions of them each year, sure. At least that's what I got.
    DrBoomBotz and RyanGermann like this.
    11-01-15 04:31 PM
    If large enterprise/government customers demand the added security BB10/BES supposedly offers, and are willing to irrevocably commit to collectively buying many millions of them each year, sure. At least that's what I got.
    Ok, I didn't really think of that. Hopefully that happens and they make the devices available to consumers as well. I've tried every platform and cannot for the life of me understand how so many people prefer the others...

acovey and Asvertus like this.
    11-01-15 05:11 PM
    Ok, I didn't really think of that. Hopefully that happens and they make the devices available to consumers as well. I've tried every platform and cannot for the life of me understand how so many people prefer the others...

Look at the price of the Blackphone, Boeing Black and Secusmart tablet. If you think that consumers will buy phones at that price point then they will probably continue to be available. Otherwise they may continue to to be available to those will to pay the price.

LeapSTR100-2/10.3.2.2639
    11-01-15 06:39 PM
    The horse is long dead and in a plastic bottle now. Still useful though cause you can squeeze it out to stick things together like repetitive threads.

Posted via CB10
    11-02-15 07:49 AM
    The horse is long dead and in a plastic bottle now. Still useful though cause you can squeeze it out to stick things together like repetitive threads.

Posted via CB10
    Glad you still care enough to spend time to comment.

gugomat likes this.
    11-02-15 07:59 AM
    If any new devices come specifically for government and corporate clients they'll probably be priced accordingly to support the low sales volume. So the sticker shock might be debilitating.

Posted from BlackBerry Classic, T-Mobile, no camera, 10.3.2.2514
    11-02-15 11:46 AM
    I don't see it happening under Chen. Chen wants to be done developing "drivers" for new chipsets, maintaining BBW, maintaining BB Maps, maintaining BB10 facebook app, etc...etc.. (you get the idea) in addition to BB10 itself. It's not just the OS - it's all the rest that goes along with it. He would love to let others take care of those problems (Google Play Store, Google Maps, Facebook, whatever) and get those losers off his books. He loves the cheap entry into Android, but that cheapness is wasted if he is stuck providing BB10 and all the supporting apps along side his Android offering(s), and at a big loss.

I think BB10 was somewhat salvageable when Chen first came in. I don't think it is now - especially with the complete apathy Chen has transmitted to the world towards the platform.

Posted via CB10
    11-02-15 12:59 PM
    I don't see it happening under Chen. Chen wants to be done developing "drivers" for new chipsets, maintaining BBW, maintaining BB Maps, maintaining BB10 facebook app, etc...etc.. (you get the idea) in addition to BB10 itself. It's not just the OS - it's all the rest that goes along with it. He would love to let others take care of those problems (Google Play Store, Google Maps, Facebook, whatever) and get those losers off his books. He loves the cheap entry into Android, but that cheapness is wasted if he is stuck providing BB10 and all the supporting apps along side his Android offering(s), and at a big loss.

I think BB10 was somewhat salvageable when Chen first came in. I don't think it is now - especially with the complete apathy Chen has transmitted to the world towards the platform.

Posted via CB10
    Seems Android was the game pretty much from early on in Chen's reign:

Most people go to Las Vegas to gamble, party or see a show.

On a warm winter's day in January 2014, Ron Louks journeyed to Vegas. But he wasn't there to try his luck at the tables. He was there, on one of his first days on the job as head of BlackBerry's smartphone business, to bet on the company's future.

After landing in the desert city at the start of the annual Consumer Electronics Show, Louks checked in with BlackBerry CEO John Chen and then set off for his first and most important appointment. Tellingly, it wasn't with a wireless carrier or one of BlackBerry's manufacturing partners. It was with Google.

"Android, in our mind, was a longtime coming," Louks said in an interview last week.

Chen, a software industry veteran hired to help save the Canadian company in late 2013, had already been talking to Google about how BlackBerry could better work with Android mobile software, the world's most popular operating system.

Inside BlackBerry's last-ditch plan to win you back with Android - CNET
    11-02-15 02:56 PM
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BlackBerry_10

5 sentences down from the top states why OS10 is well on it's way to being a dead horse.
    The CNET article quoted above shows that BlackBerry had planned on moving to Android many months before launching the Passport, Classic and several other OS10 phones.
    11-02-15 06:45 PM
    Regardless of the doom and gloom forecast of BB10, after using Android and iOS, i think this is the best phone software ive had to date. So efficient and fluid. Will use my bb10 device until it extincts!
    11-02-15 09:22 PM
    They need to leverage the secure Voip thing, the virtual second number, etc. Those are killer features they got the patents locked down and now they need to capitalize on them.

It could also convert some (few) who like the BlackBerry experience on Android and don't care for apps and decide to go for the pure tish of BB10.

Posted via CB10
    11-02-15 09:39 PM